The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Court Circular 11th September:
Buckingham Palace

The Duke of Sussex, Patron, this morning attended the Fifteenth Annual BGC Charity Day in aid of the Invictus Games Foundation at BGC Partners, One Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London E14.

So good to see Harry, looking cheerful and at home among the Invictus UK team. And a female Captain for the first time! Very impressive!

For all his gifts, when Harry is with the IG he looks like he did when he was in the Army, relaxed, happy and surrounded by his peers. It always makes me wonder.

For all his gifts, when Harry is with the IG he looks like he did when he was in the Army, relaxed, happy and surrounded by his peers. It always makes me wonder.

My husband is the same way. He is more ‘at home’ and comfortable with those he was in the war with or those that were in combat. He means no disrespect to me, family or friends. He just relied on these special people, soldiers, for his life as they relied on him. That is a special bond civilians do not know.

Have you been in Prince Harry’s shoes? Please don’t read into it.
More rumors donor need to be started.

I think Harry takes all of his roles seriously and this one is probably near to his heart after all he was a soldier and can probably relate/be himself around them.

The times that Harry looks happiest (to me) are when he is with his family (he lights up around them), IG & events helping children.

My husband is the same way. He is more ‘at home’ and comfortable with those he was in the war with or those that were in combat. He means no disrespect to me, family or friends. He just relied on these special people, soldiers, for his life as they relied on him. That is a special bond civilians do not know.

Have you been in Prince Harry’s shoes? Please don’t read into it.
More rumors donor need to be started.
Yes that particular brand of esprit de corp is unique to the military I believe. He's relaxed, dressed for comfort and is just Harry Wales and one of the group. He even even wore shoes to match his hair. [emoji6]

Harry is always in his element at the Invitcus events and you can tell it's something he feels really passionate about. Great to see him there.

Harry's passion for all things military has been with him since he was a small child. I've read countless places that as a young lad, Harry gravitated towards the military in his playacting, his interests and it was his dream to actually be in the military. So its been with him almost as long as he's been a prince of the UK.

He realized his passion with his service and once again, excelled at what he did and wsa totally dedicated to not only serving crown and country but also dedicated to his comrades in arms. Seeing the Warrior Games in the US, he realized what a boost something like that could be for sick and wounded service personnel and the germ for the Invictus Games was planted. He also became very involved with Walking with the Wounded and other organizations that would dedicate to helping and supporting those that gave service to their country.

It is said many times that the military makes men out of boys. I also think we could adapt that saying for Harry stating that the military made a prince out of Harry. It was with his work after leaving the military to aid and support his comrades in arms that he realized his full potential as a prince of the UK and how he could use that position to make a difference. He's not stopped since.

Some things just are destined since birth and we definitely see this in Harry. He remains dedicated to the Invictus Games as it is quite personal to him and its something that we, as observers, can be immensely proud of Harry for.

Court Circular 29th October:
Buckingham Palace

The Duke of Sussex, Patron, Invictus Games Foundation, this morning attended the launch of Team UK for the Invictus Games the Hague 2020 at the Honourable Artillery Company, Finsbury Barracks, City Road, London EC1.

Henry has an upcoming engagement on February 28th, with the legend that is Jon Bon Jovi for Invictus.

Bon Jovi performed with Bryan Adams at the closing ceremonies of Invictus in Toronto (the two are actually going on tour this year together). And in November he released a song in support of veterans including military service dogs, for a documentary. Interesting to see what he and Harry may work together on.

Last edited:
...a song for military dogs? Love it, but did it cause them to howl?

Last edited:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...t-angers-helpers-who-built-invictus-7h2grqvnq

Here are some insights from the Sunday Times article. It's my take that the Invictus Games are in transition themselves, related or unrelated to Prince Harry's plans to step away as a working royal.

"On Friday Harry will join Jon Bon Jovi and the Invictus Games Choir at Abbey Road studios for a re-recording of the US rock star’s song Unbroken. It will be one of the prince’s final royal engagements and part of a drive to raise £2m for the Invictus Games Foundation. The charity is overseeing the transition of the games from a one-off competition for wounded warriors to a “global movement” celebrating resilience and determination."

"Dominic Reid, its chief executive, said the games had so far run on unsolicited donations, but fundraising would have to be more professional if the tournament were to be staged every two years."

"Friends of the prince appear reconciled to his scaling back his involvement with his greatest creation. John-James “JJ” Chalmers, an Invictus medallist who suffered severe injuries in Afghanistan, said: “I am grateful he created the games. It changed my life and it changed the life of others. But it is not called Prince Harry’s Invictus Games. It is called Invictus Games and it must stand on its own feet."

“It’s not about a prince, it’s not about Prince Harry. It’s about wounded, injured and sick veterans overcoming adversity to inspire others.”

Last edited:
I think this speaks volumes - it’s from the Times article I posted the Twitter link to. This is just another in a long line of missteps. Harry has the right to move overseas, but everything else is wrong, from not reassuring his backers of future support to not thanking them to simply not communicating with them. It feels like he doesn’t give a fig about his old life because he’s got a great, new life....

One disillusioned supporter, who has given help worth many thousands of pounds, claimed that Harry had taken volunteers for granted and his move overseas had left them feeling abandoned. “I am just bloody angry,” he said.

“There is this expectation that we go out and flog ourselves and find support bringing in cash for Invictus. He could make this a whole lot easier if he did something as well. He could text anyone.”

A volunteer claimed Harry had left the UK without thanking supporters or reassuring them about his future commitment to the charity: “Everybody has been unwavering until now, but everybody feels they have been dropped like a bad habit.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...t-angers-helpers-who-built-invictus-7h2grqvnq

Here are some insights from the Sunday Times article. It's my take that the Invictus Games are in transition themselves, related or unrelated to Prince Harry's plans to step away as a working royal.

"On Friday Harry will join Jon Bon Jovi and the Invictus Games Choir at Abbey Road studios for a re-recording of the US rock star’s song Unbroken. It will be one of the prince’s final royal engagements and part of a drive to raise £2m for the Invictus Games Foundation. The charity is overseeing the transition of the games from a one-off competition for wounded warriors to a “global movement” celebrating resilience and determination."

"Dominic Reid, its chief executive, said the games had so far run on unsolicited donations, but fundraising would have to be more professional if the tournament were to be staged every two years."

"Friends of the prince appear reconciled to his scaling back his involvement with his greatest creation. John-James “JJ” Chalmers, an Invictus medallist who suffered severe injuries in Afghanistan, said: “I am grateful he created the games. It changed my life and it changed the life of others. But it is not called Prince Harry’s Invictus Games. It is called Invictus Games and it must stand on its own feet."

“It’s not about a prince, it’s not about Prince Harry. It’s about wounded, injured and sick veterans overcoming adversity to inspire others.”

Yes, the charities will go on, even without Harry.

Yes, the charities will go on, even without Harry.

I wish this incredibly worthy cause continued success, with or without the any future input by their founder.

It was inevitable the many supporters and others involved with Invictus were not going to be happy with Harry, to say the least. I think from the beginning, Harry and Meghan have handled what has now become stepping down and now out as working royals disastrously. Having been a supporter of the couple it boggles my mind, seriously, what were they thinking.

It does appear according to Dominic Reid, chief executive of the foundation that changes were necessary anyway going forward to continue to fund the Games, Harry or no Harry.

It will be interesting to see Harry and Meghan at the Invictus Games in May at The Hague.

It was inevitable the many supporters and others involved with Invictus were not going to be happy with Harry, to say the least. I think from the beginning, Harry and Meghan have handled what has now become stepping down and now out as working royals disastrously. Having been a supporter of the couple it boggles my mind, seriously, what were they thinking.

It does appear according to Dominic Reid, chief executive of the foundation that changes were necessary anyway going forward to continue to fund the Games, Harry or no Harry.

It will be interesting to see Harry and Meghan at the Invictus Games in May at The Hague.

I think if he had talked to them, maybe come up with a plan to help the organization run without him, it would have been ok. It feels like these people were blindsided, too, and that’s the issue.

I think if he had talked to them, maybe come up with a plan to help the organization run without him, it would have been ok. It feels like these people were blindsided, too, and that’s the issue.

They felt/feel abandoned really, don't they.

Perhaps I'm mis-remembering but I thought even before the Australian games that it was reported that Harry was reducing his involvement with the Invictus Games. Furthermore, and I am not trying to discount Harry's involvement, he is not currently involved in the day-to-day running of the Invictus Games, nor do I think he was involved in the day-to-day in the past.

The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry provided the initial funding to the tune of £1 million. Invictus should be established enough that it does not need Harry's money and promotion, if Harry chooses to move on or scale back which the current chief executive seems to be saying.

As far as the two people who made negative comments, they sound like disgruntled royal goupies. The Invictus Games and what they stand for should be sufficient and IMO Harry should not have to reassure volunteers about his future plans.

Last edited:
I see more people involved with IG speaking positively than the person the Daily Mail is quoting anonymously. I mean that vs the people who willing put their name to their statements.

That weighs more to me. Just like the anonymous military person they found vs the ones who actually served with him and flat out defended him loudly with their names credited. Speaks volumes actually.

Last edited:
From all the years I've watched Harry and followed his involvement in things, it got to the point when one thinks "Harry" and right after it comes "Invictus Games". This brainchild of his started with a airline trip home being delayed a bit so that they could carry the body of a Danish soldier home also. Harry then was in the US and saw the Wounded Warrior Games (still going strong) and thought of doing the same on a different scale. The Invictus Games were born as a one off thing. The success was overwhelming. Even the name of the games stresses that those that participate in competition are the focus. They all proudly bear the "I AM" in bold letters.

It stands to reason that it was unexpected that Harry's IG would create such a sensation and following and participation with success stories through the roof. At the time of its start up, Harry was still a part time working royal and had more time and energy to devote to this endeavor. Time passed and Harry went from part time to full time working royal and so his involvement in things increase. He also married and had a child. The year the games were in Toronto was when, we the public, first got a glimpse of Harry and Meghan as a couple and also Mama Doria. I remember it well. We also saw Meghan for the first time as an expectant mother in Australia when a royal tour was scheduled to fit around the Sydney Invictus Games.

Harry was never deeply involved in the day to day running of the IG. He did stay on top of things as he still does with his Sentebale work. To think Harry would just "drop" IG, is like thinking of Harry not breathing. Its close to his heart. Its something unique to Harry, himself. It touches him in his heart to see his comrades in arms that have been hurt, maimed or affected by their service to their country beam with pride at accomplishments and realize their own self worth once again after a terrible ordeal. The IG are his baby as much as Archie is.

It does stand to reason that as things grow and change over time, there are adjustments that have to be made. Even with all the confusion, shock and awe and difference of opinion on what is going on with the Sussexes right now in their transition, never in a million years would I ever think to put down in type and hit "enter" that Harry would desert or abandon his Invictus Games. I believe it would be to Harry like losing an arm or a leg or his eyesight as its that much a part of who he is, what he believes in and strives to support and encourage.

To me, through all the past couple months and the talk and the discussion of going "commercial", the sponsorship and people and organizations that have been already drawn to support the IG is a prime example of how it is needed sometimes to foster a successful venture that does really make a huge difference in people's lives. I actually hope that it continues to grow and prosper and from what I do see with Harry joining forces with Jon Bon Jovi, this is the way to get it done.

One only has to look up and watch again the speeches that Harry has made at any of the Invictus Games to know how deeply he feels about this. Harry wears his emotions on his sleeve a lot of times and when talking about IG and the people competing, its plain to see the love, hope, encouragement and staunch support Harry holds for the Invictus Games.

ETA: Because I cannot make out lyrics listening to a tune, I looked up the lyrics. I'm posting the lyrics of "Unbroken" so all can know the lyrics to this beautiful tune. ?

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=unbroken+lyrics&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

With more research, I've found that the accompanying movie "To Be Of Service" is available for viewing with Amazon Prime and also Netflix. Guess what I'll be watching tonight. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom