The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think there are two phenomena with the Daily Mail.

The first is their unprecedented inside information from Diana to Richard Kay. Before then, royals didn't give inside scoops to tabloid publications or for that matter, any publication and they were well known for shutting any acquaintance out who divulged royal secrets to the press, no matter how innocuous they sounded. Until it became clear that Diana was feeding Richard Kay inside info, the British Royals didn't have to do anything and people assumed that the Daily Mail was just making things up because common knowledge dictated that royals and those in a position to know such secrets would never tell them. But with the realization that Diana had been feeding Kay the information, all bets were off which tabloid story to believe and which to disregard as rubbish. Who knew what Diana was telling to whom? Nobody knew for sure. People didn't have an easy barometer any more. This gave the Daily Mail far more credibility than they had ever had before and with the increased credibility came the increased ability to influence public opinion. Yes, journalists are after the money but they really want to influence public opinion more because if they can do that, the money will follow. Also if some journalists are to be believed, Diana consulted with them before her engagement and they gave her advice on how to handle herself in public to bring about the engagement. Apparently, they advised her on posture, dress, manners, how to make an entrance, etc. and the tabloids had to have sensed an enormous power to be able to directly influence the public persona of a person who was so highly placed within the Royal Family. Richard Kay was even employed as Diana's speechwriter so for a time, he was literally putting words in her mouth. They had the power to help shape a person who would then serve as their best selling brand. I daresay few papers have had the ability to so directly influence a public figure and indirectly influence the coverage and the paper's standing with the public that Richard Kay was able to do with his relationship with Diana. Before Diana, the tabloids hadn't had that access. That type of access is not going to happen too often and if the tabloids get used to it, they have a hard time finding something to replace it with. So a part of the Daily Mail's current campaign is finding its relevance after their inside track with Diana disappeared. Before the breakup, coverage about Kate was pretty positive. Now its negative, I think the Daily Mail is trying to find an angle that will stick and resonate with people.

But I see another phenomenon and I hope its wrong. However, I suspect that the current negative campaign against Kate is in William's best interests. Prior to and during the engagement with Diana, the tabloids were printing the hype of the virginal, pure, young bride and the Royal Family totally supported that angle and contributed to the image of Diana, the perfect bride. At the time, they couldn't imagine that Diana would feed inside information to tabloid reporters disparaging the other royals. However, when Diana did strike out against the Royal Family she did it with the powerful public image that they had first supported and helped to create. The Royal Family could have been said to have shot itself in the foot with its own gun. Now I wonder if the royal families are a little bit gun-shy of incoming brides that are too popular with the public for fear of bringing in someone who can do them tremendous damage when things go wrong. I suspect some people close to William leaked some stuff out about Kate during the break up to bring her down a bit and they have succeeded. So instead of bringing in someone who is 'perfect' and the People's Princess, they bring in somebody who has been a little roughed up by the press but not in any way that is truly damaging to their reputaion if they bring her in. Complaints about Kate not getting a job are IMO not serious enough to stick if she becomes William's wife. Papers may find more complaints about her because the public has been set up to take some Kate-is-not-so-perfect stories but I honestly can't see a story about King William and Queen Kate start out with 'you know prior to marriage, she never did a damn thing in her life.' even if its true. By the time they're King and Queen, what job or lack of job Kate will have had before her marriage will not seem so important because people's tastes in what they want to read will change.

However, I must say that if this second phenomenon is actually what's happening and the Royal Family is setting Kate up to get knocked around a little by the press, I think its horrible way to introduce her into the family.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't necessarily accept that it's someone in the RF who's leaking on Kate, but there must be someone among William's "friends" who said all the negative things during the breakup. I've read that the Daily Mail is the tabloid of the upper classes/conservatives. If this is true, it would make sense that these same people would go to the Daily Mail with a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
However, I must say that if this second phenomenon is actually what's happening and the Royal Family is setting Kate up to get knocked around a little by the press, I think its horrible way to introduce her into the family.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have always said that the campaign against Camilla is to try to 'bring her into line'. A "If you are nice to us, we will be nice about you scenario".

They are trying the same thing with Catherine and failing miserably. Their sources regarding Catherine are as 'reliable' as their sources regarding Charles and Camilla - non existent.

Richard Kay and Katie Nicholls come across as bitter twisted has beens and some of the 'women' on some of the forums quoted seem to have personality disorders, what else could account for their attacks on a young woman they don't even know? They certainly seem to be eaten up with jealousy, perhaps they thought they stood a chance with William!

I seriously think it is a smear campaign orchestrated by the the Mail, certain republican factions and these disturbed young women.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I've read that the Daily Mail is the tabloid of the upper classes/conservatives. If this is true, it would make sense that these same people would go to the Daily Mail with a leak.
Oh my goodness, the mail is certainly NOT read by the upper classes! It is the paper that is read by the lower middle classes who wish they were in the middle class!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Oh my goodness, the mail is certainly NOT read by the upper classes! It is the paper that is read by the lower middle classes who wish they were in the middle class!
thanks for making me feel great there Skydragon as i read the DM Well there are alot worse papers in the UK - goodness you could read the really trashy papers such as the Sun/Mirror/news of the World or you could be a very wishy washy liberal person and read the independant and guardian heaven forbid

Its not only the DM that prints stuff about the royals - since Diana's death the Express has run a continued campagin about the conspiracy theories

Kate for a good number of years was always seen as the golden-eyed girl with no past whilst Chelsy had her past dug up with the exposure of her fathers dealings so it was probably only a matter of time before the news papers werent selling copies about how great Kate was and needed a new angle to write about

Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
thanks for making me feel great there Skydragon as i read the DM Well there are alot worse papers in the UK - goodness you could read the really trashy papers such as the Sun/Mirror/news of the World or you could be a very wishy washy liberal person and read the independant and guardian heaven forbid

Its not only the DM that prints stuff about the royals - since Diana's death the Express has run a continued campagin about the conspiracy theories
-snipped-
My apologies for a sweeping statement! The Express, as I am sure you know is considered one of the lowest of the low by many.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

So which one is the upper-class tabloid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Times...

Seriously, Skydragon, don't the upper classes read The Mail for a bit of light relief?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Courtier

Media backlash is common in these cases, what goes up must come down. We now seem to live for seeing people rise fast and fall fast and then "redeem" themselves.

ETA: I've noticed a few stories on her brother lately and just noticed these new pics, he is a bit of a hot mess LOL...someone should talk to him.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The Times...

Seriously, Skydragon, don't the upper classes read The Mail for a bit of light relief?
Yes The Times is a hot favourite and the FT of course, followed I think by The Telegraph.

When we have guests or are guests, all of the papers are available to read and to be fair (), The Mail does have some interesting stories about a variety of subjects. They just seem to allow one or two no hopers print space, to invent 'stories', IMOoc, about some members of the Royal Family.
The Sun seems to be a hot favourite with some of the males, must be the pictures!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Courtier

I have read all the above statements, but I still don't understand why a smear campaign against Kate. What is the British Media afraid of that would cause such a thing, or is it just the fact that they don't have another "Royal" to pull apart at the present time? Rather silly in the long scheme of things and world news.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Rather silly in the long scheme of things and world news.
But that's exactly the point: the buyers decide daily on the success of the editor-in-chief of a daily paper. So there is not much room for the "long scheme of things" but it's the need to have daily an eye-catcher as their lead in order to be the paper bought by commuters on their way to work. Because these commuters can decide daily if they take the Mail, the Sun or the Express at the news stands or at these little boxes at the entrances of the tube station.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Harry was the suitable media whipping boy for a while (smoking dope, SS uniform etc) but now he's served in Afghanistan he's harder to attack. Chelsy is in Leeds studying, so she's not much of a target. It's hard to whip up a media storm about William (the helicopter stuff died a quick death) so it seems that Kate's the one. It's easier with her because so much about her is a mystery, therefore more can be made up.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Royal Highness

i don't think you could call the few semi negative/negative stories about catherine a "smear campaign"...just a change of pace from the usual fluff pieces that they've been printing. the summer is usually slow news time so they have to do something. you want smear campaing? the duchess of york during her marriage....need i say more.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
I have the feeling the "smear campaign" started in the internet community and then translated to the papers. I have noted that there's a rather opinionated group of posters on several forums who are very much opposed to Kate Middleton and have been so for quite some time even long before any negative article was written about her. At first it was denied that she even was William's grilfriend then after university the first row of criticism started because Kate didn't have a job right away, then when she worked at Jigsaw her every picture was dissected, criticised and her every move torn apart. Finally she and her whole family were insulted as social climbers and golddiggers and now it's the Waity Katie line (a phrase, which was coined by someone at TIF, I think).
The Daily Mail obviously caught up with this group online and decided to use some of their story lines for their own publication - probably because they have no access to any real insiders as all the wrong reports about a possible engagement, Kate working for Testino, Kate living in Clarence House, Kate's mother attending Ascot with the Queen etc. clearly show.
This is EXACTLY what has happened. Thank you Isana, for speaking the ROYAL TRUTH.

The Daily Mail and others printed very favorable pieces about Kate early in her relationship with William. They've been reading internet royalty fora -- one in particular where the posters have disparaged Kate Middleton from Day 1 -- and have picked up their sleazy and disgusting lies and run with them. End of Story. "Waity Katey" originated at that horrible message forum. And then the Daily Mail, for whatever reason, outed much of the source of their erroneous information, complete with screen names and quotes and pictures that the posters at that site lifted from Facebook and put on that board. There are other photos of James where he is enjoying his friends while sailing, there are pictures of Kate's family's bonfire at their home, none of which will see the light of day because those aren't salacious enough. Those pictures of James in the French maid outfit and and other photos of Kate were emailed to the Daily Mail by some of those posters. Some of them would even hint coyly at having done it.

{inflammatory comment deleted - Elspeth}
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Aristocracy

From what I understand is James himself registered on The Internet Forum Late last year when pics of him started to get posted on the forum. He apparently became friends with a few of them who liked Kate and his Family and let them have access to his facebook account to which those very people posted even more pics of James. One of those posters is said to know James in person, that posted a lot of photo's of James and his sister pippa. The Daily Mail lifted a lot of what that poster said and did and contributed it to the wrong poster.

Those pics didn't come from those so called nasty people they came from people who claimed to know James, or are fans of Kate.

Also the press are the ones who are smearing Kate not members of a forum, they just use us as an excuse to hide their own agendas.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I feel for the Middleton family. It cannot be easy for such a normal, ordinary, close family to suddenly become Tabloid fodder. They must all be feeling like goldfish in a bowl, and let's be honest, it is not their fault, or their choice. Their oldest daughter just happens to be dating a Prince.

They obviously love and try to run interferrance to protect each other from unkind attack, but I don't think they could ever have envisioned their lives turning into a daytime soap opera. As for James little "incident"? I wouldn't be surprised if half of it wasn't motivated by an urge to take a swipe at the "invaders" into what really is a very ordinary life. His life, and he can't even have a bit of harmless fun without sleazy papers plastering it on headlines around the world and countless "Dr Phil" types get to pontificate about his "real" motivations.

It is enough to drive any normal person barking mad, and I think that is what "they",the media in general, and the Daily Mail in particular wants. Someone in that family to "crack" and lash out in an indiscreet way.

Like Elspeth and so many others, I believe Catherine is the subject of a very specific, targeted "smear" campaign, driven by frustration on the part of the DM, by not having the inside track, having no control. As has been said earlier, the DM made the Queen do something she was reluctant to do. They forced her hand, and not surprisingly, they started to think they could "control" the BRF.

Camilla was a gift they couldn't believe but it all turned to dust when the average citizen exercised a little of their grey matter and decided they could make up their own minds about who should and who should not be married to the POW. The fact that the couple's friends are notoriously tight-lipped about Charles and Camilla must be an enduring thorn in their collective sides. The fact they are happy and the British public believe they are happy in defiance of media reports to the contrary must really drive them nuts.

But, with William, the DM have behaved as if he "belonged" to them in some way predicated on the link they previously had with his mother. Bad call. He seems to have learned from his parents media debacle and his girlfriend seems to be channeling Camilla in her behaviour toward them.

I believe the DM, with it's "Waity Katy" campaign have finally gone too far. They have metaphorically burned their bridges and can't go back and change their minds. Catherine's family are basically living under siege and the royal relationship is no further ahead nor behind what it was this time last year. They are desperate for a headline and I think they now intend to wage an all-out media war against Catherine in the hope that something, anything, will happen.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

In what way are the Middleton family under seige? If the posts on this forum are correct then the only paper that is coducting the "smear campagin" is the Daily Mail and they are simply one paper out of half a dozen other tabloids.

Personally I think it's wrong of the Daily Mail to post personal information about family members, it's clearly a step over the line. However, if you believed some of the posts here you would think the entire country was talking about the Middletons when quite obviously they are not.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Aristocracy

Sorry, but I'm not buying this anti-Middleton smear campaign. Daily Mail may be just a tabloid, but it is sort of telling the truth, isn't it?
I found the latest report that Catherine is actually working 9 to 5 quite absurd really; working for your family may or may not be easier (I, for one, now pursue family buisness), but she's been holidaying all the time and is always "available" when William is around.

I don't have anything against Catherine personally, she can be a pretty nice girl for all I know. But if I were her, I wouldn't put whole my life on hold for anyone, even for a prince.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Aristocracy

She didn't holiday "all the time" this year. She was on three vacations with William Klosters in March/April, Mustique in May, Mustique in August. That's 3 weeks and a very common amount of holidays for European standards. You get about 4-6 weeks off plus bank holidays in Europe. I think in the US it's much less.
Most events she attended (with the exception of the wings and the Garter) took place on weekends - so no sign for her not working either. She was hardly seen out and about enough to leave no time to work at Party Pieces. To the contrary. She was hardly photographed. For example the last pics of her and William clubbing were taken August 15 that's 3 weeks ago.

Tags
british royal family, kate middleton, prince william, tabloid press