The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post

Glad you enjoyed it. Consider it my contribution of some levity in an otherwise technical and verbose thread.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanskipper View Post
Oh, ok. I didn't see those posts because they must have been deleted by Zonk.
I'm sorry Americanskipper I don't mean to be cranky. It's just that I have been corrected repeatedly and enough is enough. I deleted the post myself in hopes the topic would move on.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Queen: "You there. Duke of whatever, I don't care. Get over here."

Duke: "Yes your majesty. May I be of service to you somehow?"

Queen: "Yeah, gimme your title."

Duke: "I'm sorry ma'am, my title?"

Queen: "Yeah, your title. Hand it over. I need something for William for his wedding and Philip forgot to buy something, so consider this me re-gifting it. You don't mind, of course."

Duke: "A-a--actually your majesty, I do. This has been in my family for decades. What will I be called?"

Queen: "Lucky I don't put you in the tower, that's what you'll be called. Now fork it over and hit the bricks."
I think we all are getting "title" punchy.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz
Or Grand High Poo-Bah!
Ah, no that's my title in my house! :) I shall never give it up!!!!!!! :) rotfl!!!!!

If thats Catherine's title, what would William's be? Grand Duke High Poo-Bah?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I think it may be very possible The Queen will create him The Earl of Cambridge and Viscount Bucklebury.

I like the Cambridge title weather it be Duke or Earl, it is my pick...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Serene Highness

I think it's going to be Earl and Countess, probably of Cambridge. This will allow King Charles, when he ascends to the throne, to elevate his son at the same time he creates him Prince of Wales and gives the young couple a little less sense of duty. The Queen would be stealing King Charles's thunder, so to speak, to make Prince William a Duke - although I'm sure they've somehow talked this over, right?

Sister Morphine, you're a comic gem, what would we do without you? Queen Katie indeed.

But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
..........But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)
See my post on the previous page for an informal solution to the problem [my post got caught up in all the clever stuff.....]

Alex
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)
I don't think everyone in America will call her Princess Kate... Some of us know better.... and the others will just call her Princess Catherine .

that was my dry humor lol Lets hope for a fast 4 days...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. Consider it my contribution of some levity in an otherwise technical and verbose thread.
It has occurred to me that perhaps we are over-thinking some of this!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think it's going to be Earl and Countess, probably of Cambridge. This will allow King Charles, when he ascends to the throne, to elevate his son at the same time he creates him Prince of Wales and gives the young couple a little less sense of duty. But the press is gonna call her Princess Kate. And so is everyone in America and at least half of Great Britain, even if the Queen doesn't bestow the title (which she can if she wants to!)
William will become The Duke of Cornwall the moment his father becomes King as it will be automatic for him as the eldest son and heir to the throne. After some period of time, Charles will then create him Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.

I do not agree everyone will call Catherine "Princess Catherine" if she indeed becomes a Duchess or Countess on Friday. They will call her The Duchess or Countess, like they do for Camilla and Sophie.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Commoner

Quote:
William will become The Duke of Cornwall the moment his father becomes King as it will be automatic for him as the eldest son and heir to the throne. After some period of time, Charles will then create him Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.

I do not agree everyone will call Catherine "Princess Catherine" if she indeed becomes a Duchess or Countess on Friday. They will call her The Duchess or Countess, like they do for Camilla and Sophie.
Agreed, that is assuming she becomes Duchess or Countess.

If she becomes only 'Princess William of Wales', I think lots of people will call her Princess Catherine.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:

It will probably depend on where you are and how familiar the people are with Kate. For example, it's very easy to call Camilla and Sophie by their titles in the U.S. because they are pretty much completely unknown. However, I'd be very surprised if the U.S. media calls Kate anything but Princess Catherine/Kate. After the wedding she will be very well known and the media are dying for a successor to the Diana legacy. They want a princess. I'd be surprised if the UK media (esp. the tabloids) switch to using duchess or countess as well, but I don't know them as well. For other countries it will probably vary. At the end of the day, for better or worse, aggravating or not, princesses just sell better than duchesses/countesses. :P
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
It will probably depend on where you are and how familiar the people are with Kate. For example, it's very easy to call Camilla and Sophie by their titles in the U.S. because they are pretty much completely unknown. However, I'd be very surprised if the U.S. media calls Kate anything but Princess Catherine/Kate. After the wedding she will be very well known and the media are dying for a successor to the Diana legacy. They want a princess. I'd be surprised if the UK media (esp. the tabloids) switch to using duchess or countess as well, but I don't know them as well. For other countries it will probably vary. At the end of the day, for better or worse, aggravating or not, princesses just sell better than duchesses/countesses. :P
I hope she can lose the Kate and be called ---- Catherine. I hate to bring this up but Diana, Princess of Wales was called Di. I read that Diana hated that. I think Catherine also hates Kate.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I hope she can lose the Kate and be called ---- Catherine. I hate to bring this up but Diana, Princess of Wales was called Di. I read that Diana hated that. I think Catherine also hates Kate.
If Catherine hates being called "Kate", she should have asked William not to call her by that name in TV interviews.

Whatever title William may be given on the occasion of his marriage, I am reasonably sure that that she is going to be called Princess Kate here, though not by me, because I am a pedant in that regard and she will not be Princess anything except William. But if William is going to call her Kate, so am I.

I would not be surprised to see him remain Prince William of Wales until such time as he inherits his father's titles. I think that would be in keeping with his modern, fairly low key, informal approach to his life at the moment.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Aristocracy

Middleton, Greater Manchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a place called Middleton in Manchester. Maybe William can be made Duke of Middleton :)
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone have a strong feeling that if a Dukedeom is given, it will be Sussex?

I know it's got some votes (including my own ) but how many people think of Sussex as a future Sovereign kind of Dukedom?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
Middleton, Greater Manchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a place called Middleton in Manchester. Maybe William can be made Duke of Middleton :)
Now that would be fun!

I still suspect they will be given some title so that Kate isn't commonly called Princess Kate, and so that their children's names are not all messed up - especially their first born son. But I also suspect they will not be made Duke/Duchess so they can keep a lower profile - and since they are a bit distant from (grandchildren rather than children of) the monarch. Therefore my prediction is Earl of something.

Does anybody know when and how on Friday we will find out? If they are not given any title, I suspect no announcement will be made (otherwise, it would be sort of like the Queen announcing that she is going to stay on as Queen). So by what time on Friday, if no annoucement has been made, can we figure out they will stay simply as Prince and Princess William of Wales? And if they are given a title, when and how would the annoucement be made?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanskipper View Post
Now that would be fun!

I still suspect they will be given some title so that Kate isn't commonly called Princess Kate, and so that their children's names are not all messed up - especially their first born son. But I also suspect they will not be made Duke/Duchess so they can keep a lower profile - and since they are a bit distant from (grandchildren rather than children of) the monarch. Therefore my prediction is Earl of something.

Does anybody know when and how on Friday we will find out? If they are not given any title, I suspect no announcement will be made (otherwise, it would be sort of like the Queen announcing that she is going to stay on as Queen). So by what time on Friday, if no annoucement has been made, can we figure out they will stay simply as Prince and Princess William of Wales? And if they are given a title, when and how would the annoucement be made?

Based on Andrew and Edward's titles we should know as they leave for the church and certainly by the time Kate is on her way.

If she enters the Abbey and we haven't been told anything then they will be Prince and Princess William of Wales.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Darwin View Post
Does anyone have a strong feeling that if a Dukedeom is given, it will be Sussex?

I know it's got some votes (including my own ) but how many people think of Sussex as a future Sovereign kind of Dukedom?
I hope not. It sounds too similar to Wessex which Edward and Sophie have. Plus, it is likely to spark some off color jokes such as, oops, I guess young children may read this post, so I better not say.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Aristocracy

I was almost going to mention that I don't have any children, but then I caught up, and realised that some users would

I guess it does sound too similar to Wessex. I don't want it to be Camebridge, though, as that would make people think of the Lover's Knot tiara, which would be too much Diana. I don't think things associated with Diana should be contraband forever, but there really needs to be a generation who things go well for, before she can be brought to mind. Clarence would be good. It's previous owner did have a sad story, but you can't keep these things locked away forever...

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding