Rosacea and the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bluffton

Nobility
City
Bluffton
Country
United States
Is it just me, or do the Wales' boys have galloping cases of rosacea? Especially Harry? Did Diana have that, too? What about Charles and his siblings?

According to many Rosacea websites and the book by Ann Chubb entitled "Royal Fashion and Beauty Secrets" Diana was thought to have a mild case of Rosacea.
http://www.about-rosacea.com/famous.htm#princess

"Among the most famous rosacea sufferers is former President Bill Clinton, whose doctors disclosed that he has this condition in The New York Times. Others reported to have suffered from the disorder include Princess Diana, financier J.P. Morgan and the Dutch painter Rembrandt. "
Quoted from http://www.rosacea.org/press/archive/20040301.html

Princess Diana Did Not Have Rosacea!

It is prince Chas who has the rosacea. More often than not, Chas' face is blotched red. His hands are always red and frequently swollen. He is also a nail biter.

Unfortunately, Chas has passed this onto Princess Diana and his sons, Princes William and Harry.

Their faces frequently have the red blotchiness.

TrueBrits

UK

Rosacea isn't contagious, so there's no way Charles passed it on to Diana. It's quite prevalent in people of Northern European descent, as both Charles and Diana are, so the odds are good that they both had it and passed it on to their sons.

truebrits said:
It is prince Chas who has the rosacea. More often than not, Chas' face is blotched red. His hands are always red and frequently swollen. He is also a nail biter.

Unfortunately, Chas has passed this onto Princess Diana and his sons, Princes William and Harry.

Their faces frequently have the red blotchiness.

TrueBrits

UK

How can you say that Chas has passed this onto Princess Diana? Rosacia is not a contagious condition!

Let's see some photos...I remember photos of Princess Diana as a young girl with relatively little makeup show clear signs of rosacea. I've not noticed that as much with Prince Charles.

If Prince Charles is the genetic link, then where is he getting it from? Queen or Prince Philip?

Not necessarily rosacea - might be porphyria

Porphyria sometimes shows up as blotchiness and swollen hands. Tsaritsa Alexandra Fyodorovna had both galore and some probs w/pregnancies and births that led some to believe she had that secondary British royal fam disease (the first being hemophilia, as a carrier). She's Charles' great-great Aunt.

This is Rubbish!

PRince Charles leads a healthy outdoor life and like a lot of people who like hill walking etc in the British climate, has high colour - mostly windburn rather than a tan.

Last edited:
I have a friend with porphyria, Mary, who lives in England. She believes Charles has porphyria because of his red face, which surprises me, because not all people with porphyria have red faces. It is not a predominant sign of porphyria, although various porphs do have some "different" genetic characteristics. Prince Charles appears to be healthy--very--so if he has porphyria he has it under control, probably mostly by diet and avoidance of some medications and environmental hazards. His interest in organic gardening and in homeopathy (don't know if he still does homeopathy) would indicate someone who avoids triggers of porphyria. I don't know much about rosacea.

William seems too healthy to have porphyria, but porphyria people who have it "under control" are often quite healthy, even very healthy, because they avoid triggers. Harry does not seem to be able to drink alcohol very well, and also seems to get redder when he does. I really do not know if this is a sign of porphyria, getting red when one drinks. But he seems to act wild when he drinks, and he should not drink, in my very personal opinion which is not founded on knowing these people personally.

The statistics on porphyria are that 50% of children get it, 75% if both parents have it. Back in the days of yore, related persons married a lot among royals and landowners, as you all know. So therefore the likelihood of porphyria descending in the royal family, as a gene, but not necessarily in symptoms and signs, is high. Every time a royal marries someone who is not royal, the odds get less. But the statistical odds are there. 50% of children on average get it, 75% if both parents have it. It is a "dominant" gene and this is how dominant genes descend. Inexorably. But people learn how to live with it, or make a real attempt to not pass it on through marrying relatives. And I hope this has worked in the royal family. It may indeed have done so. We are not told, are we?

Last edited:
This is Rubbish!

PRince Charles leads a healthy outdoor life and like a lot of people who like hill walking etc in the British climate, has high colour - mostly windburn rather than a tan.

I quite agree Cepe. Total and absolute rubbish.

I have a friend with porphyria, Mary, who lives in England. She believes Charles has porphyria because of his red face, which surprises me, because not all people with porphyria have red faces. It is not a predominant sign of porphyria, although various porphs do have some "different" genetic characteristics. Prince Charles appears to be healthy--very--so if he has porphyria he has it under control, probably mostly by diet and avoidance of some medications and environmental hazards. His interest in organic gardening and in homeopathy (don't know if he still does homeopathy) would indicate someone who avoids triggers of porphyria. I don't know much about rosacea.

William seems too healthy to have porphyria, but porphyria people who have it "under control" are often quite healthy, even very healthy, because they avoid triggers. Harry does not seem to be able to drink alcohol very well, and also seems to get redder when he does. I really do not know if this is a sign of porphyria, getting red when one drinks. But he seems to act wild when he drinks, and he should not drink, in my very personal opinion which is not founded on knowing these people personally.

The statistics on porphyria are that 50% of children get it, 75% if both parents have it. Back in the days of yore, related persons married a lot among royals and landowners, as you all know. So therefore the likelihood of porphyria descending in the royal family, as a gene, but not necessarily in symptoms and signs, is high. Every time a royal marries someone who is not royal, the odds get less. But the statistical odds are there. 50% of children on average get it, 75% if both parents have it. It is a "dominant" gene and this is how dominant genes descend. Inexorably. But people learn how to live with it, or make a real attempt to not pass it on through marrying relatives. And I hope this has worked in the royal family. It may indeed have done so. We are not told, are we?

Mariel, Harry's also a pale ginger. A blush on his cheeks would show up easier than on William, who is considerably tanner most of the time.

I have perpetually "rosy" cheeks, but that doesn't make me any more a sufferer of rosacea or porphyria than Harry's flush when he competes in polo makes him such.

This suggestion is a bit of a stretch.

Fair skinned people can often have a blush of color on their faces, in the south here it's called peaches and cream complexion and desired to have.

Some people of Celtic descent also show signs of having 'high color' on their faces particular when they are working or drinking.

Good grief.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom