The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What Title will the Queen bestow on William and Catherine?
Duke of Clarence 25 16.45%
Duke of Cambridge 68 44.74%
Duke of Sussex 5 3.29%
Duke of Windsor 8 5.26%
Duke of Kendall 2 1.32%
Earl of Something 8 5.26%
Hey! My choice isn't listed. I think it will be something else. 10 6.58%
Nothing. I think they will remain Prince and Princess William of Wales 26 17.11%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I like it too.
I also like Duke of Richmond.

But I read some speculation that William may not get a title, since the Queen is now in her eighties (Phillip is ninety) and, in the nature of things, a title or two may become available quite soon.
In that case it may not be worthwhile creating one for William (but I hope they do).
Well, I also see nothing wrong with him staying Prince William of Wales and Kate, Princess William of Wales for Hopefully what will be a long while...before the other titles become available but if the Queen does give him a title on his wedding Duke of Richmand is not my frist chocie but not a bad one either ...I like it too...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=FasterB;1203120]So true, so true [/QUOTE

Thankfully. (for the Europenas at any rate).

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I expect Kate to wear "family" tiaras and other jewels after she's married, but I would not expect her to wear a family tiara at her wedding, since she won't be a member of the Royal family till the ceremony's over. Since her own family doesn't have a family tiara, I suspect she will do what Sarah did and wear a floral arrangement in her hair till the paperwork is signed, then walk out sporting a new tiara. I don't think she'll walk out of the church in a family tiara, but in one of her own, which I think will be elegant yet modern.
Oh, I hope she doesn't wear the floral arrangement in and a tiara out. I know she won't be "official" until after she signs the documents, but the flower headpiece switcheroo, in my very honest opinion, is just sooo tacky. If nobody purchases a tiara for her (if that is indeed what will be required), I'd rather see her go without than switch halfway through. (Sorry Fergie lovers!)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Majesty

Catherine isn't a Spencer, though. Diana and her sisters wore the tiara at their weddings because they were daughters of the Earl Spencer; otherwise, only the Countess Spencer has the right to wear it. A bride wears the tiara of her own family unless one is given/loaned to her by the family into which she's marrying, and Catherine's married name won't be Spencer.

Diana and Sarah never wore the fringe tiara. In fact, I think that the only tiara Sarah ever wore was the one she was married in, although I could be wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And, William is also part of the Spencer family is her not, so Catherine should have rights to the Spencer Tiara as well as the royals ones.
Did Sarah or Diana where this tiara when they got married?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Royal Highness

Maybe Catherine surprises us all and does a "queen Mary"? She has designed jewelery before and could be given stones from HM's private collection to design a new tiara which is then made by a jeweller. To be known as the "new title for William and Catherine"-tiara from then one.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Gentry

That's a great idea! I wonder if this forum is ever scanned by BRF? maybe they'll adopt your fine idea of Kate designing her own tiara!! And since it's been a while since this was done( Queen Mary was the last time?) it could also be yet another signifiers of the 'modern monarchy'.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Please note that any posts regarding which (if any) tiara Catherine should wear on April 29th should be posted here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-29273-29.html .

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I'm sorry, Zonk, but it seems that I'm the one who inadvertently started this tiara rampage by mentioning the fringe tiara on this thread.
I apologize....

Now back to the title:
Although I wouldn't be averse to Clarence -
I still think Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is best...

Larry
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

I now like Duke of Albany because its Scottish association. Does anyone know if there any legal issues coming from the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha heirs if the Queen were to grant William (or anyone for that matter) their former title?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Not sure, EmpressRouge; but I believe Ernst can have it if he wants it. Perhaps they have to reserve it for him -- no matter what.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I now like Duke of Albany because its Scottish association. Does anyone know if there any legal issues coming from the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha heirs if the Queen were to grant William (or anyone for that matter) their former title?
The Dukedom of Albany is still extant, but suspended under the Titles Deprivation Act. However, the Coburgs still have the legal right under the Act to petition the Crown for restoration of their peerages, so it's not available to be created as a dukedom.

It could be created as something else (i.e. Earl of Albany), but this is highly unlikely.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post

Simple answer - yes - there is a legal impediment.

The Duke of Albany title isn't available as there are claimants. It will only become available again in the same way as any other title - when there are no more male heirs - and the title merges with the Crown.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Gentry

Wow how do you guys know all this??? In particular branchg re the Duke if Albany title et sequelae!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Deborah View Post
Wow how do you guys know all this??? In particular branchg re the Duke if Albany title et sequelae!

We read, we have an interest and retain it, we teach it, we have grown up with it etc.

My brother remembers football scores from 30 years ago in particular games because that is his interest - same thing - we retain information of interest to us and forget the rest.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Gentry

Ah. Well I guess that since my awareness is only a few years on as far as this stuff is concerned I can forgive myself for being still a learner.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Ah. Well I guess that since my awareness is only a few years on as far as this stuff is concerned I can forgive myself for being still a learner.
I say you could still forgive yourself for still being a learner when you would have years of awareness. Even the most educated people still don't know everything, it's only natural
Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I am always learning stuff here and elsewhere. Don't worry that someone knows more as you will have your own area of expertise.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks everyone for responding to my question! I knew I could count on fellow royal forum fans to know the answer.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

Hello everyone. I am making my first post on here today. I feel that the Clarence Dukedom will be given to the Prince because the last Duke of Clarence was the last King William.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
Hello everyone. I am making my first post on here today. I feel that the Clarence Dukedom will be given to the Prince because the last Duke of Clarence was the last King William.
Reverse that...the last British king named William (William IV) was a Duke of Clarence...

Closed Thread

Tags
duke, prince william & catherine middleton wedding, titles, william & kate wedding