Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if another possibility would be for William to take (by courtesy) one of Charles' lesser titles? There would still be the problem of what Harry is called when he gets married. But might it be that William and Kate are called 'Earl and Countess of Chester', or 'Earl and Countess of Carrick'? If it wasn't for Camalia using the title 'Duchess of Cornwall', William and Kate could have even taken that style, courtesy of Charles, without actually being named Duke. I doubt it will happen, but I guess technically it is a possibility.

The problem is that Charles actually uses his other titles at appropriate times whereas most courtesy titles aren't used except by the heir.

The other thing is that the titles Charles holds aren't actually inheritable in the normal course of events.

William will get them - yes - but only if Charles becomes King.

Now a normal title would pass to the eldest son whenever the father died but for the titles Charles holds William would only get them when his father becomes King and not when he dies and thus they don't fit the concept of 'courtesty' titles.

The better title, in that regard, would be Baron Greenwich as William is 2nd in line to the Edinburgh title but doesn't use the Greenwhich style because he is an HRH in his own right.

If it wasn't for Camalia using the title 'Duchess of Cornwall', William and Kate could have even taken that style, courtesy of Charles, without actually being named Duke. I doubt it will happen, but I guess technically it is a possibility.

It is impossible for William to be styled as the Duke of Cornwall as he is in fact not, the Duke of Cornwall. We've already had the discussion here about what needs to happen in order for you to become the Duke of Cornwall, and at this moment William does not fulfill any of those requirements. He is not the eldest son of the sovereign, nor is he the sovereign's heir. That would be Charles.

So no, William and Catherine cannot be made the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

Last edited:
It is impossible for William to be styled as the Duke of Cornwall as he is in fact not, the Duke of Cornwall. We've already had the discussion here about what needs to happen in order for you to become the Duke of Cornwall, and at this moment William does not fulfill any of those requirements. He is not the eldest son of the sovereign, nor is he the sovereign's heir. That would be Charles.

So no, William and Catherine cannot be made the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

Yes I know.

Try reading my post a few more times and see if you can figure out my meaning. I suspect if you read it carefully, you will be able to understand my idea, which is different than the idea you are addressing.

Last edited:
The problem is that Charles actually uses his other titles at appropriate times whereas most courtesy titles aren't used except by the heir.

The other thing is that the titles Charles holds aren't actually inheritable in the normal course of events.

William will get them - yes - but only if Charles becomes King.

Now a normal title would pass to the eldest son whenever the father died but for the titles Charles holds William would only get them when his father becomes King and not when he dies and thus they don't fit the concept of 'courtesty' titles.

The better title, in that regard, would be Baron Greenwich as William is 2nd in line to the Edinburgh title but doesn't use the Greenwhich style because he is an HRH in his own right.

Why would the Duke of Cornwall occassionally use his courtesy titles, while the Duke of Kent would not? I realize this is a bit off track, but I am curious.

I figured it would not work since as you say they are not dukedoms that you inherit, but it was a thought that popped into my mind.

Thanks for your response.

Actually no one knows what the queen has decided. I am hoping that she shocks all of you and allows Kate to become Her Royal Highness, Princess Catherine of Wales. it is not the norm BUT the queen can allow it. I hope she does just due to the fact that most of you are so sure she will not and you all don't want her to have it. That is why I hope the queen grants this.

Last edited:
Actually none one knows what the queen has decided. I am hoping that she shocks all of you and allows Kate to become Her Royal Highness, Princess Catherine of Wales. it is not the norm BUT the queen can allow it. I hope she does just due to the fact that most of you are so sure she will not and you all don't want her to have it. That is why I hope the queen grants this.

Or, the Queen could allow her to be called 'Her Highest Royal Majesty the exalted Wife of the Probably Future King, so we might as well start calling you Queen Katie now'.

That would REALLY Surprise and shock everyone!! HaHa!

Actually none one knows what the queen has decided. I am hoping that she shocks all of you and allows Kate to become Her Royal Highness, Princess Catherine of Wales. it is not the norm BUT the queen can allow it. I hope she does just due to the fact that most of you are so sure she will not and you all don't want her to have it. That is why I hope the queen grants this.

There's no reason for it, and that is why it won't happen. Simples.

American Observer7 said:

NOT...GOING...TO...HAPPEN...

She didn't even create her daughters in law princesses in their own right so why would she do it for Catherine.

I just read reports that the Queen will be giving William and Kate permission to keep low profiles for the first two years of their marriage. So I doubt they will get a grand title.

Its not a question of no one here doesn't want her to have it. This is up to Queen Elizabeth. The Queen is going to do what's fair and right. I really feel she will not do something for Catherine ,she didn't do for her daughters-in-law.

Or, the Queen could allow her to be called 'Her Highest Royal Majesty the exalted Wife of the Probably Future King, so we might as well start calling you Queen Katie now'.

That would REALLY Surprise and shock everyone!! HaHa!

OMG! :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Would someone explain how not having a ducal title will assist His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, Counsellor of State, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Master of Arts, Bencher of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple, Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society, Honorary Canadian Ranger, Royal Navy Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Navy Submarine Service, Royal Navy Commodore-in-Chief of Scotland, Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Coningsby, Colonel of the Regiment Irish Guards, President of BAFTA, President of The National Football Association (did I miss anything?) and Catherine in keeping "low profiles"?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Coningsbyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_William_of_Wales#cite_note-78

If William is invested as The Prince of Wales when Charles is King, then Catherine will automatically become The Princess of Wales.

Correct your knowledge. I hope that William will be king instead of Charles. Charles retractable.

Correct your knowledge. I hope that William will be king instead of Charles. Charles retractable.

I'm not sure what this means. While I no doubt believe there are people who would rather William skip Charles in the order of succession given the age that it's probable Charles will begin his reign, but that's just not a possibility. Charles will be king, even if it's for three years or something. Then William will become King when his father dies.

Yes I know.

Try reading my post a few more times and see if you can figure out my meaning. I suspect if you read it carefully, you will be able to understand my idea, which is different than the idea you are addressing.

I read it. However as someone else explained to you, Charles' titles cannot be doled out like that -- for example, The Earl of Wessex's son is styled as Viscount Severn. That is a courtesy title for his eldest son. None of Charles' titles can be used in that manner. Charles' titles are to be used solely by the heir to the throne and no other, which means that none of his other titles can be given to his eldest son to be used as courtesy titles.

As for your asking about why Charles uses his other titles in some instances but someone like the Duke of Kent does not, the Duke's titles can be inherited, whereas Charles' cannot. So the Duke's eldest son carries the courtesy title "Earl of St. Andrews". His eldest son is styled as "Baron Downpatrick". When the present Duke of Kent dies, his eldest son will be His Grace, The Duke of Kent and his eldest son will become His Grace, The Earl of St. Andrews. Charles uses those titles, depending on where in the realm he is.

Last edited:
If Prince William didn't want a ducal title, wouldn't it make more sense for Buckingham Palace to announce such news earlier instead of so close to the wedding day so that it doesn't take away from the wedding? I think not giving a title/not wanting a title would create some unnecessary debate or speculation over the decision. I would rather get that out of the way so that it doesn't cut into media coverage of the event itself.

I think it would be extra meaningful for Prince William to receive a title from his grandmother. I would discourage a delay because she is getting older. Grant it she may live for quite a few more years, but why take the chance? William will receive new titles from his father later on, but it would be nice to see him receive a title from his grandmother as well.

4 days till we will all be in the Know...can't wait.......

Sister Morphine:

The style "His/Your Grace" is limited to dukes. The Earl of St. Andrews, like other earls, is referred to/addressed as "His/Your Lordship" or "My Lord."

Actually no one knows what the queen has decided. I am hoping that she shocks all of you and allows Kate to become Her Royal Highness, Princess Catherine of Wales. it is not the norm BUT the queen can allow it. I hope she does just due to the fact that most of you are so sure she will not and you all don't want her to have it. That is why I hope the queen grants this.

No need to get riled up. Most of us just can't see it happening. As you say, it could happen...but I doubt it.

There's a difference between saying it won't happen because there's no precedence for it, and saying it won't happen because we don't think she should have it because we hate her or something. No one here has said the latter, and it would be nice if you didn't accuse people of either saying it or thinking it, when no one has. Would it be nice if she made Catherine a princess in her own right? Yes, I think it would be. That doesn't mean however, that I believe the Queen will buck centuries of precedent and do something that no other sovereign that I can recall, has ever done before. Her Majesty doesn't strike me as that kind of monarch.

Charles will be king, even if it's for three years or something. Then William will become King when his father dies.

I agree with you. Charles has been "in training" to be monarch since his birth. I do not feel that HM the Queen will recommend Charles not be her heir and I do not think William would want to become King when his grandmother dies.

There is really no reason why Charles should not become King.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let's take a look at her past and present daughters-in-law:

1. Diana. Diana married The Prince of Wales, and as such became The Princess of Wales. When they divorced, she was allowed to be titled Princess Diana in keeping with her status as the mother of the second and third in line to the throne.

2. Sarah. Sarah married Andrew who was given and accepted the title of the Duke of York. If he declined the title, then there may or may not have been an issue as to what Sarah would have been comfortable with being styled. However, it was obviously never an issue. Andrew was already shoved further down the list of succession with the births of William and Harry.

3. Camilla: Camilla is already The Princess of Wales and has many other titles to go with it as the second wife The Prince of Wales. She chose to be styled Duchess of Cornwall. She will more than likely be Queen Consort when Charles ascends the throne.

So that takes care of the list of daughters-in-laws. Since there are no other male heirs in of succession other than William and Harry of the grandchildren, and only William and his heirs will be in direct line of succession, if she was going to make that exception it would be due to William asking if Catherine could use the style of Princess Catherine instead of Princess William, just as Diana was allowed the title of Princess Diana after her divorce. This would not require new letters patent. In consideration of his position as second in line, and do to her remaining years it is possible she would allow it.

According to me, Diana was never allowed the title of Princess Diana after her divorce. She was 'simply' Diana, Princess of Wales thereafter. Only without the HRH.

But we digress and I don't think that Zonk should have to interfere once again.

Only 4 days left until we know whether he will receive a title, it's getting very exciting!

You didn't mention the Countess of Wessex.

I did actually.....for some reason that paragraph is missing from the post. I wonder if I hit something prior to posting it. :sad:

Last edited:
Please note that several off topic posts relating to opinions about Camilla, the triangle that people refuse to move on from, andCharles dying before he becomes King have been deleted.

Please stay on topic.

Well let's take a look at her past and present daughters-in-law:

1. Diana. Diana married The Prince of Wales, and as such became The Princess of Wales. When they divorced, she was allowed to be titled Princess Diana in keeping with her status as the mother of the second and third in line to the throne.

2. Sarah. Sarah married Andrew who was given and accepted the title of the Duke of York. If he declined the title, then there may or may not have been an issue as to what Sarah would have been comfortable with being styled. However, it was obviously never an issue. Andrew was already shoved further down the list of succession with the births of William and Harry.

3. Camilla: Camilla is already The Princess of Wales and has many other titles to go with it as the second wife The Prince of Wales. She chose to be styled Duchess of Cornwall. She will more than likely be Queen Consort when Charles ascends the throne.

So that takes care of the list of daughters-in-laws. Since there are no other male heirs in of succession other than William and Harry of the grandchildren, and only William and his heirs will be in direct line of succession, if she was going to make that exception it would be due to William asking if Catherine could use the style of Princess Catherine instead of Princess William, just as Diana was allowed the title of Princess Diana after her divorce. This would not require new letters patent. In consideration of his position as second in line, and do to her remaining years it is possible she would allow it.

You missed one important Daughter-in-law: Sophie, Countess of Wessex. And in fact I think that is a model that will be followed with Kate and William. They want to have a some what normal life. They want to stay out of the spotlight. They also want a title, and will become Duke at a later time. So they are presently Earl and Countess.

William will be made an Earl on Friday. It is too bad 'Earl of St. Andrews' is already being used. I suspect there is no way the Queen could give him another Earl, and then give William the Earl of St. Andrews. That would have been 'romantic'.

I think it may be very possible The Queen will create him The Earl of Cambridge and Viscount Bucklebury.

BTW, Diana was NOT EVER styled "Princess Diana," during or after the marriage. She was, of course, The Princess of Wales during her marriage. Upon her divorce, she was styled "Diana, Princess of Wales" and without the HRH.

You missed one important Daughter-in-law: Sophie, Countess of Wessex. And in fact I think that is a model that will be followed with Kate and William. They want to have a some what normal life. They want to stay out of the spotlight. They also want a title, and will become Duke at a later time. So they are presently Earl and Countess.

William will be made an Earl on Friday. It is too bad 'Earl of St. Andrews' is already being used. I suspect there is no way the Queen could give him another Earl, and then give William the Earl of St. Andrews. That would have been 'romantic'.

Yes, that Sophie was left out was already been pointed out, however it was not intentional as I pointed out.

I'm sorry, has BP released their title? Unless they have, you have no idea what their title will be Friday. No one does except those that were involved with the decision. Since none of us would be in that party, then it's really all speculation.....correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom