The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Sister Morphine:

The style "His/Your Grace" is limited to dukes. The Earl of St. Andrews, like other earls, is referred to/addressed as "His/Your Lordship" or "My Lord."

Right. Thank you.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Actually no one knows what the queen has decided. I am hoping that she shocks all of you and allows Kate to become Her Royal Highness, Princess Catherine of Wales. it is not the norm BUT the queen can allow it. I hope she does just due to the fact that most of you are so sure she will not and you all don't want her to have it. That is why I hope the queen grants this.

There's a difference between saying it won't happen because there's no precedence for it, and saying it won't happen because we don't think she should have it because we hate her or something. No one here has said the latter, and it would be nice if you didn't accuse people of either saying it or thinking it, when no one has. Would it be nice if she made Catherine a princess in her own right? Yes, I think it would be. That doesn't mean however, that I believe the Queen will buck centuries of precedent and do something that no other sovereign that I can recall, has ever done before. Her Majesty doesn't strike me as that kind of monarch.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Charles will be king, even if it's for three years or something. Then William will become King when his father dies.
I agree with you. Charles has been "in training" to be monarch since his birth. I do not feel that HM the Queen will recommend Charles not be her heir and I do not think William would want to become King when his grandmother dies.

There is really no reason why Charles should not become King.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Well let's take a look at her past and present daughters-in-law:

1. Diana. Diana married The Prince of Wales, and as such became The Princess of Wales. When they divorced, she was allowed to be titled Princess Diana in keeping with her status as the mother of the second and third in line to the throne.

2. Sarah. Sarah married Andrew who was given and accepted the title of the Duke of York. If he declined the title, then there may or may not have been an issue as to what Sarah would have been comfortable with being styled. However, it was obviously never an issue. Andrew was already shoved further down the list of succession with the births of William and Harry.

3. Camilla: Camilla is already The Princess of Wales and has many other titles to go with it as the second wife The Prince of Wales. She chose to be styled Duchess of Cornwall. She will more than likely be Queen Consort when Charles ascends the throne.

So that takes care of the list of daughters-in-laws. Since there are no other male heirs in of succession other than William and Harry of the grandchildren, and only William and his heirs will be in direct line of succession, if she was going to make that exception it would be due to William asking if Catherine could use the style of Princess Catherine instead of Princess William, just as Diana was allowed the title of Princess Diana after her divorce. This would not require new letters patent. In consideration of his position as second in line, and do to her remaining years it is possible she would allow it.
According to me, Diana was never allowed the title of Princess Diana after her divorce. She was 'simply' Diana, Princess of Wales thereafter. Only without the HRH.

But we digress and I don't think that Zonk should have to interfere once again.

Only 4 days left until we know whether he will receive a title, it's getting very exciting!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
You didn't mention the Countess of Wessex.
I did actually.....for some reason that paragraph is missing from the post. I wonder if I hit something prior to posting it.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Please note that several off topic posts relating to opinions about Camilla, the triangle that people refuse to move on from, andCharles dying before he becomes King have been deleted.

Please stay on topic.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Well let's take a look at her past and present daughters-in-law:

1. Diana. Diana married The Prince of Wales, and as such became The Princess of Wales. When they divorced, she was allowed to be titled Princess Diana in keeping with her status as the mother of the second and third in line to the throne.

2. Sarah. Sarah married Andrew who was given and accepted the title of the Duke of York. If he declined the title, then there may or may not have been an issue as to what Sarah would have been comfortable with being styled. However, it was obviously never an issue. Andrew was already shoved further down the list of succession with the births of William and Harry.

3. Camilla: Camilla is already The Princess of Wales and has many other titles to go with it as the second wife The Prince of Wales. She chose to be styled Duchess of Cornwall. She will more than likely be Queen Consort when Charles ascends the throne.

So that takes care of the list of daughters-in-laws. Since there are no other male heirs in of succession other than William and Harry of the grandchildren, and only William and his heirs will be in direct line of succession, if she was going to make that exception it would be due to William asking if Catherine could use the style of Princess Catherine instead of Princess William, just as Diana was allowed the title of Princess Diana after her divorce. This would not require new letters patent. In consideration of his position as second in line, and do to her remaining years it is possible she would allow it.
You missed one important Daughter-in-law: Sophie, Countess of Wessex. And in fact I think that is a model that will be followed with Kate and William. They want to have a some what normal life. They want to stay out of the spotlight. They also want a title, and will become Duke at a later time. So they are presently Earl and Countess.

William will be made an Earl on Friday. It is too bad 'Earl of St. Andrews' is already being used. I suspect there is no way the Queen could give him another Earl, and then give William the Earl of St. Andrews. That would have been 'romantic'.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it may be very possible The Queen will create him The Earl of Cambridge and Viscount Bucklebury.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Nobility

BTW, Diana was NOT EVER styled "Princess Diana," during or after the marriage. She was, of course, The Princess of Wales during her marriage. Upon her divorce, she was styled "Diana, Princess of Wales" and without the HRH.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanskipper View Post
You missed one important Daughter-in-law: Sophie, Countess of Wessex. And in fact I think that is a model that will be followed with Kate and William. They want to have a some what normal life. They want to stay out of the spotlight. They also want a title, and will become Duke at a later time. So they are presently Earl and Countess.

William will be made an Earl on Friday. It is too bad 'Earl of St. Andrews' is already being used. I suspect there is no way the Queen could give him another Earl, and then give William the Earl of St. Andrews. That would have been 'romantic'.
Yes, that Sophie was left out was already been pointed out, however it was not intentional as I pointed out.

I'm sorry, has BP released their title? Unless they have, you have no idea what their title will be Friday. No one does except those that were involved with the decision. Since none of us would be in that party, then it's really all speculation.....correct?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
BTW, Diana was NOT EVER styled "Princess Diana," during or after the marriage. She was, of course, The Princess of Wales during her marriage. Upon her divorce, she was styled "Diana, Princess of Wales" and without the HRH.
Oh for cripes sake!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

The queen could theoretically do whatever the heck she wanted. The issue isn't whether she can do it, but whether she should do it. It would be wholly unfair to the present Earl of St. Andrews to have his title stripped from him and given to someone higher up the food chain just because seeing William and Catherine styled as the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews looks romantic or otherwise has some kind of appeal. Whether William is given a dukedom, an earldom, a barony, or nothing at all, it's not going to come at someone else's rightful expense.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Yes, that Sophie was left out was already been pointed out, however it was not intentional as I pointed out.

I'm sorry, has BP released their title? Unless they have, you have no idea what their title will be Friday. No one does except those that were involved with the decision. Since none of us would be in that party, then it's really all speculation.....correct?
Oh, ok. I didn't see those posts because they must have been deleted by Zonk.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
The queen could theoretically do whatever the heck she wanted. The issue isn't whether she can do it, but whether she should do it. It would be wholly unfair to the present Earl of St. Andrews to have his title stripped from him and given to someone higher up the food chain just because seeing William and Catherine styled as the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews looks "romantic".
Yes. But it would have been a nice title had it been available.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The queen could theoretically do whatever the heck she wanted. The issue isn't whether she can do it, but whether she should do it. It would be wholly unfair to the present Earl of St. Andrews to have his title stripped from him and given to someone higher up the food chain just because seeing William and Catherine styled as the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews looks "romantic".
Is Friday here yet?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Is Friday here yet?
It's Tuesday in London, so just about nearly.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It's Tuesday in London, so just about nearly.
I wish I was in London to see all these poor saps stripped of their titles.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I wish I was in London to see all these poor saps stripped of their titles.

Queen: "You there. Duke of whatever, I don't care. Get over here."

Duke: "Yes your majesty. May I be of service to you somehow?"

Queen: "Yeah, gimme your title."

Duke: "I'm sorry ma'am, my title?"

Queen: "Yeah, your title. Hand it over. I need something for William for his wedding and Philip forgot to buy something, so consider this me re-gifting it. You don't mind, of course."

Duke: "A-a--actually your majesty, I do. This has been in my family for decades. What will I be called?"

Queen: "Lucky I don't put you in the tower, that's what you'll be called. Now fork it over and hit the bricks."
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Queen: "You there. Duke of whatever, I don't care. Get over here."

Duke: "Yes your majesty. May I be of service to you somehow?"

Queen: "Yeah, gimme your title."

Duke: "I'm sorry ma'am, my title?"

Queen: "Yeah, your title. Hand it over. I need something for William for his wedding and Philip forgot to buy something, so consider this me re-gifting it. You don't mind, of course."

Duke: "A-a--actually your majesty, I do. This has been in my family for decades. What will I be called?"

Queen: "Lucky I don't put you in the tower, that's what you'll be called. Now fork it over and hit the bricks."

Quote:
Or, the Queen could allow her to be called 'Her Highest Royal Majesty the exalted Wife of the Probably Future King, so we might as well start calling you Queen Katie now'.

That would REALLY Surprise and shock everyone!! HaHa!
Ha, ha, indeed! That's what all the "HRH Princess Catherine" discussion is.

In reality, she'll either be Princess William of Wales, Countess of Whatever, or Duchess of Whatever.

Or Grand High Poo-Bah!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
From what I understand about titles, I agree that there is no possibility that the Earl of St Andrews could be stripped of his title..

With regard to the bestowal of a title on Prince William on the day of his wedding, like I said a couple of weeks ago, I continue to get the impression [although of course I could very well be wrong] that the fact that Prince William and Catherine are still giving the impression of 'trying to live as normal a life as possible' would seem to indicate that a Royal Dukedom may not be the way forward at this stage. Prince William is of course very much a serving RAF officer, and we get the impression that he 'mucks in with his mates' - and look how many of his Air Force team are coming to the wedding. Prince William and Catherine have also indicated that they [still] don't want any staff at their home in Wales after the marriage; to me this again indicates a form of 'informality'. There was a story in one of the papers a few weeks ago [and of course that was only pure speculation on the part of the paper] that Catherine does not really want to be a Royal Duchess but would like to be styled 'Princess Catherine', which of course I think would be highly unlikely as I am positive that the Queen would not create Catherine a Princess in her own right...

Perhaps there is an interesting way forward; I am only speculating of course, but I am drawing out my thoughts as follows: the Queen might well see fit to announce that at the present time she is not going to grant William a Royal Dukedom, [which would leave the way forward to do so at some later date] and therefore on this basis, Catherine would be formally styled Princess William BUT that informally she would be known as 'Princess Catherine' rather in the manner that the late Duchess of Gloucester was styled 'Princess Alice' even though she was not formally
created a Princess in her own right. The Queen did agree to Princess Alice being styled in this way, because she did not want to be styled as Her Royal Highness the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester following the death of her husband...

Let's see what happens on Friday.....

Alex

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding