The Duke of Sussex and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's where I disagree, especially in the case of Kate, I think she does it on purpose, maybe because she thinks people want to see it. Maybe that's why Meghan (IMO) was doing it, too, so people could see it.

Which you have clearly pointed out. And which the rest of us have said is simply pointed out is a by-product of how she is standing. Unless you have an inside source to her mindset, or a photo where she is intentionally (without a doubt) showing off her ring to someone.

This is pointless run around. And this page is about the IG not about a ring. If you have a picture to back your belief she is intentionally flashing it, I will look forward to the post where it belongs, on the fashion thread.

Back to the IG.

For the love of.....

Please note that several snarky posts have been deleted.

The discussion on Meghan and whether or not she is showing off her ring is well past its sell date.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Let's stay on topic.

Last edited:
They both look very happy. As they'll be out here in October for the IG. it's a good opportunity for Meghan to meet our PM Malcolm Turnbull and his wife Lucy. Saw the Australian High Commissioner Alexander Downer greeting them also.

Makes sense...think of all the people screaming her name at some of these events...Meg (and his voice) would get her attention.

Very sweet

LaRae

Awww now we know her nickname!!

Have to confess it took me several viewings :rolleyes: before I caught a possible 'Meg'. I kept hearing Meghan, but it makes sense. Her family has referenced her as Meg. Wonder if after the wedding the tabloids will start calling her Princess Meg?

Last edited:
The Invictus Games 2020 will be held in The Netherlands in Rotterdam and The Hague.The exact dates will be disclosed later.

Ahead of the Games Prince Harry will visit The Netherlands end of july this year.

This is excellent news. Harry said in Toronto that he hoped the Invictus Games would continue beyond Sydney and now it is! Before the wedding various Royal correspondents hinted that Harry and Meghan would be visiting the Netherlands in coming months.

So, no IG for 2019? It's not without precedent as the case with Orlando after London. Or did I miss something?

Although it hasn't been announced, I don't believe Meghan will go to this if it's at the end of July. I imagine they'd want to save the goodwill and publicity of the first trip abroad for something bigger and longer.

Maybe it will become a bi yearly thing? I can see that happening. It is also a great way to expand it.

Given that they wanted to quit, it makes sense to make it a biennial event instead of a yearly event.

As the Invictus Games is something that, to me, personifies Harry's commitment to the men and women that serve in the armed forces, it makes me happy to see these games garner more and more recognition and strive onward to keep it going on a global basis.

Each occurrence of the Invictus Games seem to be bigger and more highlighted globally than the one before it and I hope to see that continue.

I certainly don't think Harry ever wanted it to end. It's just been a question of sponsorships, who is going to pay for the Games, given that it was only underwritten by the Ministry of Defence for the one year at the beginning. Sadly, the IG arent the sort of thing that bring in huge profits and crowds, so it's always had a shadow over it as far as ongoing costings are concerned.

I do think that bi-annual Games are probably better. This allows interest to grow, gives athletes time to recover between each tournament, and will hopefully give time to get those all important sponsorships on board.

Last edited:
Harry also discussed whether there would be enough participants who would be willing to train at a high level given the thought at the time being that the wars were winding down (a good thing). Many of the athletes, though, see IG as a good pre-cursor for the para-olympics, and IG has conducted some interesting research on how this model can help heal mental and physical trauma.

And unfortunately, troops are still getting injured or killed in the various conflicts going on.

So this was in large parts a big experiment that so far keeps paying off not only for the organizers but most importantly for the athletes themselves.

I think trying to do the Games every year doesn't make much sense. They are a massive undertaking and require a lot of planning for the organizers and the athletes.

Exactly, there was talk of having a grand finale in London in 2020 to bring the Invictus Games to an end. See for example this article from September 2017 but it looks like that idea has been shut down.

I think having it every two years is better. This way the games can actually be grander since they have more prep time. That extra year can make a world of difference. And we have seen what they have done yearly, so just imagine.

Exactly, there was talk of having a grand finale in London in 2020 to bring the Invictus Games to an end. See for example this article from September 2017 but it looks like that idea has been shut down.

Ok, I've heard this speculation, but that's hardly wanting to quit. But either way, Harry has always maintain that IG will be around as long as it is needed, but at some point, it will be back in the box when it's no longer needed. Having less injured soldiers is always a good thing.

Prince Harry and The Invictus Games: 2014 and 2016-2018

"I am delighted to announce that The Hague is taking up the challenge of hosting the 5th #InvictusGames. The city will soon become the motivation for hundreds of servicemen and women using the Games to inspire their recovery from physical and mental injuries."– The Duke of Sussex

"The Netherlands has supported the #InvictusGames from the very beginning, and I know that everyone there will fully get behind and support the soldiers and veterans who have served their countries so bravely." – The Duke of Sussex

"We have already seen in London, Orlando, and Toronto just how exciting hosting the #InvictusGames can be, and I know this will be an incredible experience for everyone in The Hague @InvictusGamesNL as they embrace the Invictus spirit in 2020." – The Duke of Sussex

Officially announced by KP this morning.

The Mayor of The Hague, Mrs Pauline Krikke: "[...] Ik weet zeker dat deze veteranen zich in de internationale Stad van Vrede en Recht thuis zullen voelen. Wij als Den Haag zullen hen in ieder geval met open armen ontvangen. Ik dank de Hertog van Sussex en zijn organisatie voor het vertrouwen in Den Haag."

("[...] I am sure that these veterans will feel at home in the international City of Peace and Justice. We, as The Hague, will receive them with open arms. I would like to thank The Duke of Sussex and his organization for the trust in The Hague".

So, are the games going to be every 18 months now? This is getting confusing. :lol:

All that aside, just want to point out what an inspiration the IG and its competitors are. I got goosebumps just watching that video.

Last edited:
Ok, I've heard this speculation, but that's hardly wanting to quit. But either way, Harry has always maintain that IG will be around as long as it is needed, but at some point, it will be back in the box when it's no longer needed. Having less injured soldiers is always a good thing.
I agree, however, the IG was created to aid with mental as well as physical disabilities and the greater majority of them are young. They have the rest of their lives to live and that need is not going to go away. PTSD does not just go away and neither does the daily grind that can cause injured servicemen and women to become isolated and disengaged.

I have to admire the strength of will it took to get the IG off the ground and to see that Harry's vision for it is coming true. It will not end just yet and I fervently pray that the Governments of those who have sent their youth to fight will continue to support their Veterans and enable this to continue until it is no longer needed.

Just think how far we have come in recognising the effects of PTSD? In WWI they shot troops for cowardice, in WWII they diagnosed them with shell shock and sent them back to the line, in Vietnam we sent them home, gave them pills and ignored them and, in all the years and conflicts since they were just expected to 'man up' and deal with it.

But with the IG the Vets got to look outward, strive and help each other while their countries both recognised and supported them with more than good wishes. Yes, some theatres of war are winding down . . . . but unfortunately, they always seem to find a new one. :bang:

The Opening Ceremony is being held on the Opera House forecourt - October 20th.

It will be broadcast live across Austalia by the ABC, and live-streamed for the rest of the world.

You may have seen Oprah broadcast from the forecourt - and Mary and Frederik attend a concert there.

The forecourt is often used, but places are being limited to the participants, their families and supporters. (Any remaining space may go to the general public.)

Last edited:
Thank you Sun Lion. That will be something to look forward to, and I will be watching. The IG and a tour afterwards. Wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom