The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
A lot of this debate was triggered when I suggested that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, there is little basis for that IMO. However, being styled as Princess Catherine would just be a formal recognition of what she will be called by everybody.
In the Wessex's thread the papers in Bermuda (?) called the Countess Princess Sophie so it's safe to assume no matter what her official title many press and public will always call her Princess Catherine/Kate......

Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I thought "Dowager" is reserved for the mother of the next holder of the title and only when the next holder of title gets married, so the female title goes to the new wife.
I believe that " Dowager" shows who is the widow of the previous holder of the title and is not limited to the mother of the next holder ,who can also be a niece or nephew instead of a son or daughter .

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Questions and discussion about the Dowager title can be found here Questions about future Queens, Dowagers and surviving spouses .

Again, let's try to stay on topic with the title for William and Catherine.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm wondering if we're going to see William and Kate's second and any after as Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor instead of just Windsor?
I'd assume so, it is the family's official last name. There just have been no one in Philip and Elizabeth's line so far to need the title. Others who are Lord and Lady Windsor, are of no relation to Prince Philip, who brings the Mountbattan in, other than by his marriage to the queen.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
A lot of this debate was triggered when I suggested that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, there is little basis for that IMO. However, being styled as Princess Catherine would just be a formal recognition of what she will be called by everybody.
I don't see why anyone would call Catherine that if she becomes The Duchess or Countess of X. The media called Diana that because she was "Lady Di" in the press before she married and became Princess of Wales. She was never styled as a Duchess or Countess.

It was a habit that continued and the Palace never objected to "Princess Diana" because Diana was the wife of the heir to the throne and mother of a future king.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
It was a habit that continued and the Palace never objected to "Princess Diana" because Diana was the wife of the heir to the throne and mother of a future king.

The Palace may have not said anything to correct this but, Diana did.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
A newspaper today called Countess Wessex Princess Sophie, so it does happen and of course the palace didn't object, I'd imagine as long as the proper title/style is used for official reasons/events they could care less how someone is refeared to in press (just my guess- unless maybe it was the Queen)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
A newspaper today called Countess Wessex Princess Sophie, so it does happen and of course the palace didn't object, I'd imagine as long as the proper title/style is used for official reasons/events they could care less how someone is refeared to in press (just my guess- unless maybe it was the Queen)
The Palace was questioned before about the use of "Princess Diana" and stated in response that it was acceptable because Diana automatically became a Princess of the UK with her marriage, but officially she was "HRH The Princess of Wales".

After the divorce, the Palace was again questioned about the proper form of address for Diana and they stated she was still a Princess as the mother of a future king and suggested "The Princess" or "Ma'am" in conversation.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg

The Palace was questioned before about the use of "Princess Diana" and stated in response that it was acceptable because Diana automatically became a Princess of the UK with her marriage, but officially she was "HRH The Princess of Wales".

After the divorce, the Palace was again questioned about the proper form of address for Diana and they stated she was still a Princess as the mother of a future king and suggested "The Princess" or "Ma'am" in conversation.
And won't Catherine fall into both these catagories.... My point I guess is it's a mute point if she remains Princess William instead of her husband being given a title such as Duke, then she'll still be called Princess Catherine and it obviously doesn't bother the palace if she's refeared that way in the press, that's all I was trying to say
Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Please note that off topic posts that have NOTHING do with the subject of a Title for William, Catherine and Family have been deleted.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
She'll still be called Princess Catherine and it obviously doesn't bother the palace if she's refeared that way in the press, that's all I was trying to say
I guess they think better "Princess Catherine" than just "Kate".....
Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And won't Catherine fall into both these catagories.... My point I guess is it's a mute point if she remains Princess William instead of her husband being given a title such as Duke, then she'll still be called Princess Catherine and it obviously doesn't bother the palace if she's refeared that way in the press, that's all I was trying to say
If she is styled Princess William of Wales, I would expect the media to call her "Princess Kate". But the likelihood of that happening is very slim to none.

The Queen will undoubtedly create her grandson a Duke or Earl, so she will likely be styled "HRH The Duchess or Countess of X" for many years.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann
NO, really thanks for your wisdom.. I have only been posting here for four or five years and had NO idea....please...why do people feel the need to place common sense corrections...She will Still be Queen Catherine.... Enough with the (own Right) she has no rights to title she is marring in to the BRF can we move on.........

Osipi wrote: I have to remark here that I am glad the posters do post the common sense corrections to statements I've made even though sometimes I slap myself on the head and go "duh... I knew that". When I first started reading here, its how I learned and I imagine that its the same way for many of our members when they first join up and start reading. Its how I learned there is a big difference between a Queen Consort such as the Queen Mum was and Queen Regnant such as Elizabeth now is. Interesting to me too is that this is how I found out why the Queen signs things Elizabeth R. That had puzzled me for a long time.

Thank you so much Osipi for writing the post above!

I was simply answering a question thinking I am being helpful, and get trashed for it. Really the utter rudeness of a small few on this forum is unbelievable. Why ask a question and then be so scathing to someone who answers?

As other posters have mentioned I agree Sussex is nice too. Before Edward was created Earl of Wessex I had the idea he might have been styled Duke of Cambridge as he went to Jesus College Cambridge. Maybe the title Prince William will hold has been discussed and already decided many years ago?

I wonder what would be the most unusual title William could officially be given not that we hopes he gets it, just for fun?
Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann
NO, really thanks for your wisdom.. I have only been posting here for four or five years and had NO idea....please...why do people feel the need to place common sense corrections...She will Still be Queen Catherine.... Enough with the (own Right) she has no rights to title she is marring in to the BRF can we move on.........

Osipi wrote: I have to remark here that I am glad the posters do post the common sense corrections to statements I've made even though sometimes I slap myself on the head and go "duh... I knew that". When I first started reading here, its how I learned and I imagine that its the same way for many of our members when they first join up and start reading. Its how I learned there is a big difference between a Queen Consort such as the Queen Mum was and Queen Regnant such as Elizabeth now is. Interesting to me too is that this is how I found out why the Queen signs things Elizabeth R. That had puzzled me for a long time.

Thank you so much Osipi for writing the post above!

I was simply answering a question thinking I am being helpful, and get trashed for it. Really the utter rudeness of a small few on this forum is unbelievable. Why ask a question and then be so scathing to someone who answers?

As other posters have mentioned I agree Sussex is nice too. Before Edward was created Earl of Wessex I had the idea he might have been styled Duke of Cambridge as he went to Jesus College Cambridge. Maybe the title Prince William will hold has been discussed and already decided many years ago?

I wonder what would be the most unusual title William could officially be given not that we hopes he gets it, just for fun?
Taking inspiration from my favorite British show ever

HRH William, Earl of Peebles, Baron Blackadder

Or if Duke of Sussex since they need new secondary titles

HRH William, Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dingwall (scotland), Viscount Bullyhole bottom (Yes really a town in Wales)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Taking inspiration from my favorite British show ever

HRH William, Earl of Peebles, Baron Blackadder

Or if Duke of Sussex since they need new secondary titles

HRH William, Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dingwall (scotland), Viscount Bullyhole bottom (Yes really a town in Wales)
Oh my god, you came up with those fast! Those are fricking hilarious! (You are one of a few lately to mention Blackadder, I have only seen bits and pieces in repeats so I will have to seek it out on DVD.)

Viscount Bullyhole Bottom kind of has a nice ring to it....
Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Oh my god, you came up with those fast! Those are fricking hilarious! (You are one of a few lately to mention Blackadder, I have only seen bits and pieces in repeats so I will have to seek it out on DVD.)

Viscount Bullyhole Bottom kind of has a nice ring to it....
I found an interesting site of weirdest names of towns in England once upon a time.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

If it were up to me, I'd encourage the press to use the proper title (whatever it was) and mark as a mere tabloid those papers that refuse to follow etiquette and protocol.

If I were the Queen, I'd give Prince William the Dukedom of Cambridge, as the title was part of the style of her great grand mother Mary Adelaide, and Catherine could go by Duchess Catherine until she becomes Princess of Wales.

In that way, the assumption of the new titles at the time of the Queen's death assists everyone in the transition and inevitable grieving process. Kate then has time to ascend through some steps to a loftier title. She could of course call herself Princess William, but I think William will be made a Duke on the morning of his wedding (or the day before, I'd like to know more about how these things are done).

I would be happy to call her Duchess Kate, if that's what she prefers. I'm sure the American media will call her Princess Kate in any case, although some will add Duchess of X, in an attempt to show they know something about another nation's system.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
If it were up to me, I'd encourage the press to use the proper title (whatever it was) and mark as a mere tabloid those papers that refuse to follow etiquette and protocol.

If I were the Queen, I'd give Prince William the Dukedom of Cambridge, as the title was part of the style of her great grand mother Mary Adelaide, and Catherine could go by Duchess Catherine until she becomes Princess of Wales.

In that way, the assumption of the new titles at the time of the Queen's death assists everyone in the transition and inevitable grieving process. Kate then has time to ascend through some steps to a loftier title. She could of course call herself Princess William, but I think William will be made a Duke on the morning of his wedding (or the day before, I'd like to know more about how these things are done).

I would be happy to call her Duchess Kate, if that's what she prefers. I'm sure the American media will call her Princess Kate in any case, although some will add Duchess of X, in an attempt to show they know something about another nation's system.
For all the talks about William and Kate bringing a "modern" touch to the royal family getting all new titles is not very modern at all. Why does Kate even have to get a title? She could just be Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor or Mrs. Catherine Middleton. Though I do think if that were the case she would take Mountbatten-Windsor. Since she is technically marrying a man that possess a HRH he legally does not have a last name correct? I would also like to know if because she is marrying a male member of the royal family will she automatically become HRH Princess William of Wales? In that case she could be Mrs. Catherine Wales.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
For all the talks about William and Kate bringing a "modern" touch to the royal family getting all new titles is not very modern at all. Why does Kate even have to get a title? She could just be Mrs. Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor or Mrs. Catherine Middleton. Though I do think if that were the case she would take Mountbatten-Windsor. Since she is technically marrying a man that possess a HRH he legally does not have a last name correct? I would also like to know if because she is marrying a male member of the royal family will she automatically become HRH Princess William of Wales? In that case she could be Mrs. Catherine Wales.
Not giving her a title would be saying to the people 'who needs titles' and I think there is enough movement towards getting rid of the monarchy, without adding more fuel to the fire.

She will be getting a title, standard practice. She will either be Princess William of Wales, or Duchess of X.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Nobility

Despite all this talk, I can't actually imagine the press calling her Princess William or the Duchess of Cambridge. I can't imagine doing it myself. Who are those people? She's Kate. By virtue of having been the girlfriend of William for so long, she's known very well as Kate. It will be hard enough to stop calling her Kate Middleton. You can see how well Catherine has stuck...

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but there is no way I'm using Princess William and the Duchess of Cambridge- besides sounding like William's great aunt- is a non-person. Nobody will latch on to it. Especially if she only has it for a short period of time. Whatever the palace does, they have to know that.

The monarchy has a facebook and flickr page, announced the engagement on Twitter, and have created multiple websites for the wedding. They seem to be trying to be modern. I think the monarchy is a great thing only so long as they keep up. At what point do they choose modernity and living in the real world over tradition? This is a good time.

I'm in the Princess Catherine camp, but regardless she'll always be Kate.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding