The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I don't think I like the sound of it Duke of Clarence....nope not at all..
There used to be a TV series called Daktari in the 1960s - the animal hero was Clarence, the cross-eyed lion....

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
the morning of their wedding, Her Majesty will announce their titles.

2) Princess Catherine

3/4),,Duke/Duchess of Clarence/Cambridge
Sorry, she can't be Princess Catherine. She is not born a royal as are Princesses Anne, Beatrice and Eugenie. If the Queen created her a princess in her own right she would be setting an incredibly far reaching precedent. Ructions in her own family . . . . Gloucester's, Kent's etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Sorry, she can't be Princess Catherine. She is not born a royal as are Princesses Anne, Beatrice and Eugenie. If the Queen created her a princess in her own right she would be setting an incredibly far reaching precedent. Ructions in her own family . . . . Gloucester's, Kent's etc.
I do not believe anybody is suggesting that Catherine be created a princess in her own right - that I believe will not be appropriate. I had previously suggested that whilst Catherine would on marriage become The Princess William, ........ the couple could ask the Queen that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. There are many arguments for and against such a move, but irrespective of what she her real style and title is, she will be called Princess Kate by most people in the UK.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
It's not she can't be, but she probably won't be....I agree with Muriel that everyone will probably call her Princesd Catherine/Kate anyways so possibly the Queen should allow her to be styled as such....either way a Duchess/Duke title would make the point mute....and if bride and groom are ok w/Princess William it's ok w/me.... I go by Mrs J because it's my husbands name and now it's mine and it doesn't nullify anything I've accomplished and isn't my only accomplishment by far :)
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
There used to be a TV series called Daktari in the 1960s - the animal hero was Clarence, the cross-eyed lion....

oh my...lol...Well, I did not know that .
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Royal Highness

I do not agree. But if the Queen did do that, then I think the only fair thing to do is to create Princess Michael...Princess Marie Christine. Sorry, I believe in being fair. What you do for one, you do for the other, no matter their rank.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I do not agree. But if the Queen did do that, then I think the only fair thing to do is to create Princess Michael...Princess Marie Christine. Sorry, I believe in being fair. What you do for one, you do for the other, no matter their rank.
Except that Princess Michael's husband is not in line to the throne having forfeited his place when he married her. There lies the difference IMO.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen is not going to start a new precedent for wives of sons or male-line grandsons of The Sovereign, especially after the fiasco with Diana and Sarah divorcing her sons.

It will be "Princess William of Wales" or "Countess/Duchess of X".
Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
I hope you do appreciate the difference between being created a Princess of the UK, and being styled as a Princess.

I do not believe the comparison with Princess Michael is an appropriate one: Princess Michael is a relatively junior royal, and her husband is not even in the line of succession. Sophie is probably a closer comparison.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

As an independent female why should she take any title at all from her husband - whatever she uses it will be due to him and not anything she has done. Every name she uses from April 29 will be because of who she married and nothing else so why not be totally honest and use his name - Princess William sounds fine to me - as a feminist - it shows exactly what she has done.
Lovely post :)
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Except that Princess Michael's husband is not in line to the throne having forfeited his place when he married her. There lies the difference IMO.

Having given up his right to the throne doesn't impact at all on the title his wife has. She is called Princess Michael simply because he has no other title.

If Catherine was to convert to Catholicism tomorrow and thus deprive William of his right he would still be Prince William and she would still be entitled to be Princess William.

She won't be entitled to Princess Catherine for the simple reason that she wasn't born a princess.

As they claim to be a 'modern' couple and why not keep her own name of Catherine Middleton - and thus they become HRH Prince William of Wales and Ms Catherine Middleton (the feminist in me loves that concept).

I would love to see gender equality in titles and as females can't give titles to their husbands automatically I don't see why men can give them to their wives - totally discriminatory in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I don't think I like the sound of it Duke of Clarence....nope not at all..
I'm not crazy about "Clarence" myself (sorry, I don't mean to offend any Clarences on this forum), but it's a very old title and one with quite a history. Very appropriate.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

While the last king named William was the Duke of Clarence (Queen Victoria's uncle), the last royal to hold the title died young (George V's older brother). Much like the name John, I would assume they'd want to shy away from any names or designations that are ill-fated or otherwise "cursed".

I honestly believe it'll be Cambridge.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdxyz View Post
I'm actually leaning toward Duke of Clarence for William. King William IV was Duke of Clarence for 41 years before he became king. Why not give the same title to the prince who will probably one day become William V?
Not only that, but the last Duke of Clarence was also the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. I suspect if William becomes a Duke, it will be Clarence. Though I also think an Earl is more likely - since he will eventually get another Duke when his father comes to the throne. But I think getting no title is the most likely, especially since his children will be given titles as if William were a Duke anyway. Assuming he gets no title, what would his eldest son be named? 'HRH Prince X of Wales' (like his father)? Just plain 'HRH Prince X'? And his other children, what would they be titled? Lord and Lady of Wales? or just 'Lord and Lady'?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Gentry

I agree that if William and Catherine are bestowed a title it will be an Earldom. I believe it is more fitting since he is not the current heir and I just feel like William and Catherine would like a more "low key" title- As low key as an earl can get!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Oona View Post
I agree that if William and Catherine are bestowed a title it will be an Earldom. I believe it is more fitting since he is not the current heir and I just feel like William and Catherine would like a more "low key" title- As low key as an earl can get!

I see nothing wrong with an Earldom either for both the reasons you have stated.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanskipper View Post
But I think getting no title is the most likely, especially since his children will be given titles as if William were a Duke anyway. Assuming he gets no title, what would his eldest son be named? 'HRH Prince X of Wales' (like his father)? Just plain 'HRH Prince X'? And his other children, what would they be titled? Lord and Lady of Wales? or just 'Lord and Lady'?
According to Letters Patent issued in 1917 by George V, the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is afforded the title and style of HRH Prince X of Y. Any subsequent children would be styled as the children of a duke (or earl) and accordingly be Lord/Lady X Windsor. So say William and Kate have a son while the Queen is still on the throne. If they are the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, their son would be HRH Prince X of Cambridge (or whatever territorial designation they have). If their first born is a girl, she would be Lady X Windsor. If their next child after that girl is a son, he would HRH Prince X of Y.

All that would change obviously, once Charles becomes king. Because then William's children would be grandchildren of the sovereign in the male line and afforded the title and style of HRH Prince/Princess X of Y. Same for Harry's kids.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Courtier

I think that William will be given a Dukedom because it sets the stage for Harry who will not inherit a better title in the future in the traditional way. I would anticipate that Harry gets married while QEII is still living, gets a Dukedom and then is good to go.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
According to Letters Patent issued in 1917 by George V, the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is afforded the title and style of HRH Prince X of Y. Any subsequent children would be styled as the children of a duke (or earl) and accordingly be Lord/Lady X Windsor. So say William and Kate have a son while the Queen is still on the throne. If they are the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, their son would be HRH Prince X of Cambridge (or whatever territorial designation they have). If their first born is a girl, she would be Lady X Windsor. If their next child after that girl is a son, he would HRH Prince X of Y.

All that would change obviously, once Charles becomes king. Because then William's children would be grandchildren of the sovereign in the male line and afforded the title and style of HRH Prince/Princess X of Y. Same for Harry's kids.
The only thing different here would be that the surname would be Mountbatten Windsor rather than Windsor.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Having given up his right to the throne doesn't impact at all on the title his wife has. She is called Princess Michael simply because he has no other title.

If Catherine was to convert to Catholicism tomorrow and thus deprive William of his right he would still be Prince William and she would still be entitled to be Princess William.

She won't be entitled to Princess Catherine for the simple reason that she wasn't born a princess.

As they claim to be a 'modern' couple and why not keep her own name of Catherine Middleton - and thus they become HRH Prince William of Wales and Ms Catherine Middleton (the feminist in me loves that concept).

I would love to see gender equality in titles and as females can't give titles to their husbands automatically I don't see why men can give them to their wives - totally discriminatory in my opinion.
Yes, I understand that Prince Michael is still a Prince and his wife is still HRH, Princess Michael. I didn't say otherwise.

Although assuming the feminine form of the male title is traditional in the BRF, I find it antiquated compared to other royal houses. Perhaps one day that will change.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding