The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
Lots of royals want to get the best of both worlds. Getting all the benefits of being royal and living a normal life as a non royal would do. I agree that he will have lots of responsabilities when he becomes not just King of England but head of the anglican church and for that reason he must respect the principles and beliefs of the church, even when he does not agree with them.
of course ! I like your point.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
True, at least somewhat with regard to Prince Charles, although it should be noted he had the chance to marry Camilla Shand in the 70's, but let her slip away with his uncertainty. If he had proposed, it is highly likely Camilla's upper class background would have been deemed acceptable for marriage to the Prince of Wales.
Well, considering what happened when it was found that Davina Sheffield had lived with a previous boyfriend, I have to wonder about that. I gather Camilla had quite a history by the time she met Charles.

Quote:
Whether Kate Middleton is deemed a candidate for marriage to Prince William remains to be seen. I think the press is getting very carried away and I doubt they are planning to marry anytime soon.
I hope that's true. However, I think that the longer they're together, the harder it's going to be for her to eventually leave the lifestyle she's becoming accustomed to. At least I suppose she's meeting a lot of people in Prince William's circle of friends so that if she doesn't marry him, she might end up with someone else from a privileged background. Otherwise she's going to have quite an adjustment to make.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:43 AM
Serene Highness

Double standards

Quote:
True, at least somewhat with regard to Prince Charles, although it should be noted he had the chance to marry Camilla Shand in the 70's, but let her slip away with his uncertainty. If he had proposed, it is highly likely Camilla's upper class background would have been deemed acceptable for marriage to the Prince of Wales.
Camilla's background hardly ever was a problem. The problem was that she was notoriously a red-blooded woman and had spent a great part of her youth hopping from bed to bed. That was the issue.

Quote:
If anything, Diana's behavior during the marriage was hardly admirable and she had many affairs, most of which were very indiscreet. So, it's hard to see why Charles should be condemned for the rest of his life for doing the same thing his former wife was up to.
Would have Charles stayed faithful, it is unlikely she would have strayed. Diana can hardly been condemned from not approving nor sharing the wicked upper-class moral and its double standards. Whatever relationships Diana had in her life, it was after Charles did cheat on her and after she realised he did marry her out of love; so yeah, I intend to condemn him for the rest of his life.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Aristocracy

diana had to have a virginity test. is this so that they can make sure her children are really heirs? will that be neccessary for kate if she marries wills? they have dna testing nowadays
Old 08-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Nobility

as Kate and Wills have been living together for the last 3 years, i don't think them living together now is that much a problem, though as the future head of the church this can't be praised... living in Clarence House, that's another issue-_- do they do that to cut off security fee? i guess if they live outside Clarence House, some people would complain that they are paying money for the security of a woman who is not even a royal fiancee yet.

btw, there are reports of this living together thing in our local paper, but they say their sources are Daily Express & Daily Star. anybody see these claimed reports?

btw2, as for reliable sources, can you plz give some names of reliable sources about BRF(besides their official website)? thanks!

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
The British public will not be paying for William's expenses and he has millions of his own private money (a trust from the Queen Mother and another from Princess Diana) to utilize. That's not an issue.
If Kate starts to live with William, the Royal House will pay for her security not William. And the Royal House is mantained by public money, so yes that's an issue.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
If Kate starts to live with William, the Royal House will pay for her security not William. And the Royal House is mantained by public money, so yes that's an issue.
That money is being spent anyway. No additional mone would be spent with Kate there. Also Camilla lived with Charles before they married.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Lots of royals want to get the best of both worlds. Getting all the benefits of being royal and living a normal life as a non royal would do. I agree that he will have lots of responsabilities when he becomes not just King of England but head of the anglican church and for that reason he must respect the principles and beliefs of the church, even when he does not agree with them.
I've always noticed that modern royals are like this too. They whine about the lack of privacy and their duties, but they take to the perks like VIP treatment and lavish lifestyle easily enough.

Quote:
I think that the longer they're together, the harder it's going to be for her to eventually leave the lifestyle she's becoming accustomed to.
Agreed. She should live on her own so that if all falls apart, she isn't kicked out into the cold and still has her own place. And she might be meeting a lot of people in William's circle, but it might not mean that she will continue to move in those circles if William and her break up. Supposedly the Van Cutsems were kind to Diana while she was married to Charles, but turned on her the minute her and Charles divorced. For all we know Kate could/will be completely dropped by all those around William if/when they break up.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Royal Highness

Yeah. Diana was a virgin when she married. She hardly had a boyfriend outside of Charles and ppl on here paint her as more of a scarlet woman than camilla.

A virginity test was to determine if Diana was a virgin. I doubt any bride of William's will be subjected to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Camilla's background hardly ever was a problem. The problem was that she was notoriously a red-blooded woman and had spent a great part of her youth hopping from bed to bed. That was the issue.

Would have Charles stayed faithful, it is unlikely she would have strayed. Diana can hardly been condemned from not approving nor sharing the wicked upper-class moral and its double standards. Whatever relationships Diana had in her life, it was after Charles did cheat on her and after she realised he did marry her out of love; so yeah, I intend to condemn him for the rest of his life.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Serene Highness

I looks to me like Kate's just trying to play her cards right. If she's patient enough and doesn't slip up there's a possibility that she may become Williams wife. Personally I think she's great. She does not come across as a bimbo - like some women who may hurl themselves at Wills, she's educated, well put together & discreet. If she's hung on to him this long chance are they may marry. Living together may put that all into prespective for them. She may also want tim to use her degree towards a career right now, I mean since she just got it.

I think that living together is a wonderful way to see if there right for eachother. Future King or not what it comes down to is that they are both human and capable of the same mistakes as everyone else. People tend to forget that.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel

Bravo Idriel!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailstalia
diana had to have a virginity test. is this so that they can make sure her children are really heirs? will that be neccessary for kate if she marries wills? they have dna testing nowadays
This is nonsense created by the press at the time. Diana was no virgin at the time of her marriage and this was not a requirement. Of course, if a bevy of men started yakking about their relationship with her before she married, this likely would have diqualified her at the time.

Diana was required to undergo a medical exam to ensure she could bear children and didn't have any major medical problems to pass on. This is standard procedure for marriage to the heir to the throne. Whether William's fiancee will have to do the same is an open question, but I assume this would required as well.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu An
Supposedly the Van Cutsems were kind to Diana while she was married to Charles, but turned on her the minute her and Charles divorced. For all we know Kate could/will be completely dropped by all those around William if/when they break up.
I think that one of most divorced couples winds up keeping the friends. And usually it's the one with the most assets and/or fame.

However glamorous Diana might have been, it all comes down to the fact that someday Charles will be king -- and people want an "in" with the monarch. I guess it's natural, most of these people's families have toadied to the monarch for centuries.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=lashinka2002]I looks to me like Kate's just trying to play her cards right. If she's patient enough and doesn't slip up there's a possibility that she may become Williams wife. [QUOTE]

Kate would become more than just William's wife....she would become a princess of the UK with precedence directly after the Queen and Camilla.

If this actually happens, she would be the first woman in British history to become Princess of Wales and then Queen Consort who is not from a royal or aristocratic family.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Commoner

Really?? I didn't know she wasn't virgin at the time she married... that's not the image they gave of her at the time here in spain... they pictured her as the ideal bride for Charles, young, innocent, with no past relationships and this meant she was virgin... if she wasn't, what were her previous relationships??
thanks a lot

Quote:
This is nonsense created by the press at the time. Diana was no virgin at the time of her marriage and this was not a requirement. Of course, if a bevy of men started yakking about their relationship with her before she married, this likely would have diqualified her at the time.

Diana was required to undergo a medical exam to ensure she could bear children and didn't have any major medical problems to pass on. This is standard procedure for marriage to the heir to the throne. Whether William's fiancee will have to do the same is an open question, but I assume this would required as well.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Aristocracy

I think that Prince Charles is coving him up for all the wrong he did in the past, He knows that it's wrong for Wills to be living with her but since Prince Charles did it before he no authority of telling him what to do. But I still think that it's wring for him to act this way.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Diana was no virgin at the time of her marriage
Your source? Since this contradicts a public statement made by her uncle at the time of the engagement, I assume you have something to back it up.

Ailstalia, I think it was a fertility test, not a virginity test. Bit of a waste of time to even think of applying the latter to Kate since she's been living with William for a while.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Your source? Since this contradicts a public statement made by her uncle at the time of the engagement, I assume you have something to back it up.
I don't know that your uncle is the most reliable source of information on that topic! (Mine wouldn't have a clue.)

While we're on the topic of the propriety of Kate and William living together, it occurred to me this morning that Sophie lived with Edward at BP for a long time. (Been so long I had forgotten about that.)
Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

I meant, that you don't normally walk up to your uncle and announce "I'm not a virgin!" I would doubt that Diana's uncle was any better informed than anybody else's uncle. (Of course, it being the puritanical 1980s and with Diana apparently wanting to marry the prince, it would make sense for her uncle to say that if someone were rude enough to inquire.) :)
Old 08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth

Ailstalia, I think it was a fertility test, not a virginity test. Bit of a waste of time to even think of applying the latter to Kate since she's been living with William for a while.
It has been well-documented in the many books written about Diana and the Spencers that Diana had several relationships with various aristocrats in her circle before her marriage to Prince Charles. Two were quoted as saying she was an experienced lover and very passionate.

In addition, several biographers, quoting members of the royal household at the time, have stated Charles and Diana were quietly lovers at Sandringham, Buckingham Palace and Balmoral prior to the wedding. I highly doubt Diana was a virgin.

Tags
prince william, relationships