The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

People will always refer to public figures in familiar terms, and I don't doubt she will regularly be called 'Kate' but that just enables the public to associate with her on a more, dare I say, 'involved' level.

As we know, officially she will always be Catherine, and that's all the matters. Though if William is created a royal Duke, then the media would be perfectly aware that it will be obliged to address her as a 'Duchess'. That then being her principal title.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Repeat yourselves as much as you like good folk, she won't be made a princess in her own right. Accept it or not, it wont change a thing.

Next...

I agree. Her Majesty won't make that big of a change.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
Why does Kate even have to get a title?
Because that's how it's done when a woman marries into a royal family -- she receives the feminine form of her husband's title(s). It would be akin to a woman marrying into your standard run-of-the-mill family and either taking her husband's last name, or hyphenating it with her maiden name.

Quote:
She could just be Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor or Mrs. Catherine Middleton.
She can't be Mrs. Catherine Middleton because she's not marrying a man whose last name is Middleton. She's marrying a man who in essence, has no last name at all.

Quote:
Since she is technically marrying a man that possess a HRH he legally does not have a last name correct?
Correct. Although on the banns of marriage, he may do as his aunt and uncle (and I believe his father) did, and list his last name as Mountbatten-Windsor, though I don't think that's required. His signature is just "William", and that's it.

Quote:
I would also like to know if because she is marrying a male member of the royal family will she automatically become HRH Princess William of Wales? In that case she could be Mrs. Catherine Wales.
She would be HRH Princess William of Wales, because that's the feminine form of her husband's title/style, which I mentioned above. She would not be Mrs. Catherine Wales, because Wales is not his last name. When he and Harry were in school (much like Beatrice and Eugenie would use York), he would use Wales as a last name if he needed one, but it's not his legal surname.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Because that's how it's done when a woman marries into a royal family -- she receives the feminine form of her husband's title(s). It would be akin to a woman marrying into your standard run-of-the-mill family and either taking her husband's last name, or hyphenating it with her maiden name.

She can't be Mrs. Catherine Middleton because she's not marrying a man whose last name is Middleton. She's marrying a man who in essence, has no last name at all.

Correct. Although on the banns of marriage, he may do as his aunt and uncle (and I believe his father) did, and list his last name as Mountbatten-Windsor, though I don't think that's required. His signature is just "William", and that's it.

She would be HRH Princess William of Wales, because that's the feminine form of her husband's title/style, which I mentioned above. She would not be Mrs. Catherine Wales, because Wales is not his last name. When he and Harry were in school (much like Beatrice and Eugenie would use York), he would use Wales as a last name if he needed one, but it's not his legal surname.
He uses it in the military too doesn't he? At least Harry I am sure has Wales on his uniform, instead of a surname.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know he did when he first joined the military, so it would make sense if he continues to do so.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

Just a side note about an upthread conversation about the use of the letter R. after a Queen's name. I too thought it was used only by Queens who reigned in their own right, but Queen Elizabeth (the Queen mom) used it frequently in her letters, starting immediately after her coronation. That's in the Shawcross book. As far as I can tell, her husband never corrected her nor did anyone tell her not to do it.

She was the reigning Queen at the time, although as a consort - still, when George VI died, she was no longer The Queen (as she was before). I'm going to have to check the book, but I believe she still used the R. a few more times (possibly out of habit) in letters to friends.

It does stand for the Latin for Queen, and perhaps that's how she thought of it.

So one day, we might see Catherine signing her name, Catherine R. as shorthand for Catherine, Queen of England.

Or Kate R.

I myself will have no trouble referring to her as Duchess Kate if she's got the title of Duchess...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Nobility

I wonder if William and Kate are granted an earldom or ducal title, would they request that their children just be 'lord' and 'lady' as Sophie and Edward did with Louise and James, or as the heir of the heir, would William even have that option?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There eldest child is going to be the King or Queen one day, I doubt they'll ever have the option of a quiet life even with a Lord or Lady title.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Under the current LPs William's eldest son will automatically be an HRH but until Charles becomes King (or William if Charles predeceases the Queen) the other children will be Lord or Lady.

William could ask for them to remain that way throughout their lives, of course, giving them a lower profile forever but...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Anne Boleyn signed her name "Anna Regina" or "Anna the Queen". So yes, when Catherine is queen, she could sign her name "Catherine Regina" or Catherine R" and it would appropriate.

As for what William and Kate's future kids will have as titles/styles, it depends on when they're born. According to Letters Patent, the eldest son of the eldest son of the PoW is entitled to the HRH Prince X, but all children after that are merely Lord/Lady. Now, if their first-born is a girl, and she is born while the Queen still lives, she'd be Lady X. If their ducal title is Cambridge, she'd be Lady X Cambridge. If their first born is a son, he'd be HRH Prince X of Cambridge. Once Charles is King, as grandchildren of the monarch in the male line, all their children would be elevated to HRH Prince/Princess X of Cambridge (or whatever their ducal title is).
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
Under the current LPs William's eldest son will automatically be an HRH but until Charles becomes King (or William if Charles predeceases the Queen) the other children will be Lord or Lady.

William could ask for them to remain that way throughout their lives, of course, giving them a lower profile forever but...
Would William and Kate's younger children not be His/Her Highness? Or would they simply be Lord/Lady. For some reason I remember a His/Her Highness somewhere...:shrug:
Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Penelope View Post
Would William and Kate's younger children not be His/Her Highness? Or would they simply be Lord/Lady. For some reason I remember a His/Her Highness somewhere...:shrug:

No, they'd be Lord/Lady. It used to be that great-grandchildren of the monarch in the male line were HH Prince/Princess. George VI was the great-grandson of Queen Victoria, and was thus HH Prince Albert of York when he was born. In 1917 however, George V created new Letters Patent, which changed that.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Courtier

^^previous

Thanks!! :)

I couldn't remember...darn my memory!!
Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

Should Kate get the title princess of wales upon marriage or is it camilla's?
I think it should be
Prince william of wales and princess Catherine of wales.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I think it should be
It's Camilla's until Charles becomes King.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I think it should be

Camilla is the Princess of Wales, as she's married to the Prince of Wales. Catherine will not be the Princess of Wales until such a time as Charles creates William the Prince of Wales.

Furthermore, Catherine won't be Princess Catherine of Wales, because she's not a princess of the blood, and it's highly, highly doubtful the Queen will create her a princess in her own right, when she didn't do the same for her daughters-in-law, or her cousins' wives. She will be HRH Princess William of Wales, or HRH The Duchess of X, if the Queen grants William a dukedom on his wedding day.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

So when Charles becomes king and Camilla queen, then William and Catherine will be Prince(ss) of Wales and will officially be known as such? But in the public eyes they´ll be Prince William and Princess Catherine?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
So when Charles becomes king and Camilla queen, then William and Catherine will be Prince(ss) of Wales and will officially be known as such? But in the public eyes they´ll be Prince William and Princess Catherine?

No. Prince of Wales is not an automatic title; each time it is conferred, it must first be created. When Charles becomes King, William will be HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall & _____ (whatever ducal title he could receive from the Queen) and Catherine will be HRH The Princess William, Duchess of Cornwall & _____.

They'll probably always be referred to in the press as Prince William and Princess Catherine (although in her case that would be incorrect, as she'll never be Princess Catherine) until they are King and Queen.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
No. Prince of Wales is not an automatic title; each time it is conferred, it must first be created. When Charles becomes King, William will be HRH The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall & _____ (whatever ducal title he could receive from the Queen) and Catherine will be HRH The Princess William, Duchess of Cornwall & _____.

They'll probably always be referred to in the press as Prince William and Princess Catherine (although in her case that would be incorrect, as she'll never be Princess Catherine) until they are King and Queen.
Thanks for your answer

But may I say that I am glad to live in Denmark, where this titlething isn´t that difficult as it seems it is in the UK
Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
No, they'd be Lord/Lady. It used to be that great-grandchildren of the monarch in the male line were HH Prince/Princess. George VI was the great-grandson of Queen Victoria, and was thus HH Prince Albert of York when he was born. In 1917 however, George V created new Letters Patent, which changed that.
If they change the law, making the first born the heir to the throne regardless of the gender, then a daughter would be know as HRH Princess .... ??

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding