The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Yes, it was technically correct she would still be a "Lady" like her sisters. But since her divorced title is (even with out the HRH) was higher, so she was, officially, "Diana, Princess of Wales." If she had remarried Mr. John Smith, she would have been Lady Diana Smith, like her sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale. Her other sister was Lady Jane Fellowes until her husband got a life peerage and she became the Baroness Fellowes which trumps her old title.

I think it's like when the Queen invests/bestows a territorial title on the princes. Charles is still The Prince Charles, but gets referred to as the Prince of Wales because it's his highest territorial title and no one would want to list ALL of his titles. If you took into consideration her Lady title, it would have been a mouthful "Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of Wales." What a mouthful.

She wouldn't have been "Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor" anyway. The usage of Mountbatten-Windsor as a surname is restricted to those male-line descendants who do not have a princely status. For example, in accordance with the 1917 Letters Patent, the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is HRH Prince X of Y. Any other sons or daughters would be Lord/Lady. So if William and Catherine have a daughter as their first born, she would be Lady X Mountbatten-Windsor.

Now it's true that Charles (and Anne, I believe) used Mountbatten-Windsor as a surname on their banns of marriage, but technically they don't have a last name.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

In that case, why did they use the Mountbatten-Windsor ???

Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
In that case, why did they use the Mountbatten-Windsor ???

Mountbatten-Windsor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mountbatten-Windsor is the personal surname of some of the descendants of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh under an ambiguously-worded Order-in-Council issued in 1960.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I can assure you that hardly anyone would associate Cambridge with Diana on the basis of a tiara which she was occasionally seen wearing. Very few people would even know the name of the tiara.
I did have images of people going "ooh, maybe this means Kate could get the Camebridge Lover's Knot to wear at some point, just like Diana did, oh how fitting for the Wife of Diana's Son!", but you're right. That tiara is just Diana's tiara to some people. People don't make the connection to the place.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I decided to look this up because I was bored, but here are all the extinct dukedoms in the UK, some of which appear in the poll at the top of the board:

Sussex
Cambridge
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Cumberland
Portland
Kendal
Dover
Greenwich
Dorset
Bridgewater
Fife
Clarence and Avondale
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I wonder, will William have to change his name that he uses as a RAF officer if he's given a dukedom, earldom, etc.? Right now he's "William Wales"; I guess it's easier if he sticks to that for his job than change it to "William Cambridge" or "William Clarence."
Well, most women still change their surnames on marriage, why shouldn't William? At least he won't be "William Middleton"!

Oooh, Duke of Buckingham! But didn't Lady Diana use "Miss Buckingham" as a cover name for appointments at the Emanuels to fit the wedding dress?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I decided to look this up because I was bored, but here are all the extinct dukedoms in the UK, some of which appear in the poll at the top of the board:

Sussex
Cambridge
Buckingham and Chandos
Cleveland
Cumberland
Portland
Kendal
Dover
Greenwich
Dorset
Bridgewater
Fife
Clarence and Avondale
I don't believe Fife is available.

Didn't Princess Louise, daughter of Edward VII marry the of Duke of Fife. They didn't have any sons but special arrangements were made so that the eldest daughter could inheirit the title. I believe a great grand nephew holds it now. His daughter is the godmother of Lady Louise or something.

I am recalling all of this from my limited memory (working on a paper for school) and not trying to get caught up in Wikipedia. Its like Walmart and Target for me when I start looking up British royal facts. I can't stop clicking on links.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Royal Highness

I like Duke and Duchess of Dover, sounds romantic to me-

Doubt that's what'll be though- my guess is still no dukedom, just TRH Princes and Princess William
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Aristocracy

Dover would be nice, but could it be used given it's in Kent?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Commoner

I am really surprised by the voting.

I really think William will become an Earl, but if he is named a Duke, I think it will be Clarence. Clarence is the only original royal dukedom created between 1337 and 1385 presently not being used (the others being York, Cornwall, Lancaster and Gloucester). It was last used for the son of the Prince of Wales - notice the similarities? And the previous creation was for the future King William!!!!

But my bet still lies on William being named an Earl, similar to Prince Edward.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanskipper View Post
I am really surprised by the voting.

I really think William will become an Earl, but if he is named a Duke, I think it will be Clarence. Clarence is the only original royal dukedom created between 1337 and 1385 presently not being used (the others being York, Cornwall, Lancaster and Gloucester). It was last used for the son of the Prince of Wales - notice the similarities? And the previous creation was for the future King William!!!!

But my bet still lies on William being named an Earl, similar to Prince Edward.

Yes, Prince Albert Victor was made Duke of Clarence and Avondale, but then he died. It hasn't been used since. There might be a reason for that, regardless of the fact that William IV was also Duke of Clarence at one point. Same with the name "John" in the BRF -- it's bad luck, so it's not used. Diana had wanted to name her eldest son after her father (whose name was John), but was dissuaded from doing so for that very reason. Children with the name John die young, and it's just not done.

So because of a death associated with that title, I don't think it would be used.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Nobility

I'm not sure that the BRF are all that much governed by superstition. You would probably find examples of bad luck or early death associated with any name or title. You would think the Abdication might have set up some taboos, but the names Edward and David have both been used in the BRF since then.

Personally I would love to see Clarence brought back, it would be quite appropriate for PW.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

The only taboo that I think continues from the abdication is that one, you'll never see it happen again and two, you won't see anyone named Duke of Windsor ever again either.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Commoner

I was waiting for someone to cotton on to the fact that the last King William was Duke of Clarence before he became King, so wouldn't it be fitting for the next King William to be Duke of Clarence aswell? Dont forget the Clarence House is also where William has his current official London residence.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
F

Perhaps there is an interesting way forward; I am only speculating of course, but I am drawing out my thoughts as follows: the Queen might well see fit to announce that at the present time she is not going to grant William a Royal Dukedom, [which would leave the way forward to do so at some later date] and therefore on this basis, Catherine would be formally styled Princess William BUT that informally she would be known as 'Princess Catherine' rather in the manner that the late Duchess of Gloucester was styled 'Princess Alice' even though she was not formally
created a Princess in her own right. The Queen did agree to Princess Alice being styled in this way, because she did not want to be styled as Her Royal Highness the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester following the death of her husband...

Let's see what happens on Friday.....

Alex
I think that this could work but I believe that things would be neater for their children if William had a Dukedom /Earldom of his own. I personally believe that LPs will be issued and make their children HRH - just like the Queen's father did for her children. If this does happen , then it would be better if William is Duke/Earl of X and the children Prince/Princess of X, instead of all of them (William , Catherine and children), plus Harry, being "of Wales" (since their father would have no other designation to use) because well, I feel that there would be too many Waleses in the country
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorius View Post
I was waiting for someone to cotton on to the fact that the last King William was Duke of Clarence before he became King, so wouldn't it be fitting for the next King William to be Duke of Clarence aswell? Dont forget the Clarence House is also where William has his current official London residence.
Yes, all of those things. So the last Duke of Clarence died, well hey ho, so does everyone.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Aristocracy

I would prefer that they become, TRH, Prince William and Princess William of Wales than William becoming a Duke or an Earl. And at least the people will have the Princess that they want not a Duchess or something else.

William can refuse a Duke title and I hope he does if that is what he is offered on Friday.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
The only taboo that I think continues from the abdication is that one, you'll never see it happen again and two, you won't see anyone named Duke of Windsor ever again either.
Side note: I do agree with this, but I also think that Harry would be an excellent candidate for Duke of Windsor one day if they ever do decide to bring it back. Harry's got the personality to carry it off and banish all the negative connotations, IMO.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wait a minute, I'm confused. If the queen gives Will a dukedom does that mean he will no longer be referred to as HRH Prince William?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Wait a minute, I'm confused. If the queen gives Will a dukedom does that mean he will no longer be referred to as HRH Prince William?

Correct. He'll still HRH Prince William, only much like his uncles, he'll be referred to by his ducal title. For example, if he and Catherine were to attend an event, they wouldn't be called TRH Prince and Princess William of Wales, Duke and Duchess of X, they'd just TRH, the Duke and Duchess of X.

You don't lose titles, you gain them. Only difference is, you're not called the former title anymore.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding