The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not believe Catherine will automatically be Duchess of Cornwall. Camilla chose to be known by that title in lieu of Princess of Wales upon her marriage to Charles. She could have picked any Duchess title of all the Duke titles Charles has. Consequently I do not believe the duchess of Cornwall automatically transfers to Catherine unless the Duke title has passed to Williams and that is the particular title they choose for her.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
I believe Catherine will not automatically be Duchess of Corwall. Camilla chose that title in lieu of Princess of Wales upon her marriage to Charles. She could have picked any Duchess title of all the Duke titles Charles has. Consequently I do not believe the duchess of Cornwall automatically transfers to Catherine.

Camilla won't be The Duchess of Cornwall when Charles ascends the throne, she'll be the Queen. So the title "The Duchess of Cornwall" would pass on to the wife of the new Duke of Cornwall, which in this case would be William.

When Charles becomes King, William automatically becomes the Duke of Cornwall and the Duke of Rothesay.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
I do not believe Catherine will automatically be Duchess of Cornwall. Camilla chose to be known by that title in lieu of Princess of Wales upon her marriage to Charles. She could have picked any Duchess title of all the Duke titles Charles has. Consequently I do not believe the duchess of Cornwall automatically transfers to Catherine unless the Duke title has passed to Williams and that is the particular title they choose for her.
Maybe the Duchess of Rothsay instead?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Maybe the Duchess of Rothsay instead?
Catherine will become The Duchess of Cornwall, and The Duchess of Rothesay when her father-in-law becomes King.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Gentry

It wil be probably like under the reign of Victoria.
We had a Queen , a prince of Wales and a son.
So maybe Queen Elisabeth will give to HRH Prince William of Wales and HRH Catherine of Wales the title of Dukes of Clarence and Avondale, several months after the wedding..
Old 11-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Also, isn't a royal dukedom different than say a garden variety dukedom? I would imagine there are many dukes in England at the moment, but not all of them are royal. A royal dukedom (like York, Edinburgh) is not a step down from being a prince, it's a compliment to it.
The only thing that makes a dukedom Royal is the fact that it's held by a member of the royal family who is entitled to HRH.

There are only 8 royal ducal titles at the present time -

the Duke of Lancaster, the Duke of Normandy (both held by the Queen)
the Duke of Cornwall, the Duke of Rothesay (both held by Prince Charles)
the Duke of Edinburgh (held by Prince Philip)
the Duke of York (held by Prince Andrew)
the Duke of Gloucester (held by Prince Richard)
and the Duke of Kent (held by Prince Edward)

and there will be a 9th if Prince William is given one when he marries Catherine Middleton.

Lancaster and Normandy are both tied strictly to the Crown and can only be held by the reigning sovereign. Cornwall and Rothesay are both strictly tied to the heir apparent to the throne, as is the earldom of Chester.

There are currently 24 peers with ducal titles in the UK -

10 dukes in the peerage of England
6 dukes in the peerage of Scotland
2 dukes in the peerage of Great Britain
2 dukes in the peerage of Ireland
4 dukes in the peerage of the United Kingdom

And in medieval times, a dukedom for a prince was considered a step UP, actually. Back then, titles came with landed estates that increased the wealth of the holder and provided income for his heirs.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalix View Post
So maybe Queen Elisabeth will give to HRH Prince William of Wales and HRH Catherine of Wales the title of Dukes of Clarence and Avondale, several months after the wedding..
Traditionally, the House of Windsor has created titles for members of the royal family upon their marriage. There is no reason to believe that this will not be the case when William and Catherine marry.

And the only reason Victoria's children were given titles with dual territories is because she wanted to emphasize the unity between Scotland and England.. which at that time had newly formed as the United Kingdom.

After her children, there have been no other titles given with more than one designation.. and I seriously doubt there will ever be again.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalix View Post

Her name will not be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales. She is not, nor will she be, a princess in her own right. She will be HRH Princess William of Wales or HRH The Duchess of ______ if the Queen grants William a dukedom when he gets married. She will always been HRH The _________ of ___________ until she's queen, when she will be Queen Catherine. That's the only time her name will appear in her title.

I feel like everyone has been doing nothing but repeating themselves on this for days.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Correct in that there have been no dual-title dukedoms created since the reign of Queen Victoria, but William may yet become a dual-duke.
If as say Duke of Cambridge his father succeeds to the throne, William will become (formally at least, if not in practice) 'Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge' just as his great-great-grandfather George V was previously titled 'Duke of Cornwall and York'.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Correct in that there have been no dual-title dukedoms created since the reign of Queen Victoria, but William may yet become a dual-duke.
If as say Duke of Cambridge his father succeeds to the throne, William will become (formally at least, if not in practice) 'Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge' just as his great-great-grandfather George V was previously titled 'Duke of Cornwall and York'.
But if William becomes the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge (as well as the Duke of Rothesay), those will be separate creations.. which is what I meant by my previous explanation. The dual designations of Victoria's sons were single creations.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing to prevent a single individual from holding hold separate ducal titles.. such as the Duke of Hamilton and Brandon, or the Duke of Richmond and Gordon (who also holds the title Duke of Lennox).

But the truth is, if Prince William is titled as Duke of Cornwall, it will probably be just briefly. I'm sure when Charles succeeds he will have William created Prince of Wales at the earliest possible date.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
But the truth is, if Prince William is titled as Duke of Cornwall, it will probably be just briefly. I'm sure when Charles succeeds he will have William created Prince of Wales at the earliest possible date.

That's not necessarily so. The Queen didn't create Charles the Prince of Wales until 1969, after she'd been queen for 17 years.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
That's not necessarily so. The Queen didn't create Charles the Prince of Wales until 1969, after she'd been queen for 17 years.
Actually, according to Wiki she created him PoW in 26 July 1958, when he was 10 years old.
List of titles and honours of Charles, Prince of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
He was invested as Prince of Wales by The Queen on 1st July 1969 in a colourful ceremony at Caernarfon Castle. Before the investiture The Prince had spent a term at the University College of Wales at Aberystwyth, learning to speak Welsh.
from The Prince of Wales - Biography
Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Well, then Wikipedia got it wrong, sorry lol
Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Well, then Wikipedia got it wrong, sorry lol
Oh now I feel bad... I was in no way trying to sound like I was correcting you in anyway. I was just curious so I looked on his website.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Gentry

Actually, Wikipedia is right. Charles was created Prince of Wales when he was ten, but invested as Prince of Wales in 1969
Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnana View Post
Actually, Wikipedia is right. Charles was created Prince of Wales when he was ten, but invested as Prince of Wales in 1969
Exactly, and the Prince of Wales' website says the same thing.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
Could also be that he waitrs a little bit klike Edward VII. did before creating his sons Prince of Wales. As Charles will have the titel for such a long time it is very much associated with him.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Majesty

Charles was created Prince of Wales in 1958. It was annouced at the end of the Commonwealth and Empire Games in Cardiff that year and went along the lines of 'I am creating my son Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester. When he is older I will invest him with that title in Wales'. He wasn't there at the time but was at school and was in the Headmaster's study, with some friends, when it was announced and has sometimes said he was rather embarassed about the way it was done - as any 10 year old would be but I can't remember which book/s I have where he is reported as having said that.

When he came to school in Australia in 1965 he was referred to as the Prince of Wales on a number of occasions (he arrival was one of the first stories I ever saw on TV as we had only just got TV reception in my country town). It is one of my first actual memories and was the start of my royal collection of newspapers. I still have the papers from that time which also refer to him as Prince of Wales.

Charles became Duke of Cornwall etc in the early hours of 6th February 1952 as soon as his mother became The Queen. He will lose those titles the instant his mother dies and Camilla will also cease to have the title Duchess of Cornwall etc at that same instant as William and Kate will immediately assume the Cornwall etc titles. Charles can take as long or short a time as he likes to create William Prince of Wales. Edward VII took nearly 9 months from January to November 1901 (creating George V PoW on his birthday on 9th November 1901). I can see Charles waiting a period of time but not necessarily as long and then again I can also see Charles not creating William PoW at all.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a question, maybe someone can help me with it. Do certain dukedoms take precedence over another, or is it purely alphabetical? I ask this because the future George V was first created Duke of York. Then when Queen Victoria died and his father became king, he immediately became the Duke of Cornwall as well. However he was styled (briefly) as the Duke of Cornwall and York, even though he was Duke of York first.

I noticed as well in Warren's response that should the Queen create William the Duke of Cambridge when he gets married, when Charles becomes King he will be The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge. Now in that instance it is not alphabetical, but the Cornwall title still comes first.

Is there a reason for that or am I looking for a pattern where there is none?

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding