The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be what you would do but no one knows if that is what Meghan wants. She may love her dad unconditionally and won't be open to locking him out of her life.

Harry handled the situation in a good way, he was polite but revealed nothing to him; that is how Tom should be handled. They all now know he can't be trusted and have to be careful when around him. I think Harry will continue to have a relationship with him but I don't see Charles, William, or the Queen being receptive.

Then Meghan will deal with him betraying her constantly. He has done it three times now. How much can someone take? Frankly, I think it will just go back to how it likely has been. They exchange pleasantries and keep it moving. No doubt Harry is completely done with him and their future kids will not be around him. The BRF will do what is best for them and will overrule Meghan if they have to. Not that I think it will ever go that far because Meghan has shown to cut out the toxic in her life.

I have no doubt in my mind that Meghan sincerely loves her father but loving someone doesn't mean condoning their actions and behaviors. Harry and Meghan know well what is acceptable and what is not and will act accordingly.

With the realization that Meghan's dad is prone to not making the wisest of decisions, the best solution is not to give him anything at all to work with in the first place. He will always be a grandfather to any children they may have but private details about anything relating to Harry and Meghan and their private life will not be shared with Tom Sr.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. ?

Then Meghan will deal with him betraying her constantly. He has done it three times now. How much can someone take? Frankly, I think it will just go back to how it likely has been. They exchange pleasantries and keep it moving. No doubt Harry is completely done with him and their future kids will not be around him. The BRF will do what is best for them and will overrule Meghan if they have to. Not that I think it will ever go that far because Meghan has shown to cut out the toxic in her life.

I think that's perhaps what you'd do rather than what Harry or BRF will do. Ultimately, he's unlikely to physically or emotionally harm any children Harry or Meghan would have. The BRF isn't going to bar him as long as Meghan wishes for him to be around in whatever limited capacity (it's not like they live in the same country). The Queen still received Fergie after we've all seen photos of her with stacks of money in front of her engaged in a conversation about selling access to Andrew and talking about why the Queen likes her. Clearly, her tolerance level is a lot higher than royal watchers.

I remember the story about her mom's younger half-brother and his mother reportedly being there. The Johnsons (Doria's older half siblings from her mother's side) denied they were invited, but didn't seem to be too bitter about it. From what's been reported is that they aren't close.

And yes, I'm well aware there is more people in her extended family than just her mother, father, brother, and sister. However, all of her grandparents have passed away, and Meghan isn't close to most of her uncles and aunts. So I don't see why she'd have to invite them if she's not close to them. Especially those that feels entitled.

It's interesting to me that from everything we've heard, I've not heard one incident from any of them about a specific fall out with Meghan personally. Even when Samantha described their last phone call, which she took offense to Meghan not doing what she wanted Meghan to do, it seems like Meghan handled them in a cordial manner without giving up to what she believes is the right thing to do. Quite high EQ on that front. It does seem like Meghan tried to stay out of their drama and not get dragged in. So, good for her.

If I were invited and attending, I might deny it, myself. Think of all the unwanted attention invited by attending a high-profile wedding like M&H.

anything relating to Harry and Meghan and their private life will not be shared with Tom Sr.

That may well be the case, but Markle Sr seems SO easy to manipulate, that 'journalists', relatives or [indeed] 'Tom, Dick and Harry' are likely to be able to 'auto-suggest' or put words into his mouth, thus creating an unceasing flow of grievances or stories, to make him/them/Samantha the $ and notoriety they crave ?

I say payout, NDA.

The BRF, nor Henry, nor some secret fund is going to pay The Duchess of Sussexs' father to be quiet. A non disclosure agreement, is specifically designed for confidential information, whilst Thomas revealing that he and Henry have talked about President Trump isn't right, it's not something I would consider confidential. The fact that Markle Snr lives in the US primarily, and the Sussex's live in the UK the legality that would have to go into that document is baffling. A retirement village for a perfectly able man, is also a ridiculous suggestion.

Thomas Markle shouldn't have agreed to the GMB interview without proper guidance. For me watching it, it's quite clear that Thomas wants to get his point across on how he is hurting from his decision, and he wants to do it publicly by himself, no samantha strings attached, because that's what got him into this mess.

However what is also clear is that neither Meghan, nor Henry nor Kensington Palace have been forthcoming with help or guidance on anything so Thomas has gone out into the big wild Piers Morgan world by himself. Whilst I do not know what has happened behind closed doors, if Meghan wants her father as part of her life, he needs to have support. If she doesn't then cut strings and let loose. We're somewhere in between right now and nobodies guiding anyone. If as people have suggested Thomas has been told to "sit down and shut up" and has been ignored then I feel that was the wrong course of action for this man. He needs to be told to sit down, listen and learn.

Piers Morgan is known for his relationship with Donald Trump, it is the sole reason he asked that question so he could use the answer to further his agenda, and have the accolade of saying Prince Henry likes Trump etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That may well be the case, but Markle Sr seems SO easy to manipulate, that 'journalists', relatives or [indeed] 'Tom, Dick and Harry' are likely to be able to 'auto-suggest' or put words into his mouth, thus creating an unceasing flow of grievances or stories, to make him/them/Samantha the $ and notoriety they crave ?

In all honesty, I do believe that this is the crux of the matter. It really is kind of sad isn't it. :sad:

The BRF, nor Henry, nor some secret fund is going to pay The Duchess of Sussexs' father to be quiet. A non disclosure agreement, is specifically designed for confidential information, whilst Thomas revealing that he and Henry have talked about President Trump isn't right, it's not something I would consider confidential. The fact that Markle Snr lives in the US primarily, and the Sussex's live in the UK the legality that would have to go into that document is baffling. A retirement village for a perfectly able man, is also a ridiculous suggestion.

Thomas Markle shouldn't have agreed to the GMB interview without proper guidance. For me watching it, it's quite clear that Thomas wants to get his point across on how he is hurting from his decision, and he wants to do it publicly by himself, no samantha strings attached, because that's what got him into this mess.

However what is also clear is that neither Meghan, nor Henry nor Kensington Palace have been forthcoming with help or guidance on anything so Thomas has gone out into the big wild Piers Morgan world by himself. Whilst I do not know what has happened behind closed doors, if Meghan wants her father as part of her life, he needs to have support. If she doesn't then cut strings and let loose. We're somewhere in between right now and nobodies guiding anyone. If as people have suggested Thomas has been told to "sit down and shut up" and has been ignored then I feel that was the wrong course of action for this man. He needs to be told to sit down, listen and learn.

Piers Morgan is known for his relationship with Donald Trump, it is the sole reason he asked that question so he could use the answer to further his agenda, and have the accolade of saying Prince Henry likes Trump etc.

He said in the interview that he refused help from KP and that Harry and Meghan have told him not to speak to the press. If that is not guidance to a grown adult then i don't know what is.

It is clear that Meghan is not close to her father but respects and loves him and wanted him involved in the wedding but based on his actions, I can see why they are not close.

If you watched the interview, not once did he talk about how he wanted to be there for his daughter but rather just wanted to be at a royal wedding.

A family of grifters these Markles and Snr is easily manipulated IMO.

I do feel like KP and Meghan and Harry are unfairly criticized in this matter. Based on Thomas Markle's own words, it does seem that he was offered advice, but he chose to go with a different way. In fact, he knew what their advice was on speaking to the media to a point where he went out of his way to keep this from them if we were to believe what Piers said about the heads up KP got. And I have no reason to doubt him on this. He might twist it in his interpretation, but I don't see what he gets out of lying about this.

I mean, most daughters wouldn't even be speaking to their father after the paparazzi photos came out or the drama that he subsequently brought on the week of their wedding. Yet Meghan and Harry has consistently said they want him to come and they took care of everything for him subsequent to that. They discussed going to see him, and it was Tom Markle to told them not to. Let's be a bit fair here. After all of this, no one can say he wasn't offered help. He was. He choose to handle it differently. That's his prerogative. And now they ALL have to live with his bad decisions. I'm HOPING after all of this that he realizes you can't set the record straight with the press. Best to just move on with your life and they will move on the next story.

Meghan, Harry, and KP can only offer support, not force him to listen.

Having finally watched the entire thing. The only time Tom Markle seemed very emotional, and almost break down is when he was talking about his image. Proves my point that he doesn't realize this is so much more than him.

I have no doubt in my mind that Meghan sincerely loves her father but loving someone doesn't mean condoning their actions and behaviors. Harry and Meghan know well what is acceptable and what is not and will act accordingly.

With the realization that Meghan's dad is prone to not making the wisest of decisions, the best solution is not to give him anything at all to work with in the first place. He will always be a grandfather to any children they may have but private details about anything relating to Harry and Meghan and their private life will not be shared with Tom Sr.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. ?

We really don’t know how Meghan will handle relations with her father.

I just feel bad that her father’s side of the family have treated her so bad and caused some unwanted press attention for her. That woman don’t deserve this kind of treatment.

I personally think, that Thomas Markle Snr isn't at all easily manipulated. He actually comes across quite strong willed. He may go along with Samantha's schemes, but it's because he wants to. And if he doesn't want to do something, he will scheme and manipulate to get out of it.

According to himself, Samantha, KP, ge has been offered help and support from Harry and Meghan, through all possible resources they have. He has declined. He rather go to TMZ, use his substitute daughter, Samantha or Piers Morgan to get his own message out the way he wants to. He will, and has already, walk all over Meghan to get his way, and has little regard for the damage and hurt this causes Meghan.

It is clear that Meghan is not close to her father but respects and loves him and wanted him involved in the wedding but based on his actions, I can see why they are not close.

If you watched the interview, not once did he talk about how he wanted to be there for his daughter but rather just wanted to be at a royal wedding.

A family of grifters these Markles and Snr is easily manipulated IMO.

I feel like the father and daughter each live in their world but are connected only by their past. Which isn't surprising given that Tom is retired person living half way around the world from his daughter and have lived in a different country from his daughter for years with the polar opposite lifestyles.

I didn't get that he never talked about how he wanted to be there for his daughter, but rather just wanted to be at a royal wedding. I took his comment as that he's now just a footnote in a event, rather than a dad walking his daughter down the aisle at her wedding. As for his comments on the Queen, I feel like that's a normal initial reaction for anyone who has met her. She's this idea, rather than a human in the flesh after you've met her. But that's the issue when you talk to the media, isn't it? Things can be interpreted differently.

I personally think, that Thomas Markle Snr isn't at all easily manipulated. He actually comes across quite strong willed. He may go along with Samantha's schemes, but it's because he wants to. And if he doesn't want to do something, he will scheme and manipulate to get out of it.

I think the poster meant he's not too...sophisticated in dealing with complex situations. To me, he seems to be a straight forward, simple, and stubborn man. Being stubborn doesn't mean he can't be easily manipulated. It's entirely an emotional situation. If one knows what makes him tick, he can be quite easily manipulated if he's not too sharp.

Jeez, they obviously didn’t have too much to say to each other if they got round to talking about Brexit. Most Brits are sick of the whole sorry mess:sad:.

I’d like to think he’s naive and he doesn’t seem to realise he is making life more uncomfortable for his daughter than its needs to be. He must realise that telling the private thoughts of his son in law was not just going to be ignored.

Unless he is just making it up to prolong his time in the limelight which is too awful to contemplate. I guess until there is a grandchild on the way then hopefully he’ll lay off the interviews.

Although I guess if Meghan gets pregnant, there will Samantha moaning that they haven’t seen the baby/not invited to the christening/ not made god parent.

On a positive note to all this kerfluffle recently, this ominous cloud does have its silver lining. At least Meghan doesn't have to go through this alone and deal with it alone. She's got the strongest support system possible in Harry. ?

I think the poster meant he's not too...sophisticated in dealing with complex situations. To me, he seems to be a straight forward, simple, and stubborn man. Being stubborn doesn't mean he can't be easily manipulated. It's entirely an emotional situation. If one knows what makes him tick, he can be quite easily manipulated if he's not too sharp.

IMHO it's not a complex situation at all. Meghan asked him not to talk to the press. Respect that. He talked to the press, talked about private conversations backing up to almost two years ago, and took money for it. I don't think he's stupid, he knew it was wrong, he just didn't care. Not once have I seen him worry about how this is affecting Meghan, just himself.

IMHO it's not a complex situation at all. Meghan asked him not to talk to the press. Respect that. He talked to the press, talked about private conversations backing up to almost two years ago, and took money for it. I don't think he's stupid, he knew it was wrong, he just didn't care. Not once have I seen him worry about how this is affecting Meghan, just himself.

Unfortunately dealing with harassment and seeing yourself in papers and internet in a bad light is not such a simple situation. I'm not saying what he did is right. In fact, I've saying that he doesn't seem to comprehend the bigger picture here and not realize his own image is not even a blip when considering the enormity of what Meghan just took on. But that in itself tells me that he doesn't seem to be able to comprehend the complexity of everything and is too thin skinned.

Last edited:
Jeez, they obviously didn’t have too much to say to each other if they got round to talking about Brexit. Most Brits are sick of the whole sorry mess:sad:.

Lol

That moment in the interview made so many things make sense to me regarding Meghan’s arms-length relationship with him. Piers asked him if all of his conversations with Harry had been by phone and Markle’s answer was to say yes, but then immediately say (I’m paraphrasing) “I could tell he’s a good guy, very personable, except our politics are different regarding Trump and Brexit.” Just our of the blue, apropos of nothing.

Piers’ eyes light up, he asks how the topic of politics arose and the answer is that in his first-ever conversation “meeting” Harry, Meghan says “it’s time for you to get to know the man I’m very serious about,” hands the phone to Harry, Harry introduces himself and asks “how are you,” as one does, and Markle’s response was not “fine, but let’s talk about you and your relationship with my daughter,” but rather, “how am I? Upset about this political situation!”

He was, by his own description, so fixated on the one thing (politics) that he couldn’t focus on the reason for the phone call (getting to know Harry). Just like he can’t now see the forest (his long-term relationship with his daughter and her husband, the damage he’s doing to his own reputation, the difficulties he’s creating for all of them) for the trees (his immediate feeling of not being understood by the world).

It’s exhausting to maintain a connection with someone who has that problem with priority-setting and focus, even when there’s little on the line. Sometimes the best way to maintain a friendly, loving relationship is to limit contact (regular 30 minute phone calls, yes! Regular in-person visits, dicey!), and I can’t now help but wonder if that’s what Meghan has done with her dad.

How is this theory that KP and Meghan haven't tried to help her dad still an issue. In his own words he speaks about how they tried to help him and he turned it away. Didnt I also hear about Harry wanting to help him get to London?

He only cared about his moment in so called history? I love Harry but he is 6th in line. His comment seems odd for someone who had several medical emergencies....

Also those awful pictures where supposed to be a way to mend his image which is strange because Harry was begging the press to leave him alone. Harry behind the scenes was livid which is why the Royal press are so happy about what is happening. Harry offered support both security and KP advice and going after the UK press but this man is trying to play the pity card.

Tom Sr. called TMZ, Tom Sr. called Piers and yet this is Harry and Meghan's fault? Seems he took advantage of them.

How is this theory that KP and Meghan haven't tried to help her dad still an issue. In his own words he speaks about how they tried to help him and he turned it away. Didnt I also hear about Harry wanting to help him get to London?

Yes, you did. Honestly, it was difficult interview to watch because it's hard to understand him at times on top of the what were you thinking moments. There are still royal correspondents, and of course Piers Morgan himself, that's blaming KP for this. Piers wrote a piece in MailOnline about he wasn't given the support from KP when Tom Markle flat out stated to him that he was offered help.

Sorry, but unless Markle Snr is exceptionally dumb, there is 0 way he doesn’t know this is bad and an awful idea. In fact, he seems acutely aware it’s not a good idea hence why he yet again DIDNT inform his daughter or the palace.

I’ve said before when he pulled these things before the wedding and I will say again, he is gaslighting Meghan. He may not realize he is but he is absolutely being emotionally manipulative and IMO harassing his daughter with these media speak outs. I don’t know what has changed in the interim months to make him this way, but then again sometimes game brings out the worst in people.

I actually think it's both. He's exceptionally dumb (or more generously naive) and he knew this was a bad idea. He just figured that since he was only going to say "nice" things about Meghan it would be OK. He just HAD to get his story out there and history probably leads him to believe that Meghan will forgive him. Then again maybe I'm naive for wanting to believe that he's exceptionally dumb.

As for what changed, I think Thomas Markle was able to hold out against greed when tabloids were just offering money. But, he finally succumbed to the deadly combo of greed and pride. His eldest daughter knows him well. :ermm:

I won't praise him at all for holding out for 2 years until he sold his daughter out. Any half decent parent would hold out a life time, not just two years.

And I'm still not buying he's naive and easily manipulated. IMHO he feels he has right to be part of this story in history. He feels entitled to money through this story. And he couldn't care less how it hurts or affects Meghan, it isn't important to him. Jmho of course.

I think that's perhaps what you'd do rather than what Harry or BRF will do. Ultimately, he's unlikely to physically or emotionally harm any children Harry or Meghan would have. The BRF isn't going to bar him as long as Meghan wishes for him to be around in whatever limited capacity (it's not like they live in the same country). The Queen still received Fergie after we've all seen photos of her with stacks of money in front of her engaged in a conversation about selling access to Andrew and talking about why the Queen likes her. Clearly, her tolerance level is a lot higher than royal watchers.

Oh really? Then what do you suppose his unrelenting yakking off to the media, revealing private/intimate information about H&M and getting PAID for it is doing to Meghan?

Oh really? Then what do you suppose his unrelenting yakking off to the media, revealing private/intimate information about H&M and getting PAID for it is doing to Meghan?

I'm sure Harry and Meghan are still tucked away wherever they are safely despite Thomas Markle's interview. Nor do I expect two adults to be somehow traumatized by it. Meghan has been very clear on this, and that is she's not going to cut her father out of her life simply because he's spoken to press. Now I doubt she's about to share any secrets with him for awhile. I think if ANYONE understands the press intrusion and how difficult it can be, it's Meghan. It doesn't make what Thomas Markle did right and you can say that he's weak, but if anyone thinks Meghan and Harry are going to completely cut off Thomas or BRF will force them to is being unrealistic.

Holding off for two years? I’ve stated before that being a mere girlfriend is quite different from being a fiancée and prospective wife of a Prince. Once Meghan got engaged that was a game changer and all bets were off. And I don’t buy the narrative that only Meghan’s half- sib & paternal uncle(s) were involved in revealing/selling details of Sr’s whereabouts either.

That December newspaper exclusive looked so staged. IMHO he just wasn’t caught out in his shenanigans at the time.

I'm sure Harry and Meghan are still tucked away in wherever they are safely despite Thomas Markle's interview. Meghan has been very clear on this, and that is she's not going to cut her father out of her life. I think if ANYONE understands the press intrusion and how difficult it can be, it's Meghan. It doesn't make what Thomas Markle did right and you can say that he's weak, but if anyone thinks Meghan and Harry are going to completely cut off Thomas or BRF will force them to is being unrealistic.

Bit in bold: When did Meghan say this?

Bit in bold: When did Meghan say this?

That fact is very clear after what happened before the wedding. The fact that still wanted him there despite of him going to TMZ and photogate the week of her wedding, and she continues to release statements asking for understanding and respect to be given to him is pretty obvious where she stands on this. If pulling that crap the week she's getting married with the world watching, it'd take a lot. I'll add an exception to that, if Tom Markle somehow commits a heinous crime, she might distance herself.

I can very well see Meghan cutting him out her life after this...

Fair enough on the surface I suppose. Yet, please not so fast...

OMG, I don't even know where to begin. :ohmy: I listened to the entire Thomas Markle interview, but I haven't read every post in this thread. I agree with @Osipi that Thomas Markle Snr is clearly being manipulated and exploited by the media. This is the first time we've actually heard his voice and seen him up close in an interview setting. We now know the chronology surrounding his anticipated participation in Meghan's wedding, and I'm glad to hear about those details. However, the manipulative, two-faced way that information was wrung out of this mild-mannered elderly gentleman by GMB is reprehensible. It seems to me that in order to land the interview, Piers and GMB producers buttered Mr. Markle up, soothed his ego and presented themselves as respectable, well-regarded British journalists who could help Mr. Markle 'set the record straight.' :ermm:

In no way does it look at all to me like Mr. Markle is being deceptive or intentionally trying to harm or 'harass' his daughter. Anyone who watches the entire interview in context (if they can get past the squirm-worthy supercilious questioning by Piers and his co-host), surely can't fail to see that Mr. Markle is a sweet guy and a regular 'Joe' who is simply in over his head. I feel so sorry for Mr. Markle Snr. And I also have sympathy for Meghan and Harry.

I love Mr. Markle pointing out that his daughter is very intelligent and that she brings something to Prince Harry and to the royals, and that she's been a princess from the day she was born. That's very true. Quite clearly also throughout the interview Mr. Markle was very respectful and admiring of the entire royal family. His admiring comments about the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince Harry seem straightforward and genuine. All that said, clearly the interview was overly revealing (to say the least), and Mr. Markle used poor judgment in granting it. But I still do not blame him. The blame lies squarely with the manipulative hosts and their self-aggrandizing attempts to land an 'exclusive.'

What it all boils down to is that we have absolutely no clue how Meghan feels or how she is going to "handle" any problems that are ongoing with her father or if there really is a problem at all. What we know is what the media (aka Piers Morgan or any sibling) has brought to the forefront and have presented to the public. Its all we have to go by. Third party information reporting although I'm on the fence with Tom Markle Sr.'s remarks to Piers and do sort of agree with the idea that he was only trying to be "nice".

How many people actually do realize that the BRF are to remain apolitical to the public? Someone in an article mentioned that Granny isn't going to be too happy with spilling the beans on Harry's political bents (if one could call it that) but as I see it, that conversation between Tom and Harry was a private one and Harry had every expectations of it being a private conversation and on the other hand, Tom Sr. probably had no reason to even think that mentioning things that are of a political nature and a no-no when it comes to the BRF. That kind of think wasn't in his wheelhouse of information of the "do" and "don't do" in relation to the BRF.

This is a tenuous relationship between a father and daughter. Not a 73 year old man living in Mexico and a Duchess of the UK. They will work this out themselves, in their own time and in their own ways.

On a positive note to all this kerfluffle recently, this ominous cloud does have its silver lining. At least Meghan doesn't have to go through this alone and deal with it alone. She's got the strongest support system possible in Harry. ?

I have a feeling too that the BRF as a whole are sympathizing with her because they have been through similar situations in years past with family members revealing too much to the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom