The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Viscount and Viscountess Croydon
They aren't going to give him a Viscountcy and Croydon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I know that there is the Duke of Westminster (the richest man in England, at one time*), so why could there not be another Duke of a borough of London? I know there is lots of tradition attached to any of the titles, but obviously some of them are just adapted for use as needed. Why not a Duke of London or of something similar?

(*JK Rowling's husband is probably the richest now)
1; JK Rowling's husband? It's her money not his. Lakshmi Mittal is the richest man in the UK. Duke of Westminster is 3rd.
2; There could be a Duke of another borough, I just don't Duke of Kesington and Chelsea sounds appropriate.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I don't think so, he is 3rd in line for the throne. He will be kind one day. He will not be vicount any one.
Did Charles have a bastard he has some how claimed, legitimized, and put before William? Last I looked he was second in line for the throne.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, counted foolishly.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

1; JK Rowling's husband? It's her money not his.
Does this mean a commoner can't enjoy the title and style of his spouse?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaadrian View Post
Did Charles have a bastard he has some how claimed, legitimized, and put before William? Last I looked he was second in line for the throne.
You can't legitimize an illegitimate child, so he or she can inherit the crown or just a peerage. If it was possible, Charles I. surely would have done it because he had capable and healthy bastard sons but alas, no legitimate heir.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Does this mean a commoner can't enjoy the title and style of his spouse?
No, he can't. The husband of a peeress in her own right has no share of either her title or her rank. Countess Mountbatten was married to Baron Brabourne. Her eldest son as her heir took her secondary title as Baroness Romsey and used it as a courtesy title till his father, the 7th Baron Brabourne died and he inherited the title of Baron Brabourne in his own right.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
You can't legitimize an illegitimate child, so he or she can inherit the crown or just a peerage. If it was possible, Charles I. surely would have done it because he had capable and healthy bastard sons but alas, no legitimate heir.

Not Charles I, who had at least two legitimate sons - Charles II and James II. I think you meant Charles II.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Wasn't the Beaufort line (John of Gaunt's children) legitimized by Richard II?
And then eventually inherited the throne?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Wasn't the Beaufort line (John of Gaunt's children) legitimized by Richard II?
And then eventually inherited the throne?
Thank you for the correction Iluvbertie, of course I meant Charles II.
As for the Beaufort-children of John of Gaunt, that's what Wikipedia says:
"The Beaufort children, three sons and a daughter, were legitimized by royal and papal decrees after John and Katherine married in 1396, with the proviso that they were specifically barred from inheriting the throne ('excepta regali dignitate')."

I went on to look for sources about this and found that it is disputed that the Beauforts were rightfully escluded from the throne, as the original letters patent which had legitimized them had been signed by Richard II. and ratified by parliament without this exception. Only later Henry IV. changed the letters patent and it is disputed if he could because his change had not been ratified by parliament.

So it seems parliament can legitimize illegitimate children but did probably only once for the Beauforts.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Courtier

Just my little joke...

Quote:
No, he can't. The husband of a peeress in her own right has no share of either her title or her rank. Countess Mountbatten was married to Baron Brabourne. Her eldest son as her heir took her secondary title as Baroness Romsey and used it as a courtesy title till his father, the 7th Baron Brabourne died and he inherited the title of Baron Brabourne in his own right.

I meant JK Rowling's "title" of being the richest woman in England!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic which is a Title for William, Catherine and Family.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Wasn't entirely sure where to ask this but it's basically a title question so figured this thread was best. In another thread there was a bit of a discussion about William being a Knight of the Garter, once they are married will Kate gain this title through being his wife? I know the Royal Family can be made supernumerary members of the Order which don't count towards the number limit of Knights but wasn't sure whether this was done automatically or whether it included those that married into the Royal Family or if it only involved those born of the RF. I mean basically will Kate be a member of the Order & have to wear the full outfit & join William & the other knights at the procession each year just through marriage to William as he already is a Knight of the Order or is this something she will never receive? (unless later chosen to be a member in her own right at some point)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, I don't believe so. Knight of the Garter isn't like other Knighthoods where one's wife will be known as Lady _____ . That's an honor that is bestowed upon someone by the sovereign, not something that is inherited or passed on through marriage.

It's possible that when Charles is King, he could make Catherine a Lady of the Garter, or William might do it when he's King. We don't know. I do think that Catherine will be made one before she becomes Queen, though.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
No, I don't believe so. Knight of the Garter isn't like other Knighthoods where one's wife will be known as Lady _____ . That's an honor that is bestowed upon someone by the sovereign, not something that is inherited or passed on through marriage.

It's possible that when Charles is King, he could make Catherine a Lady of the Garter, or William might do it when he's King. We don't know. I do think that Catherine will be made one before she becomes Queen, though.
I thought that would be the case but then I know Prince Phillip is a member & I wasn't sure whether he'd become a member in his own right & had been bestowed the honour or if he'd just "got" it through marriage to the Queen.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Majesty

Philip was made a KG in his own right by King George VI the day after George VI made Elizabeth one shortly before they married.

The wife of a KG is still Lady xxx because her husband is Sir yyy but the wives don't join the parade or wear the regalia of the order - that is restricted to the holders only.

Based on past experience, Kate will probably have to wait until she is Queen to be a Lady Knight of the Garter. Queen Alexandra was the first Lady Knight of the Garter in over 400 years when Edward VII created her that in 1901 - after she became Queen. George V made Queen Mary a Lady Knight in 1910 - again after the accession and in 1936 Queen Elizabethe Queen Mother also gained that distinction. Based on that precedence I would expect Charles to make Camilla a KG shortly after his accession and William to do so for Kate when he becomes King.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

You don't think they would be just Prince and Princess William?? I am inclined to think they may favour that for a time.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
You don't think they would be just Prince and Princess William?? I am inclined to think they may favour that for a time.
So they could be William and Catherine Mountbatten-Windsor in private (as "Princess William" could use that as her name when she doesn't want to use any title or style) and TRH Prince and Princess William of Wales in public. Nice thought. I can even imagine that for them Mr. and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor would be enough... no, that is Sir William (K.G.) and Lady Mountbatten-Windsor....
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seeing as William is a Prince of the Realm, wouldn't that take precedence style-wise, over that of being a Knight of the Garter? Meaning, he wouldn't be known as "Sir William" because that's a lower rank than being a prince of Wales.

I mean, he's still a knight, and Catherine as the wife of a knight would be a Lady, but she wouldn't be known as Lady Mountbatten-Windsor, because that's lower than her rank by marriage. She'll be Catherine in private and Princess William or The Duchess/Countess of X in public.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Your right SisterM, the higher title always takes precedence. So whilst Catherine will technically be Lady M-W, you would call her by her highest title which will probably be HRH Princess William, Duchess of Somewhere.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Aristocracy

No, if William receives a dukedom, she will be HRH The Duchess of whatever. She will no longer be titled Princess William because William will no longer be titled Prince William of Wales. He'll still be named William and he will still be a Prince of the United Kingdom but his title will be Duke of whatever.

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding