The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-19-2004, 11:29 PM
Aristocracy

Prince William Interview - November 2004

I would face front line - Prince William

The prince says he may join the Army after graduation

Prince William has said that if he joins the Army when he finishes St Andrews University he would not shirk fighting at the front line.

"The last thing I want to do is be mollycoddled or wrapped up in cotton wool," the 22-year-old said.

In an interview to mark the final year of his four-year course, he said to be kept back from war zones because of his title would be "humiliating".

He added that "life was too short" to be worried about one day becoming King.

The prince, who is second in line for the throne, would not be, he insisted, a reluctant King but that at the moment he was concentrating on keeping his "feet on the ground" and "enjoying myself as much as I can ".

"The thing is with me I look on the brighter side of everything.

"There's no point being pessimistic or being worried about too many things because frankly life's too short."

Talking about his recent role at Remembrance Sunday when he joined senior Royals including his father Prince Charles and grandmother the Queen at the Cenotaph service in London, he said it made him "very proud to be British".

"It should never be forgotten what all the war veterans have sacrificed for all of us to be as we are."

He expressed admiration for the British soldiers who were currently in action "fighting their hearts out".

He said he had hinted before at joining the Armed Forces when he finishes his studies and said the Army would be his first choice.

Harry a 'guinea pig'

He said officers' training academy Sandhurst was "very attractive" and younger brother Prince Harry was "going as a guinea pig first to see what happens".

If he serves, he said he would not expect to be "kept back for being precious".

"It's the most humiliating thing and it would be something I'd find very awkward to live with, being told I couldn't go out there when these guys have got to go out there."

However he added he had not entirely made up his mind about the future and "there's plenty of possibilities open".

Deep down I am pretty normal

Prince William

He also plans to consider what charity work he wants to perform, such as highlighting poverty and Aids in Africa and fighting homelessness.

"My mother introduced that area to me a long time ago, which was a real eye-opener and I'm very glad she did. It's been something I've held close to me for a long time."

As part of the interview, cameras followed the prince around the small university town in the east of Scotland.

He was shown playing snooker with friends and in a tutorial with a professor.

"Deep down I am pretty normal," he said. He said his time at university has been "brilliant" and that he has enjoyed being able to stay out of the media spotlight. That is expected to end with his studies next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4025653.stm

Alexander Smith

Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pics from Prince William from St. Andrews University, he is in his last year there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showLayoutImage.pl.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	58214   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	58215   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	58216   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	58217  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	58218   Click image for larger version

Name:	51766548.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	58219   Click image for larger version

Name:	51766552.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	58220   Click image for larger version

Name:	51766589.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	58221  

Name:	51766592.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	58222   Click image for larger version

Name:	51766593.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	58223  

Old 11-20-2004, 05:58 AM
Aristocracy

more pics.:)
Prince William is in his final year at St.Andrew University.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AP625416_guest.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	58271   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625428_guest.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	58272   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625431_guest.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	58273   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625433_guest.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	58274  

Name:	AP625614_guest.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	58275   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625615_guest.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	58276  
Old 11-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

i would fell in love that pictures!

Sara Boyce
Old 11-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Gentry

I loved the interview!I thought it was great.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...-SearchStories
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...m_041119191858
Old 11-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Aristocracy

My mother watched the interview (lucky her) and she said that William said that once he was signing autographs and shaking hands, an old lady came up to him and asked were she could shop for some undies. William responded that he was sorry he couldn't help because he didn't know much about those things. Of course William turned all red wen he told this. Is it true or not????
Old 11-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Have you had odd approaches in the street?
"I've had the odd one or two. If you're implying that I've been proposed to in the street, then yes I have. And people sort of come up to me, Jehovah's witnesses, I've had very devout Christians come up saying 'there's more to the word of God'.
"I've had lots of kids come up and ask for my autograph, I've had a grandmother stop me and ask me if I know a good place to buy underwear."

Do you?
"No, actually, I don't. I was a bit stuck by that one. I didn't mind being proposed to but that one really caught me out. I was a little bit stumped as to what to say on that one."

Here is the quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Majesty

How long was this interview
Old 06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solange
Have you had odd approaches in the street?
"I've had the odd one or two. If you're implying that I've been proposed to in the street, then yes I have. And people sort of come up to me, Jehovah's witnesses, I've had very devout Christians come up saying 'there's more to the word of God'.
"I've had lots of kids come up and ask for my autograph, I've had a grandmother stop me and ask me if I know a good place to buy underwear."

Do you?
"No, actually, I don't. I was a bit stuck by that one. I didn't mind being proposed to but that one really caught me out. I was a little bit stumped as to what to say on that one."

Here is the quote
i wish i can watch that interview. it must be really funny :p
Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraDaniel
i wish i can watch that interview. it must be really funny :p
Here a link for you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4026131.stm

Have fun!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Nobility

oh, thank you idriel :)
Old 06-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Serene Highness

lol, I watched the interview and read the transcript...very funny. Thanks Idriel!

Tags
armed services, interviews, prince william