Prince William and Catherine Middleton Possible Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?

• Duke of Clarence

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Duke of Cambridge

Votes: 68 44.4%
  • Duke of Sussex

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Duke of Windsor

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Duke of Kendall

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Earl of Something

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If William were given a title, when would he get it? A while before the wedding, shortly before, the day of, after?

If HM decides to give him a title for his wedding, he will recieve it the day he marries. If she decides to wait, and allow Charles to give his son a title, it'll be a while longer.

If HM decides to give him a title for his wedding, he will recieve it the day he marries. If she decides to wait, and allow Charles to give his son a title, it'll be a while longer.

William will likely receive his Peerage the morning of his wedding. If not granted a Peerage then, he will automatically assume all of the titles held by the eldest son and heir the moment Charles becomes King (Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince & Great Steward of Scotland).

During the current reign the Queen has tended to give titles on the morning of the wedding e.g. Andrew and Edward. She was later than that with Lord Snowdon and waited until Margaret was pregnant with Lord Linley.

In earlier reigns titles didn't always wait until the wedding but as the Queen hasn't already given William a title I would expect he will get a title on the morning of the 29th April.

I do expect him to get a title as I don't think the royal family would like to see HRH Princess William of Wales appearing in the Court Circular and other official documents and officially that would be her name but if William is created Duke of xxxx then Kate would be HRH The Duchess of xxxx (no name in the official designation of course).

Yes, sadly that's true in the States, too.
Please, don't generalize. I am a member of the US press and I take great pride, as does every other journalist I know, in getting things correct, even if it means lengthy research. I can cringe when I read articles from other reporters where it's clear they haven't done their homework, but that's not all of us and not most of us, actually.
Covering royalty in the US is not a high priorty outside of entertainment purposes, but still, it's not difficult for reporters to check their facts for their stories. And should any reporters I know need facts for any royal stories, I'll point them in this direction.

During the current reign the Queen has tended to give titles on the morning of the wedding e.g. Andrew and Edward. She was later than that with Lord Snowdon and waited until Margaret was pregnant with Lord Linley.

In earlier reigns titles didn't always wait until the wedding but as the Queen hasn't already given William a title I would expect he will get a title on the morning of the 29th April.

I do expect him to get a title as I don't think the royal family would like to see HRH Princess William of Wales appearing in the Court Circular and other official documents and officially that would be her name but if William is created Duke of xxxx then Kate would be HRH The Duchess of xxxx (no name in the official designation of course).
My understanding is that QEII offered the title of Earl of Snowdon at the time of Armstrong-Jones' marriage to princess Margaret, but they declined ; only to have a change of heart when she became pregnant as the children of the marriage would have no title.

William will likely receive his Peerage the morning of his wedding. If not granted a Peerage then, he will automatically assume all of the titles held by the eldest son and heir the moment Charles becomes King (Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince & Great Steward of Scotland).

Didn't Lumutqueen say that already?

Didn't Lumutqueen say that already?

I was just pointing out if The Queen doesn't grant William a Peerage upon marriage, he would automatically assume the titles of the heir and eldest son when Charles becomes King.

So, Charles would not need to create William anything (other than Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester in due course) as he would already be The Duke of Cornwall.

My understanding is that QEII offered the title of Earl of Snowdon at the time of Armstrong-Jones' marriage to princess Margaret, but they declined ; only to have a change of heart when she became pregnant as the children of the marriage would have no title.
That's a nice way of putting it, the version I'd heard was that a pregnant Princess Margaret stacked on a turn at the prospect of the Queen's nephew being born with no title and demanded the title for Tony which had not been forthcoming for the wedding.

That's a nice way of putting it, the version I'd heard was that a pregnant Princess Margaret stacked on a turn at the prospect of the Queen's nephew being born with no title and demanded the title for Tony which had not been forthcoming for the wedding.

That is the way I heard it too - no offer of a title until October 1961, a month before Lord Linley was born because Margaret wanted her child born with a title. She didn't feel it was right for the grandchild of a King to be born with no title (and Lord Linley is the grandson of George VI)

[FONT=&quot]
This is the very reason I think William will be granted a title on the morning of his wedding, because calling Catherine by the title Princess William of Wales would just be too confusing for a lot of people to get their head around.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
It would be nice if there was a Welsh dukedom available or an area in Wales that is not being used as a dukedom or earldom.
It's very interesting. William, in many ways, seems keen to do his own thing. Furthermore, when The Prince of Wales becomes King, Prince William will automatically become Duke of Cornwall (English title) and Duke of Rothesay (Scottish title). Now in terms of a Welsh title he could indicate he'd like to be known as Duke of Monmouth. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Add in the fact that The Prince Edward spurned some of the titles people thought he'd use for Earl of Wessex (and there were plenty of Royal Earldoms he could have used), which hadn't been used for over 900 years, reviving Monmouth might not be too extreme. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Or there could be a new title, i.e. Duke of Cardiff.

Part of me would like to see him take a Northern Irish title, as he'll likely have a Welsh one in time as Prince of Wales. Yet Ulster and Belfast - the two obvious titles - are both secondary titles (Earldoms) to the Marquessate of Donegall and Dukedom of Gloucester respectively. Of the six Northern Irish counties: Armagh (Earldom) is suspended as the secondary title to the Dukedom of Albany; Londonderry is a Marquessate; Antrim is an Earldom; Downshire is a Marquessate in the Irish peerage (so in theory there could be a Dukedom of Down in the United Kingdom peerage); Tyrone is a secondary title (Earldom) of the Marquessate of Waterford. Therefore, Fermanagh is the only realistic county available for a Northern Irish title. Personally, I think it could end up being used as a secondary title (e.g. Duke of Monmouth, Earl of Fermanagh, Baron Launceston).
[/FONT]

What will William and Kate be called once married? - Telegraph

Those who know her say that Catherine Elizabeth Middleton is far too sensible not to be precisely aware of the gilded cage into which she is stepping by consenting to become a future Queen of England.

But if she needs any reminding, she might just consider the simple question of what she and her husband will be called after their wedding next April.

Now that I have seen the Victorian connection, I believe he will be made the Duke of Clarence, Duke of Avondale, Earl of Athlone. The last 2 Dukes of Clarence were William IV - the King from whom Queen Victoria received the throne, and Prince Albert Victor (aka Prince Eddy), who was also the last oldest son of a Prince of Wales to come into adulthood (thereby inheriting his title) while his father was still Prince of Wales. Harry would then become the Duke of Cambridge, Sussex, Connaught or Albany.

And how was traditionally called the Grandson of the reigning King - eldest son of the Prince of Wales, the second in line to the throne?

And how was traditionally called the Grandson of the reigning King - eldest son of the Prince of Wales, the second in line to the throne?

They only other who it happened where Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Prince George, Duke of York (later King George V.), the sons of King Edward VII. The other Pricnes of Wales had no adult sons during the reings of their fathers.

Harry would then become the Duke of Cambridge, Sussex, Connaught or Albany.

Connaught is in the Republic of Ireland and so it wouldn't be appropriate for a title that relates to territory no longer recognising the Queen as their sovereign to be given.

Albany is not available as there are a number of heirs who could petition for its restoration. The holder was deprived of the title during WWI but his descendents have the right to ask for it back and thus, until all those male heirs are dead, the title simply isn't available.

What will William and Kate be called once married? - Telegraph

Those who know her say that Catherine Elizabeth Middleton is far too sensible not to be precisely aware of the gilded cage into which she is stepping by consenting to become a future Queen of England.

But if she needs any reminding, she might just consider the simple question of what she and her husband will be called after their wedding next April.

Interesting article but pretty much what is already covered here. I am cracking up at the comments listed below this article though:

"Well, it is only a matter of time before the celeb mags call them Katiliam or Wilkat, so does it really matter? "

"Prince Hello and Princess OK"

Clarence, Cambridge or Sussex. Or, like with the Earldom of Wessex, it could be something unexpected (i.e. Earl of Truro?).

I have a feeling it will be Duke of Cambridge. Duke of Cumberland...no...still tied to Hanover. Duke of Clarence...mmmm...maybe. Duke of Sussex...good shot at that. As for secondary titles...after the Dukedom, I have no idea. Given the nature of relationship with Ireland/Northern Ireland, I would highly doubt Connaught. Too far into modern times to attach an Irish title in any way, shape or form, as the first title.

My vote is for Cambridge. Very solid and has a nice ring to it. After that, the sky's the limit!

I have a feeling it will be Duke of Cambridge. Duke of Cumberland...no...still tied to Hanover. Duke of Clarence...mmmm...maybe. Duke of Sussex...good shot at that. As for secondary titles...after the Dukedom, I have no idea. Given the nature of relationship with Ireland/Northern Ireland, I would highly doubt Connaught. Too far into modern times to attach an Irish title in any way, shape or form, as the first title.

Something in Northern Ireland is possible but Connaught is definitely out as it is in the Republic.

I suppose Cumberland could be used in theory. The title that was suspended in 1917 was Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale in the Peerage of Great Britain. So, in theory, William could be created Duke of Cumberland (with no linked title like the 1917 suspensed title) in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. However, it would be a bit like the Earldom of Wessex - Cumberland no longer officially exists (and I speak as a true born Cumbrian, not someone from Westmorland or the parts of Yorkshire and Lancashire incorporated into Cumbria), so using that as a title would seem a little odd.

Separately, a left-field option could be to go for a Scottish Dukedom. The quoted Telegraph artickle mentioned Strathearn, which has previously been bestowed with an English title. Another option could be Duke of Ross, which was bestowed twice on the younger sons of Kings of Scotland. If it's announced on Tuesday (St Andrews day) that William is to become a Knight of the Thistle then maybe a Scottish title could be a possibility. (And for info Prince Charles got the Thistle when he was 29.)

The problem with the scottish titles is that Edinburgh is already taken by Prince Philip and Albany is suspended.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Dukedom of Cumberland is out. It is still extant, but suspended under the Titles Deprivation Act, for the Hanovers. Clarence is also unlikely, as it is an extant Earldom, together with the Dukedom of Albany, that is also suspended under the Act for the Coburgs.

I doubt he'll be given any Scottish dukedoms, although perhaps a secondary earldom might make sense. I still think he'll receive either Cambridge or Sussex if created a Duke.

I'm late to the thread and I'm sure that I'll find the answer or discussion of this already, but are we sure he'll get a Dukedom. Since it's probably assumed he'll get Cornwall and Rothesay, might they go the Edward route? If they do, what Earldoms or other peerages might be available?

I'm late to the thread and I'm sure that I'll find the answer or discussion of this already, but are we sure he'll get a Dukedom. Since it's probably assumed he'll get Cornwall and Rothesay, might they go the Edward route? If they do, what Earldoms or other peerages might be available?

No, we have no idea what, if any, title he will receive on marriage. The Earldom route may be a good idea in that William will eventually succeed to a number of other titles (as Edward is expected to become Duke of Edinburgh one day) and it would suit the lower profile that he and Kate may want to maintain at first.

Prince Edward's situation is different as he personally requested an earldom, not a dukedom, which is customarily given to the groom on his wedding day.

The only prince I can think of off-hand who wasn't given a dukedom when they married is Charles, and that's because he was already Prince of Wales at that point.

He was already Duke of Cornwall, etc. too.

This might be a silly question but in his "private" life William goes by William Wales and Harry by Harry/Henry Wales does this mean Catherine could go be Catherine Wales in "private"? I know officially she'll be HRH Princess William of Wales but could she decide to go by another name privately? Like, what name do they carry on their passports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom