The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I don't think this has been posted I apologize if it has, I thought this was quite nice of William. Bike-trek William rescues girl rider ]Princess Diana Remembered
Hands up everyone who was creeped out by the superimposing of our Princely hero over ghost pictures of his deceased mother. The implication being that it is the spirit of his dead mother that prompted this act of kindness, not any sort of instinctive decency in William himself.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Maybe you missed the must-have book "Diana Under the Halo" which, to quote from the website, "looks at Princess Diana's Life in the 'After Life'" and is given a 5-star rating (!!). Then there's "Nelson, Hitler and Diana" [that's Admiral Horatio Nelson, of Battle of Trafalgar fame] which "looks at their backgrounds and early experiences".

Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Majesty

OK you have just officially"outcreeped" me!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

For some reason I kept thinking you were referring to my picture of Diana, I kept reading "ghost's picture"
Old 11-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

I'm really surprised by how little coverage there is of the end of the biking trip, besides the one article in Telegraph. Does anyone know how much the group raised for the charities?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not very good press for Prince William and charity today.

Charity scandal of spendthrift princes - mirror.co.uk
Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Not very good press for Prince William and charity today.

Charity scandal of spendthrift princes - mirror.co.uk
What with this and the article showing how he deceived his RAF bosses, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-flights.html makes you wonder what next. From the Mirror,
Quote:
It means that from each prince, the three charities benefiting from the ride banked just Ģ500 apiece – the same as the cost of a bottle of Cristal champagne at one of the princes’ favourite clubs.
At the same time, the taxpayer had to foot the bill of around Ģ30,000 – plus salaries – for six members of the Royal Protection Squad to guard the princes round the clock on the ride
Perhaps next time they can donate, from their own bank accounts the Ģ30,000 + 6 x pro rata salaries + overseas payments Still, they had a good time, while wounded comrades, returning from the front have to survive on pence - Injured veterans are being refused benefits and are ending up living in poverty because of a loophole in benefit rules, the BBC has learned. BBC NEWS | UK | Injured veterans denied benefits
Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

With all this coming out I fear for the future of the monarchy. I have been very attentive to the plight of the Ghurkas too.
No poppies at the palace? Work place? I havenīt even bothered to read this yet, it is all too depressing.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Maybe they didn't earn much money, but just the publicity for the causes that the most famous princes in the world can bring to any cause is worth something in its own right. If just a few more people are aware of the issues, progress was made. And maybe those people will research further into the charities and volunteer or donate. The possibilities are great.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am interested, what did they get the publicity for? What were the causes? I am afraid in all this brouhaha I didnīt notice. What charities? Perhaps you could give a list so that all the admirers of the Princesī bike riding prowess can send their money.
That the Princes didnīt give much seems to be beside the point. They gave their famous faces and had a wonderful time while doing so. Bravo!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Majesty

There's a high entry fee for this event. Perhaps that's what's considered the fund-raising.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Which charities received the Ģ500 each from these two?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thatīs what I would like to know Sky?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Wait this is going to sound dumb how do you raise money for the Trek, like do you donate yourself or do you get it some other way. I know that sounds dumb but I was just wondering.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Wait this is going to sound dumb how do you raise money for the Trek, like do you donate yourself or do you get it some other way. I know that sounds dumb but I was just wondering.
Sponsorship normally, ie you get your friends to agree to donate ĢX per mile or on completion.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh ok I understand now thank you Skydragon^
Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Courtier

The Enduro Africa charity ride, the charities supported by this ride this year were UNICEF, Nelson Mandela's Children's Fund and Sentebale.

Enduro Africa trek will run again in following years, the profile given to it this year means that more people are aware of it and therefore ride and raise money for the various charities it supports. Keen bikers are the ones who would do something like this and they are the ones who have been made aware of this trek and fundraising opportunity.

Enduro Africa - the ride for life - Home You can read about what charities have been supported and how the trek works. Here's a blog from one of the participants this year. It gives people an idea how much money participants try to raise and how they do it. Enduro Africa 2008
There were actually 2 treks, William and Harry did the second one.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Keen bikers are the ones who would do something like this and they are the ones who have been made aware of this trek and fundraising opportunity.
Keen motorcycle riders did not need William or Harry to participate in order to bring it to their attention, keen bikers are unlikely to take part in such a thing anyway.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Keen motorcycle riders did not need William or Harry to participate in order to bring it to their attention
Fair enough, but the presence of the boys gets events like ths far more publicity than they would other wise have got, and helps raise awareness of the issues facing the region!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

The majority of motorcyclists already knew about these events, the only publicity seems to be how happy they are to spend other peoples money and as for the issues facing the region, again, they got lost in the blooming good time aspect for our adventurers.

Since the latest revelations regarding cost to us for their little jaunt, the issues have been buried even deeper. If they really want to raise money, do a little for charity, how about the Great North Bike Ride, The Toy Run, Bikes for Flights, but they are all held in good old rainy Britain.