The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
I was thinking about that the other day, I've no idea what is actually possible or not or if anything can be done but if it were possible then I think it'd be a great idea to give them a dukedom in Wales...maybe Duke & Duchess of Carmarthenshire or something. I mean Anglesey would be meaningful to them but seeing as Anglesey is fairly tiny itself I'm not sure it'd be a "major enough" title/dukedom for a future King.
As stated above Anglessy is not an option, not because its too small, but because the Marquess of Anglessy might not like being stripped of his title. Any more then the Duke of Fife would like to be of his.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Nobility

I just heard that the Queen and DoE are visiting Cambridge on April 27. This may be a silly question, but does the Queen have to ask for permission or consult with anyone in the city - or does she do it out of courtesy - before she names William Duke of Cambridge? (If, of course, that is the route she's taking)

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...sandtimes.aspx

Literally, the entry reads: "The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Cambridge." That seems odd, doesn't it? There is no event associated with the entry.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

She wouldn't have to ask anyone to use a place name within her kingdom for a Dukedom.
The visit to Cambridge with no associated events listed could indicate that they will be undertaking more than one event.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
As stated above Anglessy is not an option, not because its too small, but because the Marquess of Anglessy might not like being stripped of his title. Any more then the Duke of Fife would like to be of his.

There would be no need to strip the Marquess of his title in creating William a Duke of the same area - there would simply be two titles relating to Anglessy - one a Marquess and one a Duke.

I doubt that the Queen would create him Duke of there but she could, without it impacting the Marquess at all.

Fife is a different proposition as there is already a Duke.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Nobility

I guess if there is a Marquess of Queensbury and a duke, it is possible, but I think it more plausible he be given his own title. Though with the Queensbury it has more to do with 1 family and the division of titles between heirs, not the new creation of a title for a seprate family. Queensbury has an interesting history, never knew there was a canibal in their family tree.

Why not reinstate an old title or create a new like:

Duke of Monmouth- last held by the eldest illegitamite son of Charles II
Duke of Swansea
Duke of Gwynedd

William, Duke of Monmouth and Earl of Doncaster has a ring to it.

I think though we will end up seeing one of the ones suggested when he became engaged like Duke of Camebridge. It is possible he will remain Prince William, since he will become Prince of Wales when his father becomes king. Harry will most certainly get a title when he weds, as he will eventually be second son to the king, like Andrew.

I do hope if he and Harry are dukes, the letter pattents state heir of either gender, unlike York. There is at least one Scottish dukedome that does. It would be nice if their daughter could inherit, instead of it going defunct if they only have daughters like Andrew's. I know it won't really matter for William, as his dukedome would just merge with the crown, but it would be nice if Harry had daughters like his Uncle, they could inherit. Spain and the UK are the only major monarchies in Europe without equal primogeniture. I'm hoping Spain will finally introduce it, since it has two female heirs. Though I guess as long as Felipe and Letizia have no more children, Leonor will be queen.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

There are a lot of interesting points here but one thing - William won't necessarily become Prince of Wales when his father becomes King. He will become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay but Charles might wait a minute, a day, a week, a month, six months, a year, ten years etc before deciding to create William Prince of Wales.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
William won't necessarily become Prince of Wales when his father becomes King. He will become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay but Charles might wait a minute, a day, a week, a month, six months, a year, ten years etc before deciding to create William Prince of Wales.
I guess Charles will leave it to the Welsh if they want William as their Prince.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
William, Duke of Monmouth and Earl of Doncaster has a ring to it.
For me the Earl of Doncaster will be forever tainted by the Blackadder first series episode "The Queen of Spain's Beard."

"Morning Doncaster!" Classic comedy gold!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_Lulu View Post
For me the Earl of Doncaster will be forever tainted by the Blackadder first series episode "The Queen of Spain's Beard."

"Morning Doncaster!" Classic comedy gold!
"Oh, what a love this must be that you dress as a Spanish man to delight me!"
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There would be no need to strip the Marquess of his title in creating William a Duke of the same area - there would simply be two titles relating to Anglessy - one a Marquess and one a Duke.

I doubt that the Queen would create him Duke of there but she could, without it impacting the Marquess at all.

Fife is a different proposition as there is already a Duke.
Kind of off topic. The house my late husband and I owned sat on leasehold land owned by the Marquess of Anglesey. I used to write a check to him every November. We had a 99 year lease on the land.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Commoner

Contrary to his younger brother Prince Harry, I see no necessity for a title for Prince William. Time is on his side. In a foreseeable future he will become one of the most titled Peers of the Realm. When he is created -for an example- Duke of Cambridge, then this is only for a very limited time because that Dukedom will become 'invisible' after the more prestigious titles Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay.

My advice: let it all go via the 'natural way':

Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess William of Wales
Then: Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall*
Then: Their Royal Highnesses The Prince and Princess of Wales*
Then: Their Majesties The King and The Queen

(* = in Scotland: Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay)
Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

Purple_Lulu & EmpressRouge! You guys are too funny! I remember that show when I was a kid! I will have to watch again to refresh my memory.
KittyAtlanta: Wow thanks for sharing that, it's very interesting, never know what "6 degrees of separation" people will have.

Someone I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading in Majesty or Royalty magazine in their history section that the Duke of Monmouth was beheaded with an ax, but it took so long to finish the job that he actually turned his head incredulously to look at the executioner. That horrible image has stuck with me since. I would prefer something other than Duke of Clarence, or Monmouth. Yet I guess it will be hard to find a title that is completely innocent of all scandal, and tragedy....
Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope Kate doesn't get stuck being called Princess William. It seems so retro and sexist. If William doesn't receive a ducal title, I really hope that Kate will be allowed to use Princess Catherine.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, I agree with hoping she would not have to become known by Princess William. It's a little disturbing actually...

Yet for some reason I have never had a problem with Princess Micheal's title. Not sure why. Maybe I have just become used to it, and she's not exactly a shrinking flower so she hasn't really lost herself in the title!

For that matter I wish she could use Kate, it is cute, and youthful, and what everybody has long these almost ten years known her by. (I realize that it is considered too familiar/casual, etc. but I believe many fans will still call her that affectionately.)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarevitch View Post
Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess William of Wales
Then: Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall*
Then: Their Royal Highnesses The Prince and Princess of Wales*
Then: Their Majesties The King and The Queen

(* = in Scotland: Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay)
Very minor correction...the first titles up there should be "Their Royal Highnesses Prince and Princess William of Wales" (no article until Prince Charles ascends to the Throne). (I know you probably didn't meant it that way, but wanted to avoid any confusion).

I'll stop being pedantic and go lie down.

But before I go, I agree with others that they should get some other title so Catherine won't be called "Princess William". I very much doubt the Queen will let her be called "Princess Catherine", hence the need of some other title.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione
I really hope Kate doesn't get stuck being called Princess William. It seems so retro and sexist. If William doesn't receive a ducal title, I really hope that Kate will be allowed to use Princess Catherine.
Yes, it is retro to call her Princess William, however she'll more than likely be called Princess Kate/Catherine in the press much like Diana was (incorrectly) called Princess Diana. IMO, that's why it's not a big deal if she's officially Princess William, because I am guessing she'll be generally known as Princess Kate/Catherine. :)
Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she could use Kate if she wanted- she seems to use them interchangeably. My name is Genevieve but I typically go by Gen- I'm totally comfortable using either though, and she seems to be as well. She'll likely always be Kate to fans and tabloid press, but Catherine officially. And I don't see them letting her title be "Princess William" because it hurts the image they're building of modern monarchy. It'll be very interesting to see what happens with titles come April 29! Although... Would William receive a ducal title in the days leading up to the wedding if he's going to receive one?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Aristocracy

I think the usual practice is to grant the new title the day before or on the wedding day itself.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, exactly. I was quite young but I remember at Prince Andrew's wedding the commentators were saying something like: the newly styled Duke of York by the Queen that morning, etc. which was nice because it added an extra point of interest to the day to hear his new title (as well as for Fergie).
Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

In essence there is no difference between Prince and Princess William of Wales and Mrs and Mrs William Morris.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding