The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
As things stand Kate will be styled Princess William of Wales. Lets keep it that way. and I hope she will still be referred to as Kate. not Catherine.
The poor girl has to change so much in her life, at least she will feel like herself, as Kate
I believe her family call her "Catherine" and it's only friends (?) and media that calls her Kate. Personally, I'd call her Catherine, if not Princess William or whatever title/style she get. I know she doesn't' really care though what people call her. Somehow Kate sounds a bit too girlish for a person in her position, but don't mind me.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle

I believe her family call her "Catherine" and it's only friends (?) and media that calls her Kate.:
William has called her Kate..... She herself has said she's still very much Kate so Kate it is for me

Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLynn View Post
Okay... Say the Queen grants William and Catherine with a dukedom... some of the availble ones like Connaught, or Clarence. Will land and homes be included? Or would they have to create 'Holdings' for the dukedom themselves?

Whenever I look up current Dukes's on Wikipedia and such, its always states what Homes/Manors'/Castles belong to them through the title.

So I'm really curious to know if they will get land and grand homes with their dukedom...?
Since no else has answered this, EchoLynn, it is my understanding that royal dukedoms (and earldoms for that matter) do not necessarily include land or income, but the king or queen who creates the dukedom may make a gift of properrty to the new holder of the title. For example, The queen gave the Duke of York Sunninghill Park (which he sold a couple of years ago). Now he lives at Royal Lodge, Windsor, a house that belongs to the Queen, which he has paid to renovate in lieu of paying rent. The Earl of Wessex lives at Bagshot Park in Surrey, a large house. I am not sure if it was an outright gift from the Queen. If so, he can pass it down to his heir, Viscount Severn. The Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl of WEssex inherited valuable trusts from their grandmother, the Queen Mother, so they do have significant financial assets.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Crown Estate owns Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park as well as Windsor Great Park, which is where Andrew built his first home, Sunninghill Park, after his marriage to Sarah. Andrew's home was built as a gift from The Queen, but the land itself was acquired on a 99-year leasehold from the Crown Estate.

Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park are held from the Crown Estate on 99-year leaseholds. The Queen paid for the renovations of both homes as well as the cost of renewing the leases out of her private purse as a gift to her two sons.

The Crown Estate is inseparable from the Crown itself and belongs effectively to the State. Legally, however, The Sovereign still owns the assets and must formally agree to surrender the revenues to the Government at the beginning of each new reign.

In any case, there is no connection between any Peerage granted to the members of the royal family and land, with the exception of the Duchy of Cornwall, held by the eldest son and heir to the throne, and the Duchy of Lancaster, held by the Crown itself.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanskipper View Post
I believe this to be incorrect.

In what way is it incorrect?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
William (and by extension, Catherine) won't get the article "The" until Charles is King. Then she would be HRH The Princess William, Duchess of Cornwall, etc.
I don't believe I have ever heard a Royal Duchess referred to as "The Princess (her husband's name)". Once Charles is King and she is the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Rothsay, I would assume that she would use those titles. (That is assuming that William was not already made a Royal Duke on his wedding day.) Usually it is considered quite honor enough to be HRH The Duchess of Such and Such. In Catherine's case she would soon, if not instantly, become The Princess of Wales when William was invested as Prince of Wales as well! Why on earth would she want to call herself, "The Princess William"?

rawsilk
Old 04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawsilk

I don't believe I have ever heard a Royal Duchess referred to as "The Princess (her husband's name)". Once Charles is King and she is the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Rothsay, I would assume that she would use those titles. (That is assuming that William was not already made a Royal Duke on his wedding day.) Usually it is considered quite honor enough to be HRH The Duchess of Such and Such. In Catherine's case she would soon, if not instantly, become The Princess of Wales when William was invested as Prince of Wales as well! Why on earth would she want to call herself, "The Princess William"?

rawsilk
But.... I think technically it is how they can be called- Camilla while call the DOC has an officially title of The Princess Charles, Duchess of Cornwall etc.....,yes?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawsilk View Post

rawsilk

If William isn't created a Duke on or before his wedding day and if the Queen doesn't change the traditional way things are done in Britain then she will officially be HRH Princess William of Wales as he has no other title.

The British Royal Family have traditionally only allowed princesses born as such to be HRH Princess own name e.g. Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne and Alexandra while those who marry in are Princess husband's name e.g. Princess Michael of Kent (Diana was never officially Princess Diana but The Princess Charles. As Charles had other titles Diana used those but she was still The Princess Charles).
Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If William isn't created a Duke on or before his wedding day and if the Queen doesn't change the traditional way things are done in Britain then she will officially be HRH Princess William of Wales as he has no other title.

The British Royal Family have traditionally only allowed princesses born as such to be HRH Princess own name e.g. Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne and Alexandra while those who marry in are Princess husband's name e.g. Princess Michael of Kent (Diana was never officially Princess Diana but The Princess Charles. As Charles had other titles Diana used those but she was still The Princess Charles).
You misinterpreted my posting. I am aware that after their marriage, if William has not been made a royal duke, that Catherine will be, "Princess William of Wales". What I said was that if Prince Charles becomes King, that it is unlikely that Catherine will ever style herself as, "The Princess William of Wales" as one poster suggested!!! Please reread my original posting.

rawsilk
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Commoner

Well, what about HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, who was born the Lady Alice Christabel Montagu Douglas Scott? She was the wife of a Royal Duke (William of Gloucester), yet was addressed as Princess Alice throughout her very long life?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessRennie View Post
Well, what about HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, who was born the Lady Alice Christabel Montagu Douglas Scott? She was the wife of a Royal Duke (William of Gloucester), yet was addressed as Princess Alice throughout her very long life?

She was not officially Princess Alice until the Queen gave special permission after her husband died.

Until her husband's death officially she was HRH The Duchess of Gloucester.

If she was referred to as Princess Alice - before her husband's death - it was incorrect - just as it was always incorrect to refer to Diana as Princess Diana.

That means that on no official document, as opposed to the press, she would have been referred to as HRH The Duchess of Gloucester. She was however also The Princess Henry, Countess of Ulster and Baronnes Culloden.

When her husband died she didn't want to be known as HRH The Dowager Duchess of Gloucester but there was a new Duchess so that would have been her official designation. The Queen allowed her to be referred to as HRH Princess Alice - but not before 1972.

The problem with the press was that the Duke of Kent married Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark - a princess in her own right and so they would give Alice the same designation but they were wrong.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 AM

Their title will be Prince and Princee William of Windsor , as his Royal Highness does not care to be known as a duke .
Katherine will be known as HRH Princess William of Windsor .
Old 04-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Commoner

Ah, thank you, Iluvbertie, for that explanation. Makes sense, and I'm sure the Queen was glad to be able to grant her aunt by marriage's request...

Lynton5, your certainty (and inaccuracy) amazes me. Has William told you he prefers to be styled a Prince and not a Duke? I do wonder how you know these things... Pretty much no one with any kind of royal knowledge believes that any Windsor title (Duke of, particularly) will ever be used again, given the last (and only) holder and his character...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 AM

They will be known as , The Prince And Princess William of Wales .

However there was talk at court that they may adopt the title of Duke and Duchess of Windsor in honor of the Queens uncle King Edward the Eighth .
Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessRennie View Post
Ah, thank you, Iluvbertie, for that explanation. Makes sense, and I'm sure the Queen was glad to be able to grant her aunt by marriage's request...

Lynton5, your certainty (and inaccuracy) amazes me. Has William told you he prefers to be styled a Prince and not a Duke? I do wonder how you know these things... Pretty much no one with any kind of royal knowledge believes that any Windsor title (Duke of, particularly) will ever be used again, given the last (and only) holder and his character...
Unfortunately the Royal family were responsible for adding to the Duke of Windsors woes after abdicating , and since the death of the Queen Mother , her majesty has tried to make amends to to memory of her dear uncle .
Windsor is an appropriate title and one the Queen would like to resurrect as a mark of respect and to put the scandal behind them .
Old 04-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynton5 View Post
Unfortunately the Royal family were responsible for adding to the Duke of Windsors woes after abdicating , and since the death of the Queen Mother , her majesty has tried to make amends to to memory of her dear uncle .
Windsor is an appropriate title and one the Queen would like to resurrect as a mark of respect and to put the scandal behind them .
The point is that you write it down like it is a fact, but we don't know anything about it.
It is all personal opinion and speculation until the 29th.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 AM

from what l read, Prince William said he doesnt want any titles and should that happen, Catherine will be called Princess William.because she was not born of royal blood.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenin View Post
from what l read, Prince William said he doesnt want any titles and should that happen, Catherine will be called Princess William.because she was not born of royal blood.

It is that report that has raised quite a bit of the discussion on this board about the title Princess.

William was reported as saying he didn't want a dukedom but also wanted Kate to be known officially as Princess Catherine rather than Princess William

We will simply have to wait and see what Her Majesty does.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In what way is it incorrect?
Previously I was told 'William's eldest son would be "HRH Prince X" if he retains his current style, not "of Wales". He would not be the child of The Prince of Wales.
So, his children's styles are irrelevant to the question because the 1917 Letters Patent already state how they will be styled at birth automatically. The issue is one of giving his wife an appropriate title of her own, rather than using "Princess William".

That is however, incorrect, because William's eldest son will be 'HRH Prince X of Wales' if William retains his currect style without getting a territorial designation himself. William's oldest son will not be the child of the POW, but he will still be called 'HRH Prince X of Wales'

As a result, William's children's style is relevant to this question.

If William is not given a territorial designation, his oldest son will be known as 'HRH Prince X of Wales' during two different periods of his life: Once, from birth until the Queen's death; then again from the time when William become THE POW until when William comes to the throne.

As a result, I seriously doubt William will not get a territorial designation.

However, I do doubt he wants to become a Duke now (since he will automatically become a Duke when his father comes to the throne).

So I think he (and Harry) will follow Edward's example - become an Earl at their weddings, and become a Duke later. I predict William will not become a Duke until his father comes to the throne and Harry will be made a Duke probably around the same time as William becomes The POW.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenin View Post
Do you have any source on this? I'm not doubting it, necessarily, but William had better get used to having titles, so he might as well start now.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding