The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Probably a dumb question and a bit off-topic, but when Edward is created the Duke of Edinburgh, his children will become HRH automatically, right? They already are legally HRH but aren't styled as such, but in this instance they would be, correct?

First of all - there is no such thing as a 'dumb question'. If we don't ask questions we never learn.

So to answer your question - the decision to not use the HRH made by their parents applies regardless of title held.

I doubt that they will ever use it as by the time Edward gets Edinburgh they will be so used to Lord and Lady and so far from the throne (already 8th and 9th) and with William's engagement probably drop out of the top 10 within 5 years they will no be doing royal duties etc but have a life more like that of Peter and Zara Philips so having no HRH will be of use to them.

The only change that would happen would be that James would become the Earl of Wessex as that title would them be Edward's subsidiary title.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Commoner

Speaking of subsidiary titles...any thoughts on William getting one of Charles' subsidiary Earl titles instead of a Dukedom? I don't think that will be the case but I think it would be neat.

http://hipsterroyals.tumblr.com
Old 11-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Article from Yahoo!: What to Call Kate?

What to Call Kate? - Yahoo! News
Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well that would be HRH Princess William of Wales if William is not granted a dukedom or The Duchess of Wherever, should he be given one.
Quote:
The official title will likely be Her Royal Highness Catherine of Wales
No it won't.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Commoner

Too bad that article is wrong....

Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishthanhy View Post
Speaking of subsidiary titles...any thoughts on William getting one of Charles' subsidiary Earl titles instead of a Dukedom? I don't think that will be the case but I think it would be neat.

It won't happen.

No son of a Prince of Wales has ever used one of the Earldom's as a courtesy title. If William was going to use that he would have been doing so since birth.

Just as he has never used Baron Greenwich (Philip's third title) he has never used one of Charles' so he won't start now.

He will either get a title in his own right or simply remain Prince William of Wales and his wife will be Princess William of Wales.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Too bad that article is wrong....
I'm not surprised when the American press gets it wrong, but I have been watching the BBC, and I was surprised that the British press can't seem to get it straight either!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
I'm not surprised when the American press gets it wrong, but I have been watching the BBC, and I was surprised that the British press can't seem to get it straight either!

There was a time when the media prided themselves on getting things right but over the last generation of so that pride has disappeared, especially with regard to the reporting on the royals.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There was a time when the media prided themselves on getting things right but over the last generation of so that pride has disappeared, especially with regard to the reporting on the royals.
Yes, sadly that's true in the States, too.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Commoner

Well, the situation with Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex had never happened before, so it was just a thought.
Personally I think the rules of royalty have been changing over the past few decades, so it's never easy to tell what will happen.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, the situation with Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex had never happened before, so it was just a thought.

Personally I think the rules of royalty have been changing over the past few decades, so it's never easy to tell what will happen.
You are being extremely kind. As previously mentioned, royalty doesn't have the same importance so why bother with the details. But more important, in this instant information age.....people do their "research" on the internet" and we all know if you click on the right page (or what you think is the right page) you can get misinformation and you wouldn't actually know it. Think of all those youtube videos that exists out there that many consider to be truth. If you want to prove the sky is purple, I am sure you can find something on the internet to support your theory.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Aristocracy

So, there's been some reports out today that Kate will be eased, very gently into the royal role/responsibilities and it just got me to thinking... If they're going to let her hole up in Wales with William and not do too much until he's completed his SAR tour, then perhaps he won't receive a title immediately. If she's not doing much in the way of taking on any patronages and not making many appearances then is it really necessary for him to become HRH The Duke of Whatever and her HRH The Duchess of Whatever?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Majesty

The alternative is for her officially to be Princess William and that won't be happening I don't think so a title would mean that things like the Court Circular and the official monarchy website would be able to refer the HRH The Duchess of xxx rather than HRH Princess William of Wales.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

What to Call Kate?

...Once married, Kate Middleton will unofficially become "Princess Catherine." The official title will likely be Her Royal Highness Catherine of Wales. Eventually, after many years and barring any unforeseen tragedy or divorce, she and William will become the Queen and King of England...
Article
Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Royal Highness

I would like it if they decided on a Scottish dukedom for William and Catherine (will try to get used to that name, now!). They met in Scotland, they love the country, William is a "Prince of Scotland" and will one day be The Duke of Rothesay (that is: Crown Prince of Scotland). So the queen could create a dukedom of the UK with a Scottish place name, like duke of Balmoral or duke of Lochnagar or duke of Braemar. Or whatever suitable place is on the Balmoral estate. Or she could choose an ancient Scottish Royal dukedom, if there are any besides Rothesay.

I just found that king William IV. of the UK, son of George III. and uncle of queen Victoria had been "Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews" before he inherited the crwon. Wouldn't Duke and Duchess of St. Andrews not be suitable titles for William and his Catherine?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Gentry

The Duke of Albany was traditionally the Scottish equivalent of the English Duke of York title (second son of the sovereign.) It's probably regarded as a tricky one. Queen Victoria created her youngest son Leopold Duke of Albany, however his son was divested of the title in 1917 (having by that time also taken on the Dukedom of Saxe-Coburg and become sufficiently not British in wartime.) So the title is technically available, but the male progeny of the last holder continue to lay claim to the title.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well that would be HRH Princess William of Wales if William is not granted a dukedom or The Duchess of Wherever, should he be given one.
I wouldn't be surprised if the press drops the 'William' and refers to her as 'Princess of Wales', much like Diana was called. Camilla's not using the title although she's entitled to it.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

It would be nice if there was a Welsh dukedom available or an area in Wales that is not being used as a dukedom or earldom.

With regard to RubyPrincess168's comment, in one kind of way, Kate will be a princess "OF" Wales (if no other title is given to William), just not THE princess of Wales....just as William and Harry are both "OF" Wales.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_Lulu View Post
The Duke of Albany was traditionally the Scottish equivalent of the English Duke of York title (second son of the sovereign.) It's probably regarded as a tricky one. Queen Victoria created her youngest son Leopold Duke of Albany, however his son was divested of the title in 1917 (having by that time also taken on the Dukedom of Saxe-Coburg and become sufficiently not British in wartime.) So the title is technically available, but the male progeny of the last holder continue to lay claim to the title.
Carl Edward, Duke of Saxe Coburg lost his the title for himself and heirs in the Tites Deprivation Act.

According to Wikipedia:

Yhe Titles Deprivation Act is an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom according to which enemies of the United Kingdom during the First World War could be deprived of their peerage and royal titles. Its long title was An Act to deprive Enemy Peers and Princes of British Dignities and Titles. It received royal assent on 8 November 1917.

The committee issued their report in August 1918 and it was thereafter laid before the Houses of Parliament. Since no resolution was passed by either House disapproving of the report, it was presented to the King on 28 March 1919, and, on the same date, as a result of the findings of the report, the King issued an Order-in-Council depriving the following persons of their titles:To date, no descendant of the persons who were deprived of their titles has petitioned the Crown for the restoration of the said titles.

--------------
Basically I would think that the title is available but I don't belieev the Queen will use it.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Commoner

hello! why would William take a dukedom when it is a stepdown when for 26 years he's been a prince! Kate deserves to be Princess Catherine of Wales - once the queen dies they would be retitled as Prince/Princess of Wales its pointless!

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding