The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Should William bare some of the responsibility for Harry's Nazi costume?
Yes William should've made a joint apology; he should've forseen the repercussions 16 26.67%
No, it's wrong to blame William; Harry is only 2 years younger and is accountable for his actions 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Nobility

I think the whole of their social circle should bear the criticism. These are young men and women of enormous privilege who live on the legacies of their ancestors and give nothing back. And for these people to dress up in costumes glorifying an age in the history of the world that witnessed mass enslavement and murder is mortifying. I read recently that there were guys at the party dressed in black face, like in minstrel shows. To me, that's horrifying, and for Prince William and Prince Harry to have been there, with all these spoiled prigs is, to me, an enormous shock. Before this, I was a great fan of them, but, to be honest, I feel sorry for the British people after this incident to have to put up with such stupid and hurtful antics as were exhibited by the princes and their friends.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
I think the whole of their social circle should bear the criticism. These are young men and women of enormous privilege who live on the legacies of their ancestors and give nothing back. And for these people to dress up in costumes glorifying an age in the history of the world that witnessed mass enslavement and murder is mortifying. I read recently that there were guys at the party dressed in black face, like in minstrel shows. To me, that's horrifying, and for Prince William and Prince Harry to have been there, with all these spoiled prigs is, to me, an enormous shock. Before this, I was a great fan of them, but, to be honest, I feel sorry for the British people after this incident to have to put up with such stupid and hurtful antics as were exhibited by the princes and their friends.
Very well said grecka. William and Harry both made a terrible choice in attending a party with a "colonial" theme, period. (Who in the world would ever throw a party with such a theme in the first place?) That should've been the first sign that this was not a good party to be attending, especially individuals who have learned about the terrible inequalities and social injustices as a result of colonization and the terrible attrocities of World War II. And that as public individuals, did they really think that a Nazi costume and such a themed-party would go unreported? The British media reports all sorts of mundane details like what kind of soda pop William drinks or what kind of cigarettes Harry smokes -- no one is stupid enough to think that this would go under the radar.

In Canada, I have read a lot of talk and fervor over cutting completely off all ties with the British monarchy in light of this recent incident. At best Canadians were indifferent about having Queen Elizabeth II as our official, although symbolic, head of state. But this very public incident of Harry in the Nazi costume has been stupidly embarassing beyond words and many Canadians don't want to be affiliated with anyone either so insensitive or so ignorant.

I think this is one incident too many for most people. And this time an apology from Harry and even a visit to a concentration camp won't be enough.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 AM

Angry harry is a grown man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie2
i'm sure u guys heard about the whole Harry nazi row, some think he was stupid whilst others say he's inconsiderate, but now new sources are saying that Wills should bare some of the blame, they say that he was with harry both when he chose the outfit and was with him at the party! i want to know your views..do u think

a..yes wills should have made a joint apology he's the older one and should have forseen the row it would have cause!

b..no, it's wrong to blame wills, harry is only 2 years younger than wills he's an adult and everyone should be held accountable to their own action!

harry is 20! william doesn't have to have him run every little outfit by him!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:31 AM
Gentry

I think William is to blame because he was with Harry when he picked out the costume and since William has accepted blame himself I think perhaps he may have even encouraged Harry with his costume choice. My brother isn't even a whole year younger then me but I still tell him when he's doing something stupid and do my best to talk him out of it.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Commoner

I don't think William should be responsible for a decision that Harry made on his on. Harry and William are two different people!
“Young people are willing to take risks and understand how important peace is. They are more naturally idealistic and empathetic when given the opportunity to meet face to face, and they believe they can achieve reconciliation and peace in their lifetime. I pray we will succeed together.”

~~Queen Noor~~
Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls
I don't think William should be responsible for a decision that Harry made on his on. Harry and William are two different people!
quiet agree
Old 01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls
But we don't know how much William had to do with making this decision. They both went shopping together and for all we know the costume could have been William's idea. I think the fact that William feels he is to blame may be an indicator that he was more involved then we think in this decision.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

"I am not my brother's keeper..."

Had this happened when Harry was 13 years old, I could understand blaming William for it. An average fifteen year old has more rational thoughts, and awareness of consequenses, than a thirteen year old.

Since Harry is twenty... I see it as quite pointless to try to blame William. Certainly William should have tried to talk him out of it, but in the end the final responsibility has to lie on Harry's shoulders and he should take the responsibility for his actions like a man.

What I also want to know: How could someone rent out the costume like that in the first place? I can quite see why they would have it, and rent it out to groups performing plays on stage... but renting it out to a single person? I find that fairly questionable as well.

The thing is not just about Harry's bad taste. It is also a matter of the education system in Great Britain. When someone can come out from it, and do something like that... the perception on history is clearly something that should be fixed.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Nobility

I vote for no. I think that even though William could have perhaps advised Harry against his choice of dress, he is only two years older than him, so Harry himself should have saw the consequences.

Although I believe the choice of costume is wrong and distasteful (particularly as it is so close to Holocaust Day) I think it will be a learning-curve for Harry - or at least I hope it will be!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
is so hesitant about doing duties (the guy is 22 friggin years old! get over it!) and he has hardly done any duties and is quite unsure and he talsk about how stubborn he can be. Give me a friggin break. I no longer have a crush on him and I cannot respect a boy who sulks at his duty...
I have to disagree with you on that point, William is 22 and he will have a lifetime to fulfil his duties. People forget that his 2nd in line to the thrown NOT THE HEIR TO THE THROWN that mean he was more time to find himself.

William is breaking many of the boundaries that the royal families have set themselves he has chosen to study at St Andrews apposed to Oxford or Cambridge he was the first British monarch not to have home-schooling. I think by spending, as much time as people away from royal protocol he's in fact better equipping himself as a future king. He is submerging himself in the reality of life as apposed to the theatrical working of royal courts, i.e. Opening shopping centres or launching ships.

He's already involved in The Princes Trust and said he will continue to work with for his mother's aids cause. Look at Charles he started doing "royal duties" from about the age of 17! Yet when questioned most people prefer William to be the next king. Because most people can relate to William rather than Charles, who is as far away from the real world as is possible.

When he did the BBC interview he came across as a realist who understood his duties but refused to back down on his (and his mothers) wish to live as normal a life as possible.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

William has no official responcibility towards his brother until he should become King when he will then be responcible for anyone in the British Royal Family. Unless he was asked by his farther to supervise his younger brother then he can not be held accountable for his brothers actions. If harry's actions were 'irrisponcible' as a youth then it is the responcibility of his farther. However as Harry is over 18 he is responcible for his own actions and if his actions are detremental to the position of the Royal Family then it becomes an issue for the Queen. William is not and can not be seen to be held accountable.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Aristocracy

P. William (to the Media): Please, I've only agreed to appear here with this moron. I accept no responsibility for his actions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	willsharry.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	85369  
Old 01-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

I think they both should be punished. William was with harry and told him to buy the outfit. I'm not saying that harry didn't know better ,he should have. But william should have too. they were both there to buy it, they should both be responsible for the result. Imo
Old 01-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
I think they both should be punished. William was with harry and told him to buy the outfit. I'm not saying that harry didn't know better ,he should have. But william should have too. they were both there to buy it, they should both be responsible for the result. Imo
I dont think so!

William wouldnt getting punish! because he is future King of England! but William not have with armband its would be Harry! I saw articles in people magazine and US weekly all the times about Prince Harry because he used armband! but William not used armband with his brother!

William have different clothes what he wores and Harry put mistakes clothes with nazi armband but he not means!

Sara Boyce
Old 01-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
I dont think so!

William wouldnt getting punish! because he is future King of England! but William not have with armband its would be Harry! I saw articles in people magazine and US weekly all the times about Prince Harry because he used armband! but William not used armband with his brother!

William have different clothes what he wores and Harry put mistakes clothes with nazi armband but he not means!

Sara Boyce
Being or not being the future king of england means nothing. If anything it might mean that they should a bit harder on him and expect more of him. He was there adviesing harry to buy it knowing what he was buying. Harry is only 20 years old if he was 18 or 19 i don't think people would be saying what they are. he is a kid as one he will make mistakes ( like we all do). The only difference is that his are in public. If they are going to punish him they should punish william too. he was there just like harry. if he wore it or not means nothing he advised harry in a bad decision therefore he is as much to blame as harry if not more so since he is older.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
Being or not being the future king of england means nothing. If anything it might mean that they should a bit harder on him and expect more of him. He was there adviesing harry to buy it knowing what he was buying. Harry is only 20 years old if he was 18 or 19 i don't think people would be saying what they are. he is a kid as one he will make mistakes ( like we all do). The only difference is that his are in public. If they are going to punish him they should punish william too. he was there just like harry. if he wore it or not means nothing he advised harry in a bad decision therefore he is as much to blame as harry if not more so since he is older.

In OK! magazine they say that william was not with harry when he chose the outfit that wills had brought his outfit 2 days earlier and that they met at the party 'cause wills was in scotland beforehand!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie2
i'm sure u guys heard about the whole Harry nazi row, some think he was stupid whilst others say he's inconsiderate, but now new sources are saying that Wills should bare some of the blame, they say that he was with harry both when he chose the outfit and was with him at the party! i want to know your views..do u think

a..yes wills should have made a joint apology he's the older one and should have forseen the row it would have cause!

b..no, it's wrong to blame wills, harry is only 2 years younger than wills he's an adult and everyone should be held accountable to their own action!
Harry is absolutly responsible for his own deviant actions.Personally William is a saint like his dearly departed mother in my eyes.So no he should not be blamed for such a horrendous act which his assanine brother commited.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Commoner

Are Prince William and Prince Harry racist?

i've some posts in various threads commenting on the fact that will and harry and the rest of the british RF might be racists

what evidence are these claims being based on/do you think they're racist?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

Gosh do we really have to talk about this? Anyway one never knows if they are racist or not. But with the incident of HArry wearing the Nazi costume it seems that he and William may not take racism seriously. But I would not be surprised if some members of the RF, or of any royal family-in fact any person on this earth-had some racist or prejudice beliefs. But I think that the RF (as it is now-not as it will be in a few weeks) are pretty decent ppl.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:20 AM
Royal Highness

I highly doubt that William and Harry are racist. Harry showed EXTREMELY POOR JUDGEMENT in the wearing of that costume and I was quite upset with him. However, I believe their mother taught them that racism was not acceptable by taking them to homeless shelters, AIDS hospices and the like to show them all types of people who live in this world.

I highly doubt HM the Queen is either. She works with such fervor on behalf of the Commonwealth which has many African nations. Her Majesty has been photographed numerous times with African leaders and struck up a friendship with Nelson Mandela. She supported the Commonwealth nations over Margaret Thatcher during the 80's on several issues.

Tags
afrika korps uniform, costume party, prince harry, prince william