The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarevitch View Post

Isn't it fascinating that there are so many thoughts behind something simple as a title?
Wars were fought and forgeries done for titles and styles, probably because people need to have a name for a thing in order to notice/accept and honour something. That's how human nature works, always naming things in order to see differences...

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
And as there is a precedent in creating Philip a Prince in his own right, also Catherine can be created a Princess in her own right.
Why should Catherine, be allowed to be a Princess in her own right, simply because Philip is? What about Camilla and Sophie or Harry's future wife? Diana was never created a Princess in her own right. Philip was already a Prince before marriage was he not? He's the husband to the sovereign, Catherine is atm the wife of a Prince second in line to the throne.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
It is survival. The common people, especially in the commonwealth are starting to see the royal family as antiquated, as old fashioned and no longer needed. The pomp and ceremony is seen as frivelous, and the family too stuck in the past. The monarchies on the continent have changed and adapted, have made changes to reflect their country and how it is changing and growing. The introduction of equal primogeniture for instance. A monarchy is meant to reflect the people it serves, to be a shinning example of what the country is and stands for. When it clings to out dated sexist standards of women belonging to their husbands, and daughters not being good enough to be heirs, what does that say to the people? Times have changed, and if the monarchy hopes to survive, it needs to as well.
Soooo, if Kate doesn't become Princess Catherine, all that is the British Monarchy will fail? How silly.

I'm all for equal primo, papers can be drawn up now, but it needs to be postponed until William is King. It is a sensitive timing matter, as you know.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

No it's not... It wouldn't affect the direct line of succession at all, and it would be a nice tribute to how fantastic a monarch HM has been- however, that's a topic for another thread. Sexism in titles won't sink the monarchy, but being totally out of sync with the people eventually will. I think William and Kate have wonderful potential as modernizers, but modernizers who will retain the dignity of the monarchy. I'd just like to see her given a title that reflects that purpose, and allowing her a style that includes her first name would be a good move.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

While everyone is certianly entitled to their opinion, I am amazed by the thought that if Catherine is not made a Princess in her own right, or at least if the Queen (and the BRF) does not allow her to be formally called Princess Catherine...it will be seen as antiquated, old fashioned and not needed.

There a lot of issues that face the concept of monarchy and I am afraid that modernism vs. traditional as it relates to women being called by their first name is probably not a priority. Especially when you consider the issues of equal succession, the baring of Roman Catholics, the concept of the cost of the monarcy, etc. I am sorry, but this issue doesn't seem that important as an issue to face. I am sure the British government and the people of Britian are thinking about other things.

I mean when you come down to it...Charles and William (with assistance from their wives) are the future of the monarchy.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
No it's not... It wouldn't affect the direct line of succession at all, and it would be a nice tribute to how fantastic a monarch HM has been- however, that's a topic for another thread. Sexism in titles won't sink the monarchy, but being totally out of sync with the people eventually will. I think William and Kate have wonderful potential as modernizers, but modernizers who will retain the dignity of the monarchy. I'd just like to see her given a title that reflects that purpose, and allowing her a style that includes her first name would be a good move.
There are currently no females with their foot on the footstool to the throne, so the equal primo comments are moot.

Are they really " ...totally out of sync..."

OK, I'm finished with this topic.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Although this is not a thread for the equal primo, IMO it should happen but not right now. Our government has better things to worry about than a law that can easily wait until William has had at least one child.
I'm British and I do not see Catherine being names Princess William as a bad thing, it is how our monarchy works, always has done except in special circumstances.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why should Catherine, be allowed to be a Princess in her own right, simply because Philip is? What about Camilla and Sophie or Harry's future wife? Diana was never created a Princess in her own right. Philip was already a Prince before marriage was he not? He's the husband to the sovereign, Catherine is atm the wife of a Prince second in line to the throne.
Philip renounced his titles (Prince of Greece and Denmark) before his marriage. So The Princess Elizabeth did actually marry a 'commoner': Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten.

There are four decisions involving Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten (formerly H.R.H. Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark):

1st
November 20th 1947
Lieutenant Sir Philip Mountbatten is entitled to hold and enjoy the title, style and attribute of Royal Highness

2nd
November 20th 1947
Unto Lieutenant His Royal Highness Sir Philip Mountbatten and the heirs male of his body is lawfully begotten the dignities of Baron Greenwich in the County of London, Earl of Merioneth and Duke of Edinburgh.

3rd
September 30th 1952
Declaration that His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has, helds and enjoys Place, Pre-eminence and Precedence next to Her Majesty The Queen.

4th
February 22nd 1957
To give and grant unto His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh the style and titular dignity of a Prince of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Administrator

We are SO OFF TOPIC.

This thread is about William, Catherine and titles for their families. Not the styling of the Title...but the actual title.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Philip renounced his titles (Prince of Greece and Denmark) before his marriage.
That doesn't change the fact, that prior to his marriage. He was a Prince.

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge has a lovely ring to it IMO, Windsor could still be an option to bring back some 'grace' to the title. I'm pretty Windsor would be appreciative if it had William as its Duke.

Which other titles are up for serious contention do we think?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Why should Miss Catherine Middleton, who now has the traditional style of Miss Middleton (as the eldest unmarried daughter of the family...), be styled with her first name anyway? We're not personal friends or just introduced to her, so for us when having contact with her she should be Miss Middleton anyway, not Catherine or Kate at all. And after her wedding of course she will be "Your Royal Highness" at first and then "Madam". Even if she became "Princess Catherine", noone should address her as such when talking to her as her style will be HRH.

Her official title will be used by official references to her and then it doesn't matter if she is "Princess William" or "The Duchess of X" IMHO. And the media will call her Princess Kate anyway... even if that is extremely unpolite.

As for us: this is a private forum to talk about Royals and here it is common usage to name the Royals by their first name and sometimes their official title, so it doesn't matter if Catherine is "Princess Catherine" or The Duchess of X.

So what, anyway....
Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm confused by what your post says? Is it that names don't really matter anyway?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Repeat yourselves as much as you like good folk, she won't be made a princess in her own right. Accept it or not, it wont change a thing.

Next...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm confused by what your post says? Is it that names don't really matter anyway?
When it comes to Royalty, the first name is a very private affair, I think. Apart from the kings and queens, of course.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Repeat yourselves as much as you like good folk, she won't be made a princess in her own right. Accept it or not, it wont change a thing.

Next...

We cannot be sure of that, we cannot even be sure that William will be granted a dukedom upon marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
When it comes to Royalty, the first name is a very private affair, I think. Apart from the kings and queens, of course.
Really? The Royal family of any country must realise that they will be reffered to by their first names constantly. In magazines, in the street on public forums like this one. Nothing about them is private anymore, even down to the toilet seat.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Next...

Do you have a glass bowl?

Quote:
We cannot be sure of that, we cannot even be sure that William will be granted a dukedom upon marriage.
Indeed.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We cannot be sure of that
I'll more than happily send you 50 quid (as an expression of one's misguided judgement) in the mail if I'm wrong!

Which I won't be

Quote:
Do you have a glass bowl?
I'm a realist, with many glass bowls

Dillusions of ideological change, where established tradition is, at the current time, evidently resolute, is bound to leave people dissapointed I'm affraid.

May it change at some point, it's possible, though it won't happen during the Queen's tenure. Not after 59 years.

She has no reason to make her grandsons bride a princess in her own right. None at all.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

With the history of the most recent royal unions, I don't think there is a snowball's chance in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks that Kate will be made a Princess of the Realm in her own right.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'll more than happily send you 50 quid (as an expression of one's misguided judgement) in the mail if I'm wrong!

Which I won't be

I'm a realist, with many glass bowls

Dillusions of ideological change, where established tradition is, at the current time, evidently resolute, is bound to leave people dissapointed I'm affraid.

May it change at some point, it's possible, though it won't happen during the Queen's tenure. Not after 59 years.

She has no reason to make her grandsons bride a princess in her own right. None at all.

I agree 100%
Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

We should have a pool/poll re: the title and the tiara. It will be fun to see next month who was dead right and who was dead wrong!

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding