Prince William: Visit to New Zealand and Australia - January 17-21, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pictures of William at the Aussie Open - it is lovely to see him take an interest in the tennis especially since his mother was such a huge fan and took him to Wimbledon a number of times when he was a child

Well, I am impressed at how well Prince William has done on his first overseas trip!
There seems to be more photos, videos and links from his time in New Zealand than in Australia. Is this an indication that he was better received in NZ than in Australia?

He must have enjoyed the respite from the cold and snow in England to be in the sunshine and warmth.
This is a beautiful photo with the Sydney Opera House in the background --> http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/19/article-1244358-07EBC3DF000005DC-776_634x401.jpg

What is the average temperature in Australia/NZ now? I understand it's summer there. Is January the hottest month of the year?

Its summer but the summer hasnt been the great in NZ dont know about Oz though, I think its pretty hot this year actually. I think the main reason between difference in coverage is that the trip to NZ was an official trip while the one in Oz was unofficial.

Is January the hottest month of the year?

Generally, February is the warmest month in Australia. Though it has already been a very warm summer. Particularly in South Australia and Victoria.

It's been about 30-40 degrees celcius (I think that's about 100+ degrees fareneheit). So it's really hot. I'm surprised he wore suits everywhere.

I would say February is the hottest month. It just depends though on what climactic system (el nino v la nina) is around.

I haven't felt all that hot this year with many days not needing air conditioning with temperatures in the high 20s but then the next day it will reach 40 (tomorrow it is expected to reach 43 here but then on Sunday it will be 27 and today 36, the beginning of next week is also in the 20s but the end is in the 30s again).

There seems to be more photos, videos and links from his time in New Zealand than in Australia. Is this an indication that he was better received in NZ than in Australia?
I can only judge the success or otherwise of his Australian trip on the television coverage. Here in Sydney it could be classed as "blanket". Even this morning the TV news and chat shows were full of Prince William visiting the Victorian bushfire survivors, Prince William cooking at a barbecue, Prince William at the Australian Open, Prince Wiliam giving a speech, how wonderful Prince William is, what a great success Prince William's visit has been, etc etc. He was received very well indeed, much to some people's surprise.

As a side note it's obvious he has been given speech coaching. It has certainly paid off. The ums and ahs were noticebly less and he spoke with greater confidence and polish compared with say a year ago.

As a side note it's obvious he has been given speech coaching. It has certainly paid off. The ums and ahs were noticebly less and he spoke with greater confidence and polish compared with say a year ago.

I suspect it may have been a combination of speech / media training, increased confidence and a lot more experience!

Prince William in Australia

It was really nice to see Prince William dressed so appropriately for the climate and his age during his visit to Australia. It makes a nice change from the boring suits that are worn by members of the royal family when, on some occasions a more casual look would be more in keeping with the event.

A nice style about him there. Reminded me of both his Grandfather HRH Duke of Edinburgh and his Great Grandfather HIM George VI in his bowling and batting styles there. All in all a wonderful visit by a wonderful young man. It's good to know the throne will be in such safe hands long after I am gone.

I was just as thrilled to see him playing cricket with my favourite cricketer, Matthew Hayden.

I think it's great that he has been so well recieved. Perhaps the commonwealth may hang on after all.

The Commonwealth was never is doubt. The issue is whether Aus and / or Canada become republics or retain the monarch as the HoS!

I enjoyed watching the first part of this video. William is so animated when he's talking. I'm not sure, but it looks like he's telling about that time he was hit in the head with a golf club when he was a boy. :D

Where did you see this? Is there a video of his speech available online from the Australian press?

It's been about 30-40 degrees celcius (I think that's about 100+ degrees fareneheit). So it's really hot. I'm surprised he wore suits everywhere.

I would say February is the hottest month. It just depends though on what climactic system (el nino v la nina) is around.
Wow, to me 100 degrees is very warm! William didn't seem to break a sweat even in a suit. Maybe Australia doesn't have high humidity so it doesn't feel quite so hot?
I would love to visit there some day.

I can only judge the success or otherwise of his Australian trip on the television coverage. Here in Sydney it could be classed as "blanket". Even this morning the TV news and chat shows were full of Prince William visiting the Victorian bushfire survivors, Prince William cooking at a barbecue, Prince William at the Australian Open, Prince Wiliam giving a speech, how wonderful Prince William is, what a great success Prince William's visit has been, etc etc. He was received very well indeed, much to some people's surprise.
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that his visit was well covered in the press and he received positive reviews.

Here's another link to his speech in Australia from YouTube. I hope it works. It shows his entire speech. He did an excellent job!
YouTube - Royal tribute

Do you guys think he writes his own speeches? I know usually someone else does that for people in his position but his speech sounded personal.

This was a terrific speech! I really like his sense of humour and his humility. The remarks about his family set a personal touch as well. I look forward to when Prince William makes a speech like this from Canada!:flowers:

Thank you Warren and Sereta for the speeches. William gave a wonderful speech. And I didn't hear any ah's or um's. Its nice that he mentions both his mother and father and how funny that he calls Harry the "ginger one". :D

I have to say William has done such a wonderful job overall on this first overseas trip for him. He hasn't seemed nervous at all and has handled everything with aplomb especially all the crowds. I'm also glad to hear that he was received so well. Prince Charles, the Queen and Phillip must be so proud of him!

I'm sure the Queen and Prince Phillip were very proud of him. How nice that he's been so enthusiastically received. Quite a contrast to his father and stepmothers recent reception in Canada. Apparantly the 'fear of H1N1' has not kept people away as it did in Canada.

I have to say William has done such a wonderful job overall on this first overseas trip for him. He hasn't seemed nervous at all and has handled everything with aplomb especially all the crowds. I'm also glad to hear that he was received so well. Prince Charles, the Queen and Phillip must be so proud of him!
I agree. He represented the Queen well. I'm sure his family is very proud!

Thank you cd255 for the NZ speech. It's a nice speech. He seemed more confident giving the Australian speech but perhaps it's because the NZ one was his first on this trip so he was a bit more nervous. I agree the sound wasn't as good. He sounds further away.
What would we do without YouTube. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom