The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I have to agree with HRH Elizabeth on the responsibility and conduct of today's young royals...
I'm glad to see another American that shares in what I believe of the royal family.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:14 AM
Nobility

I still say William should chuck this whole king deal, take his mother's money, Kate, and run. Fast. For chrissakes who needs this garbage. I don't blame him for shunning the cameras and keeping his girl quiet. In the grand scheme of things with the middle east burning and people having to carry their unmentionables onto planes in plastic bags in and out of the UK, I really couldn't care less if Kate and William are doing threesomes in Buckingham palace. Truly is it that big of a deal?

Old 08-20-2006, 03:48 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
I still say William should chuck this whole king deal, take his mother's money, Kate, and run. Fast. For chrissakes who needs this garbage. I don't blame him for shunning the cameras and keeping his girl quiet. In the grand scheme of things with the middle east burning and people having to carry their unmentionables onto planes in plastic bags in and out of the UK, I really couldn't care less if Kate and William are doing threesomes in Buckingham palace. Truly is it that big of a deal?
As an American, to you it is probably not. But you have to remember that this man is the future head of our state, and the British monarch plays much more of a role than many royals, so to us, it is quite important. The thing is, "this garbage" as you refer to it provides him a very expensive roof over his head, luxurious clothing, a job, fame and power. So if he truly believes that the inconvenience of the media negates the advantages, I suppose he'd better remove himself from the succession. However, if he intends to keep the privileges, he has to put up with the media. I understand that the cameras must be annoying, but he must decide to shun them and with them the privileges he enjoys or take both good and bad. One can't have one's cake and eat it too.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

i think if william did chuck the whole thing, the paparazzi would be even more relentless (if that's possible) in there efforts. would a picture of "duke and duchess of windsor" of our generation be worth?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Elizabeth
the British monarch plays much more of a role than many royals, so to us, it is quite important. The thing is, "this garbage" as you refer to it provides him a very expensive roof over his head, luxurious clothing, a job, fame and power. I suppose he'd better remove himself from the succession.... I understand that the cameras must be annoying, but he must decide to shun them and with them the privileges he enjoys or take both good and bad.
The British monarch has no say in the running of the UK and plays a very small part, if any, in the day to day life of most people in the UK.

The privileges that William enjoys are, on the whole paid for by his father. The roof over his head, the luxurious clothing, the full time job (British Army) are available to anyone who works hard or whose parents have and yet these 'ordinary' people would scream blue murder if the media infringed in their lives, constantly taking photo's or writing inaccurate articles!

Therefore in my eyes he owes the British public nothing.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Aristocracy

I personally don't think it's suitable for a prince to live with his girlfriend.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

Therefore in my eyes he owes the British public nothing.
Nothing???
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Nobility

Skydragon, yeah. He certainly doesn't owe the British public the right to speculate about who he is sleeping with.

Hey William, come to the U.S. where I can guarantee you that 99% of us would pass you and your girl on the street without so much as a passing glance. At least that's what happened when your father and stepmother visited the White House earlier this year. Or was it last year? Two minutes of network and local news coverage if that.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Commoner

I wouldn't say he owes the British pubic nothing. But I would rather Prince William live with his girlfriend and/or date other women (not reproducing like Prince Albert) before he gets married. We don't need any more mistakes.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy

I do believe that William ssould date other women because Kate has been his first serious girlfriend and I agree with QueenEna that we don't need anymore mistakes from the Royal Family William should really think about marrying Kate and in my opinion he should date other women before he makes the finaal decision of getting married.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Nothing???
The only way he 'owes' the British public anything is in his duty as a British Army o.c and then as an officer. He has money enough to live on in his own right.

I don't own anyone and quite frankly, nor do you!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenEna
I wouldn't say he owes the British pubic nothing.
I am curious, what does he 'owe' the British public for???
Old 08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I am curious, what does he 'owe' the British public for???
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but isn't the cost of his security detail paid for by taxes? I also believe that taxes pay for the daily expenses of maintaining Clarence House, Ken. Palace and the other royal residences he was raised in. As I don't believe that he has yet received his inheritance from his mother, the money that has fed him and clothed him his entire life, paid for his travels around the world, paid for his schooling and even down to his Christmas presents and the last latte he bought, has come from his father's income from the Duchy of Cornwall.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but his lifestyle does come with a price, to himself and the taxpayers.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

The monies involved in the maintenance of any of the royal palaces are paid by taxpayers but, as they are not for William's sole use, then that cannot be counted. Taxpayers would still have to pay for the upkeep if William did not exist.

The allowance he has, he gets from his father, like 100's and 1000's of sons and daughters, his mother's money does not enter into it. He also has some money from his paternal grandmother. The money Charles gets from the Duchy is his and does not come from the taxpayer. Like any astute businessman Charles claims tax back where he can. He has I believe one protection officer, so you could look on it that he is keeping him in a job and what would his salary be anyway, around the 24k mark.

I had a privileged upbringing with a very generous allowance from my father. I lived in his house, which he maintained, he also fed and clothed me etc, does that mean every minute detail of my life should be available to the tabloid press or British Taxpayers?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The monies involved in the maintenance of any of the royal palaces are paid by taxpayers but, as they are not for William's sole use, then that cannot be counted. Taxpayers would still have to pay for the upkeep if William did not exist.
I never said it was for his sole benefit. But he does, in fact, benefit from it at taxpayers expense. The same could be said about any member of the royal family at any residence. None of it is for the sole expense of one person, but for the royal family in general. I find it hard to believe that taxpayer money would be spent buying groceries and paying for electric at Clarence House if the residents there were private citizens.

Quote:
The allowance he has, he gets from his father, like 100's and 1000's of sons and daughters, his mother's money does not enter into it. He also has some money from his paternal grandmother. The money Charles gets from the Duchy is his and does not come from the taxpayer. Like any astute businessman Charles claims tax back where he can. He has I believe one protection officer, so you could look on it that he is keeping him in a job and what would his salary be anyway, around the 24k mark.
Unlike other astute businessmen, I was not aware of what Charles Montbatten-Windsor, private citizen did to earn the right to a rather large annual income (I believe around the 12m mark?) other than be the first born son of taxpayer supported Queen Elizabeth II. Any improvements he made, or marketing strategies he may have implemented were possible only because he was given the living in the first place. He has what he has because his mother is who she is. She is the public figure she is because the citizens have allowed her to remain as such. Along this line, (and this may be a question someone else could answer as I don't know the answer definitively myself) I don't believe that Charles Montbatten-Windsor, private citizen would keep the living of the Duchy of Cornwall if the monarchy was abolished, unlike other businessmen who could keep the businesses that they either started or inherited. If there was no more monarchy, would he be allowed to retain his ducal title? I can admit that I don't really know for sure.

Quote:
I had a privileged upbringing with a very generous allowance from my father. I lived in his house, which he maintained, he also fed and clothed me etc, does that mean every minute detail of my life should be available to the tabloid press or British Taxpayers?
I had a privileged upbringing myself. My father had his own very successful business until his death and my mother is extremely active in the town I was raised in. I lived in their house and off of their money until I was married. While there were no tabloids, I can also tell you that if I didn't conduct my affairs in an appropriate manner, the news would have reached my parents in about 2 minutes and my comfortable lifestyle would have disappeared in a flash. It also makes a difference that neither you, nor I, as commoners are expected to represent our fellow citizens on the international stage by sheer virtue of our births. William is not, nor can he ever be, a normal young man. He is a future monarch with all the burdens and benefits that go along with it. He is also no longer a child that can claim innocence. Certainly he must have accepted his station in life by now and the large lack of privacy that goes with it. His actions have much larger consquences for himself than yours or mine do for ourselves. What he has now as a prince and in the future as a king is entirely dependant on the taxpayers.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:

I must be terribly confused...are you a HRH and a Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? In the event that you are not, I fail to see, regardless of how privileged an upbringing you had, how your situation is comparable. Of course we have no right to know the details of your life nor would I dream of asking...but then to the best of my knowledge, you are not my future monarch (even if only a ceremonial one).

Also, I'm not asking to start an argument, but simply to understand...from your posts, I am getting the impression that you believe that William should be allowed to live as an ordinary, albeit wealthy, private citizen with no responsibilities and that we should not comment at all. Forgive me if I have misinterpreted your position, but I can't help wondering: if that is what you believe, why are you a poster on a forum about royalty?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I find it hard to believe that taxpayer money would be spent buying groceries and paying for electric at Clarence House if the residents there were private citizens.
Have you not heard of social security benefits then, taxpayers pay for the groceries and electricity of ordinary citizens all the time
My father inherited his estate from his father, he too built on the successes that his gt. gt etc had obtained, how would you have felt to have your entire life commented on.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I must be terribly confused. In the event that you are not, I fail to see, regardless of how privileged an upbringing you had, how your situation is comparable. Of course we have no right to know the details of your life nor would I dream of asking.
You certainly sound confused. My situation is comparable based on a privileged upbringing, with parents who happen to be wealthy from lands gifted them by their parents, gt grandparents etc. As you say you have no right to know the details of my life.

William is at this time a trainee officer in the British Army, when he is older, if William chooses to do charity work, public appearances, or anything else to do with being royal, I will support him 100%, if he chooses not to at this time and wishes to have some things kept private, Good Luck to him!

We have no right to know all the details of anyones life, so why do you presume that William should answer to you?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

How does William living with Kate at his father or grandmother's homes cost the taxpayers? The homes already exist, the rooms might have stayed empty if no one used them. I am assuming that the domestic staff is already employed at these homes, so the maintenance of these rooms is already the responsibility of the household help.

IF William purchased another home via the money that his mother or great grandmother left him...would we hear the same concerns regarding taxpayer money? Then we would have the same concerns/issues that Camilla has with her private home. It would have to be guarded.

Yes, William is a man born to priviliege and has responsibilities...but not every aspect of his life is open to discussion. If that is the case, then ALL royals are no better than animals in a zoo and should be viewed 24/7. And I think that is not the case. They are human to. Different but nonetheless they are entitled to some aspect of privacy.

Now morally, if you are against people living together without the benefit of marriage...well...that certainly is your right and you are entitled to it. But I would prefer William to live in sin with his girlfriend (a trial marriage so to speak) before entering into an actual marriage. For all we know...they might live together for a couple of months and decide it (marriage) is not for them.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Well, I suppose a cost would be racked up security wise which is footed by the tax payer. Her living costs - food etc would be taken care of the civil list which comes from the tax payer too but I doubt it would be such a huge cost that it would make a massive dent in the tax payers pocket. I do think that Kate living there is a bit of a distraction and William is already far too wrapped up in her.

Tags
prince william, relationships