The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Why am I under the impression that Meghan and Harry met in Toronto last July at the Invictus Games? Also, how is Harry involved? As the one with the idea, or as a facilitator who came on board after the fact? :flowers:

P.S. Thank you, Osipi, for the information. :flowers:

Meghan said they met through friends in London. There were reports that they could've met when Harry was in Toronto promoting the game last year. He made a trip last May after the location was announced to promote this year's game.

My understanding is the I.G. are Harry's brainchild and that he was introduced to her by a friend of hers (the one sitting with her at the opening of this games this year)

LaRae

That's an assumption. Meghan didn't name names, just that they met through friends. The Markus Anderson introduced them thing is really deductive reasoning because of the Soho House connection. Of course, it could be right, but just unconfirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an assumption. Meghan didn't name names, just that they met through friends. The Markus Anderson introduced them thing is really deductive reasoning because of the Soho House connection. Of course, it could be right, but just unconfirmed.

Right..it's just what has been reported. Unless one of them confirm it, it's just what is being assumed.

LaRae

Meghan said they met through friends in London. There were reports that they could've met when Harry was in Toronto promoting the game last year. He made a trip last May after the location was announced to promote this year's game.

There's confusion because of errors in the VF October cover story interview with Meghan. The errors were corrected in the print newsstand version of October VF, but unfortunately they printed another error in stating that the Invictus Games would take place in Orlando this year, when it took place in Orlando last year.

Everything is assumption based on rumor, unconfirmed or faulty printed reports, and leaked gossip, until actually confirmed by the principals involved. But the fact VF erroneously quoted Meghan as stating she & Harry met in July 2016 only added to the confusion. The print version of October VF states that Harry & Meghan met in May 2016 at a charity event, but it doesn't say where they met. It could be Toronto, L.A., Orlando, Miami. There could have been more than one charity event that was held to promote 2017 Invictus. Both Markus Anderson and the designer Misha Nonoo became friends of Meghan's well before she met Prince Harry. And since Nonoo and Anderson are both acquaintances of Harry's, they have both been reported at different times as having introduced Meghan to Harry. Anderson has been the one chiefly cited as the introducer however.

I will explain further in the H&M relationship thread, since when H&M met has not a great deal to do with the actual Invictus Games.

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see him with his own children...he is so good with others.

LaRae

I cannot wait to see him with his own children...he is so good with others.

LaRae

Me too! I think a great deal can’t wait to see Harry with a family of his own.

I continue to be impressed by Harry’s achievement with these games. This guy has done something amazing!

The idea that royalty is pretty much pointless is baseless. Period.

Last edited:
Prince Harry has fun with toddler who takes his popcorn at Invictus Games - ITV News

Video of the popcorn and toddler! So cute!

Me too! I think a great deal can’t wait to see Harry with a family of his own.

I continue to be impressed by Harry’s achievement with these games. This guy has done something amazing!

The idea that royalty is pretty much pointless is baseless. Period.

Yep and I admire how comfortable he is with all sorts of people...that is a gift. I respect that he is using that for the benefit of others.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
This popcorn video is Harry at his best being Harry. If I could have a video like this with Harry every morning when I wake up, I know I'd be starting my day off right.

A lot of Harry's personality that shines through with videos such as this tells me that this is a man that feels at home with anyone no matter who they are or how big or small they area. Took him a bit to realize his popcorn was being swiped as he was very engrossed with talking to the person on the other side of him and when the "theft" was finally noticed, he played into it with the little one with his full attention too and enjoyed every moment of it.

I can imagine that this video will be kept under lock and key by the little one's parents and like the proverbial bathtub photo, dragged out to show potential boyfriends 15-20 years down the line. It will be something very precious to the family and just added to the wonderful moments they've already had just being at the Invictus Games.

If this is what can be expected from Harry as the monarchy goes into the future, its an absolute asset in my opinion.

Yes I agree Osipi...and when I see folks say Harry will be not important in 20 years or no attention given to him I firmly believe they are misjudging that situation. He is going to be relevant in the BRF until his death.

LaRae

Yes I agree Osipi...and when I see folks say Harry will be not important in 20 years or no attention given to him I firmly believe they are misjudging that situation. He is going to be relevant in the BRF until his death.

LaRae

To be fair, that came from Harry’s own mouth. He said it in an interview this year.

He said he only has a small window until he’s eclipsed by George and Charlotte.

To be fair, that came from Harry’s own mouth. He said it in an interview this year.

He said he only has a small window until he’s eclipsed by George and Charlotte.

I think he's being humble....and perhaps is not fully aware of how folks can view him...maybe wishful thinking on his part!

LaRae

Hilarious that Mom is cracking up at the start of the video. Informative that Harry was so into the conversation on his left that he did not notice the imp for a loooong time. Notable that small blond people would seem to be an excellent way to deliver poison onto Harry's food. With all those months in Helmand Province, you would think he's be more wary. ;)

Edit - FYI Harry is reported to be friends with the toddler's Mom and Dad. Emily will have to live all this down the whole time she is in school.

Last edited:
Harry is going to be an awesome father!

...and when I see folks say Harry will be not important in 20 years or no attention given to him I firmly believe they are misjudging that situation. He is going to be relevant in the BRF until his death.

I'd like to believe that, but then I look at Prince Andrew... once in the same boat.

I'd like to believe that, but then I look at Prince Andrew... once in the same boat.

Popularity and relevance to the monarchy are two totally completely different things. Andrew actually (going by Iluvbertie's information on the Court Circular's listings of royal engagements) is only surpassed by Charles and Anne as far as numbers of working engagements.

No one call predict the future but it just stands to reason that with Harry being the second son of a monarch and then brother of a monarch, he will play a pretty relevant role in the monarchy throughout his lifetime as far as the monarchy itself is concerned.

The Invictus Games and Harry's participation in a lot of what needs to happen to put these games on the world stage is a good indication for me that in the future, he will also be very much involved in whatever it is that he does as a senior working royal. He's got a lot of dedication in him towards what he does and that is going to be a big asset.

Last edited:
IMO Harry and Andrew have very different personalities. Part of why Andrew's star power waned was because of his rather entitled attitude, plus of course, Sarah's antics reflected poorly on her ex.. Harry simply has more charisma and seems to not be an arrogant sort. Andrew hob nobs with the wealthy and oligarchs, Harry with orphans in Lesotho and injured service personnel, thus my guess is that Harry will stay popular far longer than his Uncle Andrew did.
I just can't picture Andrew in the popcorn stealing scenario, for example, yet it is such a delightful captured moment allowing us a glimpse of a light hearted Harry in action.
On a slightly related note, Beatrice also spoke at the WE day event which Harry made the surprise appearance at.

Last edited:
You really can't compare Harry to Andrew...very different eras and situations. Harry and William hold a special place in people's hearts due to who they are, who their parents are...Andrew has not helped his cause and neither has his wife. Andrew doesn't have what Harry has in the way of charisma either...I don't think he has ever been that way with the public.

LaRae

Back on topic please, The Invictus Games.

Further discussion comparing Harry to his uncle / other RF members or discussing his 'worth' to history will be removed.

Some photos of HRH Prince Harry met competitors during the Invictus Games in Toronto.

PPE Agency

Thanks for these. The meeting between Harry and the 102 year old vet was heartwarming. It's almost the end, unfortunately, of a week that has been full of humour, bravery, extraordinary physical exertion and great pride. I think it's been marvellous.

I don't get to say this very often but kudos to the Daily Mail for one fantastic article. I sat and read through it twice. It was that good.

This is our Harry at his very best. How easily he could have done his part, showed up for some of the events, waved to the crowds and then do whatever pleased him in Toronto. Harry goes the extra mile. He isn't just the patron of these games but through his actions, he shows that these games, and more importantly, the people that are there participating in the games, are a big part of his life and his heart. People matter.

I loved the message he sends out to the crowd at WE day. He speaks from the heart and every word had meaning and hopefully will be words remembered not only by those that heard him speak, but all of us that read those words.

This is a man making a difference on the world stage. I get the feeling too that he's just begun to make his mark. :D

The connect he has with these veterans and their families is genuine and that's what makes Harry stand out amongst a bunch of rather stuffy royals ! He doesn't just show up at an event n give the customary handshake rather he goes the extra mile with the common man and this will what will be Harry's legacy - his human touch !

I don't get to say this very often but kudos to the Daily Mail for one fantastic article. I sat and read through it twice. It was that good.

This is our Harry at his very best. How easily he could have done his part, showed up for some of the events, waved to the crowds and then do whatever pleased him in Toronto. Harry goes the extra mile. He isn't just the patron of these games but through his actions, he shows that these games, and more importantly, the people that are there participating in the games, are a big part of his life and his heart. People matter.

I loved the message he sends out to the crowd at WE day. He speaks from the heart and every word had meaning and hopefully will be words remembered not only by those that heard him speak, but all of us that read those words.

This is a man making a difference on the world stage. I get the feeling too that he's just begun to make his mark. :D

ICAM. My sister knows literally nothing about Royals and cares even less-but she is completely charmed by Harry.?

Harry has done a terrific job shiny the light on these amazing athletes and their families, I hope they continue it but even if they dont this has touched and helped so many!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom