The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I will not be surprised if William receives an Earldom for now. I've said all along that I believe he will very much want to keep a lower profile when completing his millitary service, while at the same time not upstaging his father.

William automatically becomes The Duke of Cornwall the moment his father is King. I think giving him an Earldom makes sense and gives his wife an appropriate title to use.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I will not be surprised if William receives an Earldom for now.
Oh goodness. Has it already been discussed which earldoms are available?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
Oh goodness. Has it already been discussed which earldoms are available?
Too many to list. Earldoms are usually based on counties, cities or towns, so the possibilities are quite large. And the extinct Royal Dukedoms of Cambridge, Sussex, Windsor, etc. could all be re-created as Earldoms instead for William.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Again, what is inappropriate about being Princess William? I won't be upset if he is made something else, but I don't understand all the fuss about an "appropriate" title for Kate. She'll be the heir to the heir's spouse, elevated to HRH and GOLLY GEE....
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Nobility

I agree with you, KittyAtlanta!

I can think of worse things!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Nobility

I really like the idea of going by Princess William. It's historical and different and "cool" - sort of like when a commoner goes by Mrs. SoAndSo
Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Again, what is inappropriate about being Princess William? I won't be upset if he is made something else, but I don't understand all the fuss about an "appropriate" title for Kate. She'll be the heir to the heir's spouse, elevated to HRH and GOLLY GEE....
As a young, independent female, the thought of her being called Princess William gives me hives. There's an involuntary "oh h** no" that goes through my brain whenever it's suggested. I've never thought of myself as a feminist, but that prospect raises my feminist hackles. If the BRF wants to be a modern monarchy, that would be 500 steps in the wrong direction.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As a young, independent female, the thought of her being called Princess William gives me hives. There's an involuntary "oh h** no" that goes through my brain whenever it's suggested. I've never thought of myself as a feminist, but that prospect raises my feminist hackles. If the BRF wants to be a modern monarchy, that would be 500 steps in the wrong direction.

As an independent female why should she take any title at all from her husband - whatever she uses it will be due to him and not anything she has done. Every name she uses from April 29 will be because of who she married and nothing else so why not be totally honest and use his name - Princess William sounds fine to me - as a feminist - it shows exactly what she has done.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think it's particularly modern for Catherine to be styled as "HRH Princess William of Wales" upon marriage. It also seems inappropriate that the eldest son of The Prince of Wales wouldn't become a Peer on his wedding day.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As an independent female why should she take any title at all from her husband - whatever she uses it will be due to him and not anything she has done. Every name she uses from April 29 will be because of who she married and nothing else so why not be totally honest and use his name - Princess William sounds fine to me - as a feminist - it shows exactly what she has done.
I agree, it gives me the creeps, too. "Just think, Brad, an hour ago she was plain Betty Monroe, now she's MRS. RALPH HAPSCHATT!" (if there are any Rocky Horror fans in this forum). Really?

OTOH, that's what the whole title thing is based on, and as a wife she takes the title and styles of her husband. It's OK, as long as they don't take it too seriously.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Gentry

I'm actually leaning toward Duke of Clarence for William. King William IV was Duke of Clarence for 41 years before he became king. Why not give the same title to the prince who will probably one day become William V?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Just read this response to my post! Goodness! My first day as a newbie and I feel that the tone of the response [to which I will be replying to after work] seems rather aggressive. Lumutqueen doesn't seem to be using very courtly language.

Can someone tell me if this sort of treatment of fellow posters is usual?

Oh Dear, I thought I had joined a friendly forum, not an aggressive one.

Alex

Unfortunately over the last year or so and especially since the announcement of the engagement this board has become a lot more aggressive than it was in earlier times.

Welcome to the board and stick to your guns. Many posters here will attack you for your view (I know from personal experience) but your contributions will be welcomed.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Courtier

I just have to comment on the use of titles. HRH Princess William is the eqiivalant to Mrs. John Jones in the commoner world. Here in the US I know many women who use their legal married names in private life and keep their maiden name professionally especially if they are Dr.'s lawyers etc.. Would there be any way for a royal to do something similiar.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
OUCH!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The BRF family may be trying to make a mondern monarchy, but its Queen is still rooted in tradition and a title will be given. Weather it be Princess William or something else I see nothig wrong with Princess William. Athough I perfer Duchess of Cambridge.

note: if I am wrong someone feel free to correct me... but even if William gets a Duke, Earl ect her full title and style will still be for example:

Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis of Wales, Duchess of Cambridge... No matter what (unless the queen allows her to be Princess Catherine which i DON'T see happening) Kate will lose her first name untill she is;
HM Queen Catherine.(consort of course)
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Nobility

the morning of their wedding, Her Majesty will announce their titles.

1) Prince W
(no surprize there)

2) Princess Catherine

3/4),,Duke/Duchess of Clarence/Cambridge
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

As a young, independent female, I don't find offense in things that have nothing to do with me. The BRF is not like other monarchies; there isn't precedence for making commoners who marry into the royal family princesses in their own right. There just isn't. Princesses from other royal houses have married into the family (though the last was Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent), but that's different than Jane Doe doing it.

A woman who marries into the BRF takes her style from her husband. Camilla is HRH The Princess Charles, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, so forth and so on. Sophie is HRH The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex, so forth and so on. Catherine will be HRH Princess William of Wales, Duchess of X. That's how they do it. It's not offensive, it's not insulting, it's not degrading, it's not dehumanizing, it's not anything. It's not subjugating her, it's not shackling her barefoot and pregnant to the kitchen, it's not taking away her identity. She's still going to be Catherine, her name just won't be in her title until she's queen. Everyone is going to call her "Princess Kate" anyway, regardless of what title she actually ends up with, so who really cares? I mean seriously?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
the morning of their wedding, Her Majesty will announce their titles.

1) Prince W
(no surprize there)

2) Princess Catherine

3/4),,Duke/Duchess of Clarence/Cambridge

She won't need to announce the Prince/Princess as that is automatice (except that it should be Princess William).

But the actual title they will have officially will be announced.

This morning's Channel 7 breakfast show said that the favourite for the title was 'Clarence', which had of course been used by the last eldest son of a Prince of Wales until his death (Eddy).
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She won't need to announce the Prince/Princess as that is automatice (except that it should be Princess William).

But the actual title they will have officially will be announced.

This morning's Channel 7 breakfast show said that the favourite for the title was 'Clarence', which had of course been used by the last eldest son of a Prince of Wales until his death (Eddy).
I don't think I like the sound of it Duke of Clarence....nope not at all..
Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Being created Duke of Clarence makes the most sense to me. The last holder was the eldest son of Prince of Wales, Prince Albert Victor of Wales (Duke of Clarence and Avondale).

But it could be a total surprise too.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding