The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
see no problem with that - no difference to Duke and Duchess of xxxx - she is still giving up her own identity to take on his so...
You mean you won't be able to "recognize" Catherine if she becomes a duchess? ...interesting

Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine will always be Catherine. She'll just be known publicly by a title. That's it. Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Somewhere.....doesn't matter. Everyone here will still call her Kate or Catherine, the press will call her Princess Kate/Catherine regardless.......so it doesn't really make sense for anyone here to get their feathers ruffled or their dander up over what she'll be called publicly. People will call her whatever they want, no matter what.

Feminism to me is much like PETA. There are many with good intentions, but there are too many who go overboard and make everyone else look bad. Catherine isn't losing anything by marrying William. Everyone gains. Marriage is addition, not subtraction. It doesn't matter what you're called now, or what you'll be called after.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

I always enjoy your posts so much !
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, that's very kind.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

Sister Morphine an excellent post.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
You mean you won't be able to "recognize" Catherine if she becomes a duchess? ...interesting

No I mean that her name and title change because she is marrying.

Men don't lost their names/titles etc on marriage but a woman does.

Simple - whether she is called HRH Princess William or Duchess of xxx or whatever it is because of whom she is marrying not because of anything she has done or who she is as an individual but because of whom she is marrying.

That is why I see no difference as to what feminine title she uses - it is all because of who she is marrying.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B
Quote:

Simple - whether she is called HRH Princess William or Duchess of xxx or whatever it is because of whom she is marrying not because of anything she has done or who she is as an individual but because of whom she is marrying.

That is why I see no difference as to what feminine title she uses - it is all because of who she is marrying.
Most titles in the BRF are only affiliated with birth or marriage...

Should she remain Miss Catherine Elizabeth Middleton after she marries William? Hasn't this happened before...the wife of a royal prince not afforded a royal title? Nevertheless I don't think that will occur in this circumstance.

That being said I am of the strong conviction the William will be given a dukedom by the queen on his wedding day. I believe that he will be offered and will accept the Dukedom of Cambridge...he probably already has and the announcement will be made on the wedding day. I believe William has more in common with this dukedom than any other, save Cornwall & Rothesay...whether that is taken into consideration by her majesty's in making a decision....

just a thought, just a thought 
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

But to be fair don't all royals just get their title because of who their parents are and not anything they have actually done- they may accomplish great things later with the title but originally they haven't 'earned' it ad individual....Catherine may take her title from marriage but that doesn't mean she hasn't done anything as an individual (and to be honest I'm married and I earned the right to be Mrs X - if that's how I want to be known- marriage ain't easy! :) )

And some men do 'lose' their names- PrinceDaniel of Sweden's kids won't carryhis family name will they?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Courtier

It has always been the tradition that the woman uses her husband's name after marriage. Not doing so is very recent. Many professional women continue to use their maiden name professionally. Catherine will be HRH Princess William instead of plain Mrs. William Wales. same difference. I have been a Mrs. for 50+ years and I still love being married. I hope William and Catherine love being married.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Catherine will always be Catherine. She'll just be known publicly by a title. That's it. Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Somewhere.....doesn't matter. Everyone here will still call her Kate or Catherine, the press will call her Princess Kate/Catherine regardless.......so it doesn't really make sense for anyone here to get their feathers ruffled or their dander up over what she'll be called publicly. People will call her whatever they want, no matter what.

Feminism to me is much like PETA. There are many with good intentions, but there are too many who go overboard and make everyone else look bad. Catherine isn't losing anything by marrying William. Everyone gains. Marriage is addition, not subtraction. It doesn't matter what you're called now, or what you'll be called after.
Absolutely!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Why of course she will get titles because of whom she is marrying! Most women do...even if it is just Mrs. John Smith.
But on your other point I would like to think of it a little differently..more like what she will do as an individual with a royal title...the causes she will support the attention she will bring to different charities ect..
Old 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Nobility

But am I correct, cmkrcwi, that if William is not granted a dukedom, the pair will be known as Prince and Princess William of Wales -- without the "The?" That is unless the queen makes a special dispensation for Catherine to be styled in another manner...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine automatically becomes "HRH Princess William of Wales" as the wife of a male-line grandson of The Sovereign. If William is not created a Peer, this will then be her style, similar to Princess Michael.

If The Queen chooses to do so, she may announce Catherine will be known as "HRH Princess Catherine" upon marriage, a style not normally accorded to wives of Princes of the UK, but nonetheless it can be allowed if HM gives her consent.

Otherwise, Catherine will be "HRH The Countess or Duchess of X" as the wife of a Royal Peer.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
But am I correct, cmkrcwi, that if William is not granted a dukedom, the pair will be known as Prince and Princess William of Wales -- without the "The?" That is unless the queen makes a special dispensation for Catherine to be styled in another manner...

William (and by extension, Catherine) won't get the article "The" until Charles is King. Then she would be HRH The Princess William, Duchess of Cornwall, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Nobility

Even though the media and others will refer to her as Princess Catherine, I think Princess William is fine. I mean when you get married you take your husband's name it's not like it's degrading or anything. I understand some women keep there maiden name or something but really...you don't lose an identity nor is it shameful. I'd want to take my husband's name it's special to me.

No topic though, it's not a tradition not even close for the queen to create women marrying into the family princesses in their own right. Yes other monarchies do it, but, as my mother used to remind me as a kid, "I'm your mother, not they're and you are my daughter". Same with the British. Yes you can argue Princess Alice, but that was totally different circumstances.

Come on Princess William has an.....interesting ring to it.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
William's eldest son would be "HRH Prince X" if he retains his current style, not "of Wales". He would not be the child of The Prince of Wales.

So, his children's styles are irrelevant to the question because the 1917 Letters Patent already state how they will be styled at birth automatically. The issue is one of giving his wife an appropriate title of her own, rather than using "Princess William".
I believe this to be incorrect.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

Okay... Say the Queen grants William and Catherine with a dukedom... some of the availble ones like Connaught, or Clarence. Will land and homes be included? Or would they have to create 'Holdings' for the dukedom themselves?

Whenever I look up current Dukes's on Wikipedia and such, its always states what Homes/Manors'/Castles belong to them through the title.

So I'm really curious to know if they will get land and grand homes with their dukedom...?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM

As things stand Kate will be styled Princess William of Wales. Lets keep it that way. and I hope she will still be referred to as Kate. not Catherine.
The poor girl has to change so much in her life, at least she will feel like herself, as Kate
Old 04-16-2011, 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=pax;1233551]As things stand Kate will be styled Princess William of Wales. Lets keep it that way. and I hope she will still be referred to as Kate. not Catherine.
The poor girl has to change so much in her life, at least she will feel like herself, as Kate . Too much change is very difficult to take.
Duchess of something or other sound elderly to me, whereas Princess doesnt. She looks like a princess
Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Nobility

Throw the change my way..At my age.. I would LOVE a MAJOR transformation... he he

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding