The Duchess of Sussex's Charities and Patronages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
9hsaiq.png

Arms of HRH The Duchess of Sussex

The Duchess of Sussex's
Charities and Patronages

This thread covers the following:
Patron of the Association of Commonwealth Universities
Announced January 10, 2019
Official Website

Patron of Mayhew
Official Website

Royal Patron of The National Theatre
Official Website

Royal Patron of Smart Works
Official Website

Last edited:
Congrats to her. It is a great fit. I guess we will learn more tomorrow when they official announce it.

I seems to be an oopsie from IT. :lol:

But that's not a surprise really.

I seems to be an oopsie from IT. :lol:

But that's not a surprise really.

Meghan's appointment makes sense given her background, but it certainly wasn't a sure-thing. Several forum members expressed doubt when we first heard rumors about it last year. For example:
I suspect this will be the way she starts off [as patron to a smaller organzation, not the National Theatre]. Not to say in a few years she won't be connected to a major theater but not initially, IMO. Meghan meeting with head of a organization is a great way to get information and maybe talk of a future collaboration.

I’m pretty sure the only person to become the next patron of the National Theatre is Prince/King Charles. I don’t thing anything less than the monarch or consort will be considered for such a prominent institution.
I imagine Meghan and other royals will be involved with specific projects, but not become official patrons.

It just goes to show that royal watchers should never presume that they know anything as a certainty.

Last edited:
Now that the National Theatre is settled. I wonder which other organizations will she take on? Roya Nikkhah specifically mentioned Royal Theatre, ACU, and Campaign for Female Education last month. Those are the meetings that we know about. There are reports that she had about 100 meetings with organizations prior to marriage (Campaign being one of them that we found out later). So it'll be interesting.

I wonder if additional patronages will be announced tomorrow. I think they had announced about 5 for Kate the first time.

Last edited:
Well the cat's out of the bag about Meghan's patronage of the National Theater, but I don't think the leak was an accident. The artistic director wanted NT not to seem elitist so they dropped Royal from the title. It wants to be inclusive. The leak is not an IT oops, it was meant to create buzz.

I wonder if additional patronages will be announced tomorrow. I think they had announced about 5 for Kate the first time.

I think more will be announced tomorrow. Just this patronage was accidentally made ahead of time.

Delighted for her, it must be a pleasure for her.

Delighted for her, it must be close to her heart !

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen it said there may be more announced tomorrow..but I'm not sure on that.

LaRae

I've seen it said there may be more announced tomorrow..but I'm not sure on that.

LaRae

I don’t think they will just announce one patronage tomorrow. There should be more announcements coming.

The NT announcement was dated for tomorrow but I guess someone got jumpy.

It seemed the director especially lobbied hard for this. After his interview in the TG in December, I figured this was a strong contender. Thrilled to see her step into this role.

I also wonder if any of the organizations they are visiting next Monday would be one of the patronages?

Great to have it confirmed :flowers:

I look forward to hearing her other patronages.

Four patronages:
-the National Theatre
-the Association of Commonwealth Universities
-Mayhew, and
-Smart Works.

The first two are being passed down from the Queen. She’s visiting Smart Works today.

Very pleased that she's taking on Smart Works. It's a wonderful charity & I'm sure they'll benefit enormously from her patronage.

Very well-balanced: 4 different themes associated with her known interests. Two of them taken over from the queen and two new ones. Well done!

Very fitting patronages, and a great announcement, with a surprise visit.

This is a very nice combination indeed to begin with. (Of course more will come as the years progress.) The Association of Commonwealth Universities is a very appropriate patronage as it fits in with Harry's Commonwealth Youth Ambassadorship and will be utilised in future tours of the Commonwealth, I'm sure. I think it's great!

Last edited:
FABULOUS! A wonderful mix of established patronages and unknown grassroots ones! And what a great show of confidence that the Queen passes on 2 of her patronages to Meghan and she hasn't been a royal for a year yet!

What I love about this announcement of her patronages is that it also highlights her own charity work pre-royal life. For example, I didn't know that she volunteered at a theatre for underprivileged children in LA! Amazing that this is exactly what the National Theatre is trying to do currently....make the theatre more accessible for the less fortunate.

She is such a pro ! What a wonderful PR release which not only gives us an insight into what she has done since becoming a royal/ royal to be (just like the Hubb she has made frequent visits to SmartWorks and no one knew!) but also into her past work as a student etc. Michelle Obama truly said it best when she talked about how every little thing you do/practice in your youth prepares you for where you want to be.

So so proud of what an amazing woman the DoS is and what she will work on and achieve in her role - even if I wished she had a better stylist & tailor haha

It seems HM has great faith in her as both an effective speaker and worker. The two Patronages handed down from her are surprisingly high profile which really speaks to HM's holding Meghan in high regard firmly squelching any lingering questions about Meghan's character and sweeping any remnants of the vile gossip on the last few months out the door and firmly closing it.

The two Patronages chosen by Meghan reflect her stated vision and where she really feels she can make a difference.

A brilliant start.

Last edited:
FABULOUS! A wonderful mix of established patronages and unknown grassroots ones! And what a great show of confidence that the Queen passes on 2 of her patronages to Meghan and she hasn't been a royal for a year yet!

What I love about this announcement of her patronages is that it also highlights her own charity work pre-royal life. For example, I didn't know that she volunteered at a theatre for underprivileged children in LA! Amazing that this is exactly what the National Theatre is trying to do currently....make the theatre more accessible for the less fortunate.

Yes an old picture of her speaking at a school was found. I know she used to do video chat calls to students as well. A few of them are on the internet.

Here is picture - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwdtibiVAAAk5oT.jpg:large

Well it’s only been in the last 2 and a half years HM has started handing down patronages. Meghan has joined the family as the DoE has retired and the Queen is slowing down.

There’s going to many patronage changes over the course of the next year.

One thing I will say is for all the virtue signaling Meghan does as a ‘feminist’ , I’m kind of surprised they didn’t double down more on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom