Smear Campaign? And if so, by whom? (Re: William and Kate)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know this girl was the darling of the British media until the agreement to stop publishing paparazzi pics by some of the press.

Was that after the PCC complaint that Kate filed last year? I could see that ticking off some of the tabloid media.

I am afraid that I agree more with Amandargt. If he is not going to marry her he is just using her and that is not fair. Maybe she is having a really good time with all the fuss she is having made of her as his girlfriend "perhaps" future queen, but if she is discarded for a later or more suitable model it will be devastating for her and he will just get on with his life. I really think that it was a true breaking up, but after that we saw Kate everywhere the prince went, the same clubs the same parties. The excuse given by some papers was that they had the same friends etc etc. Maybe but it really gave me the feeling she was almost stalking him. He, of course is fond of her and comfortable with her so he just gave in to his feelings against, perhaps his better judgement. It was said at the time that his father had told him that if he didn´t intend to marry the young lady it would be better to break up for her sake - and for me the telling part is this - he did break up with her and the "famous friends that always turn up at these occasions" said that she blamed Prince Charles for the breakup. This may all be gossip and untrue but it convinced me at the time.

If these two belonged to a different class , no one would discuss their relationship or rush them into marriage. 26 year olds should not be rushing to any long term decisions much less marriage. In his case it is even more important that they both know this would be for life.
If they were having their relationship away from the spotlight no one would or could discuss or offer opinions. However since everything is played centerstage, it seems like this is a long protracted relationship and he is wasting her time. Perhaps he is sincere abut his feelings for now but not secure enough to make a life long commitment. I believe Prince Charles or the Queen have asked William to break it off if he was not sure but he was 25 at the time and this is his first love.....I still believe that break up was for real, but has anyone ever tried to convince a 25 year old of something?
Once upon a time there was a 6 month cooling off period for young lovers. That was the perfect time for both to reflect if that life was for them or not.

Here is the article I was talking about - stupid but funny. :whistling::D
A peek at the diary of ... Kate Middleton | Life and style | The Guardian
What is the world coming to - now even the Guardian has to rely on the views of adolescents and themes started by the Mail! :eek::ROFLMAO:
This was funny - "No one ever lay on their deathbed and wished they'd spent less time watching Diagnosis Murder", I have no idea what Diagnosis Murder is but, nobody lay on their deathbed and thought, I had a wonderful life, working all the hours that god sent, at the beck and call of an employer!:ROFLMAO::whistling::ROFLMAO:

That diary was very funny, (probably not to Miss Middleton though). I think after she complained about being photographed the media "love affair" with her definitely cooled off. I agree that it would be annoying to have all that attention but her complaint just reeked of "prima donna" and perhaps wasn´t the wisest move, but then she is young and unused to the royal life style but as Odette said "who has tried to convince a young person to do anything......?" I have, with four offspring, so I know what a useless activity it is.

Diagnosis Murder was a murder mystery series that starred Dick Van Dyke as an sleuthing physician. It was a drama with some light-hearted moments.:)

I have no idea what Diagnosis Murder is but, nobody lay on their deathbed and thought, I had a wonderful life, working all the hours that god sent, at the beck and call of an employer!:ROFLMAO::whistling::ROFLMAO:

This is why I specified in my post that resentment was being focused against privileged youngsters and those who inherited their wealth. People seem to have more time for the Beckhams because they're considered to have earned their millions (whether "earn" is the right word for some of these overpaid celebrities is another matter, but the point is that their money is a result of their success, not a matter of trust funds and legacies), whereas the real resentment is directed toward the "born with a silver spoon in their mouth" demographic.
Is that still the case though? Many of today's "stars" are the offspring of wealthy or well-connected parents. For example people like, Peaches Geldof, Elizabeth Jagger, Jaime Winstone and Lily Allen.
Elspeth said:
The Queen has generally tended to avoid these criticisms by being frugal in small things like the well-known "dog leads cost money" admonition to Charles when he was a kid and the stories of her going around Buckingham Palace turning off lights. But Margaret always caught flak for her Caribbean holidays (most people would be envious of a Caribbean holiday where they wouldn't be envious of several weeks' worth of tramping through fields in the rain at Balmoral, despite the latter being a far more expensive proposition, because they themselves would love to have the time and money for luxurious Caribbean holidays but wouldn't find the Balmoral experience all that appealing).
If people are going to use the jealousy/envy argument,which I loathe, then surely there are plenty of people in the public eye who would be more likely to be subject to criticism? After all, Kate's wealth compared to many others is pretty minimal.

Elspeth said:
At the moment, William and Harry are falling much more into the Margaret category; even though Prince Charles and Princess Anne frequented night clubs when they were young, it wasn't reported as much; the celebrity culture hadn't taken off by then, and the royals were still somewhat off limits. Now things have changed in both the media and society at large, the royals will have to come to terms with it somehow.
I completely agree with you here. The times have changed and quite dramatically so the royals will have to adapt some major changes imo if the are to keep up.

Last edited:
If these two belonged to a different class , no one would discuss their relationship or rush them into marriage. 26 year olds should not be rushing to any long term decisions much less marriage. In his case it is even more important that they both know this would be for life.
If they were having their relationship away from the spotlight no one would or could discuss or offer opinions. However since everything is played centerstage, it seems like this is a long protracted relationship and he is wasting her time. Perhaps he is sincere abut his feelings for now but not secure enough to make a life long commitment. I believe Prince Charles or the Queen have asked William to break it off if he was not sure but he was 25 at the time and this is his first love.....I still believe that break up was for real, but has anyone ever tried to convince a 25 year old of something?
Once upon a time there was a 6 month cooling off period for young lovers. That was the perfect time for both to reflect if that life was for them or not.

This media speculation in my opionion is just to sell newspapers and Prince William is the "Media Cash Cow". The above statements by Odette on their relationship is very correct.

I just want to add that Prince William said at the very being of the exposed relationship with Ms Middleton that he would notmarry sooner than 30-31 years old. I think that answers this next move he is doing in service to his country and his relationship. Has anyone thought of this. Could doing royal duties now make him more newsworthy than his father? Maybe that is another reason for this move. Also, who says that the couple won't married and try to stay out of the spotlight this way? I know from reading, that the Queen Elizabeth and the Duke wished for more time for the Queen to just be a Princess.

I was a designer of catalogs. If Ms Middleton is the only staff artist at "Party Pieces" she will have to be on the ball, very organized, accurate and deadline orientated. Wonderful qualities for a future Princess and Queen.:flowers:

I'm getting a green screen, which isn't unusual for me with older BBC videos. Thanks for trying, anyway.:flowers:
As I recall Prince William and Kate complained jointly with the backing of Clarence House and I am trying to open a link to the BBC video:bang: I hope this works
BBC News Player

I'm getting a green screen, which isn't unusual for me with older BBC videos. Thanks for trying, anyway.:flowers:
Dammit it opened fine for me when I clicked on the link even though my computer has lung cancer anyone else having probs???
I will try to delete and start again.
:eek:

:ROFLMAO:oh thank you I thought my diseased computer was showing me what I wanted to see as a last mission before it died.:ROFLMAO:

I think that I can't get it here "across the Pond." If anyone in the States can get it, then I'll feel terribly left out.:lol:

:ROFLMAO:oh thank you I thought my diseased computer was showing me what I wanted to see as a last mission before it died.:ROFLMAO:

Mermaid, I'm in the US, and it's not working for me, either.

The website requires an add-on device that you have to allow. If your computer is set to medium to high security, you have to click on the authorize at the top of the tool bar. The video wouldn't run without the active control authorization.

The website requires an add-on device that you have to allow. If your computer is set to medium to high security, you have to click on the authorize at the top of the tool bar. The video wouldn't run without the active control authorization.
Thank you for the help I personally know very little about computers but for fellow royal watchers the BBC site does have some great archive footage of different occasions.:flowers:

Oh, I see. Thank you for the tip. I'll have to try that.:flowers:

That's what's so strange. I can get old film about George V and George VI, but I've had trouble getting material from a few days ago.:lol: Anyway, I'll try what Incas suggested.

Thank you for the help I personally know very little about computers but for fellow royal watchers the BBC site does have some great archive footage of different occasions.:flowers:

This was funny - "No one ever lay on their deathbed and wished they'd spent less time watching Diagnosis Murder", I have no idea what Diagnosis Murder is but, nobody lay on their deathbed and thought, I had a wonderful life, working all the hours that god sent, at the beck and call of an employer!:ROFLMAO::whistling::ROFLMAO:
Diagnosis Murder, Skydragon... A clip for you!! Just copy & paste the link below into your browser! Enjoy!:flowers:
"diagnosis murder" - Google Video

Sky, about deathbed thoughts.... Wasn´t Edward VII´s last words supposed to be to ask who had won a horse race?

Sky, about deathbed thoughts.... Wasn´t Edward VII´s last words supposed to be to ask who had won a horse race?
Mine will probably be 'Typical, just when ............' :ROFLMAO::whistling:

My great-grandmother at the ripe old age of 90 said that if her father(a doctor) had been alive he could have saved her.....
He was good but not that good.

And George V's last words have devolved from the stately, "How is the Empire" to "Bugger Bognor." Depends on who's telling the story, I guess.:lol:

No doubt "How is the Empire" sounds much much better.
I remember how we, horrible little schoolgirls, used to giggle at "Kiss me Hardy"....

Goodness, this thread has taken a macabre turn. :skull: :eek:

I promise to stop Elspeth..... Actually famous last words can be hilarious, not for the person uttering them of course.
Sorry, nice happy posts from now on.

Well to bring the subject back to the media, I do think the papers are acting rather arrogantly.

I suspect that they do want to flex their muscles and show the Royal Family that 'we own you, we can make you or break you'

The problem is that for me, a Royal Family that can be so easily controlled by the media is not a family that I would respect.

Seems to me, there is an effort by the BRF to distance itself from the media in the recent years. Especially in the case of William and Kate, William is very good at evading personal questions and Kate doesn't talk at all. Her recently publicized role on Party Pieces website is as much "communication" as she's ever given.

I also have increasingly the impression that this is all part of a "power game" between the press and the young royals (especially William). Honestly the press doesn't really care for the rest but William and Kate really sell. Information about them is worth thousands of Pounds but they dare not to deliver. No "inside leaks", hardly any pictures together mostly well on a distance with no PDA, no engagment and wedding that could be marketed all in all hardly anthing that really sells - hence the press is showing its ugly side. Pretty much like blackmail. We'll trash you until you provide us with some gossip to sell papers.
That's why I am also not so sure anymore whether the post on the Party Pieces site was really such a good idea. In a way Kate has given in. The press "demanded" her to declare what it is she does 24/7 by calling her names etc and she gave in and made that "public announcement" about her employment at Party Pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom