The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe I'm not old-fashioned, but so long as both sets of parents are cool with this, I don't understand what the big fuss is over these two living together.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Courtier

I am against the idea that Prince William living with Kate before they get engaged. There is no objection for them to spend as much time as they want together. But formally living in Clarence House without an engagement is not moral. For Kate Middleton, I am a bit dispointed that she was not from an upper class background or with a better bloodline. But if that is William's choice, just leave it along.I don't think William should sacrifice his martial happiness for his royal duty. Probably just wait and see.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat

For me, it doesn't matter so much what he decides to do. It's really just his life & his decision, and although it affects his public image, to my mind, it doesn't really affect that much else.
It doesn't affect much else who he chooses to make the future queen of the UK? The thing is, as it has been pointed out, he will wield little real political power as king - his public image is a very large part of his job because he is the embodiment of Britain's public image.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
I am against the idea that Prince William living with Kate before they get engaged. There is no objection for them to spend as much time as they want together. But formally living in Clarence House without an engagement is not moral. For Kate Middleton, I am a bit dispointed that she was not from an upper class background or with a better bloodline. But if that is William's choice, just leave it along.I don't think William should sacrifice his martial happiness for his royal duty. Probably just wait and see.

How is living together without being engaged not moral? I don't get that. If they received permission to do so, what's the problem?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
How is living together without being engaged not moral? I don't get that. If they received permission to do so, what's the problem?
Among other things, one problem is the fact that the church over which William will someday be head believes that living together before marriage is a sin...slight problem. Also, in my opinon, moral issues aside, it sets a bad precedent...if this relationship doesn't result in marriage, will all future royal girlfriends move into the palace in succession? Even if her living there doesn't at all burden the tax payers, I can't help but think that moving into the royal palace ought to be predicated by deciding to become royal - i.e. an engagement.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Elizabeth
Among other things, one problem is the fact that the church over which William will someday be head believes that living together before marriage is a sin...slight problem. Also, in my opinon, moral issues aside, it sets a bad precedent...if this relationship doesn't result in marriage, will all future royal girlfriends move into the palace in succession? Even if her living there doesn't at all burden the tax payers, I can't help but think that moving into the royal palace ought to be predicated by deciding to become royal - i.e. an engagement.

Obviously the RF doesn't care much about the concept of it being a sin if they let him do it. I think if that truly was an issue, they wouldn't have allowed it.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Courtier

If William is not sure that Kate is the woman he wants to marry, then he should not live with her or William should never live with any girl before their marriage. Charles once complained that he cannot have a trial marriage with any girl because he is the heir to the throne. I think it is the same case for William.The issue of living together will cause a lot of controversy and future trouble if they two separated.
Then once William is sure about the idea of marrying Kate, he should propose. Just grasp the chance and never let the history repeat itself. However I don't think Kate will give up William until whether William pops up the question ends their relationships. So William will probably end up marrying her anyway. I don't think living together before getting married really makes a big difference. If William loves Kate enough and they two have good communication and shared interests and capability to tolerate other's weakness, their future should be fine. I don't want William or Harry to live some girl before their marriage.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Obviously the RF doesn't care much about the concept of it being a sin if they let him do it. I think if that truly was an issue, they wouldn't have allowed it.
The Royal Family might not, but I'm imagining that the Archbishop of Canterbury is hardly jumping for joy.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

As far as we know they don't live together at the moment, they have the use of his rooms (so the press tell us) and as many of you probably know you don't have to have the luxury of an apartment to commit the 'ultimate sin'! This is the 21st century, not the Victorian era, did you all miss the 60's?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know why but somehow sleeping arrangements do not interest me at all. Especially not those who don't happen right in front of me but need gossip to come to my attention...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure there is no objection to Kate "spending the night" with William at Clarence House, but I highly doubt The Queen is ready to allow it at Balmoral or Sandringham House. But as long as she is not living full-time in a royal palace, there isn't a problem.

It's nothing new and we live in a modern world after all.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand what the big deal if P.W. does live with his girlfriend. If I am not mistaken, I read that HIs Uncle Edward lived with his wife sOFIE before they got married and Edwards is the Queens' son ? Correct me if my information is Wrong? We live in the 21 century. He should have the same life most people have, even though he will be KIng one day. Why is it so easy for us to except our family, friends and neighbours down the street to live with someone and not make a big deal about it and yet, its a big deal not to except P.W. to live with Kate.?
For those who have seen the Earth from space, and for the hundreds and perhaps thousands more who will,The experience most certainly changes your percetive.The things that we share in our world are far more valuable than those which divide us.
Donald Williams.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Courtier

September 6, 2006; The Daily Mail

Why Kate should not move in with her prince

Kate Middleton, who looked like Aphrodite's sensible younger sister in a white bikini on holiday in Ibiza, is said to be moving in with Prince William when the couple get back from a trip to Africa.

Even if their joint home turns out to be a bijou apartment in Clarence House, I can't help worrying that 24-year-old Kate is at risk of falling into the Co-habitation Trap...

full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...icle_id=403868
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Commoner

I think that Kate and william living together at this time will make it

difficult to any one even both of them to notice or feel the difference

between being married or not that`s regarding that he won`t be

married untill 30`s
Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Courtier

Well I guess the big problem with this whole situation is that William doesn't really live at Clarence House (he will be at Sandhurst until December(?) and then living wherever his further training is). So of course Kate is not moving in unless she is bunking in with Charles and Camilla.

and I think the person that wrote that article might have a few personal issues to work out.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
Well I guess the big problem with this whole situation is that William doesn't really live at Clarence House (he will be at Sandhurst until December(?) and then living wherever his further training is). So of course Kate is not moving in unless she is bunking in with Charles and Camilla.

and I think the person that wrote that article might have a few personal issues to work out.
How I agree with you!

He will be at Sandhurst until December, then there is the training with his new regiment, live near or on his new base, possibly get posted.

What was even sadder were the 'comments' at the bottom of the article, boy do they all have serious issues!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
What was even sadder were the 'comments' at the bottom of the article, boy do they all have serious issues!
How right you are - what kind of world do these people live in to really fear these problems? I "tried it", too and after 4 years of "wild marriage" as we call it here in Germany, I ended up with the wedding, the ring, a son, a house and finally his inheritance when I became his widow... And now? Are they right? Am I right? Or can we just decided that the outcome depends on the individual and noone should bother giving advice when they don't know the circumstances...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
This is the 21st century, not the Victorian era, did you all miss the 60's?
Many of those who complain the loudest about this probably weren't even alive in the 80's, much less the 60's! Thank GOD for the 60's.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
How right you are - what kind of world do these people live in to really fear these problems? I "tried it", too and after 4 years of "wild marriage" as we call it here in Germany, I ended up with the wedding, the ring, a son, a house and finally his inheritance when I became his widow... And now? Are they right? Am I right? Or can we just decided that the outcome depends on the individual and noone should bother giving advice when they don't know the circumstances...
how right you are....while i don't agree that the future head of the CoE should do it...i did and so far so good. we lived together for 11 years before we married and we're still together. before people start calling me a hypocrite, i'm not now, nor was i ever the head of a church that frowns on this type of lifestyle. if william's future didn't have that responsibility then i'd say go for it and do what you like but since that's not the case i think living together would be a mistake for that reason and that reason alone.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

If I'm not mistaken with history, CoE was born out of another King's desire to get rid of his wife and marry the mistress. He got his wish and then some, including a couple of heads of subsequent wives. So if anything, CoE is the biggest hypocrite of all to stake any kind of moral stand on out of wedlock living arrangement. How twisted was it to give blessing to a second marriage but not okay to officiate. (This is not about Charles-Camilla.) If William and Kate want to live together, CoE should stay out of it. As William will be its future head, they can start getting used to the future reign.

Tags
prince william, relationships