The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM

What Title should William take?

According to news reports William has asked HM the Queen not to make him a duke, however appropriate it would be, So I put to you the question if he were made a Duke, what should he be made duke of?

My Suggestion is to create a new Dukedom, something with energy and that would play well in the common realms.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
It has occurred to me that perhaps we are over-thinking some of this!
We're probably spending way more time discussing this then the Queen and the couple discussing this same topic.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIM_David View Post
According to news reports William has asked HM the Queen not to make him a duke, however appropriate it would be, So I put to you the question if he were made a Duke, what should he be made duke of?

My Suggestion is to create a new Dukedom, something with energy and that would play well in the common realms.
Huh? There are 85 pages in this thread discussing this very topic. Just go to any page and there are plenty of titles to view, ponder and discuss.

Happy reading!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Huh? There are 85 pages in this thread discussing this very topic. Just go to any page and there are plenty of titles to view, ponder and discuss.

Happy reading!

I have 100 posts per page set up, so for me it's only 17 pages. A little easier to wade through.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I have 100 posts per page set up, so for me it's only 17 pages. A little easier to wade through.
Oh good! Then you can list all the titles that have been thrown about n a very short time (including ones that should be stripped from current dukes and earls -just cuz). Get on it woman!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Darwin View Post
I don't want it to be Cambridge, though, as that would make people think of the Lover's Knot tiara, which would be too much Diana.
I can assure you that hardly anyone would associate Cambridge with Diana on the basis of a tiara which she was occasionally seen wearing. Very few people would even know the name of the tiara.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Off topic posts AGAIN have been deleted regarding the popularity of Camilla and whether or not the US is Diana/Kate country.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea

I hope she can lose the Kate and be called ---- Catherine. I hate to bring this up but Diana, Princess of Wales was called Di. I read that Diana hated that. I think Catherine also hates Kate.
No she doesn't. William calls her Kate and she herself has said she is still very much Kate and she doesn't care which name is used
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine

Mines 15 posts a a page so it shows 113 page thread :) hopefully within those pages is the answer.....
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Well, with only a few days to go and my excitement beginning to overcome me, my current thinking (which will no doubt change by the end of the week) is that no title will be granted and Catherine will be formally known as HRH Princess William of Wales. I base my theory on the flimsy fact that I haven't a clue what title could or should be granted. Having said that, because I come from the East of England, I'd be happy with Duke and Duchess /Earl and Countess of East Anglia (like Wessex another ancient kingdom).
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch
Well, with only a few days to go and my excitement beginning to overcome me, my current thinking (which will no doubt change by the end of the week) is that no title will be granted and Catherine will be formally known as HRH Princess William of Wales
I am thinking the same and basing it off of Kate and William living up near his RAF base for the next 2 years and them staying mainly out of Royal duties, and the fact that William likes to be seen as a regular guy. To be honest my opinion if Kate us that she only wants one title, William's wife and cares not for any others :) (that's a good thing in my view)
Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I am thinking the same and basing it off of Kate and William living up near his RAF base for the next 2 years and them staying mainly out of Royal duties, and the fact that William likes to be seen as a regular guy. To be honest my opinion if Kate us that she only wants one title, William's wife and cares not for any others :) (that's a good thing in my view)
I would agree except for the problem of Harry's future title. I've raised this issue before but I think it bears repeating since a precedent will be set if William doesn't receive a title upon marriage. I suppose the same could happen with Harry (if he marries in the next few years) and then, once Charles becomes King, Harry could receive a Dukedom. I just think that it would be more streamlined if both William and Harry receives Dukedoms at marriage and then Harry is set for life in this regard. Thank goodness it's only 3 more days!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder, will William have to change his name that he uses as a RAF officer if he's given a dukedom, earldom, etc.? Right now he's "William Wales"; I guess it's easier if he sticks to that for his job than change it to "William Cambridge" or "William Clarance."

Even though we at the forums know better and royals themselves will correct them, the press will always mess up names/titles and call royal women whatever they feel like (or what they think the public likes to hear). Catherine will be called "Princess Catherine/Kate," and I bet she'll still be referred "Kate Middleton" sometimes after the wedding. There was story about anarchists attacking the Charles and Camilla's car in December and they were referred to as "Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla Parker-Bowles" even though she is clearly not Parker-Bowles anymore. Diana is almost always referred to as "Princess Diana" and Sarah is usually just called "Fergie" or Sarah Ferguson (neither are wrong, but it does cause confusion for some who only know of the singer). Part of it is how wordy "Diana [pause], Princess of Wales" and "Sarah [pause], Duchess of York" is to say and write and journalists like to save time and space. But the fact that it's still "Princess Diana" and "Camilla Parker-Bowles" stems past Diana vs. Camilla sentiment.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Nobility

Diana is still often referred to as Lady Diana or Lady Di, in my experience.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
Diana is still often referred to as Lady Diana or Lady Di, in my experience.
And that is still technically correct, as I don't think she lost her ladyship when she married PoW. BTW, 'Di' is a nickname that Diana hates, so it's really just "Lady Diana".
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Nobility

It's just what I hear people say - most of them wouldn't have a clue whether or not it was correct, nor do they care. It is of course largely confined to people who are old enough to remember her engagement & wedding.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
I would agree except for the problem of Harry's future title. I've raised this issue before but I think it bears repeating since a precedent will be set if William doesn't receive a title upon marriage. I suppose the same could happen with Harry (if he marries in the next few years) and then, once Charles becomes King, Harry could receive a Dukedom. I just think that it would be more streamlined if both William and Harry receives Dukedoms at marriage and then Harry is set for life in this regard. Thank goodness it's only 3 more days!
If Harry marries while The Queen still reigns, he too can be created an Earl for now. Once Charles is King, he can then create Harry a Duke as a son of The Sovereign.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well, with only a few days to go and my excitement beginning to overcome me, my current thinking (which will no doubt change by the end of the week) is that no title will be granted and Catherine will be formally known as HRH Princess William of Wales. I base my theory on the flimsy fact that I haven't a clue what title could or should be granted. Having said that, because I come from the East of England, I'd be happy with Duke and Duchess /Earl and Countess of East Anglia (like Wessex another ancient kingdom).
My Grandfather came from Colchester so I'll vote for that too.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
And that is still technically correct, as I don't think she lost her ladyship when she married PoW. BTW, 'Di' is a nickname that Diana hates, so it's really just "Lady Diana".
Yes, it was technically correct she would still be a "Lady" like her sisters. But since her divorced title is (even with out the HRH) was higher, so she was, officially, "Diana, Princess of Wales." If she had remarried Mr. John Smith, she would have been Lady Diana Smith, like her sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale. Her other sister was Lady Jane Fellowes until her husband got a life peerage and she became the Baroness Fellowes which trumps her old title.

I think it's like when the Queen invests/bestows a territorial title on the princes. Charles is still The Prince Charles, but gets referred to as the Prince of Wales because it's his highest territorial title and no one would want to list ALL of his titles. If you took into consideration her Lady title, it would have been a mouthful "Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of Wales." What a mouthful.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Viscount Warwick

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding