William and Harry's Relationships with the Spencers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lashinka2002

Serene Highness
City
Toronto
Country
Canada
Does anyone have pics of Prince William & Earl Spencer that we can compare?
I saw a pic in Hello and the similarities were astounding - even the same down to posture. Please post if you have. Thanks!

spencer-dop1a.jpg

About this one type of comparation you were speaking?

Attachments

• wills y el tio.JPG
    wills y el tio.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 590
  • wills y el tio1.JPG
    wills y el tio1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 575
  • wills y el tio2.JPG
    wills y el tio2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 657
I don't see all that much of a resemblance. Earl Spencer is beginning to show his relationship to Winston Churchill, though!

corazon said:
About this one type of comparation you were speaking?

Yes, thank you Corazon.
I see some similarities but not as many as I thought I would. I'm guessing that Earl probably looked much more like William when he was younger. Maybe someone has pics.

Elspeth said:
I don't see all that much of a resemblance. Earl Spencer is beginning to show his relationship to Winston Churchill, though!
I agree.

They do have 'some' resemblances, but I tend to think William is inheriting more and more of his father's manerisms these days. I tend to think Charles tends to sometimes look awkward (eg, he continuously has his hand in his pocket etc) and I've noticed William doing the same.

A Spencer on the Throne of England

Many years ago, I read an historic novel about some British Prince. I have hardly no recollection of this book but I remember it would include a Spencer. At the end of the book, a note by the author would specify that because of some treacherous (or so) action this Spencer character did, it was made certain that a Spencer would never sit on the throne of England.
The author would add that with William, that wow would be broken.
I really don't remember any further details so if anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about, please post information.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idriel said:
Many years ago, I read an historic novel about some British Prince. I have hardly no recollection of this book but I remember it would include a Spencer. At the end of the book, a note by the author would specify that because of some treacherous (or so) action this Spencer character did, it was made certain that a Spencer would never sit on the throne of England.
I really don't remember any further details so if anyone have any idea of what I'm talking about, please post information.
Thanks.
1) Erm... James II wasn't fond of the Earl of Sunderland... But I think that was an artistic licence on part of the author.
2) Prince William of Wales is not a Spencer. His family name is different. :)

Idriel said:
Thanks.

I wonder if that included the previous Lady Diana Spencer.

The Act of Settlement didn't exclude the Spencers, that's for sure.

William is a Windsor or a Mountbatten Windsor whichever name they're using now.

Mapple said:

William is a Spencer. It may not be part of his name but he still is a Spencer. In some parts of the world he would use the Spencer as his second last name. His father's would be first followed by the his mother's.

Idriel said:
Thanks.

You may be referring to Frederick, Prince of Wales, son of George II and Caroline of Ansbach. There was a hate/hate relationship between Frederick and his parents and he wanted desperately to not have to rely on them for money and set up his own rival court.

In walks Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough who had a beautiful granddaughter in the first Lady Diana Spencer. The Duchess of Marlborough detested the royal family and saw her way to undermine it and yet get her granddaughter a crown if she offered Frederick a big enough dowry to marry Lady Diana. Frederick accepted but was found out by Prime Minister Walpole and stopped just in time.

Frederick went on to marry Augusta of Hesse-Cassel and is the father of King George III. Frederick died young, before his father. Lady Diana Spencer married Lord Russell and then became the Duchess of Rutland. She died young of a fatal illness.

The second Lady Diana Spencer married Charles, Prince of Wales. Ironic isn't it?

It certainly is. There was quite a lot of talk of that first Lady Diana during the time of Charles and Diana's courtship and engagement.

Ennyllorac said:
William is a Spencer. It may not be part of his name but he still is a Spencer. In some parts of the world he would use the Spencer as his second last name. His father's would be first followed by the his mother's.
Nevertheless, he lives in another part of the world. He is not a Spencer unless King William V is going to amend the family name of the British royal family. :)

tiaraprin said:
Yes William is a Windsor, but he has Spencer blood from his mother. He is in the Spencer family geneology as well as the Windsor geneology. Enough said.
A half of the British aristocracy is in the Spencer family genealogy, I presume.

Mapple said:
What I meant (and what the author ment too), is that William has Spencer blood, his mother is a Spencer. I did not refered to his familly name.
Thank you all for your answers :) .
Tiarapin, your proposition is the best so far but I'm not quite convinced yet...
Do you know if after the marriage was failed, the King made a public (or at least known) wish that a Spencer should never access the Throne? That's what the author clearly stated in the infamous book. Of course it was not passed as a law Mapple :) . It was just a wish (but isn't a royal wish a bit of a law? Hum...).
I'm sorry I don't give much details but that was a long time ago.

Idriel said:
Tiarapin, your proposition is the best so far but I'm not quite convinced yet...
Do you know if after the marriage was failed, the King made a public (or at least known) wish that a Spencer should never access the Throne? That's what the author clearly stated in the infamous book.

You have been reading an historical novel. While the basic facts are there, the author can take dramatic license and add his/her flavor to things to make the novel more interesting than just the basic facts Idriel.

As far as I know, King George II's reaction stayed mainly among his family and courtiers. He was not "amused" by what Frederick tried to do and was angry at the Duchess of Marlborough. At that time, commoners did not marry the Prince of Wales. Perhaps he said a Spencer could not marry into the family simply because they were commoners.

Prince William and Prince Harry is part of Spencer Family since both was born in 1982 and 1984.

but i do part of Spence Family since i was grown-up also because of my mom's family side also because my mom's family come from Scotland.

Sara Boyce

tiaraprin said:

As far as I know, King George II's reaction stayed mainly among his family and courtiers. He was not "amused" by what Frederick tried to do and was angry at the Duchess of Marlborough. At that time, commoners did not marry the Prince of Wales. Perhaps he said a Spencer could not marry into the family simply because they were commoners.
All in all there was no love lost between King George II and the Prince of Wales. Frederick married a German Princess, but the King didn't like her and banished them from the Court.

Mapple said:
All in all there was no love lost between King George II and the Prince of Wales. Frederick married a German Princess, but the King didn't like her and banished them from the Court.

He never hated Augusta of Saxe-Gotha. He hated his son and what he did to make sure they were not present at the birth of his first child. Augusta went into labor early at 8 months and Frederick put her in a coach to have the baby where his parents were not present. (King George II and Queen Caroline doubted that Frederick was able to have a child and wanted to be there to verify the birth--they thought of the warming pan scheme of the past). Augusta got to the new location just in time to give birth to a daughter named Augusta (sister of George III). This is why Frederick was banned from court and of course Augusta had to follow him.

However, with the birth of a tiny, weakling daughter, Queen Caroline said that had to be her son's child.

Last edited:
tiaraprin said:
He never hated Augusta of Hesse-Cassel. He hated his son and what he did to make sure they were not present at the birth of his first child. Augusta went into labor early at 8 months and Frederick put her in a coach to have the baby where his parents were not present. (King George II and Queen Caroline doubted that Frederick was able to have a child and wanted to be there to verify the birth--they thought of the warming pan scheme of the past). Augusta got to the new location just in time to give birth to a daughter named Augusta (sister of George III). This is why Frederick was banned from court and of course Augusta had to follow him.

However, with the birth of a tiny, weakling daughter, Queen Caroline said that had to be her son's child.
To be nitpicky, Frederick's wife was Augusta of Saxe-Gotha. George II didn't hate her--but he wouldn't like whoever his son could've chosen.

Mapple said:
To be nitpicky, Frederick's wife was Augusta of Saxe-Gotha. George II didn't hate her--but he wouldn't like whoever his son could've chosen.

Thanks for correcting which Augusta it was, but I do believe George II picked her for Frederick?

I went back to correct Augusta's name.

Last edited:
I wonder, do you all think that the Spencer family is disgraced with all the stuff that happened to Diana? Or do you think that they still enjoy a high social standing and privilege?

Reina said:
I wonder, do you all think that the Spencer family is disgraced with all the stuff that happened to Diana? Or do you think that they still enjoy a high social standing and privilege?

I don't think Earl Spencer stands well with the British public and world at large. He has disgraced himself and his family by the selling of his sister's memory and legacy.

As for Lady Sarah, and Lady Jane, I cannot venture an opinion.

tiaraprin said:
Thanks for correcting which Augusta it was, but I do believe George II picked her for Frederick?

I went back to correct Augusta's name.
That's quite likely--but knowing about the father-son relations it is easy to suppose that the King was disappointed by his own pick when Augusta sided with Frederick.

Mapple said:
That's quite likely--but knowing about the father-son relations it is easy to suppose that the King was disappointed by his own pick when Augusta sided with Frederick.

Augusta did grow to love her husband and followed his wishes but she was quieter than Frederick was. There was an all out war between George II and his heir, but then again that is a Hanoverian trait that has lingered on!! Some say Elizabeth and Charles have continued the tradition even though it is The House of Windsor and not Hanover! Look at George V and Edward VIII?? Queen Victoria and Edward VII??

Alexander Fellowes (their 1st cousin)

Alex is studying classics at Oxford now. on a search for something entirely unrelated to this, I found recent news about him! the date is a 2005 date and Alex must be 22,23?

http://www.akme.btinternet.co.uk/bulling1.html

I'll bet his parents were just thrilled about that piece of publicity.

Royal Fan said:
I Had never heard of him :)

his mum is Lady Jane Fellowes, who you probably have heard of as Diana's elder sis. maybe you also heard of Laura Fellowes, Alexander's elder sis, because she used to be in all the lists of the Wills-and-Harry set. I think Laura was on the 1999 "love boat" cruise. I don't know if she still hangs out with William and Harry, though. She did attend Edinburth University, I think, and her time there overlapped with Will's time at St. Andrew's. So maybe they sometimes hung out, being pretty much in the same city. even though St. Andrew's is an independent town, I think it is so near to Edinburgh that it must be like saying you live in Fulham instead of London, or Burbank instead of LA, or Brooklyn instead of Manhattan.

are there any photos of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom