Staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, Muriel. How much public attention the Sussexes garner has no bearing whatsoever on the inner workings of the "Firm" and Harry and Meghan work for said "Firm" and when the "Firm" announces things, its done through the ways and means that are "officially sanctioned" such as Buckinghamn Palace announces, Kensington Palace announces, Clarence House announces and so forth.

I think the biggest misunderstanding is that with Harry and Meghan setting up shop at BP with their own household and offices, it seems like they're branching out "on their own" which they are not. They're really just moving to a different department of the "Firm" and setting up their own "department" within the "Firm".

I do not believe that either Harry or Meghan will ever establish a public Twitter site or Instagram site. That would be just asking for trouble and as been stated, Meghan does not pay attention to that sort of thing any longer since she's closed down the Tig before her engagement to Harry. They've got way too many other things to focus their lives on.

Last edited:
what kind of staff do other households' (like anne's, the wessexes, etc) currently have that the sussexes will need to get? what is the typical composition of roles within a royal household of a more minor royal couple (than the queen, POW, the cambridges) exactly?

In some cases we know. Numbers for POW staff get published. But in most cases, it's not public as far as I know. There is no way I have found to search the BRF Forum for Threads about staff. :(

I agree with you, Muriel. How much public attraction the Sussexes garner has no bearing whatsoever on the inner workings of the "Firm" and Harry and Meghan work for said "Firm" and when the "Firm" announces things, its done through the ways and means that are "officially sanctioned" such as Buckinghamn Palace announces, Kensington Palace announces, Clarence House announces and so forth.

I think the biggest misunderstanding is that with Harry and Meghan setting up shop at BP with their own household and offices, it seems like their branching out "on their own" which they are not. They're really just moving to a different department of the "Firm" and setting up their own "department" within the "Firm".

I do not believe that either Harry or Meghan will ever establish a public Twitter site or Instagram site. That would be just asking for trouble and as been stated, Meghan does not pay attention to that sort of thing any longer since she's closed down the Tig before her engagement to Harry. They've got way too many other things to focus their lives on.

There is no confusion here. I think most understand what households means but I still think they likely will be establishing their own social media. Why hire their own head of communication? They can just use BP's like Andrew does and he has his own accounts. They aren't and they hired a high powered one at that. Can't ignore those clear signs this isn't *just like* the others because while in many ways it is, in some crucial ways it is also not. This hire being a glaring example.

I feel some might be seeing social media like it will be them chatting it up with fans or something. It will be just like CH and KP posting their engagements and focusing on their own endeavors. So in that scheme of things why are people against it? Frankly if HMQ and Prince Charles have signed off on it then they clearly agree it is for the best as well.

We will see soon enough either way once it is all established in the spring.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Muriel. How much public attention the Sussexes garner has no bearing whatsoever on the inner workings of the "Firm" and Harry and Meghan work for said "Firm" and when the "Firm" announces things, its done through the ways and means that are "officially sanctioned" such as Buckinghamn Palace announces, Kensington Palace announces, Clarence House announces and so forth.

I think the biggest misunderstanding is that with Harry and Meghan setting up shop at BP with their own household and offices, it seems like they're branching out "on their own" which they are not. They're really just moving to a different department of the "Firm" and setting up their own "department" within the "Firm".

I get the impression the expectation from some may have been that William, Kate, Harry and Meghan would have some sort of Fabulous Four set up, with no differentiation made between the role of each individual and each couple. And also that the amount of public attention Harry and Meghan are currently receiving would somehow influence BP’s strategy as to where to put them, both physically and logistically, within the organization. But, as you point out, that’s not how the RF functions.

I actually think this separation is overdue. As much as I’m sure we all wish The Queen could live forever, she’s a very elderly woman, and has been for some time. Charles could be King tomorrow, and William first in line to the throne, with all that entails. The last thing I’m sure anyone involved wants is to have to suddenly shuffle Harry and Meghan into the BP structure at a time when everyone’s focus and all available resources will be on the major changes both Charles’ and William’s households will need in the run up to QEII’s funeral and the coronation. IMO the restructuring should have happened when William married but Harry getting married is also a natural time to make the changes in a sensible and orderly fashion.

what kind of staff do other households' (like anne's, the wessexes, etc) currently have that the sussexes will need to get? what is the typical composition of roles within a royal household of a more minor royal couple (than the queen, POW, the cambridges) exactly?

I don't know if this is what you mean but if you scroll down this article, you'll see the household staff of Andrew, Anne & Edward:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Households_of_the_United_Kingdom

Why hire their own head of communication?

Simple. They needed a head of communications that is adept at communicating with the staff and offices of others within the "Firm". Interdepartmental communicating.

We know that the members of the royal family mostly use their communication staff to set up things with another royal's staff like for lunch with Anne or tea with the Queen or to arrange a joint event. These are people that wrote the book on "have your people call my people and arrange it all" kind of thing. Communications doesn't mean primarily the press and press releases or social media.

For example, it is said that before Charles and Diana separated and set up their own household and offices, it was a right royal mess. There wasn't much real communication as that office fell into "his staff" and "her staff".

This is just how I see it. ?

I am not suggesting they not have staff support them, just querying why they need to have a dedicated Communications or Press team. IMO, the Comms ? Press function for the Sussex couple should just be an integrated part of the BP Press team.

I think its probably because there is so much press interest in the Sussex's. Likely they would have had to take someone on to help manage with the increased interest so this is just acknowledging that and giving the Sussex's one key point for all media. Interesting IMO that they make it clear that their new PR supremo will still come under the oversight of the Queen's Communications secretary.

I do think this has been well thought out and long planned. Bear in mind Harry is in a unique position as, apart from William who is a direct heir, he and Meghan are the only grandchild generations of the Queen working as official full time royals.

Simple. They needed a head of communications that is adept at communicating with the staff and offices of others within the "Firm". Interdepartmental communicating.

We know that the members of the royal family mostly use their communication staff to set up things with another royal's staff like for lunch with Anne or tea with the Queen or to arrange a joint event. These are people that wrote the book on "have your people call my people and arrange it all" kind of thing. Communications doesn't mean primarily the press and press releases or social media.

For example, it is said that before Charles and Diana separated and set up their own household and offices, it was a right royal mess. There wasn't much real communication as that office fell into "his staff" and "her staff".

Personally I have never seen evidence that Communications staff are used to communicate internally. I was always under the impression the communications staff were there to communicate with the media and, nowadays, the public directly to highlight the work the royals are doing and shine a light on the causes the royals are working with. Of course at times they are needed to "defend" the royals and manage stories about private lives but not arrange meetings with other royals.
Yes we know the Queen and her family seem to have a more formal approach to setting up lunches etc but that is done by private household or assistant staff not PR experts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would they need to hire someone of the caliber of Sara Latham as their communication director for internal use? That really doesn't make much sense to me considering BP has a well established team who knows their system. If the others can make it work than the Sussexes would have as well... right? This hire tells me it is more for the outside communications which is typically their main job. And the fact they opted out of the BP staff and looking purely outside for their own just confirms it more for me.

Why would they need to hire someone of the caliber of Sara Latham as their communication director for internal use? That really doesn't make much sense to me considering BP has a well established team who knows their system. If the others can make it work than the Sussexes would have as well... right? This hire tells me it is more for the outside communications which is typically their main job. And the fact they opted out of the BP staff and looking purely outside for their own just confirms it more for me.

I let my fingers do the surfing and it seems that both you and tommy are more on point than I was. They've hired Sara Latham who is adept at *any* kind of communication and if I'm not mistaken, the head of communications also travels with their clients on tours and keeps things running as clockwork in all aspects especially with the press. This is what I found:

Royal Communications is a branch of the Private Secretary's Office of the Royal Household of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom responsible for media relations and communicating with various organisations and authorities on matters to do with The Queen and the Royal Family. Until early 2014, Royal Communications was known as the Royal Household Press Office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Communications

(happily checks off her "learn something new today" box)

Last edited:
Anne, Andrew and Edward all have offices with multiple staff members, headed up by private secretaries. It really doesn’t sound like Harry and Meghan are doing much different, except for the title given to the staff member getting top billing. And given that they currently get more press attention than Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie combined, it would be an unfair burden to the current press office at BP for them to add substantially to their workload without bringing in a staff member dedicated to handling their press relations.

The Times was quite busy today I see. They posted that the Sussexes wanted to break completely from BP and the Queen declined it... I find both stories exaggerated and a case of them looking for clicks.

They posted that the Sussexes wanted to break completely from BP and the Queen declined it ......

Not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, I am glad the Queen declined it. The Firm is a strictly hierarchical organisation, and this couple need to keep to their place. They don't need a separate household or Press Secretary, but should be handled by the BP office, suitably resourced, from where all the non-main line royals are managed.

Not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, I am glad the Queen declined it. The Firm is a strictly hierarchical organisation, and this couple need to keep to their place. They don't need a separate household or Press Secretary, but should be handled by the BP office, suitably resourced, from where all the non-main line royals are managed.

If anyone think Harry and Meghan was about to go out on their own - separate from the Monarchy - they’re nuts. This couple already know they can’t do that and they know this is a family “Firm.”

The press has successfully made this couple appear as a rebellious thorn in the side of the royal institution. A simple and necessary preparation for the next reign is being turned into something sinister. That’s just wrong on so many levels.

I’ve always said this is all about Meghan. The press and some folks on the net have a problem with her and they’re milking this transition to death with the narrative against her.

Last edited:
I agree Dman, it is getting to the point that people are tired of seeing H & M name in print. What a shame. I just wish all that nonsense prior to their wedding never happened and none of this garbage would still be going on. It all revolves around money and the greedy media is loving every bit of it and they don't really give a flying ---- who they hurt or destroy.

I agree Dman, it is getting to the point that people are tired of seeing H & M name in print. What a shame. I just wish all that nonsense prior to their wedding never happened and none of this garbage would still be going on. It all revolves around money and the greedy media is loving every bit of it and they don't really give a flying ---- who they hurt or destroy.

I am having troubles with generalities and catch phrases, Can you be specific. What are you talking about exactly?

I agree with Loonytick that the reason H&M have their own press person is bexause they have that much attention the main BP comms department would have had to take someone, or more than one person, extra in anyway to help manange the increase workload. Makes sense then to simply have someone specific to H&M. I wonder if Samantha Cohen has played a large part in this, coming from BP herself she will know what support they can offer etc. It also means when she steps down (she was only ever temporary) H&M will have the support of BP and its experienced staff.

Meghan was a name in her own right and friends with important people before marrying Harry. There hasn't been a royal bride with a significant identity prior to marriage in recent memory. The identity is formed after the marriage and mostly by the press. The media doesn't know what to do but to force an image because Meghan is not blabbing to them regularly.

This is the kind of story it's easy to twist into whatever spin you want. Are they trying to go rogue? Is the Queen reigning them in? Are they being down graded to "minor royals"? Is this the result of a feud? Is it because the Queen is at death's door? Is it because KP can't handle four plus kids of the most media generating members of the family at once? And 100 more variations.

It's a Choose Your Own Adventure for internet gossipers and journalists and it might not become clear for a while.

This is the kind of story it's easy to twist into whatever spin you want. Are they trying to go rogue? Is the Queen reigning them in? Are they being down graded to "minor royals"? Is this the result of a feud? Is it because the Queen is at death's door? Is it because KP can't handle four plus kids of the most media generating members of the family at once? And 100 more variations.

It's a Choose Your Own Adventure for internet gossipers and journalists and it might not become clear for a while.

I think the media and some royal watchers online can’t handle supporting these two power royal couples at the same time. Now, people are dividing up into factions of teams Cambridge vs Sussex - which is totally unnecessary and I don’t have the energy nor time for that. I’m too grown to go there.

Y'know, I had a thought and thought I'd throw it out there and see what you all think. Is it possible that this move to BP and establishing their own household and office has been in the work perhaps since the time of the wedding? One thing makes me think so is that quite a bit of the staff came with words like "on loan from the Queen" and "temporary". They just filled the gap between the idea of their own office and actually implementing it. Has nothing to do with Harry or Meghan or a feud or a split but was always in the works? A total move put in place and implemented by the "Firm"?

Makes sense to me. :D

:previous:Osipi, I think this is an excellent reading of the situation. The BRF make plans and contingency plans but the implementation sometimes takes time. And they are under no obligation to inform the public or the media future plans-they make announcements when they are ready.

Y'know, I had a thought and thought I'd throw it out there and see what you all think. Is it possible that this move to BP and establishing their own household and office has been in the work perhaps since the time of the wedding? One thing makes me think so is that quite a bit of the staff came with words like "on loan from the Queen" and "temporary". They just filled the gap between the idea of their own office and actually implementing it. Has nothing to do with Harry or Meghan or a feud or a split but was always in the works? A total move put in place and implemented by the "Firm"?

Yep...and I've seen this talked about not that long ago. The BRF are planners...my bet is Charles and The Queen had an outline of what would happen after Harry married when it came to just about anything..housing, jobs etc etc.

LaRae

Quite possibly, Osipi. Though given thier track record, anybody who seems to work for H&M seems pretty temporary these days ?

Add one cup of salt. I'm with Osipi et al. The BRF are into long term planning and strategy and so far I have seen nothing that would raise an eyebrow. Harry hadn't lived and worked with his brother for any real stretch of time since William went off to Varsity and Harry finally went off to Sandhurst.

There were always the three of them at public events because even if Harry had a longstanding girlfriend she wouldn't have been with him unless they had been engaged. And then only small time. Harry must have been sick to death of being a spare wheel and opting out was not an option.

The notion that either Harry or Meghan would have wanted an office at Windsor that they had to run themselves would have been their biggest nightmare. If the joint office at KP taught them anything it would be get experts and let them do their job.

Last edited:
A point of clarification re: public attention affecting staffing choices. In my earlier post I didn’t mean that BRF would say “oh, this prince is more popular, and popular folks get more support.” Rather, I’m saying that more public attention creates far more calls from the press that need to be fielded, more fires to put out, more potential “minefields” to identify and avoid, etc. It’s a lot of work, and it wouldn’t be fair to the BP staff to throw it on them and say, “here, you add all of this to what you were already doing with no extra help from anyone who, you know, specializes in this aspect of press relations.”

Perfectly understandable. The way I understood the consolidation was that they each had their office but that press releases had to be vetted by the BP media department. It makes perfect sense and each family is operating in concert with the others and a united face is presented to the world. It doesn't matter if they are all actually chasing each other with frypans or mallets, all the arms of the BRF make like a duck, smoothly gliding across the pond and beneath the waters, those little feet are going like the clappers. It is the epitome of "Optics".

It does make sense, I agree!
Sadly, this probably has been in the works in a formal, slow-moving way - like the Panama canal.

If it is so, i do feel sad that their Royal process has left a media vacuum which has been filled with such horrible stories, speculation and sheer fantasies.

It seems to me that guiding the general public sense of the shifting situation with a bit more transparency and disclosure would be a wiser approach.
Prince William seems to have a well developed sense of how he can can guide media in a better way. He generally allows the media controlled stories and access in return for more privacy - which leaves us, the public, with a natural respect for his wish for safe and healthy boundaries.

A PR person capable of masterminding such an approach, and Sara Lathem seems to have this capacity in abundance, would also have been able to get out in front of and prevent some of the Markle family media stories, or at least reduce the volume and reverberations from those Markle stories.

SO glad to see this manifestation of background planning emerge from the Firm.

... remembering Vanity Fair, Fall 2017 with admiration to whoever planned and implemented Meghan's interview. That was a good idea - throw a cookie to satiate a demand, but on your own terms. I feel hope Harry and Meghan are headed towards better times in terms of treatment by the media.

I hope that Sarah Latham will be able to stem the flow of negativism against Meghan as well. However, the Vanity Fair feature did not harness a lot of glowing reviews, unfortunately. Social media and several media commentators were not happy.

Reactions ranged from accusations that Meghan was all about self glorification to traditionalists who bleated that would-be Royal fiancees should keep their mouths shut at all times, regardless of their profession. From the beginning it has appeared to be that Meghan has been damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

This is from Janet Street-Porter, commentator on TV show Loose Women.
https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...rince-Harry-interview-Vanity-Fair-Loose-Women

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom