William and Harry's Relationships with the Spencers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I think in former times Harry's mother would have seen to it that he could keep Chelsy as his mistress but married one of his cousins in order to strengthen the bond between the Spencers and the Royal Family. It's good to see that times have changed...

Why would the Spencer-Windsor ties need strengthening through the second son when the future king is already half Spencer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would the Spencer-Windsor ties need strengthening through the second son when the future king is already half Spencer?

I think what Jo of Palentine is saying: in former times (earlier centuries) a royal just might wed a cousin.:)

I think what Jo of Palentine is saying: in former times (earlier centuries) a royal just might wed a cousin.:)
Even in the 20th century, too. Lord Mountbatten encouraged a marriage between his granddaughter Lady Amanda Knatchbull and Prince Charles (they were 2nd cousins) to strength his family's connections to the British royal family. And according to one or a few biographies of Diana (the Tina Brown one, I think), the Spencers have always tried to strength their ties to the royals. Remember the earlier Lady Diana Spencer (1710-1735, later Duchess of Bedford) was considered for Frederick, Prince of Wales (father of George III).

Well marring in the family is not out of sorts for the royals. Even Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip are some how family right.... although, I know it is not the same as your mother's brothers child ....it is still blood ...right??

earl spencer

Does Willam and Harry have a bad relationship with Earl Spencer and his sisters? It seem to me the Spencers were put on the back burner at the wedding!!!!!!!! None of the media hardley even spoke of them even being at the wedding, are showing any pictures are videos of Dianas sisters !Whats going on with them?

It seems to me that they have a pretty good relationship with Spencers and they have been visible in William's life. Diana's siblings, their spouses, and even a paternal aunt had front-row seats in the section right next to the Middletons. We got a glimpse of William and Harry speaking to the Spencer relatives when they arrived at the abbey. Lady Kitty, Lady Eliza and Lady Amelia Spencer were seen leaving the evening reception at Buckingham Palace. And William's aunt, Lady Sarah McCorquondale, has joined William on public engagements and was seated next to Kate Middleton at the ceremony where William was awarded his wings.

William and Harry were talking to the Spencer before the wedding. He kissed either Sarah or Jane hello in the church.

As for Chelsea, I think the Spencer girls are far more attractive. Chelsea looks good some times but then other times she looks like the only thing missing is her big fat Gypsy wedding dress. She has that Gypsy bleached blonde, over tanned, pink lipstick look down pat.

I don't think either William or Harry are on the best of terms with the Earl or his children, perhaps because none of them spend much time in the UK.
I don't think speaking to them at the Royal Wedding means much, because it would be strange if they didn't! (And no doubt be written up in the papers as some sort of feud).

It's telling that the princes didn't go to the Earl's wedding last July.

They might be a bit closer to Sarah's and Jane's children though.

Last edited:
I don't think either William or Harry are on the best of terms with the Earl or his children, perhaps because none of them spend much time in the UK.
I don't think speaking to them at the Royal Wedding means much, because it would be strange if they didn't! (And no doubt be written up in the papers as some sort of feud).

It's telling that the princes didn't go to the Earl's wedding last July.

They might be a bit closer to Sarah's and Jane's children though.

William, Catherine and Harry did attend their cousin Emily McCorquodale's wedding last week. But, I agree, they may not be close to the Earl and his children'.

re: earl spencer

I just think that the family may be not close or troubled. All the older gen seemed to have a protective shield around themselves. When a family is divided and people are just trying to survive, it is difficult for them to provide support to someone else. There was no way Spencer could ever be a vanguard for his sister.

There's also extensive dissection into Diana's background, family history, warts and tics, to see what made them who they are. People want to make sense of her phenomena, but when your family history gets dug out and rearranged in order, well, I wonder if anyone can rebuild a sense of self out of that. Good luck to them.

Last edited:
About time. The whole thing was utterly tacky imo. Diana deserves some peace.

That cant be right...they are handing over the spencer tiara to W and H?

Well I don't think that's going to happen...I'm sure there are other tiaras that are being talked about.

Technically, unless I'm confused, the Spencer tiara would belong to Earl Spencer.

LaRae

I am glad that Diana's wedding dress is finally being returned to her sons.

Was that one previously owned by the Spencers or was it one that was made for Diana during her marriage to the POW?

LaRae

I seem to remember (correctly I hope) the main Spencer tiara was on loan to Diana during her marriage..and was returned to her brother after her divorce (or death, I can't remember for sure). Earl Spencer's wife (wives) have since worn that tiara.

I think I also remember reading there were other 'lesser' tiaras owned by the family but it could be they (the ones in question) were tiaras given to Diana as gifts etc....not sure on that.

LaRae

Both are family heirlooms of the Spencers that were added to the exhibition by the earl. While the Spencer tiara was worn by Diana on her wedding and during her first years of marriage, the second one was according to information on the net (More British Royal Tiaras - The Tudors Wiki) is called the Honeysuckle Tiara and was worn for the last time by Diana's grandmother for the coronation of the queen.

Both tiaras surely stay behind when Diana's belongings are returned to her sons.

So I wonder which two will be given to the boys?

LaRae

She never wore the other two tiaras - so chances are none of the tiaras will be given to W & H.

I think there are a few facts in the article that are wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and we shouldn't take what is written in a newspaper as the holy grail.

Probably the editors of the Telegraph just realised or Earl Spencer said that according to Diana's will her belongings that he looked after for the princes after her death have to be given to the princes now that Harry is reaching his 30. birthday. Plus that these belongings toured the world as part of the Diana exhibit. Thus the two tiaras came on the list because they are part of the exhibition.

But - these tiaras were items Earl Spencer added to the exhibition, thus they are not part of the belongings which will be given back to the princes.

Rightfully so these things will be returned to William & Harry.

I think the tiara's are Spencer family heirlooms. Diana just borrowed the Spencer Tiara for her wedding and other State events and was returned to the family after her passing. Just like the jewels The Queen lent to Diana, she was still due to use the jewels when they were needed. I don't think Countess Spencer or Diana's sisters are going to use the tiara's though. If they want to keep the jewels within the family, then no, I don't think the heirlooms will be going over to William & Harry.

I think he is motivated by the wish to garner positives from the public by saying "I'm carrying out Diana's wishes", and by getting as many punters in before it closes.

My personal view is that is has tried to make as much money as possible before he had to give Diana's possessions to her sons when they turned 30. And the fact that he had been asked to hold them in trust until that time makes it worse.

I think this man is a slimball, with the capacity to crawl under doors.

I think he is motivated by the wish to garner positives from the public by saying "I'm carrying out Diana's wishes", and by getting as many punters in before it closes.

My personal view is that is has tried to make as much money as possible before he had to give Diana's possessions to her sons when they turned 30. And the fact that he had been asked to hold them in trust until that time makes it worse.

I think this man is a slimball, with the capacity to crawl under doors.
I agree. The Spencer tiara was returned to the Earl long before Diana died at his request. That was about the same time as he refused to give her a residence on the Althrop estate. Any other tiaras may be family heirlooms but were not worn by Diana during her marriage, even though her brother may have included them in his touring sideshow. I rather doubt he had too many of her personal jewels in his care and I cannot see him giving up any of his family heirlooms given the number of daughters he has and the number of future Countesses he may marry.

yes.. the Spencer Tiara is owned by the Earl Spencer.. it was never Diana's in the first place.. it was just loaned to her by her father, the 8th Earl and later by her brother, the 9th Earl.. so therefore, the Spencer Tiara will not be handed down to W and H..

from what i see, the Spencer Tiara is very unlikely to be worn by the current Countess Spencer.. if ever there will be a state occasion needing peers to wear full regalia, i'm seeing the countess to more than like wear the Honeysuckle Tiara.. the Spencer Tiara might resurface one day on the wedding day of Earl Spencer's daughters.. the only way for any other girl to wear the Spencer Tiara is if they would be one day marry Louis, Viscount Althorp..

Prince William and Prince Harry relationship with their Maternal Grandmother

I hope this is the right place to ask this as I was not quite sure where to post this question.

But I watching a Documentary on YouTube about Prince William and I got to wondering what was William and Harry Relationship like with their Maternal Grandmother Frances Shand Kydd? How close were they too her? Did they bond much with her? Did they really get to know her much?

We always about their relationship with their Paternal Grandmother in Interviews (Obviously as she the More Famous one!) And how close they are too her. They have said The Queen is a doting Grandmother

But we don't hear or read much about their relationship with Their Maternal Grandmother or At least from What I heard or read or We almost never hear them talk about her. Again this is from What I have read or seen.

Everybody usually is closer to one Grandparent then the other (I am closer to my Maternal Grandparent). William and Harry were definitely closer to the Queen from what it look like then Shand Kydd.

Last edited:
Well Frances lived on a island in Scotland and there were periods when Diana was not talking to her mother so I would guess William and Harry had somewhat limited access to their maternal grandmother. No doubt they knew her and loved her as a grandmother but I would question how close they could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom