The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

I tend to agree with iowabelle. I am sure William is going to be aware of the bloodlines of any woman he falls in love with, but following the disastrous marriage of his father, I think a well bred, upper middle class woman with a good head on her shoulders that he is truly in love with, will take precedence over a marriage just for "aristocratic" bloodlines. And I think such a marriage would receive support from both Prince Charles and the Queen. "The times they are a changin'" and I really think "bloodlines" just aren't what they used to be. Sure, there are still many old money snobs out there who believe in "bloodlines" but I have more confidence in the British Royal family's ideas on who William can marry, especially after the Charles/Diana debacle, than to believe they would necessarily make an aristocrat a criterion for marriage. None of the Queen's children is married to a true aristocrat and we are a generation removed from that. But -- we shall see -- I surely could be quite wrong.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Prince Filip of Belgium married with an aristocratic lady (Princess Mathilde) and I think he did what he had to do: find a person he really loved but someone who belonged to the aristocracy. And they seem to be a very happy couple! I think William should do the same.
Prince William will be the King of England and the Head of his Church. He should behave by the norms of this church, so he should marry first.
And I would like that someone could reply to me: who is gonna pay the expenses of Kate?

Old 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think William is a pretty strong-willed individual and will make his own choice. I am sure that he won't go out of his way to pick an unsuitable girl (like Britney Spears, Paris Hilton and their kind).

A major difference from his father is that William has been out in more of the "real world". He's had an opportunity to meet other people -- of course, most of the people he has met have money and privilege.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
Prince Filip of Belgium married with an aristocratic lady (Princess Mathilde) and I think he did what he had to do: find a person he really loved but someone who belonged to the aristocracy. And they seem to be a very happy couple! I think William should do the same.
Prince William will be the King of England and the Head of his Church. He should behave by the norms of this church, so he should marry first.
And I would like that someone could reply to me: who is gonna pay the expenses of Kate?
William will do the same at some point in the future. He's already made clear he is too young to get married, so I think it's a very big leap to assume that he and Kate are headed for Westminster Abbey just because they are living together again.

As far as expenses go, I'm sure everything will be taken care of by William. Kate is not going to be expected to contribute to the household expenses of a multimillionaire grandson of the Sovereign.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Nobility

Like it or hate it, this is their life, not ours; therefore they can conduct their relationship however they want. Me personally, I wouldn't take too kindly to people's "advice" about good or bad our relationship will turn out just because of our living arrangements. It's really nobody else's business.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
And I think such a marriage would receive support from both Prince Charles and the Queen. "The times they are a changin'" and I really think "bloodlines" just aren't what they used to be. Sure, there are still many old money snobs out there who believe in "bloodlines" but I have more confidence in the British Royal family's ideas on who William can marry, especially after the Charles/Diana debacle, than to believe they would necessarily make an aristocrat a criterion for marriage. None of the Queen's children is married to a true aristocrat and we are a generation removed from that. But -- we shall see -- I surely could be quite wrong.
It doesn't matter what Prince Charles or the Queen thinks. The monarchy reigns, but does not rule. The Government and the Establishment will do everything in their power to ensure the Crown stays strong and never diminshes. That way they can continue to exercise the royal perogative any way they want to.

If William's proposed marriage to a commoner was not accepted by the Establishment, he would be told in no uncertain terms to move on to another candidate. If not, they will force him to renounce his place in the line of succession. This is the way it is.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

Your original point was that he had to marry into the aristocracy and I disagree. Now you seem to be saying something different...that if a proposed marriage to a commoner is deemed unsuitable by the Establishment William would be told to move on. That might be the case depending on circumstances. I still maintain that the opinion of PC and QEII does matter to William. In several different interviews he has mentioned the high regard he has for both of them, how he frequently bounces ideas off of his father because he respects him, and most recently he said this in an interview as he prepared to leave St. Andrews.

I will leave my thoughts here since this has gotten off topic.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Didn't he already live with his girlfriend?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Courtier

I think that if William wants to live with his girlfriend, he should be allowed. Especially since he apparently sought permission and approval from his father and grandmother.

King or not, it's the 21st century and many couples live together before marriage in this day and age. Some couples end up getting married whiel others do not. But living together enables couples to know if they are compatible and can deal with the day to day annoyances that are bound to crop up when you have to get used to someone else's habits and quirks.

At the height of Diana's popularity there was a lot of praise for how compassionate she was and how she would hold people's hands and really talk to them without gloves or whatever. While the Queen and Princess Anne and Prince Charles were staid, cold and unapproachable individuals. There was great demand for the monarchy to change with the times and to take Diana's lead. Slowly the monarchy did evolve and since Diana's death we've seen the Queen and Charles's approach to their royal engagements soften and become more approachable.

So shouldn't the same standard be held for William? Shouldn't the monarchy change with the times now too and allow William's life to reflect that of thousands of other people his age who also live with their girlfriends and boyfriends prior to marriage? Living with Kate would not be any different than what Johnny Smith down the street is doing. William has a right to a personal life too, even if he will one day be king. And in that personal life he deserves to be happy and fully committed to the woman who will be his wife.

Charles wasn't fully committed to the (first) woman who became his wife and look at where that's gotten us.

I applaud Charles and Elizabeth for allowing William to live with his girlfriend. They are putting his happiness before the "family business" unlike with Charles, when they put the family business before Charles's happiness, putting a virgial aristocrat in his life rather than his true love.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Your original point was that he had to marry into the aristocracy and I disagree. Now you seem to be saying something different...that if a proposed marriage to a commoner is deemed unsuitable by the Establishment William would be told to move on. That might be the case depending on circumstances.
My only point is that no matter how much the Queen and Prince Charles may want to grant William his personal happiness, it is a state matter when it comes to marriage. It may very well be times have changed, but whether the Establishment has changed and is prepared to allow a future King to marry a commoner, rather than an aristocrat, remains to be seen.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
I think that if William wants to live with his girlfriend, he should be allowed. Especially since he apparently sought permission and approval from his father and grandmother.

King or not, it's the 21st century and many couples live together before marriage in this day and age. Some couples end up getting married whiel others do not. But living together enables couples to know if they are compatible and can deal with the day to day annoyances that are bound to crop up when you have to get used to someone else's habits and quirks.

At the height of Diana's popularity there was a lot of praise for how compassionate she was and how she would hold people's hands and really talk to them without gloves or whatever. While the Queen and Princess Anne and Prince Charles were staid, cold and unapproachable individuals. There was great demand for the monarchy to change with the times and to take Diana's lead. Slowly the monarchy did evolve and since Diana's death we've seen the Queen and Charles's approach to their royal engagements soften and become more approachable.

So shouldn't the same standard be held for William? Shouldn't the monarchy change with the times now too and allow William's life to reflect that of thousands of other people his age who also live with their girlfriends and boyfriends prior to marriage? Living with Kate would not be any different than what Johnny Smith down the street is doing. William has a right to a personal life too, even if he will one day be king. And in that personal life he deserves to be happy and fully committed to the woman who will be his wife.

Charles wasn't fully committed to the (first) woman who became his wife and look at where that's gotten us.

I applaud Charles and Elizabeth for allowing William to live with his girlfriend. They are putting his happiness before the "family business" unlike with Charles, when they put the family business before Charles's happiness, putting a virgial aristocrat in his life rather than his true love.
I applaud your post Genevieve. It is the 21st century and some things must change, including the high divorce rate of the Royal Family. I think William needs to have some experience of how commoners deal with love, relationships and the like. He doesn't need his father's example, that is for sure. At least this is out in the open and honest. William needs to rack up all the normal experiences he can before he becomes King.

I also think this is good for Kate if she does marry William. It could be an "apprenticeship" like Sophie had. The Royal Family took their time with Sophie and really showed her the ropes, unlike Diana and Fergie. This could be the chance for Kate to learn and decide if this is what she wants and if she truly loves William. Only time and experience will answer that question.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Sources?

So our two sources for this information are "Spanish media" and the 'femalefirst' entertainment internet site.
I suppose then it must be true!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
You mean as opposed to a divorced/widowed father who lives with his girlfriend in the same house as his teenaged sons? :)
Excellent point Iowabelle!! Kudos to you!!!!:) :)
Old 08-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
So our two sources for this information are "Spanish media" and the 'femalefirst' entertainment internet site.
...so far. It seems that the other media sources keep quiet.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:24 AM
Royal Highness

Freinds, open your eyes and look at all the other Crown princes of Europe, with the exception of Belgium they all married commoners, some with scandals and divorces, they obviously had intimate relations with them, and for sure some lived together prior to being married or engaged. I think that is what makes Philipe and Mathilde so attractive to me, their noble way of living before marriage.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
If William's proposed marriage to a commoner was not accepted by the Establishment, he would be told in no uncertain terms to move on to another candidate. If not, they will force him to renounce his place in the line of succession. This is the way it is.
I'm totally bemused by your statement. The Establishment (and I would be very glad if you explain what exactly you mean by this) would not let the monarchy be weakened by a future King marrying a commoner?
And Camilla? Is she the secret daughter of the Queen of Sheba? You really can't do more common than her (in every sense of the world) and she will be the next Queen (not bad for the daughter of a wine merchant). I haven't heard the "Establishment" protest too much. As far as British marriages are concerned, it's pretty obvious that Charles set new standards: if he was able to marry a woman as loaded as Camilla, now William can marry whoever he wants.
Beside, I really think you're over estimating the power of the Establishment (whatever it means) over the BRF. It's not the 30's anymore. To kick off William out of the succession line, they will need a very good reason (and that would be a suicide for the monarchy to do so IMO).
Old 08-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Royal Highness

It is their lives and they can do what they want. Times have changed. Wills' great-great uncle had to abdicate the throne in order to marry a divorcee. Now the next King of England is married to a divorcee and he doesn't need to abdicate. Plus didn't they already live together when they were at St. Andrews?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Royal Highness

The Establishment is known as the British Royal Family.

Yeah I agree. Charles has set new and lower standards for the monarchy, so I guess WIlliam can marry whomever he wants.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Royal Highness

I personally feel that William living together with Kate on royal property is a bad idea. Despite the fact that the royal standards have sunk considerably low, it still sends the wrong message. William is a young man and chances are that Kate will not be his last girlfriend.Will all of William's girlfriends be living in Clarence house after they have been dating for a while? Had William been in his 30s and planning to head down the aisle soon living together for a few months prior to the wedding would've been fine.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Really, Warren, you're such a cynic...

Tags
prince william, relationships