The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Nobility

Clarence would be my choice. I believe the last Duchess of Clarence was Princess (later Queen) Adelaide, and her husband went on to be King William IV, so it would be fitting.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary would have been Duchess of Clarence and Avondale, had her fiance Prince Albert Victor not died during their engagement. However Queen Victoria still thought she was a suitable match for the next king, which then became his brother George.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Nobility

I see that William IV was previously Duke of Clarence and St Andrews, which makes a little link even though the St Andrews title itself is no longer available.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Nobility

Whatever the Queen decides, William has to get some sort of title. He's got nearly 20 years to wait before he can become Duke of Cornwall.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

When exactly will the Queen announce the titles ?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

If she decides to give them a title it'll be announced on the wedding day....after the ceremony according to the palace.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
If she decides to give them a title it'll be announced on the wedding day....after the ceremony according to the palace.

Actually it'll be before the ceremony.

Quote:
The following schedule of royal wedding events is in Eastern Standard Time.

3:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m. -- The morning of April 29 will start with an announcement from the Queen's office stating the titles that Prince William and Kate Middleton will take.

That would be about 8 or 9 am in London, which is about 2-3 hours before the ceremony starts. We knew about Andrew and Edward's titles before their respective weddings, so if William is given a dukedom, it will follow suit and we'll know before it all kicks off.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine

Actually it'll be before the ceremony.

That would be about 8 or 9 am in London, which is about 2-3 hours before the ceremony starts. We knew about Andrew and Edward's titles before their respective weddings, so if William is given a dukedom, it will follow suit and we'll know before it all kicks off.
I thought the palace said it will be announced after the ceremony?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe the palace has made an announcement either way at this point.

ETA: Apparently according to this article, a palace spokesperson did say it would be after the wedding.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

If William is created a Peer, it will be announced in the morning before he proceeds to the Abbey. The tradition has been to create the royal groom a Peer before the ceremony begins so his bride legally marries a Peer of the Realm and becomes a Duchess or Countess, of course with royal rank automatically as HRH Princess of the UK.

If no announcement is made before the ceremony, that very likely means William has chosen to remain styled as "HRH Prince William of Wales" and therefore, his wife would take her style automatically as "HRH Princess William of Wales". Technically, no announcement would be necessary as the assumption of this style is a given with marriage to a Prince of the UK.

However, if The Queen had agreed to allow it, I can see an announcement coming after the ceremony from the Palace stating that while Catherine was automatically "HRH Princess William of Wales", she would be permitted the use of "HRH Princess Catherine" as a courtesy.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I thought the palace said it will be announced after the ceremony?

Not according to the article I read that gave a timeline of tomorrow's events. It said that at 3 or 4 a.m. EST (which is 8 or 9 a.m. GMT) it would be announced what title if any, the two of them will receive.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine

Not according to the article I read that gave a timeline of tomorrow's events. It said that at 3 or 4 a.m. EST (which is 8 or 9 a.m. GMT) it would be announced what title if any, the two of them will receive.
I've always known the title to be announced before the wedding but what threw me off was when a spokesperson from the palace said it will be announced after the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
If William is created a Peer, it will be announced in the morning before he proceeds to the Abbey. The tradition has been to create the royal groom a Peer before the ceremony begins so his bride legally marries a Peer of the Realm and becomes a Duchess or Countess, of course with royal rank automatically as HRH Princess of the UK.

If no announcement is made before the ceremony, that very likely means William has chosen to remain styled as "HRH Prince William of Wales" and therefore, his wife would take her style automatically as "HRH Princess William of Wales". Technically, no announcement would be necessary as the assumption of this style is a given with marriage to a Prince of the UK.

However, if The Queen had agreed to allow it, I can see an announcement coming after the ceremony from the Palace stating that while Catherine was automatically "HRH Princess William of Wales", she would be permitted the use of "HRH Princess Catherine" as a courtesy.
Could it be perhaps she will bestow a title but they decided to announce it afterward as not to make a big deal about it?

I'm just wondering cause I see Will and Kate breaking from tradition a bit.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Commoner

BBC News Channel in the UK stated a few minutes ago that there will be an announcement about titles at 8 am tomorrow BST.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi lou d View Post
BBC News Channel in the UK stated a few minutes ago that there will be an announcement about titles at 8 am tomorrow BST.

So that's before the wedding, then. Which makes sense.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
So that's before the wedding, then. Which makes sense.
It does. I seem to remember one of the bands playing "The Grand Old Duke of York" while Andrew and Charles were leaving Buckingham Palace for Andrew's wedding.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
Whatever the Queen decides, William has to get some sort of title. He's got nearly 20 years to wait before he can become Duke of Cornwall.
So you are saying that the present Queen will live to be about 105?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
So you are saying that the present Queen will live to be about 105?
Well, as everyone likes to point out, the Queen Mother lived to be what 101/102? So anything is possible.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Nobility

I hope the Queen moves from tradition into the modern times. We will know tomorrow!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Aristocracy

So here's my prediction: Prince William will be created Duke of Cambridge, and be given an earldom and barony of some areas in Scotland and Wales (not necessarily respectively) as well. Hopefully Anglesey or the general area will get a nod in some form.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

Would the Queen hold off giving Prince William a dukedom because Prince Edward is still an earl? I know the intention is for Prince Edward to later become the Duke of Edinburgh, but would the Queen - even though Prince William is higher in the place of succession - have any reservations about giving her grandson a dukedom while one of her sons presently has a lower ranked title? If this has been discussed already, sorry. I didn't recall seeing the discussion, but my memory has been tripping me up lately (I blame it on too many term papers and not enough sleep).

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding