The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

The press is going to call her that regardless. I mean, they called his mother "Princess Diana" even though that was never her title. In fact, Diana would correct reporters who called her that, saying it wasn't her name. Catherine will never have her name in her title until she's queen.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen121419 View Post
I do believe a dukedom will be given, and despite the history, I would like to see a Duke and Duchess of Clarence. That being said, I would not be surprised if everyone else calls Catherine either "Princess Catherine" or "Princess Kate."
I don't see the media calling her Princess Catherine or Kate if William is granted a Ducal title. They didn't call Sarah Princess Andrew or (incorrectly) Princess Sarah after her marriage. She was always referred to as Sarah, Duchess of York. Same with Sophie being referred to as Sophie, Countess of Wessex after her marriage. Never as Princess Edward or (incorrectly) Princess Sophie. However, the men are still referred to as Prince Andrew and Prince Edward rather than exclusively by their ducal or earldom granted titles.

If William is granted a dukedom, the media will still refer to a to him predominately as Prince William, and Catherine will be referred to as Catherine/Kate, Duchess of xxx. I don't see them calling her Princess Catherine/Kate since they haven't done so with previous wives. Not even in America.

Diana was different in that her husband was The Prince of Wales, and she was The Princess of Wales. So to shorten the references to her, they just called her Princess Diana or Princess Di.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Can we all just agree that even after the marriage, Kate Middleton will be known as Kate, Catherine, Princess Kate, Princess Katie, Duchess of X, and yikes, even Kate Middleton as if she had never married William on the 29th of April.

I can't wait for this to be announced.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Can we all just agree that even after the marriage, Kate Middleton will be known as Kate, Catherine, Princess Kate, Princess Katie, Duchess of X, and yikes, even Kate Middleton as if she had never married William on the 29th of April.

Agreed--the media is going to get that wrong anyway. But that's life, and there's no need to get all worked up over a minor (at least to the media and most people anyway) thing like this.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

Me too, and heck, even Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall is sometimes still referenced to as Camilla Parker Bowles. Indeed as if no wedding ever took place .
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Usually, those who say 'Camilla Parker Bowles' are not her admirers and are attempting to demean her, in much the same way as those who dislike CP Mary rudely and persistently refer to her as 'Mary Donaldson'. It's petty behaviour and much best ignored. I'm confident that both women couldn't care less about such people.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

And they are also wrong if they, or any of us, refer to Camilla as Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Sophie as Sophie, Countess of Wessex and Sarah - when married - as Sarah, Duchess of York.

Those forms are for divorced wives of peers and the last time I checked Camilla and Sophie are married. Their names simply don't exist in their titles at all. They are HRH The Duchess of Cornwall or HRH The Countess of Wessex. To refer to them by name is fine so long as you don't add the title and thus divorce them from their husbands.

Sarah is now correctly Sarah, Duchess of York as the divorced wife of a peer.

If William is given a title then Kate will be HRH The Duchess/Countess/Marchioness etc of xxx but not Katherine, Duchess/Countess/Marchioness etc of xxx unless she divorces William.

If we can't get it right, and we claim to be followers of things like this, can we blame other people, without our interest or the press who feed the masses their pulp?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Kate’s daughter could be Queen but not royal

As I'm sure everyone has seen, the government are thinking of changing the succession laws so that if William and Kate have a girl first, she will be Queen.

However, it has occured to me that if they have a daughter in the Queen's lifetime, heir or not, she won't actually be royal. Check out my blogpost on it:

Kate
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Courtier

She will still be a royal she will just be titled and styled as Lady x Windsor until her grandfather is King. weather or not this new law passes all William and Kate's children will be royals.

Zara and Peter Phillips do not carry any title...but they are still a part of the Royal family and are still Royals.. I guess it depends on how you look at it I have seen people on this forum say that Prince Albert is not a royal and that you need a HRH to be a royal.. I have a diffrent veiw,Prince Edward Choose to have his Children styled as children of an Earl does that mean they are not Royals...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Zara and Peter aren't actually royals, as they carry no titles. They are members of the royal family as they are the Queen's grandchildren, but they are commoners, just like their father is, and their step-father is. The Earl and Countess of Wessex's children are royal, as they are still legally Princess Louise of Wessex and Prince James of Wessex, they are just being styled as the children of an earl.

There's a difference between being a member of the royal house and the royal family. The royal house is those who carry titles, the royal family is everyone, including those who do not carry titles.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
She will still be a royal she will just be titled and styled as Lady x Windsor until her grandfather is King. weather or not this new law passes all William and Kate's children will be royals.

Zara and Peter Phillips do not carry any title...but they are still a part of the Royal family and are still Royals.. I guess it depends on how you look at it I have seen people on this forum say that Prince Albert is not a royal and that you need a HRH to be a royal.. I have a diffrent veiw,Prince Edward Choose to have his Children styled as children of an Earl does that mean they are not Royals...

Princess Anne has stated that her children aren't royal - they just have the Queen as a grandmother. I think her description of her children is currect - they aren't royal.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKRoyalTitles View Post
As I'm sure everyone has seen, the government are thinking of changing the succession laws so that if William and Kate have a girl first, she will be Queen.

However, it has occured to me that if they have a daughter in the Queen's lifetime, heir or not, she won't actually be royal. Check out my blogpost on it:

Kate

The Queen will very likely do what her father did in 1947 and shortly before the birth issue LPs to create all of William's children HRH.

Under the 1917 LPs without new LPs issued Charles would have been born as Earl of Merioneth (his father's second title which he would have used as a courtesy title) and Anne as Lady Anne Mountbatten.

George VI prevented that by issuing LPs a week before Charles was born.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Courtier

Then I stand corrected .... on Zara and Peter.......
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Personally, I like Duke of Clarence. I'd like to see Duke of Clarence and St Andrews, revived, or Duke of Clarence and Avondale. Perhaps, though, the gossip and innuendo surrounding Albert Victor will rule out the latter.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Courtier

I just cant wait till the announce the title...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

You know I am beginning to think that there won't be a title at all and that the Queen will simply let it be known that Kate can be known as Princess Catherine - with no official LPs or anything - in much the same way that she let it be known that Louise and James are Lady Louise and Viscount Severn.

Her will is all that it needs so if she says 'yes' then that is all that is needed.

We may very well have seen the last of the royal dukes, particularly now that they don't get automatic seats in the House of Lords so the title won't stop them being able to stand for a seat in the House of Commons.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Can you imagine the pages that would generate...on this forum
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The Queen will very likely do what her father did in 1947 and shortly before the birth issue LPs to create all of William's children HRH.
I think she is likely to do this in any case because William's children will be HRH as the male-line grandchildren of The King and may even become the children of The Sovereign if The Queen manages to outlive her son.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You know I am beginning to think that there won't be a title at all and that the Queen will simply let it be known that Kate can be known as Princess Catherine - with no official LPs or anything - in much the same way that she let it be known that Louise and James are Lady Louise and Viscount Severn.

Her will is all that it needs so if she says 'yes' then that is all that is needed.

We may very well have seen the last of the royal dukes, particularly now that they don't get automatic seats in the House of Lords so the title won't stop them being able to stand for a seat in the House of Commons.
I still think The Queen will grant a Dukedom the morning of the wedding. The fact is William may never become The Duke of Cornwall if his father doesn't survive to be King, or he would the heir to the throne for a relatively short period of time.

If The Queen lives to be 105, she will be on the throne another twenty years and Charles will be 83 years old when he is King. There is also the possibility the Government and Parliament may decide to skip Charles and crown William instead due to his advanced age.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I still think The Queen will grant a Dukedom the morning of the wedding. The fact is William may never become The Duke of Cornwall if his father doesn't survive to be King, or he would the heir to the throne for a relatively short period of time.

If The Queen lives to be 105, she will be on the throne another twenty years and Charles will be 83 years old when he is King. There is also the possibility the Government and Parliament may decide to skip Charles and crown William instead due to his advanced age.

I could see Charles becoming Regent after his mother becomes too disabled to perform her duties, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if she outlives him.

Edit: As for William's title(s) I rather like the Duke of Cambridge. Can't wait to follow all this next week and the months and years to follow! :)

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding