The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkrcwi View Post
No, if William receives a dukedom, she will be HRH The Duchess of whatever. She will no longer be titled Princess William because William will no longer be titled Prince William of Wales. He'll still be named William and he will still be a Prince of the United Kingdom but his title will be Duke of whatever.
Yes, she would be her full title would be HRH Princess William of Wales, Duchess of X.
But she would be refered to as HRH Duchess of X.
For example countess of wessex's full title is:Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward Antony Richard Louis, Countess of Wessex, Viscountess Severn
Sophie, Countess of Wessex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Majesty

William will not cease being Prince William if he gets a Dukedom. As a result Catherine will also take the feminine of that title - Princess William.
Just because a person has a new title doesn't mean that they lose their former title - they keep both.

William will be a Prince until he becomes King and so his wife will be Princess William until that time (unless the Queen agrees to allow her formally to be called Princess Catherine - which I think is what will happen actually.)

Then when William becomes Duke of Cornwall, Catherine will become Duke of Cornwall but they will still be Prince William and Princess Catherine (William - whichever).

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
...William will be a Prince until he becomes King and so his wife will be Princess William until that time (unless the Queen agrees to allow her formally to be called Princess Catherine - which I think is what will happen actually.)
Really? I am surprised that you think this is a possibility. What changed your mind on the Queen considering this title for Catherine?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Really? I am surprised that you think this is a possibility. What changed your mind on the Queen considering this title for Catherine?
Count me in on that surprise.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I know the traditionalists may not agree, but it would make a lot of sense for Catherine to be styled at Princess Catherine. I am not suggesting that she be created a Princess in her own right, but merely reflect in her style what she will no doubt be referred to.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Nobility

I rather hope she is Princess William for a while. The name is just retro enough to be cool
Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I hope she isn't allowed to become a Princess in her own right, not yet, maybe when Charles becomes King.
Dukedom of Cambridge please.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

While it certainly would be nice for the Queen to make Catherine a princess in her own right, so she's entitled to be called Princess Catherine of Wales, there isn't precedence for that in the BRF like there is in other royal families. Charles strikes me as a more modern person than his mother, so if it were to ever happen, it would more than likely happen during his reign, so I agree with that point.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke and Duchess of Hampshire
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no Duke of Hampshire to give them, there is a Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire, but it's currently in use.

I think Cambridge is the odds on favorite at this point.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes but cant she create one
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I suppose she could create whatever the heck she wanted, seeing as it's her prerogative. I just think it's highly unlikely. It seems more feasible to take a dukedom that exists but is extant, and just make a new creation of it. There hasn't been a Duke of Cambridge since 1904.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Courtier

William Wales?

I seem to remember that William is known as William Wales in his military ...er...group. Why would he be called that if he is actually Mountbatten-Windsor? And would that make Catherine, "Catherine Wales"?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wales is merely his territorial designation, just like Andrew's daughters use "York" for a surname if they need one. Catherine would not be "Catherine Wales" as Wales is not a legal surname, at least for William it isn't (maybe someone out there does have the last name Wales!).

Some info on the Mountbatten-Windsor surname:

Quote:
The Order specifically applies the surname to those descendants of the Queen not holding Royal styles and titles but it has been applied to or informally used by members of the Royal Family descended from Queen Elizabeth II as their surname, as shown at the marriages of the Duke of York and the Princess Royal, both having been registered with Mountbatten-Windsor in their entries in the marriage registers.

On William's banns of marriage, he may list Mountbatten-Windsor as his surname the same as his aunt, uncle, and father did, but it's not his official surname, as he doesn't have one.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

What about the Duke and Duchess Dorset?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dorset is available -- it's been out of use since 1845.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Iluvbertie- I actually do think there's a chance the Queen will allow Catherine to be styled "Princess Catherine".

It's true there's no precedent for it as there is for other royal families, but I think calling her "Princess William" would strike most people as terribly old fashioned- anachronistic in the extreme. As the monarchy has shown inclinations towards modernization for some time now, this strikes me as a good opportunity to demonstrate that they're moving forward.

I'd like to see it happen, personally.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Calling Catherine Princes Catherine might be modern but really...why change what already works?

Already there is a Princess Charles, a Princess Edward, Princess Richard...they are just called by other names....Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Wessex and Duchess of Gloucester.

I think Catherine will be Duchess of Whatever, Princess William.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

See, I would actually say that it doesn't work. In most of the rest of the world, women have some say in whether or not they take their husband's name or keep their own. And very few women choose to be called say, Mrs. John Smith. They're far more likely to go by " Jane Smith" if they take their husband's last name at all.

If it's true that Prince William would prefer to not take a ducal title (and we don't know if it is or not), I'd much rather see Catherine known as Princess Catherine than Princess William and I think the average person would also find Princess William a very off putting way to address her.

But we'll see- it'll be very interesting to see what title she is to be known by, no matter what that title ends up being!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Administrator

But Catherine isn't marrying John Smith, she is marrying into a system has a thousand plus years of history.
And most people won't have to call her Princess Catherine, she will "Mam (or whatever), Your Royal Higness or Duchess"
But we shall see what happens on the 29th.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding