The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I would prefer that they become, TRH, Prince William and Princess William of Wales than William becoming a Duke or an Earl. And at least the people will have the Princess that they want not a Duchess or something else.

William can refuse a Duke title and I hope he does if that is what he is offered on Friday.

William can refuse the offer of a peerage of course (Princess Anne's first husband did), but I doubt he would, unless it was discussed with the Queen ahead of time not to even offer one.

Also, Catherine will still be a princess even if William is offered a peerage. She'll be a princess and a duchess/countess by marriage, just like her aunts-in-law. She will just be referred to by her ducal title rather than the princely title. She would be HRH Princess William of Wales, Duchess/Countess of X. When addressed or discussed or otherwise introduced somewhere, she'd be HRH The Duchess of X. Just like her stepmother-in-law is HRH The Princess Charles, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, etc., she's always referred to as The Duchess of Cornwall. Doesn't mean she's not a princess, because she is.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine

Correct. He'll still HRH Prince William, only much like his uncles, he'll be referred to by his ducal title. For example, if he and Catherine were to attend an event, they wouldn't be called TRH Prince and Princess William of Wales, Duke and Duchess of X, they'd just TRH, the Duke and Duchess of X.

You don't lose titles, you gain them. Only difference is, you're not called the former title anymore.
Thanks SM
Wow I didn't know that. Now I'm not so sure about him getting a title. I'm so used to calling him Prince William of Wales!

What then happens when Charles is king...will they still be referred by their ducal title or with it go back to HRH Prince William?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Thanks SM
Wow I didn't know that. Now I'm not so sure about him getting a title. I'm so used to calling him Prince William of Wales!

What then happens when Charles is king...will they still be referred by their ducal title or with it go back to HRH Prince William?

When Charles is King, he'll be HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, so and so forth. Up to the time when or if he is invested as The Prince of Wales, he and Catherine would be TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall or TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall & X if William was given a dukedom on his wedding day. Once William is invested as The Prince of Wales, they would be TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales.

The next time you would see William's name in his title, the same as Catherine, is when they are sovereign and consort.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thanks SM

Nope. Upon his father ascending to the Throne, Prince William will instantly become Duke of Cornall, and would keep any previous Dukedom. He'd probably be referred to as Duke of Cornwall and X (if he get a Dukedom for his wedding). Catherine would also be referred to as Duchess of Cornwall and X Then if King Charles make Prince William the Prince of Wales, then he'd be called The Prince of Wales, as that's even higher rank than Duke of Cornwall. Catherine would become The Princess of Wales as well, in addition to all the other titles Prince William receives.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

When Charles is King, he'll be HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, so and so forth. Up to the time when or if he is invested as The Prince of Wales, he and Catherine would be TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall or TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall & X if William was given a dukedom on his wedding day. Once William is invested as The Prince of Wales, they would be TRH The Prince and Princess of Wales.

The next time you would see William's name in his title, the same as Catherine, is when they are sovereign and consort.
Thank you:) So does Williams titles effect Harry? For example if William gets a dukedom will Harry still be referred to as Prince Harry? Bear with me, I'm just wondering if this effects him at all.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Nobility

So when are we going to find out? I assumed it would be announced the morning of the wedding, but I just noticed the statement from Buckingham Palace in this article on the Queen's visit to Cambridge:

Quote:
The suggestion that Prince William and his bride will be given the titles Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is only speculation at present. If there is any announcement, it will be after the royal wedding. (Emphasis mine)
Does this mean we'll be waiting for a while longer to find out if William is getting a new title?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thank you:) So does Williams titles effect Harry? For example if William gets a dukedom will Harry still be referred to as Prince Harry? Bear with me, I'm just wondering if this effects him at all.

Nope. Charles' titles don't affect Andrew or Edward, so any titles William receives won't affect Harry. William could become the Duke of 12 different places; Harry will still be HRH Prince Harry of Wales. When Charles becomes King, he'll be HRH The Prince Henry. Titles only affect spouses and children, not siblings.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
So when are we going to find out? I assumed it would be announced the morning of the wedding, but I just noticed the statement from Buckingham Palace in this article on the Queen's visit to Cambridge:

Does this mean we'll be waiting for a while longer to find out if William is getting a new title?

That would certainly be different to what happened with Andrew and Edward as their titles were announced on the morning of their weddings so that as they exited the church the couples were referred to as: TRH The Duke and Duchess of York and TRH the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That would certainly be different to what happened with Andrew and Edward as their titles were announced on the morning of their weddings so that as they exited the church the couples were referred to as: TRH The Duke and Duchess of York and TRH the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
Maybe what they meant is they'll announce AS the couple walk out of the church. That meets the definition of "after the royal wedding".
Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Nope. Charles' titles don't affect Andrew or Edward, so any titles William receives won't affect Harry. William could become the Duke of 12 different places; Harry will still be HRH Prince Harry of Wales. When Charles becomes King, he'll be HRH The Prince Henry. Titles only affect spouses and children, not siblings.
Wills and Kate's children will be referred to as "Lord and Lady" if Will receives dukedom then?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Courtier

How about HM's timely visit to 'Cambridge'.

Certainly the fave on this forum.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada
How about HM's timely visit to 'Cambridge'.

Certainly the fave on this forum.
See Thena's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena
So when are we going to find out? I assumed it would be announced the morning of the wedding, but I just noticed the statement from Buckingham Palace in this article on the Queen's visit to Cambridge

''But a spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace said: “The suggestion that Prince William and his bride will be given the titles Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is only speculation at present. If there is any announcement, it will be after the royal wedding.”:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Wills and Kate's children will be referred to as "Lord and Lady" if Will receives dukedom then?

Under the exiting LPs all except the eldest son will be Lord and Lady.

The eldest son will be HRH Prince xxxx as he would be the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales.

Of course new LPs could be issued to change this fact.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes, with the exception of their eldest son. According to Letters Patent issued in 1917 by George V, the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is afforded a princely status. All other children, sons and daughters alike, will be Lord/Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor, carrying that surname as they are descendants of the Queen that do not have a princely status.

Once Charles is King, they will automatically carry the HRH Prince/Princess X of Y, as grandchildren of the monarch in the male line. They will initially carry the titular designation of Cornwall (or Cornwall & ____) until such a time as William is created the Prince of Wales, at which point they would have Wales, like their father and uncle did.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Maybe what they meant is they'll announce AS the couple walk out of the church. That meets the definition of "after the royal wedding".
I don't think so. In my opinion, it means they will announce The Queen has agreed her style will be "HRH Princess Catherine" after all.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I don't think so. In my opinion, it means they will announce The Queen has agreed her style will be "HRH Princess Catherine" after all.
Perhaps it will be announced after the couple leave the registry after signing the book? They then would bow and curtsy to the Queen as the new (whatever titles they are endowed with).

I am really happy that this wedding is going to hold a lot of surprises for all of us!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

With Andrew and Edward, The Queen issued Letters Patent creating them Peers the morning of their weddings. Doing so means their wives are marrying a Duke and an Earl. I cannot imagine William would be any different, which leads me to think he will not be created a Peer, but remain HRH Prince William of Wales.

Announcing something after the wedding is consistent with the notion of stating with her marriage, Catherine had become HRH Princess William of Wales, but permitted the style of Princess Catherine.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
With Andrew and Edward, The Queen issued Letters Patent creating them Peers the morning of their weddings. Doing so means their wives are marrying a Duke and an Earl. I cannot imagine William would be any different, which leads me to think he will not be created a Peer, but remain HRH Prince William of Wales.
I agree with this part.....
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

Has anyone thought about the idea that the queen could create a Welsh title for William with a reminder to all firstborn sons (or heirs apparent) of a Prince of Wales? I thought about it when I read that two Welsh hymns will be sung at the wedding service - obviously William and Catherine really love Wales and maybe this is a historic chance to give the Welsh the feeling that the Prince of Wales is really "their" prince and not longer the title of the victorious invader's monarch's heir.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Courtier

What about : Duke and Duchess of Kendal? Kendal was given to Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales, daughter of King George IV. She died in childbirth aged 21. Had she lived, she would have been Queen Charlotte I, instead of her cousin Queen Victoria I...

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding