The Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soapstar

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Hermosa Beach
Country
United States
In the last few months, the Family and Background thread has been shut down numerous times due to in-fighting, gossip/speculation and off-topic discussions, so the moderators would like to lay out a few ground rules for the thread.

• It is clear that Meghan’s family brings out strong emotions in posters. We have frequently had to delete posts due to unfounded accusations, defamatory comments (crazy, mentally ill, vile, trash, etc.) or because comments crossed a line. As with our forum rule on royals, criticism of Meghan’s family is fine, but name-calling and defamatory statements are not.

• There has been a lot of gossip and speculation in this thread, so please be mindful of the information you are posting. Tumblr and other boards are not a valid source, nor is the gossip you heard from a friend. Opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and whenever possible, backed up by references to those sources. Moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing unsubstantiated hearsay, gossip and speculation.

• This is a discussion forum, so there will be a variety of opinions. If someone disagrees with you on a topic, there is no need to make it personal. Petty swipes and dismissing the opinion of other members is not helpful and only causes a disruption to the thread. Not to mention all of the in-fighting is unfair to posters who are trying to have a discussion without all of the drama.

Members are reminded to be respectful to one another and to follow the rules of the board.

Last edited:
What a cool story! Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
fix quote box and edit quote due to copyright

https://www.today.com/popculture/oprah-winfrey-shares-details-day-former-meghan-markle-s-mom-t130766

"Meghan's mom had come to my house and she left laden with gifts," Winfrey recalled. "You know what the gifts were? First, she's great at yoga, so I said 'Bring your yoga mat and your sneaks in case we just want to do yoga on the lawn.'"
The pair also snacked on a dessert made from very locally-sourced kumquats. "She said, 'I love kumquats,' and I said, 'I have a kumquat tree!'" said Oprah, which makes sense: we imagine she has one of every kind of fruit-bearing tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.today.com/popculture/oprah-winfrey-shares-details-day-former-meghan-markle-s-mom-t130766

"Meghan's mom had come to my house and she left laden with gifts," Winfrey recalled. "You know what the gifts were? First, she's great at yoga, so I said 'Bring your yoga mat and your sneaks in case we just want to do yoga on the lawn.'"
The pair also snacked on a dessert made from very locally-sourced kumquats. "She said, 'I love kumquats,' and I said, 'I have a kumquat tree!'" said Oprah, which makes sense: we imagine she has one of every kind of fruit-bearing tree.

Love that O straightened out everything.

Thomas Markle Snr is currently on Good Morning Britain talking to Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid.

Piers is asking questions about pregnancy rumours, Thomas' personal life, whether Thomas has met other members of the RF.

Thomas is quite obviously very nervous, whether he has chosen to do this or someone has forced him to do it it's unclear but i don't think he wants to do it.

Thomas is talking about his early career, how he met Doria and fell in love, how the marriage didn't work. He is talking with such emotion about Meghan. He's apparently looking forward to coming to London soon. Thomas had worked on a speech for the wedding, he feels bad that Meghan put all the working and he didn't. Apparently in an instagram post Meghan thanked her father (assuming this is not this year), for a lot including giving her the Markle nose!

Ha! Thomas says that when Rachel Zane left Suits it ruined the show for him!

This is a long interview!

He sends his love to them both, he's not in a mexican hideaway, he couldn't be more proud of them and he loves them dearly. Piers calls him a very decent guy. In Thomas' first conversation with Henry they had an argument about Donald Trump which Henry tried to calm him down over. Thomas "thinks" Henry is open to the experiment of Brexit but this came from a push question by Piers.

Thomas Markle says Donald Trump has had his chance, and now he's done.

Piers is being a bit silly now, as he's asking Thomas is opinion on Henry between the two of us, when they're both on live television.

Thomas has nothing but praise for Henry and Meghan. The staged photos were a serious mistake, and he's hurting from the decision he made to stay away from the wedding. He has to pay for that decision for the rest of his life.

Thomas Markle expresses regret at not giving Meghan away and thanks 'handsome' Prince Charles | Daily Mail Online

Hardly a warning :whistling:

Thomas Markle Snr is currently on Good Morning Britain talking to Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid.

Piers is asking questions about pregnancy rumours, Thomas' personal life, whether Thomas has met other members of the RF.

Thomas is quite obviously very nervous, whether he has chosen to do this or someone has forced him to do it it's unclear but i don't think he wants to do it.
Tom talking about Harry's views on Trump and Brexit makes me think there isn't going to be a quiet breakfast neither at Nottingham cottage nor at Windsor this morning.

Harry's supposed answers on Trump and Brexit were very non-committal and vague. I mean these conversations would have happened after both Brexit and the Election in the US so what was Harry supposed to say? I am sure he has been raised since birth to be as vague as possible when talking politics to someone who he didn't know at this point.

The media will absolutely run with that though. It is going to be a rough week for KP. I honestly may take a break from Royal watching for a few days. Whenever Markle Sr pops up, ugly drama ensues.

The media will absolutely run with that though. It is going to be a rough week for KP. I honestly may take a break from Royal watching for a few days. Whenever Markle Sr pops up, ugly drama ensues.

It's Mette-Marit and her father all over again but on an international stage and hopefully without the strippers...

Last edited:
I am guessing, and could be wrong, that KP didn't know about this ahead of time which means Meghan is waking up to this like the rest of us.

Sigh, you would think Tom would have learned...

Count me as one who doesn’t think that Mr. Markle is obliged to keep his mouth shut for the rest of his days. He’s an American citizen who doesn’t have to keep his opinions to himself lest he upset the grey men of BP or KP. Besides that, what he said was pretty anodyne.

Thanks Lumutqueen! :flowers:

Well, talking to Piers Morgan isn't actually very wise of him, is it.

--------------------

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely blaming the media here.
It's Mette-Marit and her father all over again but on an international stage and hopefully without the strippers...
Don't even remind me of it. ?

-------------------

I am guessing, and could be wrong, that KP didn't know about this ahead of time which means Meghan is waking up to this like the rest of us.

Sigh, you would think Tom would have learned...
I would be very surprised if they knew about it, because then they would have done everything they could to stop it (I mean, it's Piers Morgan).

What a sweet man. ❤️ Such a human story, so simple and graceful. A decent man, like Piers said, a good man. It was hard to watch his discomfort. I wonder why he did the interview? Do Harry and Meghan know?

It sounds like he expects to be coming to London to meet 'the family'. :huh: Can't see a man like him making up stories. Will be interesting to see how this shakes down. Doria manages to stay silent, wonder why he decided to talk.

Last edited:
How can people say that this is sweet or misguided. He basically implied that Harry might abuse Meghan amongst other things.Did y’all even watch this interview?? It was terrible.

Count me as one who doesn’t think that Mr. Markle is obliged to keep his mouth shut for the rest of his days. He’s an American citizen who doesn’t have to keep his opinions to himself lest he upset the grey men of BP or KP. Besides that, what he said was pretty anodyne.

How about keeping his mouth shut lest he upset his daughter? Meghan's coming off a great solo engagement with HMQ and now kicks off the week with this dumpster fire. Thomas Markle can talk about his own opinions and feelings all day long (though I wish he wouldn't) but it's past time for him to keep H&M's names out of his mouth. Saying anything, positive or negative, just makes it harder for Meghan.

How can people say that this is sweet or misguided. He basically implied that Harry might abuse Meghan amongst other things.Did y’all even watch this interview?? It was terrible.
He did WHAT?

Sweet man? Far from it. Poor Meghan. I suspect whatever relationship they had is officially over. If I were her I would completely cut him out of my life.

He wants to come to London? What a joke. Anyone notice how he keeps mentioning how upset he is that he is not part of history. And how uncomfortable was his comment that the 1st thing he said to Harry was "don't raise hand to her." Sheesh.

It all makes sense why she delayed telling him. He kept repeating how Meghan and Harry stressed to him to NOT talk to the press and here he is doing it anyways. And all he could say to it was that he felt he needed to clear the air and he hopes they will forgive him.

The worst.

the 1st thing he said to Harry was "don't raise hand to her."

A remark that says more about Mr Markle, than about Harry IMO.. Why would he EVEN think that a possibility about someone he doesn't know and seems not to have yet met [unless it's in his own repertoire] ???

Last edited:
Kensington Palace is refusing to comment on Thomas Markle’s claims that Prince Harry told him to “give Trump a chance” and that the sixth in line to the throne was open to Brexit.

FWIW royal sources were at pains to stress that Harry and Meghan had spoken to Mr Markle several times in the week of the wedding after KP was criticised for not bringing him into the fold and giving him greater support.

Via Richard Palmer Twitter

Thomas Markle admitted Harry and Meghan offered him support and told him to avoid the press. He stressed how they stressed it. He just didn't listen to them and ignored their help.

Even when he was told doing this interview could upset Meghan he just said he needed to explain he didn't fake his heart attack and hope they would understand. He obviously doesn't care and refuses to listen.

That entire interview was a mess. Thank goodness for Doria.

Such a shame. I find it hard to believe anything Thomas Markle says. I doubt we will ever find out the political leanings of all the members of the BRF. But I doubt Harry would have anything positive to say about Trump considering the things he publicly stated about his mother.

My goodness, here we go for Round 2—blah, blah, blah and IMO that’s exactly what it is BLAH.

Won’t be surprised if tomorrow brings a chirping from a sibling giving her take on this...

This is why @KensingtonRoyal won’t welcome Thomas Markle’s interview on @GMB. He’s talking about his conversation with Prince Harry about Donald Trump and Brexit ��

Prince Harry spoke to Thomas Markle about #Brexit. His father-in-law tells @GMB Harry thinks Brexit is ‘an experiment’ that ‘we have to try’.
All a little too close to the political debate for the Royal Family ...

Via Chris Ship Twitter

Harry's been trained since boyhood to be deliberately vague about politicians and political issues. I doubt he would be letting it all hang out with a near stranger, even if it is Meghan's dad.

Tom has said pleasant things about Harry and Meghan. Nevertheless, I just wish he had remained silent. Perhaps he will from now on. At best this is very naive behaviour on Tom's part, at worst a case of 'I want to explain this on national TV and forget about discretion'. I think Meghan will be upset, and that's not surprising.

I’m not sure this is going to do much to help family relations....

Via Rebecca English Twitter

Oh well, if Meghan cuts her father out of her life she will if she has a good reason to, if she hasn't she won't.
In spite of some Royal correspondents and others practically wetting themselves with excitement over this, it isn't exactly some world-shattering scandal that is going to reverberate through the centuries.

Thomas Markle admitted Harry and Meghan offered him support and told him to avoid the press. He stressed how they stressed it. He just didn't listen to them and ignored their help.

Even when he was told doing this interview could upset Meghan he just said he needed to explain he didn't fake his heart attack and hope they would understand. He obviously doesn't care and refuses to listen.

That entire interview was a mess. Thank goodness for Doria.

THIS.

There is absolutely nothing sweet about this.

This man is quite literally only concerned with himself and how he is presented in the media. He is literally pouring gasoline on a fire that was slowly dying. For what? So that he can make himself feel better.

This is what a narcissist as a parent looks like.

They literally begged him to please stop talking to the press and despite having been told again that Meghan would be very hurt if her went ahead with this interview, he decided that HE DIDN'T CARE IF HE HURT HIS OWN DAUGHTER - AGAIN!!! - after all the pain and stress he had already caused her during a time that should have been a joyous and happy occasion.

I am just very, very sad for Meghan - to be continuously confronted with how little her own father cares for her well being and happiness time and time again.

Last edited:

yes, you found the right comparison. this was due to happen - royalty marrying a celeb, one of dubious upbringing within a disfunctional family is just not a good idea.

He wants to come to London? What a joke. Anyone notice how he keeps mentioning how upset he is that he is not part of history. And how uncomfortable was his comment that the 1st thing he said to Harry was "don't raise hand to her." Sheesh.

i can see how meghan turned out a feminist - this is just so embarrassing.

i feel embarrassed for meghan and for the BRF for having to deal with this and for the embarrassment this man caused them on the days leading to the wedding. this is just the worst comment ever made by a father of a royal bride. i think more and more that the 'medical treatment' that was mentioned thomas markle needed on the days prior to the wedding was not really 'medical treatment' - just a way out for the BRF inviting him to the wedding after potentially another (private) embarrassment.

how the queen thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

Thomas Markle was paid 'a few thousand pounds' for his interview with @GMB today. There was no Kensington Palace approval for this. He is entitled to accept payment, of course, but it does raise questions about his ongoing relationship with daughter Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.

Via Rebecca English Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom