The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Here is a weird question..does Great Britain have common law wives/husbands? If so..what is the time frame. In that states, if you live with your partner for a certain period of time you (say 4 to 7 years)..than you are considered to be married. It varies from state to state.
"Common law marriages" aren't recognized in the United Kingdom.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
One question -- what if Miss Middleton were to become pregnant before anyone gets married? What then?

The Queen has a heart attack.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
How tremendously awkward- asking your 80 year old grandmother for permission to live with your girlfriend.
The royal protocol dictates that a future king needs to seek permission to get married from the reigning king or queen.So asking HM The Queen to stay with his girl friend is nothing to be surprised of.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I highly doubt they are living together at this time. William knows his duty to the Queen.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Gentry

Hmm..I doubt they are living together now. I think it would cause too much publicity.
Although I don't agree with living together before marriage, it is his life. If William wants to live with Kate alone before marriage then that's fine, as long as he can except the criticism and disadvantages thats going to come with it.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect, that they are living in separate houses (he with his father and her with her parents) but there are occasions when they spend the night together.

I wouldn't count that as living together.

If they had an apartment in St James' Palace, or Clarence House or somewhere else which needed the added security for William I suspect that we would know about it.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I highly doubt they are living together at this time. William knows his duty to the Queen.
Why, his father didn't.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I suspect, that they are living in separate houses (he with his father and her with her parents) but there are occasions when they spend the night together.

I wouldn't count that as living together.

If they had an apartment in St James' Palace, or Clarence House or somewhere else which needed the added security for William I suspect that we would know about it.
I agree with you since the added security measures would definitely make front headlines. I'm quite sure that there's a lot of spending the night going on as well as getaway trips.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Aristocracy

I think it's good for a couple to live together b4 they wed or plan a future together to know each other better, you find out alot about your other half by living together. I am catholic and my wife back b4 we married lived with me and my parents in our house and my parents didn't frown upon it, they were happy that we weren't doing something secretly and getting ourselves into trouble and that we were getting to know each other b4 we decided any future plans together, so we knew our likes and dislikes and we knew each other very well and now we are married with a son and another baby on the way.

i also think times are changing and maybe the Queen saw the unhappiness there was when Charles and Diana were married and maybe she doesn't want the same for William, She wants her grandson happy.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Nobility

I remember reading that Charles had given William and Kate permission for Kate to move some of her clothing into William's rooms in Clarence House (or wherever he lives when not at Sandhurst)? Anyone else remember that? As much as we have seen her photographed with William at polo, and assuming he only has weekends off, they probably spend entire weekends together, probably at his William's place, and she goes home Sundays when he goes back to Sandhurst??
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRedDevils
i also think times are changing and maybe the Queen saw the unhappiness there was when Charles and Diana were married and maybe she doesn't want the same for William, She wants her grandson happy.
I agree. Her Majesty set a precedent by allowing Edward & Sophie to live together in Buckingham Palace for some time before they announced their engagement. William & Kate lived together while they were at university and I don't think HM would try to stop them living together now if they really wanted to, even though she might advise against it.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Nobility

Sorry, but I just can't go for Wills or any other royal (or not so royal) person to "shack up" with someone else. How many women will he live with before he settles down with the "right" person?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Nobility

Zero. Because I think William has found the right person. He and Kate are just being very mature and taking their relationship very slowly. But if they continue on for another year or so after he leaves Sandhurst, I think all bets are off and eventually they will marry.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Commoner

I think this is not a good idea for them to move in together. Many studies have actually been done, and a couple is more likely to divorce if they are living together before they get married. I just dont see the point in rushing into things; I mean they will have their whole life to live with each other, in my opinion ones space and freedom for awhile is a good thing to take in, before moving in with someone, thats a huge step. I dont agree with it, but then again it is really none of our business what they do; we all make decisions for ourselves, and we all have different opinions.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox6
Why, his father didn't.
William is not his father nor are the circumstances anything even close to comparison.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
I remember reading that Charles had given William and Kate permission for Kate to move some of her clothing into William's rooms in Clarence House (or wherever he lives when not at Sandhurst)? Anyone else remember that???
I do remember that. It made a little stink in the papers and with people offended by the arrangement. I don't recall what became of it or whether they agreed not to do that. Anyone else know the story on this?:)
Old 08-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Gentry

I wouldn't of thought that Kate lives at Clarance house at the moment because she is often seen walking around london, shoppin etc. but never entering or leaving Clarance house (or any other house for that matter) and if the press had seen that the would certainly have a field day! Also, William lives at Sandhurt for pretty much all of the time so i can't imagine that Kate would live alone in the appartment! However, when William plays polo Kate is often seen supporting him so that would infer that they are quite nearby each other.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I do remember that. It made a little stink in the papers and with people offended by the arrangement. I don't recall what became of it or whether they agreed not to do that. Anyone else know the story on this?:)
It was a story first sourced from the Spanish media, repeated on the internet as fact, and then picked up by some of the London tabloids. It was a two-day wonder back in August 2005, except on these Forums, where it's still being brought up.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

while i have nothing against people living together out of wedlock i think it would be hypocritical for willian to do it. he is one day going to be the head of the church and should be setting an example. if he were to do this sort of thing it would be seen as an endorsement. i know, his father did it and i strongly disagreed with it then. for others it's fine but not if your going to be head of a church and upholding the teachings, part of which are morals, that go along with that position.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
while i have nothing against people living together out of wedlock i think it would be hypocritical for willian to do it. he is one day going to be the head of the church and should be setting an example. if he were to do this sort of thing it would be seen as an endorsement. i know, his father did it and i strongly disagreed with it then. for others it's fine but not if your going to be head of a church and upholding the teachings, part of which are morals, that go along with that position.
This doesn't mean that the couple couldn't live together though. The public may have more respect for him as a king if he is a little more 'normal' because they will be able to relaye to hime better and vice versa, i'm sure.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william, relationships