Smear Campaign? And if so, by whom? (Re: William and Kate)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DoM You could not articulate my thoughts more concisely.....:flowers:I have been feeling this way since day one, (Actually for the last few years) but have been "beaten" over the head for expecting the royals, semi and demi royals to behave a bit better than the rest. I feel some expect them to do as they please and still be respected because the accident of their birth allows them to belong to a segment of the society "above" the masses.
By association (IMO) their long term girlfriends and boyfriends are tossed in the mix whether they like it or not.

Odette, neither DoM nor I said that we think this way, we both just described the mechanism which might be the reason why people feel that way. It's very interesting to hear that you actually feel that way - thank you for your contribution! :flowers:

But it's interesting that people seem to feel that way even after a switch from monarchy to an elected head of state. I recall that the scandal when it turned out that the Head of State of the republic of Austria, Bundespräsident Kurt Waldheim, former UN-general secretary turned out to have had a Nazi-past as a killer was enormous in its importance worldwide but he lost next to no support in Austria. People there said that it was in the past and that the past was over. But when Archduke Karl, eldest son of Otto von Habsburg and a member of European parliament for Austria back then ebcame involved in a political scandal, he lost the support of first his party and then of his voters and thus his mandate at the EU parliament. And this was quite harmless compared to Waldheim ot to the things other Austrian politicians had come away with. So why did the people punish Karl? My explanation is that their expectations are much higher because Karl is today the official Head of the House of Habsburg-Lothringen and that makes the disappointment in him much more pronounced. IMHO, of course.

Bad luck especially for Kate as she's not royal but is already seen as royal by society.

Catherine Middleton already profits in the eyes of the public from her relationship to the Royals - she gets invitations and shares in the Royal's position in society. Not yet any "official" acknowledgement but certainly she shares part of William's life already which has elevated her to a higher position in society through her contact with Royality and thus she is measured by the different standards used for Royals. We can discuss if this is fair but I think it's at least a fact.

Odette, neither DoM nor I said that we think this way, we both just described the mechanism which might be the reason why people feel that way. It's very interesting to hear that you actually feel that way - thank you for your contribution! :flowers:

But it's interesting that people seem to feel that way even after a switch from monarchy to an elected head of state. I recall that the scandal when it turned out that the Head of State of the republic of Austria, Bundespräsident Kurt Waldheim, former UN-general secretary turned out to have had a Nazi-past as a killer was enormous in its importance worldwide but he lost next to no support in Austria. People there said that it was in the past and that the past was over. But when Archduke Karl, eldest son of Otto von Habsburg and a member of European parliament for Austria back then ebcame involved in a political scandal, he lost the support of first his party and then of his voters and thus his mandate at the EU parliament. And this was quite harmless compared to Waldheim ot to the things other Austrian politicians had come away with. So why did the people punish Karl? My explanation is that their expectations are much higher because Karl is today the official Head of the House of Habsburg-Lothringen and that makes the disappointment in him much more pronounced. IMHO, of course.

Jo, I guess it all comes down to what standards each are held at.
Those who were born into privilege are expected to hold their position to a higher standard that those who became famous because they are good athletes or famous actors and such.
Kurt Waldheim may have gotten away with murder but his countrymen decided that whatever may or may not have happenned during the war did not seem so serious to them for him to lose his standing. However with AD Karl because he belongs to Royalty he was criticised more harshly.
Double standard of course. But isn't the good old double standard that kept royalty for centuries out of the reach of the rules that applied to the common man?

Catherine Middleton already profits in the eyes of the public from her relationship to the Royals - she gets invitations and shares in the Royal's position in society. Not yet any "official" acknowledgement but certainly she shares part of William's life already which has elevated her to a higher position in society through her contact with Royality and thus she is measured by the different standards used for Royals. We can discuss if this is fair but I think it's at least a fact.

... exactly Jo, on the one hand Kate already benefits from her relationship with a royal but on the other hand she doesn't meet the high standards people expect from a royal. The dilemma is that you can't have the best out of both worlds, at least not for such a long time, six years or so. IMO Kate's attitude is to blame as we can perfectly see in Sweden - Daniel Westling is in a similar position (even dating the next monarch) but as he doesn't visibly benefit from his royal relationship and continues to lead his usual low-key and normal lifestyle he is not seen as a royal yet by the public which enables him to stay out of the headlines and get on with his life and business until the big day might occurr. I have no doubt that what is possible for Daniel could be possible for Kate - if only she wanted and acted accordingly.

Daniel Westling didn't get away with it that easily. I recall there was some controversy of sorts over his gym business, with the usual accusations of "profiteering" or cashing in from his relationship with the Crown Princess. However, things seem to have quietened down on that score, and he's putting on a more respectable (read dressy) front. His wearing of a back-to-front baseball cap garnered a similar reaction as Chely Davy's infamous hoop earrings, and Princess Eugenie's unglowing glow-stick.

Of course, Daniel is another who's still waiting, and waiting... he and Kate should catch up for a chat and compare notes. :)

That is clearly a problem, even posters on here seem to believe that she profits from the fact she is his girlfriend, when in reality (as we do not know) she probably doesn't. At best she seems to attract the negative aspects purely from dating someone who may become King.
The Beckhams are a bad example here. He I would say does represent a countries' value, he got his OBE, remember and might be Sir Beckham at some point in the future. I think Little Star referred more to the Wags, It Girls, "actresses" or "singers" in this country who are famous for all the wrong reasons but adored by the young generation. None of them is being critizised for constant clubbing, bed-hopping, getting drunk or even doing drugs which is partly the fault of the media. With the young royals it's different, royalty is supposed to stand out, lead by example, behave according to longstanding moral and social values - with the right to enjoy lots of privileges in return. If they don't walk the line it will be the first step towards redundancy
He may represent a portion of the values held by a small percentage of the English, but the criticism of the Beckhams in the non football related media, seem to indicate that many think he is a buffoon and the comments about Victoria are equalled only by the negative comments written by the Mail about Catherine. Contrary to your view, most of the youngsters I know, do not idolise the WAGS or the likes of cocaine Kate, they seem to appreciate more the success of Coleen Roonie, Kylie and Madonna, non binge drinking/snorting role models. Although I think we do see a more celebrity based culture amongst the young (12-20 year olds), however is this because the media concentrates on reporting the people who take their 'hero' worship too far?
IMO Kate's attitude is to blame as we can perfectly see in Sweden
Standards are different between 'ordinary' people in the two countries, so the comparrison is, IMO, unfair.

I hardly think that's the cause. If it were then young people (I loathe that phrase) would be raging against Girls Aloud, or the Beckhams or some other "celebs". There are plenty of people in the public eye who splash their cash around but are not subject to the same criticism. Many of these people are far more extravagant than the younger royals.

This is why I specified in my post that resentment was being focused against privileged youngsters and those who inherited their wealth. People seem to have more time for the Beckhams because they're considered to have earned their millions (whether "earn" is the right word for some of these overpaid celebrities is another matter, but the point is that their money is a result of their success, not a matter of trust funds and legacies), whereas the real resentment is directed toward the "born with a silver spoon in their mouth" demographic.

The Queen has generally tended to avoid these criticisms by being frugal in small things like the well-known "dog leads cost money" admonition to Charles when he was a kid and the stories of her going around Buckingham Palace turning off lights. But Margaret always caught flak for her Caribbean holidays (most people would be envious of a Caribbean holiday where they wouldn't be envious of several weeks' worth of tramping through fields in the rain at Balmoral, despite the latter being a far more expensive proposition, because they themselves would love to have the time and money for luxurious Caribbean holidays but wouldn't find the Balmoral experience all that appealing).

At the moment, William and Harry are falling much more into the Margaret category; even though Prince Charles and Princess Anne frequented night clubs when they were young, it wasn't reported as much; the celebrity culture hadn't taken off by then, and the royals were still somewhat off limits. Now things have changed in both the media and society at large, the royals will have to come to terms with it somehow.

I think it's probably true that Kate isn't going to do it right for them whatever she does - if she gets a job they'll find fault, if she doesn't get a job they'll find fault. That sort of fabricated controversy sells newspapers, so it'll happen regardless. It's just that it seems to me that the Mail has ratcheted it a few notches beyond controversies to a fairly sustained level of attack.

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are right when you say the resentment is aimed at those born into wealth, rather than those perceived as having earned it in some way. Catherine is seen as 'fair game' solely because she is dating one of these rich kids. Some people fail to realise that even inherited wealth has to be managed and invested, unlike the overpaid 'entertainers', there are no funds set up to look after them if they blow it all!

You are also right when you say Catherine cannot win, if she were to get a full time job, she would be stealing the employment from someone who 'really needs it'. The stories of the qualified but turned down would fill the Mail for weeks!:rolleyes:

... [snipped] At the moment, William and Harry are falling much more into the Margaret category; even though Prince Charles and Princess Anne frequented night clubs when they were young, it wasn't reported as much; the celebrity culture hadn't taken off by then, and the royals were still somewhat off limits. Now things have changed in both the media and society at large, the royals will have to come to terms with it somehow. ... [snipped and my bolding]
You have grasped the essence of the situation. It is unfortunate that the younger generation of the royals does contribute to a negative media buzz. Common people expect some controversial behaviour from celebrities, WAGs, and etc. On the other hand, royals/nobles are expected to behave impeccable just because of the aura that surrounds this social stratum.

The ever fickle public, whilst lauding Diana for trying to give her sons a 'normal' upbringing, now suggesting they are lazy good for nothings because they act like 'normal' rich kids! :whistling::whistling:

He may represent a portion of the values held by a small percentage of the English, but the criticism of the Beckhams in the non football related media, seem to indicate that many think he is a buffoon and the comments about Victoria are equalled only by the negative comments written by the Mail about Catherine.
I think Beckham is one of the most respected sportspeople in this country. Put aside the bling bling that surrounds him, he is one of the few footballers openly voicing his pride to play for his country, is a great ambassador with children / youngsters and doesn't fall drunken out of pubs. If he was subject to tabloid critizism like other people he wouldn't have been chosen to represent Team GB in Beijing as an ambassador for 2012.

Contrary to your view, most of the youngsters I know, do not idolise the WAGS or the likes of cocaine Kate, they seem to appreciate more the success of Coleen Roonie, Kylie and Madonna, non binge drinking/snorting role models.

Well, Coleen Rooney, although quite clever I have to admit, is acutally one of the most revealing examples why people are worshipping the WAGs: All you have to do is marry a rich but dumb footballer and use him as a stepping stone for your own career, very simple. And if this doesn't work out, don't worry because you'll be well off after the divorce. Kylie ... ok, maybe but Madonna is quite a dinosaur to the young generation, like from an prehistoric age.

Standards are different between 'ordinary' people in the two countries, so the comparrison is, IMO, unfair.

I don't think so and back to topic. As Warren pointed out, there were difficulties in the beginning but Daniel was a quick learner whilst Kate has been struggling for years now to understand the media machinery. Or maybe she does understand but doesn't want to adapt to it. Fair enough but here are the consequences - it's not a smear campaign but only the result of the way she choses to live her life.

Last edited:
The ever fickle public, whilst lauding Diana for trying to give her sons a 'normal' upbringing, now suggesting they are lazy good for nothings because they act like 'normal' rich kids! :whistling::whistling:
Well, the British Royal family has shown inability to keep the family members (I mean all members) and mass media under control. Courtiers and advisers of a various nature failed to duly serve the interests of the institution. So ... as you sow, so shall you reap ... Nothing more, nothing less... We can spend pages debating the subject matter, developing various arguments, and deducing causes/reasons. The bottom line is that the British royal family has lost control over a situation in my personal opinion. Thus, I would not view the bad articles about Ms. Middleton and her family as a smear campaign, but just a usual business.

Everyone trying to eat their cake and have it too I suppose. Yes, two rich kids living it up is normal although I should imagine that the two princes don´t really realise they are any different from anyone else, if you are born to riches and young enough not to have to do too many accounts and manage estates it is only natural. Lots of good time boys have inherited estates and then had to try and keep them and found out to their chagrin that it isn´t that easy.

I think Beckham is one of the most respected sportspeople in this country. Put aside the bling bling that surrounds him, he is one of the few footballers openly voicing his pride to play for his country, is a great ambassador with children / youngsters and doesn't fall drunken out of pubs. If he was subject to tabloid critizism like other people he wouldn't have been chosen to represent Team GB in Beijing as an ambassador for 2012.
He may have been one of the people chosen to represent the British team, but I think if you mentioned him to the majority of Scottish people, they would have objected to his choice. :rolleyes: In Scotland, he is seen as an ex English player, not a British player. Those in Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland, have their own sports personalities who do a lot of work with children and the under privilaged. Even Seb Coe was subject to criticism and will continue to be so if the cost of 2012 continues to rise.:ohmy:
Well, Coleen Rooney, although quite clever I have to admit, is acutally one of the most revealing examples why people are worshipping the WAGs: All you have to do is marry a rich but dumb footballer and use him as a stepping stone for your own career, very simple. And if this doesn't work out, don't worry because you'll be well off after the divorce. Kylie ... ok, maybe but Madonna is quite a dinosaur to the young generation, like from an prehistoric age.
When I mention Kylie and Madonna, it is because they seem to have a huge following amongst many of the young, then again so do The Rolling Stones, Who, Beatles etc. When the youngsters speak about their taste in music it varies widely from Madonna - Rihanna - Prydz - Kid Rock - Verve - Kt Tunstall - Abba etc, etc. Madonna is after my time and I have never rated her music. :D
Poor little Coleen, fell in love with a boy at school, who then became a well paid footballer and suddenly it is suggested that she realised at this young age, he was going to be rich and famous, so stuck with him just to make herself a 'career'. :rolleyes:
I don't think so and back to topic. As Warren pointed out, there were difficulties in the beginning but Daniel was a quick learner whilst Kate has been struggling for years now to understand the media machinery. Or maybe she does understand but doesn't want to adapt to it. Fair enough but here are the consequences - it's not a smear campaign but only the result of the way she choses to live her life.
Most of the European countries have a different attitude to people in the UK. People on here said 'I'd feel differently about her if she had a job', there followed the job at Jigsaw, 'I'd feel differently if she had a full time job', there followed Party Pieces. Next it will be 'I'd feel differently if she didn't mix with people from the same or higher social group, financial group, sex etc, etc.

If anyone has forgotten, Catherine is a young woman we know virtually nothing about, has never given an interview, is not financed in any way, shape or form by any British taxpayers, has never committed any crime, has never received freebies (as far as we know), has never asked for preferential treatment and as far as we know - unlike some of the young royals - never uttered the 'Do you know who I am line'.

Well, the British Royal family has shown inability to keep the family members (I mean all members) and mass media under control.
That is what happens in a democracy IMO.

I wouldn't say Colleen Rooney earns her keep; she got her money by hooking onto Wayne Rooney when he was at Everton.

Victoria Beckham did have a career before David but she doesn't seem to do anything with it now.

But I do think a reason that William and Harry are getting more in the paper is that they are hanging out with groups where people are ready and willing to sell clandestine photos and stories to the press. Some of the photos of Harry were taken at military parties that were offlimits to the press.

This is something that wouldn't have happened to Charles in the Navy and knowing how closeknit the military is, I'm somewhat surprised that its happening to Harry.

I'm not excusing the behavior but it does make a difference in the coverage.

And which career path exactly should Kate follow??? :eek: Nothing she does will be quite right, she will be profiting, trading, etc on her relationship!!! Until she gets a bloody ring on her finger and can walk well groomed and smiling for the general public for life (which she has done so far anyway) She should be doing something else according to the popular opinion. Or at least 'someones' opinion. She is in no mans land until then and why should they move their relationship at our speed and not their own. IMO she is the latest punching bag for journalists who dont have anything better to write about and if they wrote that she had descended from heaven purpose built for England the people who read their articles would gobble it up as quickly as they do the negative comments about her. (please understand I am not a fan of the lady in particular or her fiancee but I dont think any amount of jewellery would be worth the **** she puts up with.) :D Whether or not she thinks so is a topic for a different thread:whistling:

And which career path exactly should Kate follow??? :eek: Nothing she does will be quite right, she will be profiting, trading, etc on her relationship!!! Until she gets a bloody ring on her finger and can walk well groomed and smiling for the general public for life (which she has done so far anyway) She should be doing something else according to the popular opinion. Or at least 'someones' opinion. She is in no mans land until then and why should they move their relationship at our speed and not their own. IMO she is the latest punching bag for journalists who dont have anything better to write about and if they wrote that she had descended from heaven purpose built for England the people who read their articles would gobble it up as quickly as they do the negative comments about her. (please understand I am not a fan of the lady in particular or her fiancee but I dont think any amount of jewellery would be worth the **** she puts up with.) :D Whether or not she thinks so is a topic for a different thread:whistling:

I really don't envy the situation Catherine is in. She basically has only 2 options; continue waiting for the ring, or call it a day. If she tries to start her own buisness, or even work for a low-profile art gallery, she's going to be critisized. The thing is, if she doesn't work, then a lot of people, including myself, are going to accuse her of being "waity-Katy". That might be unfair, if you think of the situation she is in, but then if you wake up at 7 to be at work at 9, you are hardly going to think about Catherine's "situation", are you? You're just going to see a young woman, who does nothing but wait for her boyfriend to propose, and you're going to ask yourself "is this the woman I want to see as my Queen some day"?
The blame here is on William, imho. If he's serious about her, then he should give her the bloody ring. If he's not, then give the girl a chance to go ahead with her life!

The thing is, if she doesn't work, then a lot of people, including myself, are going to accuse her of being "waity-Katy". That might be unfair, if you think of the situation she is in, but then if you wake up at 7 to be at work at 9, you are hardly going to think about Catherine's "situation", are you? You're just going to see a young woman, who does nothing but wait for her boyfriend to propose, and you're going to ask yourself "is this the woman I want to see as my Queen some day"?
The blame here is on William, imho. If he's serious about her, then give her the bloody ring. If he's not, then give the girl a chance to go ahead with her life!
I personally think they are young to marry and even though at this point he is my future king I am ok with them living in sin:wub: It may be the best option for her security but I am damned if I cared about a man would I give him up because of what some rag wrote about my working life, pride after all is cold company and doesnt keep the feet warm. :)

kbear, I agree they can keep each other's feet warm for a few more years till they both decide they are each other's dream.
With the divoce rate being what it is the last thing the BRF needs is a new round of divorces among their youngest generation.....especially a king in waiting.

I am afraid that I agree more with Amandargt. If he is not going to marry her he is just using her and that is not fair. Maybe she is having a really good time with all the fuss she is having made of her as his girlfriend "perhaps" future queen, but if she is discarded for a later or more suitable model it will be devastating for her and he will just get on with his life. I really think that it was a true breaking up, but after that we saw Kate everywhere the prince went, the same clubs the same parties. The excuse given by some papers was that they had the same friends etc etc. Maybe but it really gave me the feeling she was almost stalking him. He, of course is fond of her and comfortable with her so he just gave in to his feelings against, perhaps his better judgement. It was said at the time that his father had told him that if he didn´t intend to marry the young lady it would be better to break up for her sake - and for me the telling part is this - he did break up with her and the "famous friends that always turn up at these occasions" said that she blamed Prince Charles for the breakup. This may all be gossip and untrue but it convinced me at the time.

Those two are a bad combination in terms of media coverage. Not only Kate is struggling, I think many people see William as a joke, somebody who hasn't come to terms with his own destiny and is more or less being moved from stint to stint without showing much enthusiasm. He is not much different to what people, including me, critizise Kate for. If he was more of "give me my duties" and "I am interested to do this or this in depth" maybe this whole relationship would be seen in a different light and would reflect better on Kate. For now, they are just seen as two fun-driven people, she does the easy lifestyle what is seen as benefitting from her royal boyfriend who only does what he has to, and even the tasks allocated to him are not completed with the necessary seriousness but point towards a rather worrying immaturity.

I wouldn't say Colleen Rooney earns her keep; she got her money by hooking onto Wayne Rooney when he was at Everton.

Victoria Beckham did have a career before David but she doesn't seem to do anything with it now.
Coleen & Wayne met when she was 12 and began their relationship when she was 16 (in the final year at secondary school). He at that time was a junior member of Everton, had no professional contract and was still living with his parents.

Beckham became 'famous' when he started dating one of the Spice Girls, Victoria.:rolleyes:
Well said! :flowers:

I don't think Kate is in "limbo" because William hasn't proposed yet. Why should she not know when this will occur? I cannot imagine that they haven't talked about this issue since there's been speculation about a possible engagement ever since 2004. I think she does what she wants and I do not have the impression that she would lead her life any differently if she wasn't dating William. I also do not have any reason to believe she's unhappy with her life right now. She appears very content and smily in almost every picture of her we see. Noone can "fake" happiness for some 4 years while under constant public observation. After all she didn't change anything during their (admittedly very short) break-up and there is no indication that she gave up any dream of a certain career for William. To me she always came across like someone who pirmarily wants to marry and have children and not establish herself in a certain career. But some seem to have a huge problem with a woman who isn't after being a business magnate or lawyer, doctor or whatever. How dare she being happy helping out at her parents business! :whistling: I don't think that' Kate's problem though. She is free to live her life as she wants (for now) as long as she's happy I see no reason to constantly hassle William to propose to her.
However, I have the impression also that William isn't very enthusiastic about his military training that's why I find it rather unfortunate that he is "forced" to do it anyways. He's not interested, he'll not serve in active duty anyways and the impression he'll get from his 5-12 week stints will hardly teach him something about the armed forces he couldn't have learned form simply talking to service men. It is unfortunate that the RF clings to the idea that an heir has to "serve" when he is clearly not... not even mentioning the rather embarrassing PR videos praising him as a "natural" in everything he does from training at Sandhurst to flying airplanes and helicopters to steering ships etc... Obviously noone will buy this.
I think it would have been much wiser to only have him participate in the basic military education in Sandhurst and then have him move on to diplomatic education since that would be his future role anyways. He won't be a soldier, he'll be the head diplomat and representative of his country.
I don't think he'd have any PR "problems" if it wasn't for his own lack of enthusiasm for his role. That has nothing to do with Kate or her life style, IMO. William has to come to terms with his destiny and find a meaningful way to deal with it.

If Kate is doing exactly what she would have done if she hadn´t met Prince William why did she bother to go to University, she knew she wouldn´t be using her degree? I think she did have ambitions but they stopped the minute William took interest in her. I believe she is in a kind of limbo, not a royal fiancee but with media taking just as much interest in her as if she were. I don´t believe at this point she can do anything. Take a job, not take a job. Mind you the helping with her family internet business is a good excuse. I only saw one photo of her helping and she seemed to be carrying something in her best clothes and very high heels. This may have been unfair to her putting this photo in the papers but when newspapers want to sell they do what they need to do. I took this as a veiled criticism or perhaps not so veiled, so besides marrying William I really don´t know what she should do with her life....unfortunately marriage seems to be the only thing to do after all these years.

I know many who go to university because they are interested in a certain subject not because they plan a career. She studied history of arts. To what career ambitions does that point? Maybe in the art world as gallerist or curator? As far as I know to get a job in a gallery or as a museum curator one needs at least a master or a PhD, so if she had wanted to take that path she could simply have continued her studies possibly in St. Andrews. I'm sure St. Andrews may have agreed to prolongue the media ban that was already in place. So nothing could really have stopped her if those were her ambitions. Education is not only to qualifie you for a job. Some people like learning just for learning's sake and to broaden their knowledge. Whether that is the case with Kate is of course impossible to know.

The media ban was arranged between St James Palace (Prince Charle's office at that time) and PCC to protect William and Harry. I don't believe St Andrews University had a part in the negotiation. As Kate was and still is a private citizen, even if she had extended her studies, without a formal engagement with William, she would have no legal standing to ask for a similar arrangement.

I've just read this article from today's Guardian. It is utter rubbish, of course. However, I think it does show is some grotesque way the opinion that has formed about Catherine.
Now, personally I have nothing against her. On the contrary, I do actually admire her; she's behaved with maturity and dignity all along. I blame William for placing Catherine the stupid situation she's in, at least in the eyes of public. I understand they might have discussed things and know exactly where they are heading, so it's really no one's business what they do and when. But bearing in mind the position William and his wife would eventually occupy, I think the "public opinion" should mean quite a lot for them.

Here is the article I was talking about - stupid but funny. :whistling::D
A peek at the diary of ... Kate Middleton | Life and style | The Guardian

You know this girl was the darling of the British media until the agreement to stop publishing paparazzi pics by some of the press.

It does seem rather harsh though that William cannot take his time getting to know his future wife and making sure they're right for each other.

The rush for them to get engaged seems rather counter-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom