Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really surprised by the voting.

I really think William will become an Earl, but if he is named a Duke, I think it will be Clarence. Clarence is the only original royal dukedom created between 1337 and 1385 presently not being used (the others being York, Cornwall, Lancaster and Gloucester). It was last used for the son of the Prince of Wales - notice the similarities? And the previous creation was for the future King William!!!!

But my bet still lies on William being named an Earl, similar to Prince Edward.

Yes, Prince Albert Victor was made Duke of Clarence and Avondale, but then he died. It hasn't been used since. There might be a reason for that, regardless of the fact that William IV was also Duke of Clarence at one point. Same with the name "John" in the BRF -- it's bad luck, so it's not used. Diana had wanted to name her eldest son after her father (whose name was John), but was dissuaded from doing so for that very reason. Children with the name John die young, and it's just not done.

So because of a death associated with that title, I don't think it would be used.

I'm not sure that the BRF are all that much governed by superstition. You would probably find examples of bad luck or early death associated with any name or title. You would think the Abdication might have set up some taboos, but the names Edward and David have both been used in the BRF since then.

Personally I would love to see Clarence brought back, it would be quite appropriate for PW.

The only taboo that I think continues from the abdication is that one, you'll never see it happen again and two, you won't see anyone named Duke of Windsor ever again either.

I was waiting for someone to cotton on to the fact that the last King William was Duke of Clarence before he became King, so wouldn't it be fitting for the next King William to be Duke of Clarence aswell? Dont forget the Clarence House is also where William has his current official London residence.

F

Perhaps there is an interesting way forward; I am only speculating of course, but I am drawing out my thoughts as follows: the Queen might well see fit to announce that at the present time she is not going to grant William a Royal Dukedom, [which would leave the way forward to do so at some later date] and therefore on this basis, Catherine would be formally styled Princess William BUT that informally she would be known as 'Princess Catherine' rather in the manner that the late Duchess of Gloucester was styled 'Princess Alice' even though she was not formally
created a Princess in her own right. The Queen did agree to Princess Alice being styled in this way, because she did not want to be styled as Her Royal Highness the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester following the death of her husband...

Let's see what happens on Friday.....

Alex

I think that this could work but I believe that things would be neater for their children if William had a Dukedom /Earldom of his own. I personally believe that LPs will be issued and make their children HRH - just like the Queen's father did for her children. If this does happen , then it would be better if William is Duke/Earl of X and the children Prince/Princess of X, instead of all of them (William , Catherine and children), plus Harry, being "of Wales" (since their father would have no other designation to use) because well, I feel that there would be too many Waleses in the country :cool:

I was waiting for someone to cotton on to the fact that the last King William was Duke of Clarence before he became King, so wouldn't it be fitting for the next King William to be Duke of Clarence aswell? Dont forget the Clarence House is also where William has his current official London residence.

Yes, all of those things. So the last Duke of Clarence died, well hey ho, so does everyone.

I would prefer that they become, TRH, Prince William and Princess William of Wales than William becoming a Duke or an Earl. And at least the people will have the Princess that they want not a Duchess or something else.

William can refuse a Duke title and I hope he does if that is what he is offered on Friday.

The only taboo that I think continues from the abdication is that one, you'll never see it happen again and two, you won't see anyone named Duke of Windsor ever again either.

Side note: I do agree with this, but I also think that Harry would be an excellent candidate for Duke of Windsor one day if they ever do decide to bring it back. Harry's got the personality to carry it off and banish all the negative connotations, IMO. :flowers:

Wait a minute, I'm confused. If the queen gives Will a dukedom does that mean he will no longer be referred to as HRH Prince William?

Wait a minute, I'm confused. If the queen gives Will a dukedom does that mean he will no longer be referred to as HRH Prince William?

Correct. He'll still HRH Prince William, only much like his uncles, he'll be referred to by his ducal title. For example, if he and Catherine were to attend an event, they wouldn't be called TRH Prince and Princess William of Wales, Duke and Duchess of X, they'd just TRH, the Duke and Duchess of X.

You don't lose titles, you gain them. Only difference is, you're not called the former title anymore.

I would prefer that they become, TRH, Prince William and Princess William of Wales than William becoming a Duke or an Earl. And at least the people will have the Princess that they want not a Duchess or something else.

William can refuse a Duke title and I hope he does if that is what he is offered on Friday.

William can refuse the offer of a peerage of course (Princess Anne's first husband did), but I doubt he would, unless it was discussed with the Queen ahead of time not to even offer one.

Also, Catherine will still be a princess even if William is offered a peerage. She'll be a princess and a duchess/countess by marriage, just like her aunts-in-law. She will just be referred to by her ducal title rather than the princely title. She would be HRH Princess William of Wales, Duchess/Countess of X. When addressed or discussed or otherwise introduced somewhere, she'd be HRH The Duchess of X. Just like her stepmother-in-law is HRH The Princess Charles, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, etc., she's always referred to as The Duchess of Cornwall. Doesn't mean she's not a princess, because she is.

Sister Morphine said:
Correct. He'll still HRH Prince William, only much like his uncles, he'll be referred to by his ducal title. For example, if he and Catherine were to attend an event, they wouldn't be called TRH Prince and Princess William of Wales, Duke and Duchess of X, they'd just TRH, the Duke and Duchess of X.

You don't lose titles, you gain them. Only difference is, you're not called the former title anymore.

Thanks SM:flowers:
Wow I didn't know that. Now I'm not so sure about him getting a title. I'm so used to calling him Prince William of Wales!

What then happens when Charles is king...will they still be referred by their ducal title or with it go back to HRH Prince William?

Wow I didn't know that. Now I'm not so sure about him getting a title. I'm so used to calling him Prince William of Wales!

What then happens when Charles is king...will they still be referred by their ducal title or with it go back to HRH Prince William?

When Charles is King, he'll be HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, so and so forth. Up to the time when or if he is invested as The Prince of Wales, he and Catherine would be TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall or TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall & X if William was given a dukedom on his wedding day. Once William is invested as The Prince of Wales, they would be TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales.

The next time you would see William's name in his title, the same as Catherine, is when they are sovereign and consort.

Nope. Upon his father ascending to the Throne, Prince William will instantly become Duke of Cornall, and would keep any previous Dukedom. He'd probably be referred to as Duke of Cornwall and X (if he get a Dukedom for his wedding). Catherine would also be referred to as Duchess of Cornwall and X Then if King Charles make Prince William the Prince of Wales, then he'd be called The Prince of Wales, as that's even higher rank than Duke of Cornwall. Catherine would become The Princess of Wales as well, in addition to all the other titles Prince William receives.

Sister Morphine said:
When Charles is King, he'll be HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, so and so forth. Up to the time when or if he is invested as The Prince of Wales, he and Catherine would be TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall or TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall & X if William was given a dukedom on his wedding day. Once William is invested as The Prince of Wales, they would be TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales.

The next time you would see William's name in his title, the same as Catherine, is when they are sovereign and consort.

Thank you:) So does Williams titles effect Harry? For example if William gets a dukedom will Harry still be referred to as Prince Harry? Bear with me, I'm just wondering if this effects him at all.

So when are we going to find out? I assumed it would be announced the morning of the wedding, but I just noticed the statement from Buckingham Palace in this article on the Queen's visit to Cambridge:

The suggestion that Prince William and his bride will be given the titles Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is only speculation at present. If there is any announcement, it will be after the royal wedding. (Emphasis mine)
Does this mean we'll be waiting for a while longer to find out if William is getting a new title? :bang:

Thank you:) So does Williams titles effect Harry? For example if William gets a dukedom will Harry still be referred to as Prince Harry? Bear with me, I'm just wondering if this effects him at all.

Nope. Charles' titles don't affect Andrew or Edward, so any titles William receives won't affect Harry. William could become the Duke of 12 different places; Harry will still be HRH Prince Harry of Wales. When Charles becomes King, he'll be HRH The Prince Henry. Titles only affect spouses and children, not siblings.

So when are we going to find out? I assumed it would be announced the morning of the wedding, but I just noticed the statement from Buckingham Palace in this article on the Queen's visit to Cambridge:

Does this mean we'll be waiting for a while longer to find out if William is getting a new title? :bang:

That would certainly be different to what happened with Andrew and Edward as their titles were announced on the morning of their weddings so that as they exited the church the couples were referred to as: TRH The Duke and Duchess of York and TRH the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

That would certainly be different to what happened with Andrew and Edward as their titles were announced on the morning of their weddings so that as they exited the church the couples were referred to as: TRH The Duke and Duchess of York and TRH the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Maybe what they meant is they'll announce AS the couple walk out of the church. That meets the definition of "after the royal wedding". :)

Sister Morphine said:
Nope. Charles' titles don't affect Andrew or Edward, so any titles William receives won't affect Harry. William could become the Duke of 12 different places; Harry will still be HRH Prince Harry of Wales. When Charles becomes King, he'll be HRH The Prince Henry. Titles only affect spouses and children, not siblings.

Wills and Kate's children will be referred to as "Lord and Lady" if Will receives dukedom then?

How about HM's timely visit to 'Cambridge'.

Certainly the fave on this forum.

ada said:
How about HM's timely visit to 'Cambridge'.

Certainly the fave on this forum.

See Thena's post

Thena said:
So when are we going to find out? I assumed it would be announced the morning of the wedding, but I just noticed the statement from Buckingham Palace in this article on the Queen's visit to Cambridge

''But a spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace said: “The suggestion that Prince William and his bride will be given the titles Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is only speculation at present. If there is any announcement, it will be after the royal wedding.”:

Last edited:
Wills and Kate's children will be referred to as "Lord and Lady" if Will receives dukedom then?

Under the exiting LPs all except the eldest son will be Lord and Lady.

The eldest son will be HRH Prince xxxx as he would be the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales.

Of course new LPs could be issued to change this fact.

Yes, with the exception of their eldest son. According to Letters Patent issued in 1917 by George V, the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is afforded a princely status. All other children, sons and daughters alike, will be Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor, carrying that surname as they are descendants of the Queen that do not have a princely status.

Once Charles is King, they will automatically carry the HRH Prince/Princess X of Y, as grandchildren of the monarch in the male line. They will initially carry the titular designation of Cornwall (or Cornwall & ____) until such a time as William is created the Prince of Wales, at which point they would have Wales, like their father and uncle did.

Maybe what they meant is they'll announce AS the couple walk out of the church. That meets the definition of "after the royal wedding". :)

I don't think so. In my opinion, it means they will announce The Queen has agreed her style will be "HRH Princess Catherine" after all.

I don't think so. In my opinion, it means they will announce The Queen has agreed her style will be "HRH Princess Catherine" after all.

Perhaps it will be announced after the couple leave the registry after signing the book? They then would bow and curtsy to the Queen as the new (whatever titles they are endowed with).

I am really happy that this wedding is going to hold a lot of surprises for all of us!

With Andrew and Edward, The Queen issued Letters Patent creating them Peers the morning of their weddings. Doing so means their wives are marrying a Duke and an Earl. I cannot imagine William would be any different, which leads me to think he will not be created a Peer, but remain HRH Prince William of Wales.

Announcing something after the wedding is consistent with the notion of stating with her marriage, Catherine had become HRH Princess William of Wales, but permitted the style of Princess Catherine.

branchg said:
With Andrew and Edward, The Queen issued Letters Patent creating them Peers the morning of their weddings. Doing so means their wives are marrying a Duke and an Earl. I cannot imagine William would be any different, which leads me to think he will not be created a Peer, but remain HRH Prince William of Wales.

I agree with this part.....

Has anyone thought about the idea that the queen could create a Welsh title for William with a reminder to all firstborn sons (or heirs apparent) of a Prince of Wales? I thought about it when I read that two Welsh hymns will be sung at the wedding service - obviously William and Catherine really love Wales and maybe this is a historic chance to give the Welsh the feeling that the Prince of Wales is really "their" prince and not longer the title of the victorious invader's monarch's heir.

What about : Duke and Duchess of Kendal? Kendal was given to Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales, daughter of King George IV. She died in childbirth aged 21. Had she lived, she would have been Queen Charlotte I, instead of her cousin Queen Victoria I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom