Sussex Royal - The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now? Nothing, and I think that is due to the current dynamic with the media. I began to address this in my post but left it off to keep the media from becoming a thread of discussion. I believe that, with their current relationship to the media, there is probably nothing that can fit into this category, which is why I used the future tense. I also think it is a sad state of affairs because their voices could be very powerful now in many areas, were things not this way.

That said, I do think there is a wealth of things that, when the narrative is righted between the media and the Sussexes, will fall into this last category: things they can tackle that no one else could without criticism. I think they can and will do this.

Unfortunately, discussing this thread of thought further-- whether the narrative will ever be righted, why the situation is what it is, etc-- would lead us too far down the media narrative, I'm afraid.

I'm aware that tourism has become a problem in some locations and has placed an undue burden on the environment. I'm less clear how partnering with companies that make money off lots and lots of people using their travel services is a benefit for the environment. That remains to be seen. I'm also interested in how royals promoting those for-profit services will play out in the long run, because I can see the potential downside.

You answered your own questions-millions of people use their services :flowers:

Have you ever heard the term 'influencers'?? Why do you think royals are asked to be patrons of charities? Why do you think charities use big corporate sponsors? Not simply for money. But to get their word out. Nothing different here. And nothing new. Royals have been paired with commercial businesses on charity events plenty of times. They dont only work with non-profits. The only issue would be if Harry and Meghan were receiving private money from these companies for their own personal pockets.

How do people decide to go some where on holidays? How do they decide on what activities they are going to go on? Where they are going to stay? 10 years ago the answer may have been travel agent. Now? The internet. And on websites of companies like these ones. People not only book their plane tickets and their hotels, but they book excursions as well. This is the target.

Harry is not promoting these businesses. He is not driving them business. These businesses are teaming together for a cause. Like sponsors in a marathon. They are competitors in business world, work together for a good cause. The hope is more travel companies will join forces with the initiative.

The initiative:

1. these companies will promote eco-tourist activities on their websites. Helping to drive their large customer base towards more sustainable activity

2 They will use their web and social media pressence to not only sell excursions, but also educate the tourists on the benefits of such plans

3 Donations will also be made to help develop the programs and educate people on the ground.

The initiative is not simply to help the environment for future generations. But also the countries these places are in. By helping increase their economy by sustaining a huge economy for them which is tourism. The initiative will also draw attention to activities some may not be aware of and bringing more people to these places and activities.

why do they need to 'launch their foundation in the US' exactly? and why are they hiring american PR firms? are there no good PR firms in the UK?

why do they need to 'launch their foundation in the US' exactly? and why are they hiring american PR firms? are there no good PR firms in the UK?

They’re expanding the reach of their UK foundation to the US.

They’re expanding the reach of their UK foundation to the US.

Surely as members of the BRF, the focus of their chartiable efforts have to be the UK. Has the foundation largely achieved what it needs to in the UK that it is heading to the US?

Surely as members of the BRF, the focus of their chartiable efforts have to be the UK. Has the foundation largely achieved what it needs to in the UK that it is heading to the US?

Maybe it is a fundraising endeavor? Generous American philanthropists often donate to foundations and charities in other countries.

They’re focus is in the U.K. Even the Royal Foundation have American support. They’re likely going to expand their foundations reach, too.

Maybe it is a fundraising endeavor? Generous American philanthropists often donate to foundations and charities in other countries.

And some foundations and charities operate in multiple countries. That however doesn't mean people in the UK wouldn't benefit. The world becomes smaller by the dat, so I see no harm in expanding.

They’re focus is in the U.K. Even the Royal Foundation have American support. They’re likely going to expand their foundations reach, too.

According to the public records the Sussex Foundation is registered under many Commonwealth countries and the US. Not just England and Wales like the Royal Foundation was. Not really that surprised they want a US branch. They want the options it seems which makes sense with the roles with the Commonwealth especially with the QCT.

This is just my opinion but if we live in a global society where a burp can be heard around the world instantly, it makes sense to have a foundation with branches and contacts all over the world also.

Many incentives by royals such as Harry's Invictus Games are far reaching and involve the betterment not only of the UK, but of the world that the UK is part of.

Its a good move in my book. ?

absolutely my thoughts. perhaps, given that they are british royalty, they could focus on the UK first? (and this applies to charitable activity and fundraising efforts)

my thoughts are that these two love the limelight. heading to the US does precisely that.

I think the Foundation having a presence in America is good but it seems odd to be starting to think about that before the Foundation is even set up in the UK.

There have been lots of articles recently about how Meghan continues to use her American agent and now they hire an American PR firm 'for the foundation'.

Whilst I think they are doing good work, and to a certain extent it doesn't matter whether that is here in the UK or anywhere else, as British royals they should IMO focus on setting up their foundation in the UK, at times it does feel a little bit like they care more about the US and the media there. That may well be because they get less of a hard time there as they are seen more as celebrities rather than being held to the higher standard royals are. I can understand that,why keep putting yourself out to a specific audience just to get knocked down. But ultimately the UK is their country, who's royals they are and who help maintain their lifestyle and official work, they need the British people onside.

I think the SussexRoyal Foundation will have roots/base focus in the UK but will also have a global aspect to it, after all Harry and Meghan have more of a global impact something the Queen (and Charles) understand which is why they are preparing for their 3rd tour in a year. And why she has asked them to be more involved in the Commonwealth (global).

Not to mention the UK isn't that big and I don't think it is in the best interest of either the SussexRoyal Foundation or the Royal Foundation of DDOC to be competition with each other for the same resources.

Not to mention the UK isn't that big and I don't think it is in the best interest of either the SussexRoyal Foundation or the Royal Foundation of DDOC to be competition with each other for the same resources.

each royal in the BRF has his/her/their foundation - they all operate in the UK and there has never been a thought of these foundations being in 'competition' with each other. why now?

each royal in the BRF has his/her/their foundation - they all operate in the UK and there has never been a thought of these foundations being in 'competition' with each other. why now?

Because there is yet another foundation being add to the mix. Resources (anywhere) are not unlimited..at some point there is a max potential. Not to mention there is already a media inspired competition between the Sussexes & Cambridges (even within the old Foundation) so it is likely to spread with two new ones.

Why are some so against SussexRoyal Foundation expanding beyond the UK? Harry's biggest projects have had global impact. Also, it isn't like they don't do things within the UK as Meghan's biggest projects have been UK focused.

I don't get this idea that Meghan is catering or focusing on the US when ALL of her initiatives and projects have been UK based. The cookbook with the victims of Grenfell. The UK magazine. SmartWorks a UK organization. QCT.

I have yet to see one US based endeavor. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is not her fault she has a massive following overseas. She is American. Of course they will have a great interest in what she does. They report on her as much as they do in the UK. But that doesn't change the fact she is still very UK based, as they should be.

These "reports" in which a few have already been disprove between the correspondents are mostly sensational clickbait. According to some Heather Wong has been gone since May and yet she still on their staff. Samantha Cohen as well. I have lost count on her "last day" according to the papers.

The Foundation is registered under a number of Commonwealth countries (which the papers seem to not want to mention) as well as the US. That just seems to be them not wanting to be restricted in any way. If they are in, lets say India, they want the ability to do something there under their foundation.

As the President and Vice President of the QCT and Harry's role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador -- this makes a lot sense.

I think it would have been better if the Sussex foundation had established a strong presence in the UK and the Commonwealth before expanding out to the US. As it is, this feeds in to the Harry and Meghan as celebrities narrative rather than as British royals focusing on the needs and interests of the UK. It's all about perception, and the Sussexes, for whatever reason, have been fairly consistent in making clear that they intend to be a global brand. That may suit them and their objectives, but I'm not sure how it's going to suit the needs of the BRF, and the needs of the British people in the long term. I suspect we're going to find out. The idea that the UK is too small to need Harry and Meghan to focus on the needs and interests of the people there then raises the question that if that's true, perhaps they are irrelevant as members of the royal family. I don't believe that, but I do think they are establishing a distinct pattern, and I also think that that is worth paying attention to. Whether it's the wisest plan in the long run I think is questionable.

I think it would have been better if the Sussex foundation had established a strong presence in the UK and the Commonwealth before expanding out to the US. As it is, this feeds in to the Harry and Meghan as celebrities narrative rather than as British royals focusing on the needs and interests of the UK. It's all about perception, and the Sussexes, for whatever reason, have been fairly consistent in making clear that they intend to be a global brand. That may suit them and their objectives, but I'm not sure how it's going to suit the needs of the BRF, and the needs of the British people in the long term. I suspect we're going to find out. The idea that the UK is too small to need Harry and Meghan to focus on the needs and interests of the people there then raises the question that if that's true, perhaps they are irrelevant as members of the royal family. I don't believe that, but I do think they are establishing a distinct pattern, and I also think that that is worth paying attention to. Whether it's the wisest plan in the long run I think is questionable.

A very well written post., IMO!

H&M need to primarily focus on building up their sphere of work in the UK and the Commonwealth. There are plenty of causes for them to support here, and I am sure they will do a competent job of it.

I don't know how much of it is a narrative that the press want to put out there, but in building this "global brand" that one regularly hears about, they need to be careful that it is not in any way inconsistent with their obligations and duties to The Firm and the British people. The Firm will always come first. The Press and the people will be watching to see how this evolves.

In this game, perceptions matter. Why do they need US based PR firms, staff, agents etc?

Last edited:

Harry and Meghan are hardly the irrelevant members of the royal family...neither can breathe without someone reporting on it because there is so much interest in them right now.

My comments on the competition within the UK for the same resources has already happened this year when Harry had to reschedule his travel/environment project to August because the original date conflicted with major engagements that both Charles and William were doing.

It makes sense to me that the future kings should keep their focus on the UK and have their ambassadors (other working members of the royal family) focus on other countries that have the Queen as their sovereign and commonwealth countries.

If you look at the 'firm' as a business use your employees best skills to strengthen the company. Harry & Meghan have a global strength that can enhance relationships with allies such as the US and man commonwealth countries that may come in handy for the UK as a whole as it works through the brexit situation. That was one of the main reasons they sent Harry and a 7 month pregnant Meghan to Morocco.

None of this means that Harry and Meghan won't focus on UK charities as I mention previously most of Meghan's projects thus far have been UK focused. Not to mention because of the involvement of Harry & Meghan many UK & commonwealth charities received donations from around the world (WellChild, Mayhew, Smartworks, Together, Senetable, Camfed to name a few.

So far the only evidence that they have any plans to do work in the US is the claim they have hired this PR firm.

Both Harry and Meghan have focussed all of their work in the UK and in the commonwealth countries. All of this negative press that Meghan is seeking the limelight, and the Hollywood life still, has no grounds in reality I can see. There is not a single initiative she has been involved in, which was outside of the UK or commonwealth.

Meghan:
-Smart works: UK based and working with British designers for the clothing
-ACU: commonwealth universities
-Mayhew: London based animal welfare
-Royal theater: London
-Queen's commonwealth trust: commonwealth countries
-Grenfell cookbook project: London based

I have yet to see anyone point to anything that is 1. 'celebrity based' or 2. outside of the UK and commonwealth as she is being attacked for.

The reality is though that with time their charity work will take them to countries outside the commonwealth. We have seen Harry actively involved in the US because of his involvement both with Walking with the wounded, and with the Invictus Games.

Honestly I think Meghan is taking the blame where she doesnt warrant it. It is more likely Harry is the cause of this shift then Meghan is. Harry is the one who has an initiative that could benefit from the an American PR firm. His new Travalyst initiative. The organization will be working all over the globe. And since many of the companies partnered are American, there is already a shift. One cant argue that Harry hasnt put in his dues with British charities over the yeaers, he isnt new to the royal family.

If there is a valid need to criticize this move, then the criticism should be directed at the correct person. And as it stands now, all evidence points at Harry not Meghan. Just because she is American, doesnt mean the fault lies with her.

As for the idea that they become irrevelant because they are looking outwards......just the opposite. Most people today realize we are living in a global world. Harry and Meghan actually appeal to the younger generation. Things like Travalyst which will benefit the UK and commonwealth as well as the other countries involved. Its clear from their appointment with the commonwealth trust, and the direction of their foundation, that the intention seems to be for their focus to be abroad and there is nothing wrong with that.

For royalty to remain relevant it needs to modernize and embrace that. While the monarch and direct heirs stick to tradition, the rest of the family can branch out and take on more modern growth. Harry and Meghan seem to be becoming the new Edward and Sophie. While active in the UK, have become more the face of the BRF abroad. While the other royals do tours yes, Edward and Sophie are often abroad, both with the Duke of Edinburgh awards and other projects. They are also the face at many of the continental royal events. As the future queen and king, William and Kate have to be focussed on tradition, and on the UK, close to home. And that seems to suit them. Harry and Meghan have room to grow and expand.

Last edited:
Registering in the United States and having 501c3 status allows any person, group or corporation to claim donations to a charity with 501c3 status on their income taxes. I believe this is why they registered in the United States. Such a charity can also apply for grants.

I believe that whatever decisions are being made regarding the work of the Sussex foundation are being made by both Sussexes, which I have made fairly clear in my posts.

The idea that for royalty to be relevant they have to look outward is an interesting one, and may well end up being true, but what I and many other observers are seeing in the world right now is that as in one way we are becoming increasingly global, we are also seeing a huge upsurge in nationalistic and even jingoistic sentiments. Without getting overtly political, there is plenty of evidence that this is a worldwide phenomenon, and all we have to do is watch the Brexit drama to see how that is playing out in one small corner of the world. So I think it is going to be very interesting indeed to see how this ends up affecting all the royal families in Europe, and especially the Sussexes as they develop their roles and objectives.

Her husband Nick Jones owns SoHo house... ;)

Kirsty is a well respected journalist is her own right. Given the Sussex' potential closeness with the Nick and Kirsty, query if Kirsty is advising them on their ongoing battle against the media.

Kirsty is a well respected journalist is her own right. Given the Sussex' potential closeness with the Nick and Kirsty, query if Kirsty is advising them on their ongoing battle against the media.

She is well respected as are dozen of other journalists, only one though is married to nick jones of SoHo house.

As far as advising, no idea. They already have a couple of media advisers and at some point too many cooks spoil the broth.

I’m not sure who they’re listening too.

I think it’s pretty clear that the BRF have tapped Harry and Meghan to have their focus of work veer somewhat international/Commonwealth going forward. They have both been given Commonwealth position/offices, which seemed to be hinted at when she made such a point of having all of the Commonwealth represented on her wedding veil. That focus builds quite logically on his pre-Meghan history of African volunteer work and the Invictus games. The BRF is not simply the royal house of the UK. The queen has always placed great importance (moreso, I think, than many of her British subjects, especially those I see commenting here) on the role that her household plays in Commonwealth countries and the opportunities they have to make a difference on a global scale.

If the Sussex foundation is going to do work that tackles some of the most pressing issues in the poorest Commonwealth nations, they are going to need a lot of donations from all over the world. And if they want American corporate donations, or a seamless partnership with like-minded charitable groups with US headquarters, they need to be registered in the US as a 501(c)3.

She also the President of Unicef. Just focusing on her being the wife of Nick Jones while ignoring all her own amazing achievements is fascinating, but predicable.

Great addition. Looking forward to the roll out next year.

Last edited:
:previous:

I said she’s well respected but even Omid’s headline can’t escape the connection. The Sussexes have many friends at Soho house.

“Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan Choose Close Friend as Sussex Royal Charity Trustee.
The Duke and Sussex welcome journalist Kirsty Young, wife of Soho House founder Nick Jones, to the board.”

She also the President of Unicef. Just focusing on her being the wife of Nick Jones while ignoring all her own amazing achievements is fascinating, but predicable.

Great addition. Looking forward to the roll out next year.

Agreed on all fronts. She has multiple connections that make sense for this foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom