William and Harry's Relationships with the Spencers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William read at her funeral so there must have been some meaningful contact.

Not necessarily, sometimes we all do things just because it is expected of us.

Like posted earlier, there were periods of time when diana didn't speak to her mum, which would limit William and Harry's contact with her.

Moreover, Diana passed away young and their contact with their maternal relatives became lesser. Though you see pics of Lady Jane and Lady Sarah with the boys, they are very few.

The likelihood o them being in frequent contact with them is unlikely. Though of course as family in sure they never lost complete contact.

The reading could just be a duty expected out of him.

The Spencer Tiara Diana wore was borrowed for the wedding. It is more likely that Kate will be given the Lover's Knot Tiara (aka Queen Mary Tiara) when and if she needs one for a state occasion. Diana's ring and earrings have obviously already been given to her as rightly they should as she will be Princess of Wales. I'm also pretty sure that the Cartier Tiara she wore for the wedding will be one of her official Tiaras.

I think William and Harry always had little contact with the Spencer family. William and Harry always spent most of the time with the royal family, even when Princess Diana was still alive. William and Kate already presented to George Spencer Family?

Last edited:
I think William and Harry always had little contact with the Spencer family. William and Harry always spent most of the time with the royal family, even when Princess Diana was still alive. William and Kate already presented to George Spencer Family?

I don't think we actually know how close William and Harry are with the Spencer side of the family. I believe some of their cousins grew up in South Africa and most likely rarely saw each other. As for the other family members, they could be getting together once a month for all we know. This would be considered their own private time and not something made available to the press and the public.

We have to remember that our perception of closeness is usually defined by what is reported.

I don't think we actually know how close William and Harry are with the Spencer side of the family. I believe some of their cousins grew up in South Africa and most likely rarely saw each other. As for the other family members, they could be getting together once a month for all we know. This would be considered their own private time and not something made available to the press and the public.

We have to remember that our perception of closeness is usually defined by what is reported.

Truth. We only know what comes out in the press, and not always what comes out is true.

I wonder if George was already submitted to the Spencer family.

Last edited:
Why should they be that close apart from the normal fairly limited contact.

Earl Spencer, his wife and young children are now based in the US

The girls are in their early twenties and single - and I assume living that life! (good for them) - where they are based I dont know but I think it's the US. If it was the UK, they would be all over the DM.

His sisters live in the country, are grandparents now (or close to it) and would naturally be distant.

I think it's birthday cards, letters/notes with updates (ie just had grandchild) and an annual visit.

Why would it be more?

Probably the next time we see William and Harry at a Spencer event, it will be the funeral of Anne Wake-Walker, unless another Spencer cousin gets married.

Probably the next time we see William and Harry at a Spencer event, it will be the funeral of Anne Wake-Walker, unless another Spencer cousin gets married.

Their cousin, George McCorquodale will be getting married this year. I think the Cambridge's and Prince Harry see their family privately and once in a blue moon. Everyone is pretty busy, so when weddings and other family events occur, it's a very special time to get together and catch up.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that's true of all members of the extended royal family as well. They all get together only once in a while.

I dont think William and Harry have too much contact with their Uncle Charles. Harry probably catches up with his older daughters sometimes. I believe he used to go clubbing with Kitty Spencer.

When George McCorquodale was very much younger I used to think he and Harry resembled each other. Harry, if not William, will probably turn up to his wedding.

Some months ago I was looking for information on the First World War and came across the engagement announcement of Cynthia Hamilton to Albert Spencer in the Illustrated London News. It describes the 5th Earl Spencer as a Roman Catholic Viceroy.

I am not familiar with British or Irish politics, especially from 1919, does that mean he was a Roman Catholic or just held the position?

Thanks

Some months ago I was looking for information on the First World War and came across the engagement announcement of Cynthia Hamilton to Albert Spencer in the Illustrated London News. It describes the 5th Earl Spencer as a Roman Catholic Viceroy.

I am not familiar with British or Irish politics, especially from 1919, does that mean he was a Roman Catholic or just held the position?

Thanks

The position of Viceroy is not bestowed by the church. It's a political position. Is that what you meant?

My question was if the 5th Earl Spencer was Catholic or if the article referred to him as a Catholic Viceroy because he supported Ireland's self rule.

Cynthia Hamiltion's great grandfather is referred to as an Ulster Ulsterian.

In neither his obituary in The Times of August 1910, or his biographical piece in the Dictionary of National Biography is there any mention of the 5th Earl being a Roman Catholic. Although he was a keen supporter of Gladstone's policies in Ireland, I think there would have been a mention of his Roman Catholicism at the time, as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom