The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Gentry

I suppose that in the court circular, William & Kate will be refered to William's new title but people in media will carry on calling them as William & Kate.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
No, it doesn't appear to be. An interesting note about the Duke of York title. Since its second creation in 1474, the title has never been passed on. Either the holder died without male issue or they became King. I also read something that stated that should Prince Harry's marriage predate the death of Prince Andrew, Harry could be created an earl, with the proviso that a new Duke of York will be created for him -- similar to Prince Edward and the dukedom of Edinburgh.
Quite honestly, I don't see Prince Harry ever becoming Duke of York. Here's why:

If the Queen lives and reigns to the age of 100 (which seems quite possible given the longevity of her mother) then the Prince of Wales will be 78 when he succeeds.. the Duke of York will be 66.. Prince William will be 44.. and Prince Harry will be 42.

Prince Harry will be married long before this (I certainly hope), and will have probably been created a Duke upon marriage.

By this time, too, Prince William may well have more than one son, the second of which could eventually be created Duke of York.. Remembering that this could not happen until the death of Prince Andrew, when the title reverts to the Crown.

William's second son would be closer to the line of succession, and it would therefore make more sense that he be created Duke of York.

There's also a 12 year age difference between the Prince of Wales and the Duke of York. Even if longevity isn't a factor, the Duke of York could easily outlast his brother and live well into William's reign..

So it doesn't make sense to me that Harry would be created earl of anything. More likely is that he will get his own dukedom upon marriage as we anticipate his brother will.

And if Prince Andrew marries again and has a son.. well that's also still possible, isn't it? The man is only 50, after all..

Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Nobility

That certainly makes sense to me. The Duke of York is still quite young at 50 (from my perspective, anyway!)
Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Nobility

I can't help noticing the precedent for the title of an adult grandson of a reigning monarch. Prince Albert Victor received the title of Duke of Clarence and Avondale from his grandmother, Queen Victoria. Prince George received the title of Duke of York. The previous Duke of Clarence had been Victoria's uncle who became king and the previous Duke of York was another of Victoria's uncles who died without a male heir. There were at least three generations between the old dukes and the new ones.

I don't believe we'll see the Duke of York title granted again for at least another generation, but the Queen could certainly find other dukedoms to bestow upon William and Harry. I am partial to Cambridge, but Clarence wouldn't be bad either, seeing as William has lived in Clarence House for some time.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
Quite honestly, I don't see Prince Harry ever becoming Duke of York...
I agree 100%
Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Quite honestly, I don't see Prince Harry ever becoming Duke of York...
Very well said.

If Andrew remarried a woman say in her 30s he could very easily have a son making it a mute point about Harry getting that title anyway.

Another possiblity is that if William has a daughter first then the government could do away with the sexist inheritance laws - not only to the Crown but to titles and allow for daughters to inherit titles from their fathers. It has always seemed incongruous to me that Beatrice could become Queen but can't inherit her father's title.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

An interesting article from dictionary.com on the meanings behind the titles that Kate will and eventually receive.

Will Kate Middleton be a duchess when she marries? | The Hot Word
Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Very well said.

If Andrew remarried a woman say in her 30s he could very easily have a son making it a mute point about Harry getting that title anyway.

Another possiblity is that if William has a daughter first then the government could do away with the sexist inheritance laws - not only to the Crown but to titles and allow for daughters to inherit titles from their fathers. It has always seemed incongruous to me that Beatrice could become Queen but can't inherit her father's title.
Well.. if Beatrice became Queen she wouldn't need her father's title.. she would be the Duke of Lancaster
Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
An interesting article from dictionary.com on the meanings behind the titles that Kate will and eventually receive.

Will Kate Middleton be a duchess when she marries? | The Hot Word
This article is not correct it has it all wrong!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
What to Call Kate?

...Once married, Kate Middleton will unofficially become "Princess Catherine." The official title will likely be Her Royal Highness Catherine of Wales. Eventually, after many years and barring any unforeseen tragedy or divorce, she and William will become the Queen and King of England...
Article

And that is the long and the short of it given that William is William of Wales.

Well done.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
This article is not correct it has it all wrong!
Agreed. I totally wrote a scathing comment on it after reading it. What utter nonsense - must have been written by an American.

And I'm American.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her official title will NEVER be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales. Catherine is not a princess in her own right. All these dumb writers have to do is read Wikipedia to figure that out.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well.. if Beatrice became Queen she wouldn't need her father's title.. she would be the Duke of Lancaster

My point though it that she can't become Duchess of York in her own right because of her gender and that is simple sexism and needs to be changed.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lover_of_royalty View Post
hello! why would William take a dukedom when it is a stepdown when for 26 years he's been a prince! Kate deserves to be Princess Catherine of Wales - once the queen dies they would be retitled as Prince/Princess of Wales its pointless!
He doesn't loose his HRH just because he is GIVEN a dukedom. She doesn't deserve to be Princess Catharine, because she isn't a princess in her own right.
It is not a given, that William will become to the Prince of Wales.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Please note that all OFF topic posts about the Prince Charles interview with Brian Williams has been moved to Charles and Camilla current events 23: August 2010- .

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He doesn't loose his HRH just because he is GIVEN a dukedom. She doesn't deserve to be Princess Catharine, because she isn't a princess in her own right.
It is not a given, that William will become to the Prince of Wales.

Basically this. The only women in the BRF with the right to use "princess" before their own given name are Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise (although her parents have her styled as the daughter of an earl). That's it. Those are the only princesses of the blood royal that are alive, to my knowledge.

She will be a princess yes, but through marriage. Which means her titles come from her husband. She'll be Princess William or Wales or if William is granted a dukedom The Duchess of Wherever. When Charles is King, she'll be The Duchess of Cornwall until such a time that Charles creates William The Prince of Wales, at which time she'll be The Princess of Wales. Then she'll be Queen Catherine and that will be the only time when her name will immediately follow her title.

Also, isn't a royal dukedom different than say a garden variety dukedom? I would imagine there are many dukes in England at the moment, but not all of them are royal. A royal dukedom (like York, Edinburgh) is not a step down from being a prince, it's a compliment to it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Sister Morphine, thanks for explaining but I already knew about the title Princess.
I guess there is a difference.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sister Morphine, thanks for explaining but I already knew about the title Princess.
I guess there is a difference.

I wasn't explaining that to you, I was agreeing with you. I just threw the rest in for anyone else who might read it. Seeing as you're British, I had a feeling you knew that pretty well yourself already.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Basically this. The only women in the BRF with the right to use "princess" before their own given name are Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise (although her parents have her styled as the daughter of an earl). That's it. Those are the only princesses of the blood royal that are alive, to my knowledge.
Princess Alexandra of Kent also belongs in that list.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Princess Alexandra is still alive and she has the right as the granddaughter of a monarch.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding