The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2008, 02:26 AM
Majesty

You are right in that their advisers etc have to approve this but that doesn't excuse the princes to me but condemns the advisers as well. These young men are also old enough to make their own decisions and that should include being aware of the dangers into which they expect others to go because they want to go there.

If the princes were to do this trek without bodyguard I wouldn't have a problem, or if they were paying directly for the bodyguards, as they would be taking responsibility for the extra dangers into which they are putting their bodyguards.

I had no problems with the concert, other than the fact that it was to do with the member of the RF that I have despised since she trashed the boys father in public (but that is another issue). The fact is the concert raised heaps of money for charity and I applaud them for that (and think they could do something similar again). Going to rehab centres etc is what royals should do so long as they do it regularly and not only when they are getting bad publicity through actions that show poor judgement on the part of young men in their 20s who frequently act like young men 10 years younger than they are.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The bodyguards are employed by the British taxpayers - they are a branch of the police force...
100% with you Luvnbertie. Putting their bodyguards(and fellow soldiers) at risk like this (should be) is unacceptable. Do charity by all means, but on your own with no risk to others who are just doing their job.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The Mail's take on it, read some of the comments though....

Into the wild: Princes William and Harry begin their gruelling and dangerous South African charity bike trek | Mail Online

With warpaint streaked down their faces, Princes William and Harry sped off into the South African wilderness today on an epic 1,000-mile motorbike trek for charity.

I have to admit, although it's for charity, I do feel they should be doing the job they are paid for, Army Officers! Still I'm sure their comrades in Afghanistan and Iraq will be thinking of them on this grueling jaunt!
I'm with you there, skydragon. It looks like a joyride for thrill-seeking young men. I don't like how the royals are now being seen as just a face for this charity or that. There's got to be more to being royal than that. Actors and actresses do charity bits; its not an exclusive royal gig anymore.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the princes were to do this trek without bodyguard I wouldn't have a problem, or if they were paying directly for the bodyguards, as they would be taking responsibility for the extra dangers into which they are putting their bodyguards.
The bodyguards were probably queuing up to go, after all they will be sat in the support vehicles, not on bikes. Although I don't agree with our two royal Army Officers, off on another jolly, the protection officers would be with them anywhere they were, (apart from a war zone, then we would have a regiment of Gurkhas to protect them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I'm with you there, skydragon. It looks like a joyride for thrill-seeking young men. I don't like how the royals are now being seen as just a face for this charity or that. There's got to be more to being royal than that. Actors and actresses do charity bits; its not an exclusive royal gig anymore.
They are not even being seen as a face for a charity, they are doing so much damage to the reputation of the Royal family. I thought, when they became Army Officers, they would knuckle down and do their job, whether it meant being sent to Afghanistan, Iraq or a parade ground in the UK, the job UK taxpayers are paying them for. But, no, we had Williams exploits in the AirForce and shame on the OC for allowing it, now they have extra time off for another jolly.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Courtier

The Princes didn't organise this trek, Enduro Africa is the organisation that runs it each year. They learned about the trek when Sentabale was contacted to see if they wanted to be a recipient of the money that the enduro raises. Enduro Africa has made a commitment to Sentebale for the next 3 years which means money raised in the future enduros will go to Sentebale not just this year's. The publicity it's receiving due to William and Harry's participation means more people hearing about the trek and more people doing it and more money raised.
This was an relatively easy fundraising event for the Princes, Sentebale will get 100,000 pounds from this event, which the princes just joined. In contrast an enormous amount of work went into the Diana concert, including input from the Princes and it raised a one off approx 150,000 pounds for Sentebale. ( from the Sentebale site) For another 3 years without the princes having to be doing the fundraising approx 300,000 pounds will be raised for Sentebale. More money less work, so the trek was worth doing.

Concerts ( personally I think the Diana one was tacky) that are repeated aren't that effective, even the Princes Trust which used to have a concert a year in Hyde Park to raise money has stopped doing them. The novelty has worn out and they aren't cost effective.

The area where the trek is doing through is not seething with danger, that's why the trek is there! The danger is in people falling off their motorbikes and breaking bones. Not everywhere in Africa is a hotbed of murderous thugs out to get you, nor is everywhere politically unstable and about to break into chaos. It's grueling otherwise it's not an adventure!According to reports, the protection officers are riding in the enduro along with the princes ( as are some of their friends, I'm sure I recognised Guy Pelly in one of the photos) Also the other bikers are the 'weekend warrior' who are out for a taste of adventure. Reading one blog a rider has spent 2 years raising his target of 20,000 pounds for charity and for his adventure. They take a week's holiday and go to Africa, Harry's been given leave and William is between placements as he's been spending the last few months doing various placements in the armed forces, including a stint at Whitehall.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

So no tax money is being spent and you are saying they are going without government paid security? Oh well wonders never cease!
Also it sounds as though it is is going to be as safe as a charity ball but more effective. The money raised by them taking part sounds fine but to most people it sounds as though they are just out to have a good time. Army officers are army officers, but I suppose the army is more of a pastime for them than a real career.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
------snipped It's grueling otherwise it's not an adventure!According to reports, the protection officers are riding in the enduro along with the princes ( as are some of their friends, I'm sure I recognised Guy Pelly in one of the photos) Also the other bikers are the 'weekend warrior' who are out for a taste of adventure.
According to William, it is an adventure.
Quote:
because it's a mixture of adventure and charity
The Press Association: Princes in S Africa motorbike trek

I can find nothing in any of the articles to suggest that their friends are also taking part or that the protection officers, (2 each, only allowed to work 8 hours each, which as with Beatrice, means they would have to be relieved) are traveling on bikes.

The fact remains that William & Harry are paid taxpayers money as members of the armed service. William, whether he is prancing about with the SAS or working at the MOD, he receives an officers salary from the army, and he is doing nothing to earn it. The same goes for Harry, who seems to be on permanent leave.

Not good for the image of the royal family!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
So no tax money is being spent and you are saying they are going without government paid security? Oh well wonders never cease!
Also it sounds as though it is is going to be as safe as a charity ball but more effective. The money raised by them taking part sounds fine but to most people it sounds as though they are just out to have a good time. Army officers are army officers, but I suppose the army is more of a pastime for them than a real career.
Where on earth did you get the 'no tax money being spent' I didn't even mention payment of security officers!
And yes they probably would raise more money than a charity ball, considering the costs involved in hosting one and why few organisations even have charity balls anymore to raise money!

Insulting them as army officers and going on this trek to raise money, then you also insult all the other people who have spent the past year raising money to participate in this event. You don't think that the teachers, nurses, store workers, managers, electricians, plumbers, etc take their careers seriously they're not 'real careers' since they are prepared to go on a trek once a year ( some participants have been before) to raise money for charities they consider worthwhile and at the same time add some camaraderie and adventure to their lives!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Courtier

There's been extensive coverage in various media and I don't bother to keep links. Shaun Davy has been named as being part of the princes' group, also another friend whose name I didn't recognise. ( in pictures I thought I recognised Guy Pelly) The news reports did say that the protection officers were going to be part of the group on bikes.

Saying Harry's been on permanent leave is somewhat unfair as he's been in Canada with his regiment on exercises since late August and came back 2 weeks ago for his god-father's memorial service, that was in the media as well! ( Well behaved in a bar in Calgary, much to the disappointment of the press!) Keeping track of Harry he had 3 week's leave when he came back from Afghanistan in March ( same as other returning British service personnel) then early August holiday so 2 weeks leave and now this, hardly permanent leave!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Keeping track of Harry he had 3 week's leave when he came back from Afghanistan in March ( same as other returning British service personnel) then early August holiday so 2 weeks leave and now this, hardly permanent leave!
But Charlotte, you know that the "details" are irrelevant.

The papers, and not a few posters on this forum have griped about them not doing any real charity work and when they do . . . . well then they are obviously skiving off from their Military careers. Either way thay con't win for losing.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Where on earth did you get the 'no tax money being spent' I didn't even mention payment of security officers!
And yes they probably would raise more money than a charity ball, considering the costs involved in hosting one and why few organisations even have charity balls anymore to raise money!

Insulting them as army officers and going on this trek to raise money, then you also insult all the other people who have spent the past year raising money to participate in this event. You don't think that the teachers, nurses, store workers, managers, electricians, plumbers, etc take their careers seriously they're not 'real careers' since they are prepared to go on a trek once a year ( some participants have been before) to raise money for charities they consider worthwhile and at the same time add some camaraderie and adventure to their lives!

Me insulting army officers? That would certainly be barking up the wrong tree with me. Career Army officers I definitely know something about.
Well aren´t they lucky they can manage leave from the army and have a nice little adventure with their friends?
I hope that the security guards that have to go and have to keep up with them and probably have no choice in the matter - also have a nice little adventure.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I can find nothing in any of the articles to suggest that their friends are also taking part or that the protection officers, (2 each, only allowed to work 8 hours each, which as with Beatrice, means they would have to be relieved) are traveling on bikes.
Here's the relevant quote

Quote:
The princes will travel in a small group of 10 riders - which includes their bodyguards and a couple of close friends - including Shaun Davy, the brother of Harry 's girlfriend Chelsy, and schoolmate Tom Inskip - meeting up with their fellow competitors to compare bruises and exchange stories each night.
from
Into the wild: Princes William and Harry begin their gruelling and dangerous South African charity bike trek | Mail Online
Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Me insulting army officers? That would certainly be barking up the wrong tree with me. Career Army officers I definitely know something about.
Well aren´t they lucky they can manage leave from the army and have a nice little adventure with their friends?
I hope that the security guards that have to go and have to keep up with them and probably have no choice in the matter - also have a nice little adventure.
And don't forget the 100,000 pounds going to Sentebale this year and the future approx 300,000 pounds. Check out the Sentebale site to see what projects this money funds.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Deduct the security officers´ pay from that, also the money paid in wages to the Princes etc etc. They were left such large funds by their mother they should just donate the money from that, wasn´t William rumoured to offer to pay his girlfriends security a little while back, that way the charity would get the money and they could have their fun in the army doing what they are paid for. I am sure they will get enough thrills and bruises doing that.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Presuming the Mail is correct about their bike riding protection officers, (it would be a unusual but...) that still doesn't answer the cost to taxpayers, for their protection officers, and I rather think that the Mail, would be the first to shout that Guy Pelly was there. It also begs the question of whether the extra training required for officers carrying guns whilst on a motorbike was met by the taxpayer for this trip. If they do have 4 or 5 friends with them, it makes it more of a jolly jaunt really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Saying Harry's been on permanent leave is somewhat unfair as he's been in Canada with his regiment on exercises since late August and came back 2 weeks ago for his god-father's memorial service, that was in the media as well! ( Well behaved in a bar in Calgary, much to the disappointment of the press!) Keeping track of Harry he had 3 week's leave when he came back from Afghanistan in March ( same as other returning British service personnel) then early August holiday so 2 weeks leave and now this, hardly permanent leave!
Yes he had 5 weeks leave and then what, that a lot of time between March and now. Some of his regiment went out to Canada on training but what has he actually done, what is he going to do? He can't go out to a war zone again, so what he is just going to carry on training and/or having adventures with his pals?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Royal Highness

IMO this motorbike trip is nothing more than an adventure holiday for the two princes and their friends, and also a big media event.

Okay it´s a good thing that some charities will get a lot of money ... but on the other hand, how much costs the whole trip?

This kind of (charity)event seems to be suitable for today´s lifestyle of William and Harry but is it also good for today´s picture of the royal family?

I would like to see them more down to earth in any way!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

See now I'm just completely confused, I don't know personally I think the Trek is a great idea and I don't see it as just a holiday, but maybe it's just me.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I don't see any major problems with it, either. They're doing something they like and raising money for good causes. I think that the best charity work happens when you link together a cause you really care about and an activity that you like to do.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 10-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

id love to have done it i comend them!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ella Kay, RoyalFan and Ghost you are missing the point. No one is worried that the young men are having adventures or that some money will go to charity, it is that the British tax payers are
paying them to be in the Army and they are taking their security officers (paid by the tax payer) on what is really just an adventure holiday to enjoy themselves, do you really believe that they are just thinking about the charity? They are turning into, or at least give the impression that they are, just two boys with too much money and too much energy wanting to have fun, who can because they are princes join the army but come and go and do as they please while they are in it. In the meantime their comrades who did join up at the same time are out fighting a warand some of them dying. The image they are giving is wrong.