The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
I'm sorry in your mind the only two options are she is either Princess William or is granted the right to be called Princess Catherine? It is pretty standard custom, when a royal prince weds, he is granted a title whether it be duke or Earl. If William is, then she will be Catherine Duchess of Camebridge for instance.

The fact is the queen is 80. Her mother lived to be 102, so the queen could rule for another 10-20 years. I don't see her abdicating like the Dutch do. It isn't like the queen is on her death bed, and Will will become Duke of Cornwall in a year or so. He could, but the queen seems in good health. Perhaps an earl or marquis, since the title will just merge with the throne when he becomes king, but a title I don't see being too out there.
The Queen will be 85 on April 26th. She will be 100 in 15 years. There is no guaranty that she will live to 100 or beyond.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
April 26th
21st, actually

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
21st, actually
Yep, 21st.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

I think a Peerage is likely because of the children

It is quite concievable that HM may still be alive and reigning when William and Kate have their second child.....If there is no peerage title under the Act of 1917 William's second son or daughters would simply by Mr/Miss
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
The Queen will be 85 on April 26th. She will be 100 in 15 years. There is no guaranty that she will live to 100 or beyond.
Apologize, 85. But still she could live for another 10-15 years. She may not, you're right, but considering the long lives of the women in her family and her good health, the chances are good. Even if it is only another 5-10 years, that is still a good wait before William is Duke of Cornwall. He will be done his current military stunt in 2 years, and likely will be more active in royal duties. It would make sense for him to have a title of some kind.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Heir Apparent

If a title is granted, I'm still hoping for the Duke of Sussex.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Mary, Mette-Marit and Letizia were not made princesses in their own right. Mathilde and Maxima were.
Sorry one more OT- then why is it ok that Princess Mary is called that? Or is that a 'press'/forum thing? Because here and in press they're called Princess Mary or Princess Mette-Marit.....why is it different for BRF the Catherine being Princess William?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
If a title is granted, I'm still hoping for the Duke of Sussex.
If it is, a new secondary title would have to be created. The only Duke of Sussex was Prince Augustus Frederick, son of George III. He was Duke of Sussex, Earl of Inverness and Baron Arklow. Arklow is in Ireland, and I don't think he can get a peerage for the republic. And the Earl of Inverness is one of Andrew's titles.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sorry one more OT- then why is it ok that Princess Mary is called that? Or is that a 'press'/forum thing? Because here and in press they're called Princess Mary or Princess Mette-Marit
That is just how the press and public at large refer to them. It's not their official designation.

I personally don't refer to them this way as it's not correct.
Quote:

If it is, a new secondary title would have to be created. The only Duke of Sussex was Prince Augustus Frederick, son of George III. He was Duke of Sussex, Earl of Inverness and Baron Arklow. Arklow is in Ireland, and I don't think he can get a peerage for the republic. And the Earl of Inverness is one of Andrew's titles.
Why do some people assume one is not aware of the history behind the written topic?

I'm very much aware of all the above I just like the title. It resonates well with me. Whether or not it's all that feesable is another matter.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Sorry one more OT- then why is it ok that Princess Mary is called that? Or is that a 'press'/forum thing? Because here and in press they're called Princess Mary or Princess Mette-Marit.....why is it different for BRF the Catherine being Princess William?
Because like the press, we don't follow the rules. People here refer to Diana as Princess Diana all the time. I assume no matter her title, people will refer to Kate here as Princess Catherine/Kate whether proper or not, when married.

Also technically Mary would not be referred to as Princess Friedrick. Her husband's title is the equivalent of a peerage. It is like us referring to Camilla as Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall instead of simply HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Mary is properly HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark. Catherine if Wills is Duke of Sussex, will likely be called by press and forums Catherine, Duchess of Sussex, but it in fact HRH the Duchess of Sussex. Denmark does not give a Ducal/Princedome title to its heir, it is simple Crown prince or princess. Other countries are like UK with Prince of Wales, and have Duke of Brabant, Prince of Austurius, Prince of Orange.

I wonder if the fact Maxima is a princess in her own right has anything to do with the fact she can't be Princess of Orange. There is no title for the heir's wife. The princess of orange would be one in line for the throne, like Catharina-Amalia will be. There is no equivelant like Princess of Wales. But then againt Mathilde is a princess in her own right, but also Duchess of Brabant.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
That is just how the press and public at large refer to them. It's not their official designation.

I personally don't refer to them this way as it's not correct.

Why do some people assume one is not aware of the history behind the written topic?

I'm very much aware of all the above I just like the title. It resonates well with me. Whether or not it's all that feesable is another matter.
I didn't assume one way or another. And it is very fessible, to give new secondary titles in a new creation of the name. I was just putting it out there. A lot of people read the forum, and may not know Inverness is one of Andrew's titles, or Asklow is in Ireland. Or for that matter those are the secondary titles for the Duke of Sussex.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

It's fine. Nothing was meant by it.

Still, Duke of Sussex is my preference so here's hoping the Queen is of the same opinion.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
It's fine. Nothing was meant by it.

Still, Duke of Sussex is my preference so here's hoping the Queen is of the same opinion.
I agree, I like Duke and Duchess of Sussex. I don't know Camebridge is nice too, but it makes me think of the university, which William broke with tradition by not going to. But if he had, well then there would be no wedding, at least not to Kate, so it seems fate.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
If William becomes the King I think that Kate would become the "Queen Consort" which is different than Elizabeth who is the Queen of England, etc. in her own right.

NO, really thanks for your wisdom.. I have only been posting here for four or five years and had NO idea....please...why do people feel the need to place common sense corrections...She will Still be Queen Catherine.... Enough with the (own Right) she has no rights to title she is marring in to the BRF can we move on.........
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
If they have no children and Harry becomes king, she would be the dowager queen. If he died before he takes the throne, and they have a child, she'd be dowager duchess of ......
I thought "Dowager" is reserved for the mother of the next holder of the title and only when the next holder of title gets married, so the female title goes to the new wife. So if William died as a Royal Duke without leaving children, Catherine would be still "The Duchess of X" and if he died childless as king, she would be HM Queen Catherine. Same happened to Queen Marie Adelaide when her niece Victoria became new queen regnant. Augusta, The Dowager Princess of Wales, was the mother of the next king, George III., thus she was the "Dowager" Princess. Joan of Kent was the mother of the next king, too, while Catherine of Aragon as widow of Arthur Prince of Wales was not named "Dowager" Princess at first - only when Henry VIII. tried to get an anulment of their marriage, he granted her that title to make his claim public that Catherine and Arthur's marriage had in fact been valid and thus his marriage to her was invalid.

HM Queen Elizabeth was only named The Queen Mother because her daughter was named Elizabeth as well, to avoid confusion.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHofNothing View Post
I think a Peerage is likely because of the children

It is quite concievable that HM may still be alive and reigning when William and Kate have their second child.....If there is no peerage title under the Act of 1917 William's second son or daughters would simply by Mr/Miss
I think the Peerage would be to give Catherine a suitable title as his wife, rather than being styled as "HRH Princess William of Wales".

It wouldn't make any difference for William's children as his eldest son would be HRH Prince X at birth under the 1917 Letters Patent. The other children would be styled Lord/Lady Windsor as great-grandchildren in the male-line of The Sovereign, even if William was not created a Peer.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

A lot of this debate was triggered when I suggested that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, there is little basis for that IMO. However, being styled as Princess Catherine would just be a formal recognition of what she will be called by everybody.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
NO, really thanks for your wisdom.. I have only been posting here for four or five years and had NO idea....please...why do people feel the need to place common sense corrections...She will Still be Queen Catherine.... Enough with the (own Right) she has no rights to title she is marring in to the BRF can we move on.........
I have to remark here that I am glad the posters do post the common sense corrections to statements I've made even though sometimes I slap myself on the head and go "duh... I knew that". When I first started reading here, its how I learned and I imagine that its the same way for many of our members when they first join up and start reading. Its how I learned there is a big difference between a Queen Consort such as the Queen Mum was and Queen Regnant such as Elizabeth now is. Interesting to me too is that this is how I found out why the Queen signs things Elizabeth R. That had puzzled me for a long time.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
It wouldn't make any difference for William's children as his eldest son would be HRH Prince X at birth under the 1917 Letters Patent. The other children would be styled Lord/Lady Windsor as great-grandchildren in the male-line of The Sovereign, even if William was not created a Peer.
I'm wondering if we're going to see William and Kate's second and any after as Lord/Lady Mountbatten-Windsor instead of just Windsor?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
A lot of this debate was triggered when I suggested that Catherine be styled as Princess Catherine. Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, there is little basis for that IMO. However, being styled as Princess Catherine would just be a formal recognition of what she will be called by everybody.
That's exactly what I'd like to see happen too :)

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding